University of Detroit Mercy is thankful for all the men and women who have bravely served our country. Veterans add a highly valued voice to the Detroit Mercy community.

The life experiences students bring from military service can provide a unique perspective in the classroom, student groups and campus events.

Detroit Mercy is proud to participate in the following eligible programs:

  • Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty (Chapter 30)
  • Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
  • Post 9/11 GI Bill® – Chapter 33 including Yellow Ribbon
  • Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
  • Veteran Readiness and Employment – Veterans with Disabilities (Chapter 31)

The Detroit Mercy VA Certifying Official is Diane M. Praet, Associate Vice President and University Registrar. She can be reached at 313-993-3313 or

Many of the service offices on campus have designated individuals who will work with veterans and their spouses or dependents. Offices including Admissions, Financial Aid, Student Accounting, Center for Career and Professional Development, Student Success Center, Wellness Center as well as the individual colleges/schools/faculty advisors are all available to promote student support and success.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government GI Bill® website.

Michigan Military Service benefit consulation

Open All | Close All


    Steps to apply for GI Bill® Education Benefits

    1. Visit the GI Bill® Website at to apply online and learn more about education benefit descriptions and payment rates. If you have already applied and would like to know the status of your application, please call 1-888-GI-BILL-1 and speak with a Veteran Benefits Counselor.
    2. Once you have been approved, you will be sent a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). This will provide you with the chapter benefits for which you are eligible and the rate of pay you will receive. You will need to provide a copy of this letter or print the information from to the VA Certifying Official at Detroit Mercy no later than the first day of a course of education.  You may also need to provide additional information necessary to ensure the proper certification of enrollment to the VA by Detroit Mercy's certifying official.
    3. If the VA is not covering your entire tuition and fees for the semester you are required to make payment or payment arrangements based on your personal financial obligation after the expected VA benefit disbursement.  If you need assistance you can apply for financial aid using the FAFSA. Detroit Mercy will not impose any penalty, including any assessment of late fees, denial of access to classes or other institutional facilities, or require the covered individual to borrow additional funds because of the individual's inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to delayed disbursement funding from VA under Chapter 31 or 33.
    4. If you are a current service member who would like to transfer Chapter 33 benefits to a dependent.

    Steps to begin using your benefits at University of Detroit Mercy

    In order to begin using your benefits, you must apply for admission to University of Detroit Mercy and be accepted into a degree program. Please contact Donna Gormely at 313-993-1245 or for more information. You can apply for admissions.

    To begin using your GI Bill® benefits at University of Detroit Mercy, please submit the following forms to the Office of the Registrar either in person, by fax 313-993-3317 or by email to

    1. Detroit Mercy VA Education Benefit Enrollment Certification Form (pdf)
    2. Certificate of Eligibility (If you have not received your COE from the VA yet, please submit the Detroit Mercy Enrollment form for processing. Your COE can be submitted to us once you receive it from the VA.)
    3. Eligibility for Chapter 31 Veteran Readiness and Employment

      You can apply: 

      By mail 
      Fill out an Application for Vocational Rehabilitation for Claimants with Service-Connected Disabilities (VA Form 28-1900). 
      Get VA Form 28-1900 to download 

      Send your completed application here: 

      Department of Veterans Affairs 
      VR&E Intake Center 
      PO Box 5210 
      Janesville, WI 53547-5210 

      In person 
      Go to a VA regional office and have a VA employee help you. 
      Find a VA regional office near you 

      Once you have been accepted for VR&E Chapter 31 education benefits your VR&E counselor will submit approval to the university.  Make sure you apply for Admissions. 

    4. If you are an undergraduate student, send us your Joint Services Military transcript (JST) (JST request form) so we can evaluate and see if you can earn transfer credit towards your Detroit Mercy degree. A copy of your DD214 with three years of military service can also give you four elective undergraduate credits.

    How Do I Get a COE?


    This option is available for active-duty, veteran and dependent Ch.33 Post 9/11 GI Bill recipients only. You must register for a Premier account through eBenefits, which is a free account. You must have the Premier eBenefits account otherwise it will not populate the COE for viewing/printing. 

    You may print off a copy of your COE by:

    Logging onto eBenefits

    • On the “Welcome” page, select the “Manage Your Benefits” option at the bottom
    • Under the “Manage Benefits” option, select the “Status Tracking” option
    • In the “Education” block, you should see a link for the benefit you are eligible for
    • Select the “Enrollment Status” Link (Post 9/11 GI Bill®, Montgomery GI Bill, etc.)
    • Print the page entitled “Education Enrollment Status” and submit it to the Office of Veteran and Military Services.

    You may obtain a copy of your COE by:

    Go to the GI Bill website.

    • Select the “Submit a Question” option
    • If you have an existing account, log in
    • If not, you will need to use the “Sign up” link to establish an account
    • Once you are logged in, select the “Ask a Question” tab at the top
    • For subject, put “GI Bill® Certificate of Eligibility”
    • For question, put in something like “I am requesting a duplicate copy of my GI Bill® Certificate of Eligibility be mailed to me.
    • Product is “GI Bill®”
    • Category is the benefit you are eligible for
    • Under the benefit you are eligible for, select eligibility
    • Submit your request.
    • A duplicate Certificate of Eligibility will be mailed to you.

    Steps to continue using your benefits at University of Detroit Mercy

    1. At the end of each month:  Verify your continued enrollment status (Chapters 30, 1606, 1607 or 33) in order to continue receiving a monthly housing allowance (MHA) and/or kickers.  If you do not receive MHA or kicker, you will not need to verify your enrollment status.   If you fail to verify your enrollment status for two consecutive months, VA will withhold your monthly housing allowance and/or kicker payments until they receive notification of your enrollment status.

      Make sure your VA education records have an up-to-date mobile phone number and/or email address.  If you are unsure that your education record contains up-to-date contact information please contact VA using one of the following methods.  Call the Education Call Center at 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551) Monday to Friday 7am to 6pm Central Time.   OR  Online through Ask VA at  If you have never used this system, you will need to create an account.

      You should get a text message from VA asking if you would like to use text messages to verify your enrollment.  When you opt-in, they will send you a text message each month asking if you continue to be enrolled.

    2. Each Semester: Diane Praet, Associate Vice President & University Registrar, will certify your continued enrollment. If you do not wish to use your VA benefits for that semester, please contact her by email at before you register for that semester.

    PLEASE NOTE: If you withdraw from one or more of your classes it could affect your eligibility for VA Benefits. It is your responsibility to notify the VA Certifying Official if you add or drop any courses during the semester.


    Michigan National Guard State Tuition Assistance Program

    As of Fall 2016, the University of Detroit Mercy participates in the Michigan National Guard State Tuition Assistance Program (MINGSTAP).

    • Public Act 259 of 2014 established the Michigan National Guard State Tuition Assistance Program (MINGSTAP) to provide tuition assistance to members of the Michigan National Guard who are attending any public or private college, university, vocational school, technical school or trade school located in Michigan.  For more information about the program, please call 517-481-7640 or email

      • Up to $6000 for certification or master's degree programs
      • Up to $14,400 for baccalaureate degree programs  

      MINGSTAP is available to members of the Michigan National Guard who (1) are active in the National Guard (including the traditional service of one weekend/month and two weeks/year; (2) are not absent without leave or under MCMJ or UCMJ charges; and (3) meet the additional criteria established by the TAG consistent with the guard's recruiting and retention requirements.

      For information on Public Act 259 of 2014  and Frequently Asked Questions, please visit the DMVA webpage

    Point of Contact: 
    Department of Military and Veterans Affairs
    State Operations – Office of Financial Services
    3423 N. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
    Lansing, MI 48906
    Phone: 517-481-7640 Fax: 517-481-7644 Email:


    Questions about VA Benefits

    Got a question about your VA benefits, health care, eligibility? You might want to check VA’s website, where you can access a new interactive chatbot to ask questions—24 hours a day, seven days a week.

    Veterans, caregivers and families can still browse the website or search it for information, but in addition you can now ask specific questions to the chatbot. The recently launched feature is one way VA is working to offer seamless and secure access to VA’s online resources.

    VA’s Veterans Experience Office and the Office of Information and Technology teamed up to design the chatbot so users can easily obtain answers to some of the most common questions, resulting in a timely, on-demand service.

    User questions to the bot have mostly related to the following topics:

    • Education
    • Claims
    • General benefit eligibility
    • Health care

    Veterans and their family members can access the new interactive chatbot through’s ‘Contact Us Page’ and then clicking the ‘Start Chat’ button.

Veterans Benefits Frequently Asked Questions

Open All | Close All


    Am I eligible for VA educational benefits?

    Only the VA can determine your eligibility for benefits. Review the program details at the GI Bill® website and apply online, or call a VA counselor at 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551).

    Does the VA pay my full tuition?

    It depends on your chapter and eligibility. Certain GI Bill® chapters make tuition payments directly to the University, while others make the payments directly to you on a monthly basis. You are responsible for paying for all tuition and fees not covered by VA. Your personal financial balances (not paid by VA) result in holds that prevent registration. Please check with the VA certifying official if there is a balance on your account that is unexpected.

    Schools must report the actual net cost of tuition and fees after the application of any waiver of, or reduction in tuition and fees, any scholarship, or other federal, state, institutional or employer-based aid or assistance (excluding Title IV Aid) that is provided directly to the institution and specifically designated for the sole purpose of defraying tuition and fees. The key in determining the actual net cost for tuition and fees is excluding aid that is designated for the sole purpose of tuition and fees.

    In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA.

    University of Detroit Mercy will permit any covered individual to attend or participate in the course of education during the period beginning on the date on which the individual provides to the educational institution a certificate of eligibility (COE) for entitlement to educational assistance under chapter 31 or 33 (a certificate of eligibility can also include a Statement of Benefits obtained from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) website, e-Benefits, or VAF 28-1905 form for chapter 31 authorization purposes) and ending on the earlier of the following dates:

    1. The date on which payment from VA is made to the institution.
    2. 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the certificate of eligibility.

    Detroit Mercy will not impose any penalty, including the assessment of late fees, the denial of access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities, or the requirement that a covered individual borrow additional funds, on any covered individual because of the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to the institution due to the delayed disbursement funding from VA under chapter 31 or 33. The COE or VAF 28-1905 must be presented to the institution no later than the first day of class.

    Detroit Mercy will not drop any covered individual after the university office receives a copy of the VAF-28-1905 or receives a chapter 33 Post 911 Eligibility form from the certifying official who do not have additional charges such as housing, meal plans, or anything above the Tuition and Fees if VA covers 100%. If extra charges such as housing or meal plans do not have a payment plan or other financial aid to cover those amounts, that student may be dropped for lack of  payment.

    Detroit Mercy will not hold a loan or Pell Grant as collateral to any covered individual which meets the criteria above, while the institution is awaiting payment by VA. Detroit Mercy will disperse loans and Pell Grants with the same schedule as the student population. If the student has additional charges above Tuition and Fees, such as housing, meal plans, or anything above the Tuition and Fees, Detroit Mercy may hold Pell Grants and loans until the entire extra charges are paid  If VA does not pay the institution, the student is responsible for ALL debts resulting from reductions or terminations of the student’s enrollment, even if the payment was submitted directly to the school on the student’s behalf. 

    Detroit Mercy reserves the right to require an additional payment or impose a fee for the amount that is the difference between the amount of the student’s financial obligation and the amount of the VA education benefit disbursement.


    Does University of Detroit Mercy participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program?

    Yes, Detroit Mercy participates in the Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program (Yellow Ribbon Program). This program allows institutions of higher learning to voluntarily enter into an agreement with VA to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate.

    The tuition and fee cap for 2023-24 for private institutions is $27,120.05. Yellow Ribbon Program funds may apply to tuition and fee costs exceeding the cap at private institutions. The institution can contribute up to 50 percent of those expenses and the VA will match the same amount as the institution. For the 2023-24 academic year, the number of Yellow Ribbon recipients at Detroit Mercy is unlimited for undergraduate degrees and unlimited for master's degrees, excluding the School of Dentistry which doesn't participate for master's degrees. The School of Dentistry will award two DDS students up to $10,000 in Yellow Ribbon each year. The School of Law will award up to five students at $10,000 each year.

    Yellow Ribbon Program Select Schools Best in Northeast Region


    Am I eligible to receive regular financial aid while receiving VA benefits?

    You may be eligible for additional financial aid — please contact Rita Yeremin at or 313-993-3341 in the Office of Financial Aid and scholarships for more information. Each student at Detroit Mercy is assigned a financial aid counselor to assist you if you intend to use financial aid while enrolled at Detroit Mercy.

    How long will it take to receive my Veterans benefits?

    Your enrollment certification will be processed by the VA Certifying Official. New claims typically take 3-4 weeks for the VA to process — sometimes longer depending on current processing volume. Certifications are processed through the VA Regional Processing Office in Buffalo, NY.

    Note: The VA is generally overwhelmed with claims at the beginning of each semester. Always allow the VA 3-4 weeks to process any change in your claim. Once your initial claim is processed, you will receive your payments monthly, as applicable.


    What should I do if I don't get a payment?

    While attending school you must verify your attendance each month by using the WAVE system (Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607). You won't be paid for a month until the month is over and you verify that you were still in attendance for that month.

    If you are receiving benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill®-Chapter 33, you do not have to verify your attendance each month.

    If you do not receive a payment, please contact VA to confirm that a payment has been issued. You can contact VA at 1-888-442-4551.


    What changes should I report to the VA Certifying Official at University of Detroit Mercy?

    To avoid delays or overpayment of VA education benefits, each VA benefit recipient is responsible for reporting any changes in status to the VA certifying official, including change of address, change of major, change in enrollment status (e.g. drop from full to part-time, or withdrawal from a course) or a complete withdrawal from school.

    You may contact University of Detroit Mercy VA Certifying Official Diane Praet at 313-993-3313 or


    Can I take courses at another institution and receive my benefits and meet my degree requirements?

    Yes. You must notify the VA certifying official at the school where you are receiving your degree that you want to take classes at another institution, known as the Secondary School. The institution where you are receiving your degree is the Parent School. Once you have permission from your college office at Detroit Mercy to take classes at another school and you register at the other school, you must provide the Parent School a copy of your schedule from the Secondary School. The courses must be transferable and satisfy the requirements for the degree you are pursuing at the Parent School. The Parent School will send a letter to the Secondary School stating the classes you are registered for will transfer and satisfy the requirements for the degree you are pursuing. The Secondary School will not be paid by the VA until the process takes place.

    If you are concurrently enrolled at both institutions during the same semester, both institutions will submit a certification to the VA for the courses being taken at that institution. You must request certification at the secondary school by contacting their VA certifying official.

    University of Detroit Mercy will waive the graduation requirement that the last 30 credits for active-duty service members must be earned at University of Detroit Mercy, if all other requirements have been satisfied. Reservists and National Guardsmen on active-duty are covered in the same manner.


    Is there a restriction on what courses I can take while I receive VA tuition benefits?

    VA will only pay for courses that are part of your degree requirements. See your Degree Evaluation in your My Portal account. If you have questions about your Degree Evaluation, see your academic advisor or speak with a member of the Transfer Credit/Degree Audit Team in the Office of the Registrar at 313-993-1940.


    What should I do if I am notified that I am getting deployed?

    You should notify the VA certifying official and provide a copy of your orders. Depending on the timing within the semester, you may be withdrawn without penalty or may be eligible for incomplete grades. This is something that is reviewed by your college or school dean's office and the VA certifying official to see what would be in your best interest.

    Can I use my VA educational benefits for a graduate degree?

    If you have not exhausted your benefits, they may be used towards a graduate degree.

    I am using Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation benefits. How do I obtain a book and supplies voucher?

    Your Vocational Rehabilitation counselor through Veteran Readiness and Employment (VR & E) will authorize your tuition and fees as well your books and supplies through the TUNGSTEN system which allows the university and the Barnes and Noble Bookstore on campus to bill VA for your charges.  Please make sure your counselor does the authorization for you each semester.  If you have any questions about your billing with VR&E please contact Thomas Jones in the Student Accounting Office at or 313-993-1417


    Will I automatically receive benefits next semester?

    Yes, as long as you remain eligible and wish to continue using your benefits. This certification is then sent to the Buffalo Regional Processing Office.

    PLEASE NOTE: Your Detroit Mercy email address is the official method of communication. It is important you watch your email for important communications regarding the use of your VA education benefits.


    Does University of Detroit Mercy have a student veterans organization?

    Yes, the University has a student veteran organization called UDMVSO. The chapter is recognized by the Student Veterans of America (SVA). The president for the 2023-24 academic year is Jeff Brooks and he can be reached at The faculty advisor for the UDMVSO is veteran Mark Benvenuto, professor of Chemistry. The UDMVSO meets approximately once per month during the Fall and Winter semesters. There is also a listserv for UDMVSO members. Please contact Diane Praet, Detroit Mercy VA certifying official, if you want to be included in the listserv membership.

    There is Veteran Student Lounge on the McNichols Campus in Life Science room 121.  The lounge is available 24/7 and veteran students who are registered can be issued a key for access.  The lounge has study tables, comfortable chairs and couches as well a microwave, refrigerator and TV.

    Please visit the Office of the Registrar to have a key issued to you for use of that space.


    Where can I get assistance at Detroit Mercy?

    Tutoring: Student Success Center (3rd Floor in the Library) offers free tutoring in most freshman and some upper-division courses. Detroit Mercy also offers study groups conducted by tutors who sit in on specific sections of targeted courses throughout the term and run weekly study sessions primarily in the areas of math, science and statistics.

    Student Accessibility Services: Contact Student Accessibility Services (3rd Floor in the Library) at 313-578-0310. Student accessibility services are available to all currently enrolled students at Detroit Mercy who have a documented disability that limits them in one or more major life activities. Individuals eligible for services include, but are not limited to, the following types of disabilities: mobility, orthopedic, hearing, visual, learning and attentional.

    Academic advising: At Detroit Mercy each student is assigned an individual academic advisor within your college/school or department. The name of your academic advisor is displayed on your My Portal account. In most degree programs you need to meet with your academic advisor before you can register for the next semester. The advisor will release your advising pin allowing you to use the online registration system.

    Personal counseling services: The Wellness Center provides personal counseling and is a no-cost counseling office that provides an appropriate and safe place for individual, group and family counseling for Detroit Mercy students. Personal counseling is within the Wellness Center located in the West Quad Residence Hall or call 313-993-1185.

    University of Detroit Mercy School of Law: The Veterans Law Clinic at the University of Detroit Mercy School of Law provides second- and third-year law students the opportunity to represent military veterans and their families in disability cases and related matters. Students will primarily practice before the Department of Veterans Affairs to obtain veterans benefits for service-connected disabilities. Contact or 313-596-0235.

    Transfer Credit: Admissions requires official University transcripts sent from any other institution you've attended directly to Detroit Mercy; this includes your ACE Military Evaluation. In addition to this, please submit your DD214 form, which may qualify you for additional elective credit. If you've already been admitted, please send your DD214 to:

    Transfer Credit Team
    University of Detroit Mercy
    Office of the Registrar
    4001 W. McNichols Rd.
    Detroit, MI 48221-3038

    Center for Career and Professional Development

    The Center for Career & Professional Development (CCPD) partners with students and alumni to enhance their educational goals, career development and job or internship search as they transition from college to career. Here are some of the military friendly employers we work with:

    • Aflac
    • Alliance Catholic Credit Union
    • Beaumont Health
    • Comerica Bank
    • Denso
    • DTE Energy
    • EATON
    • Enterprise Holdings
    • Express Employment Professionals
    • FCA US
    • Ford
    • GM
    • G-Tech
    • Henry Ford Health Systems
    • Hollingsworth Logistics Group
    • Home Watch Care Givers
    • LINK Engineering
    • Michigan Department of Corrections
    • Michigan Department of Health & Human Services
    • Michigan First Credit Union
    • Michigan State Police
    • Oakland County Government
    • Quicken Loans
    • Road Commission for Oakland County
    • Roush
    • Sparrow
    • Stryker
    • Teksystems
    • Thomson Reuters
    • Trinity Transportation
    • Washtenaw County Road Commission

    Have more questions?

    If you have additional questions, many can be answered at the Federal Ask VA website. Or feel free to contact the Detroit Mercy VA Certifying Official at 313-993-3313 or

Veteran Crisis Line

Are you a Veteran in crisis or concerned about one?

You're not alone—the Veterans Crisis Line is here for you. You don't have to be enrolled in VA benefits or health care to call.

Dial 988 then Press 1
Chat Online
or Text 838255

Military Friendly School

military friendly school 23-23 silver

As a 2023-24 Military Friendly School, Detroit Mercy is among colleges, universities and trade schools throughout the U.S. that are doing the most to embrace military service members, veterans and spouses as students and ensure their success on campus.

Michigan Veteran-Friendly School


Detroit Mercy has once again been designated a Gold-certified Michigan Veteran-Friendly School by the Michigan Veterans Affairs Agency. The Michigan Veteran-Friendly School program is designed to formally recognize academic institutions of higher learning committed to supporting the needs of student veterans and dependents. 

A circular logo with, Yellow Ribbon Program, Select Schools, Best in the Northeast Region

The Yellow Ribbon Program is a partnership between schools and the VA to provide additional funding for veterans' education. Detroit Mercy was selected as one of the "Top Picks for the Most Military-Supportive Colleges and Universities in the Northeastern U.S." in 2023.

Best Colleges for Veterans

2021 Best college US News

Detroit Mercy was again ranked among the top 200 national universities by U.S. News & World Report, earning a No. 185 rank in the National Universities category of the publication’s “Best Colleges” 2024 edition. Detroit Mercy received favorable recognition in several special categories, including Best Value Schools, National Universities – No. 31; and Best School for Veterans, National Universities – No. 129.