Registrar Frequently Asked Questions

Students holding up a sign that says #DetroitMercy Boundless

Open All | Close All


    How can I change my address?

    Log into your My Portal account and click on the Self Service tab, then click on the Student tab. Next click on the Personal Information tab, which will list View Address and Phones and Update Address and Phones as well as other important items. It is important to keep your address and contact information up-to-date while you are enrolled at Detroit Mercy. You should also keep your emergency contact information current. Students who don't have a current home address on file may have a hold on their records until an active address is provided.

    How do I change my name?

    Copies of your legal/court documents showing the name change need to be submitted to the Office of the Registrar in order to officially change your name at Detroit Mercy. You can FAX, mail or bring them in person. Name changes must be completed before applying for graduation for diploma-ordering purposes.

    In most cases, you must update your Social Security card before you request a change to your name on your University of Detroit Mercy records.

    Detroit Mercy students who are not employed by the University of Detroit Mercy:
    Present your new marriage license or court order to the Registrar's Office at 4001 W. McNichols Road, Student Union 114.

    Acceptable Documents to Support a Name Change

    For U.S. citizens:

    • Certified copy of a birth certificate.
    • Consular report of birth abroad.
    • Copy of a marriage license or divorce decree indicating restoration of previous name.
    • Court-issued order of name change for any other reason.
    For international students:
    • Certified copy of a birth certificate.
    • Copy of a marriage license or divorce decree indicating restoration of previous name.
    • Court-issued order of name change for any other reason.
    • Undamaged passport with unexpired U.S. Visa.

    Detroit Mercy Employees

    Present your new Social Security card to Human Resources, 2nd floor of the Fisher Administration Center, 313-993-1036.


    How can I obtain proof of enrollment for lenders, insurance purposes or for anyone (including my parents) who need proof that I am a student at Detroit Mercy?

    Log into your My Portal account and click on the Self Service tab. Next you will click on the Student tab and then click on the Student Records tab. Once you have clicked on the Student Records tab, you will see a link for the National Student Clearinghouse. Click on that link and a new browser window will open. Once that has been opened, check the option to obtain enrollment verification.

    You can obtain an enrollment certificate for a specific semester or for your full history at Detroit Mercy. 


    How can I view my mid-term or final grades?

    Log into your My Portal account and click on the Self Service tab then the Student tab. Next, click on the Student Records and then click on the link for Mid-Term or Final Grades. Not all faculty members submit mid-term grades in My Portal. Grades are only available online and paper copies of grades are not mailed.

    What if all my final grades aren’t showing in My Portal?

    Faculty members submit their final grades after the end of each course based on when the final exam takes place and when the deadline is for submission. Sometimes there are circumstances where final grades may be delayed. If you don't see all your grades, check back in My Portal again. During final exam week, grades are added once a day, and on the day grades are due, final grades are added throughout the day until they are all recorded.

    How do I get a copy of my schedule?

    Log into your My Portal account and click on the Self Service tab, and then click on the Student tab. You will then click on the Registration tab and then click on the link for Student Detail Schedule. Your schedule is available 24/7. It is strongly recommended to check your schedule before classes begin to view any changes that may have been updated since your registration — like instructor names, room assignments, etc.

    How do I get a copy of my transcript?

    You may place your transcript order online through the National Student Clearinghouse. To order online, go to National Student Clearinghouse.

    If you are unable to order online, you may also submit the transcript request form to us via mail or fax. Please review our Transcript page for more information. 



    I need a copy of my official transcript with my degree/certificate earned showing. How does that happen?

    Once final grade processing is completed at the end of each semester then college and schools begin the final degree certification process for degrees or certificates awarded that semester. This information is then sent to the Office of the Registrar to be added to individual student records. This process can take days or weeks after a semester has ended due to a variety of factors. Be assured that this is a priority for both college and school offices and the Office of the Registrar. Check your Academic History in My Portal to see if your degree has been added to your record, especially if you need to order an official transcript showing your degree completion.

    Why can’t I register for my classes online?

    Most programs require advisor approval before you can register. Contact your advisor regarding your ability to register. An advisor can release your advising hold once permission has been given for you to register for the upcoming semester. Online registration ends at midnight the night before the semester begins. Any add or drop transactions after the semester starts must be made on a paper form with appropriate signatures.

    Unclassified, guest, consortium and high school students are not permitted to use My Portal for registration due to the specific circumstances regarding enrollment in those categories. Students in those classifications must submit their registration on a paper Advising and Registration/Change in Registration form (pdf) with appropriate signatures.


    I missed the Add/Drop deadline; can I still enroll or drop from a course?

    The last day to add a class or drop a class without a "W" is listed in the Academic Calendar each semester. In addition, the Last Date to Withdraw with a "W" is listed on every course in the Schedule of Classes. Any late adds or late withdraws are considered on a case-by-case basis and require the permission of the associate dean or dean of the college/school that you are enrolled in using the Advising and Registration/Change in Registration form (pdf).

    If a class is closed/full, can I still be added into the course?

    In some cases, you can still be added to the class with permission from the instructor. If permission is given before the semester starts, an override can be processed by the college office in My Portal, which allows you to register for the closed class. If the permission to add a closed class is granted after the semester begins, then the instructor must sign for you to add the closed class on an Advising and Registration/Change in Registration form (pdf) .

    How do I make changes to my schedule after I have registered?

    You can add/drop courses anytime between your initial registration and midnight before the first day of the semester. Changes to registration once the semester begins need to be processed on a paper Advising and Registration/Change in Registration form (pdf) with signatures from your advisors and dean's office.

    How do I withdraw from all my classes at the University?

    You can withdraw from all your classes online anytime between your initial registration and midnight before the first day of the semester. Changes to your registration once the semester begins need to be processed on a paper Advising and Change in Registration form with signatures from your advisors and dean's office. Withdrawing from all classes requires a last date of attendance once the semester has started. You may also need to contact Admissions (new students), Financial Aid, Residence Life or your dean's office if you totally withdraw for the semester, all depending on your individual circumstances.

    If I drop a class or totally withdraw from classes, how do I know if my tuition charges will be reduced?

    The Student Accounting office posts the University Refund Schedule.

    How do I obtain an unofficial transcript?

    Log into your My Portal account and click on the Self Service tab, then click on the Student tab. Then click on the Student Records and then click on the link Academic History. Your Academic History is a list of all the courses you have taken by semester with grades and your GPA. This is not an official transcript.

    What is the process for faculty/course evaluations?

    The faculty/course evaluation site is You will need your My Portal student ID number to use the system minus the beginning two characters "T0."

    The faculty/course evaluation process is important in providing feedback for continuous improvement and is encouraged. Please be aware of the appropriate window of time for your courses. Please note, for students taking courses from more than one college, each faculty/course evaluation window is governed by the school/college where the course is housed. Thus, if a student has a course taught by the College of Liberal Arts & Education and a course taught in the College of Business Administration, the open window for evaluation could be different for both courses. The School of Dentistry and the School of Law follow their own process.

    You may access the system from any internet-connected computer whether on or off campus. For those who prefer to use a University computer, systems are available in the ITS labs on the McNichols Campus. All evaluations are completely anonymous. If you are unsure of the open window for your courses, check with your professor for the exact dates.


    How do I obtain my student ID number, otherwise known as My Portal ID number?

    Log into your My Portal account and click on the Self Service tab, then click on the Student tab. Then click on Registration and then click on the link for Student Detail Schedule. Your student ID will appear in the top right hand corner of the page. If you are unable to log into My Portal, you can come to the Registrar's Office or the ITS Help Desk with a valid picture ID and obtain your student ID number.

    How many credits do I need to be enrolled in to be considered full time?

    Full time for undergraduate students is 12 or more credit hours in one semester and for graduate students 9 or more credit hours is required to be full-time. There are a small number of exceptions to these full-time rules.

    Why can’t I view my grades or see my academic history in My Portal?

    Some holds on your student account may prevent access to viewing grades on My Portal.

    How do I know who my advisor is?

    Each student is assigned an advisor at Detroit Mercy. Your major advisor's name can be found on your My Portal account. Click on Student Records and then View Student Information. You can also send an email message to or call the Registrar's Office at 313-993-3313 to obtain the information on who has been assigned as your primary advisor. Your advisor assignment is subject to change during your career at Detroit Mercy for a variety of reasons. Students who would like to be assigned to a specific advisor or would like to have their major advisor changed, should make that request to the chair of their major department.

    Where can I view the University catalog?

    The current undergraduate and graduate catalogs as well as archived catalogs (Undergraduate 2001 to present and Graduate 2002 to present) can be found at The University does not print a paper copy of the undergraduate or graduate catalog.

    Where can I find a course description?

    Course descriptions can be found in the online catalog at You can also view a course description through My Portal by clicking on Student, then Registration, then Look Up Classes. Choose the semester and then the course you want to view. Once you are on the specific course, then click on View Catalog Entry.

    If you need a course description from prior to 2001 (undergraduate) or 2002 (graduate), please send an email message to or call 313-993-3313. Copies can be sent to you by fax, email or by mail by providing your name and contact information. Copies of old catalogs can also be found on the Library and Instructional Design Studio special archive pages.


    How do I get a copy of a course syllabus?

    Course syllabi are provided to students each semester as part of registration in a course. Contact the instructor or the dean’s office for that course subject if you need prior course syllabi and they can tell if one is available or not. Some faculty also have their course syllabi available in My Portal. Go to Student, Registration and Look Up Classes. Once you have found the specific course section if a course syllabus is available, it will show in the Class Schedule Listing as "Syllabus Available."

    How do I declare or change my major?

    Talk to your advisor if you want to declare a major or visit the department of a new major you want to change to. Advisors will be able to discuss the options with you. It is strongly recommended that students choose both their majors and any minors no later than the beginning of their junior year. Some majors have specific admissions requirements or limits. In some cases, changing your major may require additional semesters of study and change your original expected date of graduation depending on when the major is chosen. This may also impact your financial aid and scholarships, so please plan accordingly.

    How do I add a minor?

    Talk to your advisor if you are interested in a minor. You can also find contact information about minors in the Undergraduate Catalog. Visit the current catalog at and choose a minor listed for more information about the minor and the contact person for that minor.

    How do I apply for Veteran’s benefits?

    If you are eligible for Veteran's benefits, visit the Office of the Registrar in SU 114 or contact the office at 313-993-3313. Paperwork is required to start using your veteran's educational benefits at Detroit Mercy. You will need to be prepared to discuss whether or not this is the first time you are using your benefits and which chapter benefits you are covered under. The University does not have a separate veteran's affairs office but there are resource persons available in many offices. Visit


    How are my lenders notified that I am attending classes at Detroit Mercy for deferment on my student loans?

    The University partners with the National Student Clearinghouse for loan verification. Each semester the University sends electronic files directly to the Clearinghouse on a monthly basis on who is enrolled at least halftime for loan purposes. The Clearinghouse then works directly with lenders to provide them with your enrollment information. You can view your student loan deferment notifications through My Portal. Click on Student Records and then National Student Clearinghouse.

    How do I transfer credits from another institution to Detroit Mercy?

    If you are applying for admission, you need to send your official transcripts to the Office of Admissions. If you are already a current student at Detroit Mercy, you should have your official transcripts sent to the Transfer Team in the Office of the Registrar at:

    University of Detroit Mercy
    Office of the Registrar-Transfer Team
    4001 W. McNichols Road
    Detroit, MI 48221

    Student copies of transcripts are not used as official transcripts for transfer of credit purposes. Once your official transcript has been received by the Office of the Registrar the transfer evaluation staff will evaluate the coursework you took at the other institution(s) for transferability to your Detroit Mercy degree program. You will receive an evaluation by mail and it will also appear on your My Portal account once completed.


    Is it possible to take a course on a Pass/Fail basis?

    The University permits students to enroll in a limited number of courses on a modified pass/fail basis. This opportunity is provided to encourage students to explore challenging elective courses they might not otherwise select. The final grade for a course taken pass-fail may be P or F. Grades A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, and D are considered a P (pass). Hours earned with a grade of P count toward graduation, but a P does not enter into the calculation of the student's quality point average. A final grade of F is treated in the same manner as in those courses which are not taken pass-fail.

    Election of the pass-fail option requires the approval of the student's academic advisor or dean. The option is limited to elective courses. Other requirements and restrictions regarding the use of the pass-fail option will be determined by the college or school in which the student's major resides. Pass-fail election forms are available from the dean of the student's college and must be filed with the registrar. The deadline for election of pass-fail is published in the academic calendar and typically is by the second week of classes. The date is published in the Academic Calendar. No pass-fail elections may be accepted after the deadline nor may the election of the pass-fail option be withdrawn after submission to the registrar.


    How can I prevent my personal information from being released to a third party without my permission?

    Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), the University may disclose the following categories of public or "directory" information for any purpose, at its discretion: student name, addresses, telephone numbers, dates of attendance, class, date and place of birth, major field of study, previous institutions attended, awards, honors (includes Dean's List), degrees conferred (including dates), photograph, past and present participation in officially recognized activities and sports, physical factors (e.g. weight and height of athletes).

    Currently enrolled students may withhold disclosure of any such information under the Family Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended. To withhold disclosure, written notification must be received by the University Registrar prior to the first Friday following final registration for each semester or period of study. Requests for non-disclosure will be honored by the institution until such time that the student requests that the non-disclosure be lifted.

    There are advantages and disadvantages to this privacy hold on your educational records and the Office of the Registrar will be happy to discuss that with you in order to make your decision.


    What is the graduation process?

    At the beginning of the semester you are ready to graduate, you submit an application for graduation online through your My Portal account. Students graduating in the Summer semester should apply at the beginning of the Winter semester in order to participate in the annual May Commencement ceremony.

    Applications received after the deadline or failure to file an application may result in denial to participate in the commencement ceremony or delay in the date of graduation. There is an application fee for both degrees and certificates. The fee can be found on the Tuition and Fee page in the current undergraduate or graduate catalog at


    When do I get my diploma?

    Your diploma is available after your degree has been certified by your college or school and has been printed. This may take up to 4-6 weeks after the semester is over, depending on when you are certified and when the order for your diploma is placed. Some students will receive their diploma on the day of Commencement. Diplomas and transcripts are withheld for students who owe a financial balance to the University. Diplomas are released to graduating students from their college/school and not the Office of the Registrar. If you require verification of your degree or a transcript prior to receiving your actual diploma, contact the Registrar's Office.

    I have attended the University of Detroit Mercy, University of Detroit or Mercy College of Detroit in the past and I would like to return. What do I have to do?

    To apply for readmission please do so online at

    Once your application for readmission is submitted, please contact the applicable college/school Dean's Office for assistance on application status. If you do not know what college office that is please contact Office of the Registrar at (313) 993-3313.  

    Students who have graduated who want to return to seek a new level degree or certificate should apply for admissions at

    If you have questions on which application you need to file, please contact the Office of Admissions 313-993-1245 or the Office of the Registrar 313-993-3313 for assistance. The School of Law and the School of Dentistry have their own policies on admission and readmission so contact them directly.