Guide to Residence Living

On-campus living at the University of Detroit Mercy provides an integral part of a student’s educational experience, offering opportunities and services beneficial to your overall development. We expect you, the resident, to be a responsible and involved citizen in the residential community and thus an active participant in making and carrying out decisions affecting you and your neighbors.

The Guide to Residence Life is designed to provide you with information about services, policies, procedures and opportunities that will enable you to fully participate in on-campus living. If you have any questions, please talk to a Residence Life staff member or call the Office of Residence Life (ORL) at 313-993-1230.

Policy and Manual Disclaimer

Residence Life reserves the right to change the “Guide to Residence Living” or any of the policies the guide contains at any time. The ORL will notify students of the change through each resident’s Detroit Mercy email account. Residence Life does not guarantee that any past policy will be recognized under a new policy.

Office of Residence Life

111 Shiple Hall
4001 W. McNichols Road
Detroit, MI 48221-3038

Open All | Close All


    What to bring to campus

    For Sleep

    • Pillows
    • Pillow protectors
    • XL twin comforter
    • XL twin sheet sets
    • XL twin foam topper
    • Mattress protector
    • Extra blankets
    • Alarm clock

    Laundry Supplies

    • Laundry basket
    • Laundry soap/softener
    • Iron/ironing board
    • Hangers
    • Quarters ($1 to wash and $1 to dry)

    Shower Supplies

    • Shower caddy
    • Towels and washcloths
    • Flip Flops
    • Shampoo/conditioner
    • Soap
    • Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, floss, etc.)
    • Blow dryer

    Cleaning Supplies

    • Paper towels
    • Broom/Dustpan
    • Vacuum
    • Dishpan and soap
    • Disinfecting wipes
    • Air fresheners (No candles!)

    When you arrive, you’ll find your room equipped with

    • Desk chair
    • Bed and mattress
    • Closet and/or chest of drawers
    • Desk with a Hutch and Drawer
    • Internet access – (all halls are wireless but for faster connection you can bring a Ethernet Cord to connect directly)
    • Cable access – (must bring coaxial cord)

    School/Room Supplies

    • Laptop/Computer
    • Printer, Ink, Paper
    • USB Drive
    • Computer Lock
    • Desk Supplies (Pens, pencils ect.)
    • Planner/Calendar
    • Calculator
    • Water Bottle
    • Dishes, Glasses & Silverware
    • Can Opener
    • Throw Rugs or other carpeting
    • Shelves or crates for storage

    Allowable electrical appliances

    • Small lamps
    • Stereos
    • Fan
    • Television and DVD player
    • Ethernet Cord- Faster Internet Access
    • Small refrigerator (five cubic feet or less)
    • Small microwave 700 watts or less
    • Power strip with surge protector
    • Coffee pot with automatic shut off
    • Iron with automatic shut off and ironing board
    • Computer (These are also available on campus for student use)
    • Two extension cords per room (UL approved) no longer than six feet

    Approximate room dimensions

    Exact rooms sizes are not available.
    Shiple: 12 feet by 15 feet
    Holden: 12 feet by 16 feet
    Quads: 13 feet by 16 feet


    The Roommate Bill of Rights

    • The right to use the room without undue interference.
    • The right to sleep without undue disturbance from noise, guests, etc.
    • The right to be free from fear and intimidation from physical or emotional harm.
    • The right to be free from pressure or ridicule regarding your personal choices that do not negatively impact your roommate or the residential community.
    • The right to exercise reasonable security precautions, such as keeping the room door locked (which the University recommends at all times).
    • The right to have your personal belongings treated with respect.
    • The right to a clean environment in which to live.
    • The right to access your room.
    • The right to privacy.
    • The right to have guests who respect the rights of your roommate and other residents.
    • The right to seek help from the residence hall staff in the mediation of disagreements between roommates/suitemates.
    • The right to expect reasonable cooperation in the use of shared appliances (e.g. telephone, refrigerator & microwave). 

    Residence Life Central Office (McNichols Campus)

    The Residence Life Office is located on the McNichols Campus at the University of Detroit Mercy in 115 Shiple Hall. The central office assigns rooms to students, maintains student housing records, and houses the Director of Residence Life, Assistant Director for Residence Life, and the Assistant Director for Housing Operations.

    The Quads office is located in Quad Commons at the center of the Quadraplex. Gentian Boulevard. The Holden Hall Office is located on the first floor of Holden Hall.

    Resident Directors (RD)

    RDs are full-time, professional staff members who supervise the RA staff and live on campus.

    Resident Advisors (RAs)

    RAs are assigned to residential buildings and/or halls. The RAs are student leaders who are trained to answer questions, provide support, monitor the building, answer questions, solve problems, responding to emergencies, and help each student living in the Residence Hall enjoy their on campus experience.

    The RAs rotate night and weekend duty. While on duty, RA’s are responsible for maintaining a safe learning environment for students. RA’s are tasked to resolve problems, document incidents, and help maintain the building.

    RA selection begins during the Fall semester and continues through summer training. Students interested in becoming an RA should contact their floor Resident Advisor.

    Night Monitor

    Night monitors are work-study students who staff the information desk on the first floor of Shiple Hall.

    Residence Life Council

    An integral part of the ORL student leadership development is the Residence Life Council (RLC). We encourage your to involvement in your community through participating in RLC. Contact your RD or RA for more information.


    Important Phone Numbers

    Important Phone Numbers
    Office Campus exchange Off campus exchange
    Dining Services 1616


    Financial Aid 3350


    Health Center 1185


    Help Desk (Computer/IT) 1500


    International Student Office 1205


    Public Safety



    Registrar’s Office 3313


    Residence Life 1230


    Residential Connection 2466


    Residence Life: Repair Hotline 1747


    Student Accounting 1420


    Dean of Students Office 1028


    Student Life 1150


    Titan Information 0541


    University Ministries 1560


On Campus residential policies & procedures

Open All | Close All


    Abandoned property

    Personal belongings that are left in a residence hall after the owner has vacated will be declared abandoned. Abandoned items may be packed by residence life staff members, and will be stored for a period of 15 days after check-out. Residence Life staff will make a reasonable attempt to contact the student. After 15 days, the items will be considered abandoned and donated to charity or discarded. Residents will be billed a minimum labor charge of $50 involved in the removal and/or storage of abandoned personal property. The Office of Residence Life is not liable for damage to or loss of property that might occur during the course of removal or disposal.


    Advertising (fliers, posters, banners and chalking)

    All advertisements must follow approval guidelines outlines in the Student Handbook and be approved by the Office of Student Life or the Office of Residence Life. Improper, outdated or damaged postings will be removed and discarded and could result in the loss of future posting privileges. Solicitation such as advertisements, fliers, newspapers, etc. are not to be placed under room doors for fire safety. Postings are not permitted in stairwells or on entry doors. Chalking is prohibited on buildings and walls. Duct tape or scotch tape is not permitted to post items. Once the items have been approved, the Residence Life staff will distribute and post all fliers.


    Administrative reassignment

    The University reserves the right to reassign or consolidate individuals or group of individuals at any time. If an administrative reassignment occurs, the University will not be responsible for any additional room charges that may be affiliated with the new assignment. The Director of Residence Life or designee will determine when an administrative move is deemed necessary.



    As a residential community, the University calls on its members to seek knowledge, build healthy relationships and take responsibility for their individual well-being. Further information is stated in the Student Handbook under Student Policies: General Policies & Procedures.

    • The legal drinking age for alcoholic beverages in Michigan is 21. Purchase, possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages by those without proof of legal drinking age is a violation of state law and University policy.
    • Giving, selling, furnishing or otherwise providing alcoholic beverages to a minor or to a visibly intoxicated person is illegal and contrary to University policy.
    • Residence hall students who are of legal drinking age may only consume alcohol in their room. The door must be closed. Non-residential individuals and/or underage persons cannot be present.
    • No alcohol is permitted in lounges (in open or covered containers), hallways or other residence hall living public areas by anyone, of any age.
    • No kegs are permitted in the residential community.
    • No alcohol is permitted in the First Year Experience building.
    • No empty alcohol containers are permitted in rooms which students who are under 21 either live or are visiting.
    • Irresponsible use of alcohol resulting in public intoxication, disorderly conduct, vandalism or similar conduct may result in disciplinary action.
    • Should you be found in room/suite in which the alcohol policy is being violated, you may be subject to disciplinary action, regardless of age. (See student handbook).


    Students may use only restrooms designated for their gender and their floor. Those students in suites may only use their adjoining bathroom if the same gender.


    Candles, incense, etc.

    Due to risk of fire, candles, incense and any other items that have the capacity for a continually lit flame, neither lit, unlit or wick removed are permitted.


    Cable, data ports & telecommunication

    Each residence hall room/living unit is cable-ready and provided with basic cable service by an independent contractor.


    Each resident has access to a Room Condition Report (RCR), which summarizes the condition of the room prior to check-in. Each resident must review the RCR at the time of check-in and amend and submit the RCR within 72 hours. If the RCR is not returned, student is responsible for any and all damages found at check-out.



    At the end of the each semester, you must check out of your room no later than 24 hours after your last final or on the last day of finals whichever comes first. A late check-out fee of $50 will be charged if a student checks out after the building has closed. If you are returning to campus after fall semester you are permitted to leave your belongings over winter break however Detroit Mercy is not responsible for personal property left in the room or building.

    • If transferring, graduating, etc. you must remove all personal property and trash from the room or you will be assessed a housekeeping or property removal fee. Abandoned property will be disposed at the end of each semester and the University will not be held liable for losses.

    Common area abandoned property

    • Residence Life is not responsible for any property left in any common space including hallways, lounges, kitchens or any other space not directly assigned to a student.
    • Shoes left in hallways are considered a fire hazard. Shoes or personal items left outside of a room may be confiscated and discarded as abandoned property. If abandoned property left outside of a student’s room, that room may incur a minimum $50 charge per occurrence.

    Communication with residents

    Students will receive important information from the Office of Residence Life via their Detroit Mercy email account and their SUMS box located in Quad Commons. Students should check their SUMS Box and email account regularly as information will not necessarily be communicated through other channels.


    Confiscation of items

    Items that are illegal, prohibited, determined to be detrimental to the residential community, or involved in a policy violation may be confiscated and disposed of by ORL or held by Public Safety. Students in possession of such items will be subject to disciplinary action and/or arrest. The University will not be responsible for the safekeeping or return of confiscated items.


    Damage charges, common area billing

    Students may be billed for damage to property, whether by vandalism, horseplay or accident. All floor/suite/building residents can collectively be held responsible for damages to public or common areas that are not attributed to specific individuals.
    • If damages, thefts of community property, excessive litter, or excessive disorder occurs in your hallway, an “intent to bill” will be posted for your floor or building.
    • The “intent to bill” or other similar notifications will notify floor residents of the charge for damages and they will have three working days to ascertain the responsible individuals and communicate the responsible party’s identity to the ORL staff in writing.
    • If after five working days no one has claimed responsibility or been identified, the entire floor/building may be charged.
    • Each individual’s percentage of the total of all accumulated damage charges for the floor will be placed on their student account at the end of each semester. The University reserves the right to determine the minimum charge per student and to place any charges on a student’s account immediately if necessary.
    • Common Area Damages will not be waived.


    You are encouraged to make your room more personal and homelike. However, we ask that you do not damage or permanently alter the room unit. Any permanent damage will result in damage assessments. The guidelines for decorating are as follows:
    • Do not use double-sided tape, putty, duct tape, other substances that will leave a “gummy” residue on your door, walls or furniture. This includes drawer and shelf liners.
    • For plaster and drywall services, use thumbtacks and small nails (no more than 10 per wall). For cinderblock walls, use painters blue masking tape or command strips.
    • Mirrors, extra shelves, hooks and other such items need to be removed at the end of the year. They are not considered room improvements and the residents will be charged at checkout.
    • Do not line drawers or shelves with adhesive-backed paper.
    • Window decorations/displays must be removable and without obscene language, etc. or an ORL staff member will request it be removed.
    • Decorative lights must be URL approved.
    • Items are not permitted to be hung from the ceiling, conduit, wiring, lights or window blinds.
    • Draping or hanging long lengths of paper and other materials are prohibited for fire safety.
    • Items are not permitted to be on or attached to the ceiling.


    The unlawful possession, use of, and/or distribution of illicit or prescription drugs or drug-related paraphernalia, such as, but not limited to pipes, bongs, hookahs, or other items used for illegal or illicit purposes, is prohibited on University premises. Medical Marijuana use or possession is not permitted at the University of Detroit Mercy. Drug Paraphernalia cannot be considered a “decoration” and will be confiscated with or without residue.

    Anyone found in violation of this policy, or in a room where this policy is being violate- ed, is subject to disciplinary action up to and including: removal from housing, sus- pension, and/or expulsion from the University, and referral to other appropriate authorities.

    The Office of Public Safety may be called to investigate and determine if local, state or federal laws are being violated or to contact local, state or federal authorities.

    For additional information on the University Drug Policy see the Student Handbook.



    To keep elevators in running order, do not overload, force doors open, stop the elevator, use alarm buttons (except in emergencies), prop the doors open or otherwise misuse the equipment. For every elevator button damaged or destroyed, a damage fee of $75 per button will be assessed according to the Common Area Billing Policy.

    Elevator abuse poses a serious threat to the safety of all and may result in disciplinary action and/or charges to involved student’s account. If the elevator stops between floors, stay calm, remain in the elevator and use the alarm button and/or call box. A staff member will come to your aid.

    If the elevator is not functioning properly, inform an Office of Residence Life staff person or contact Public Safety. Please DO NOT force the doors open, as this may cause a potentially dangerous situation.

    Students should report items dropped down the elevator shaft to the Office of Residence Life or Public Safety. The student may be responsible for the service company fee to retrieve the item.


    Emergency procedures and safety

    At the University of Detroit Mercy, your safety and security are a top priority. With the cooperation of each and every student, our halls will be safe environments for all to enjoy. Emergency evacuation procedure training takes place each semester. Each student is expected to familiarize him/herself with the appropriate evacuation routes of the facility. If you have questions about the Emergency Procedures, please contact the ORL staff in your building or Public Safety at 313-993-1234.

    Evacuation Areas

    • Holden Hall: Tennis Court Pavilion
    • Shiple Hall: Tennis Court Pavilion
    • North, South, East, West Quads and Quad Commons: Tennis Court Pavilion
    • After any evacuation, report to your designated area assembly point. Stay there until an accurate head count has been taken. ORL staff will take attendance to account for all building occupants. DO NOT return to an evacuated building unless instructed to do so by Public Safety or ORL staff.


    If you hear tornado sirens or if informed of a tornado warning:

    • Residents should seek shelter immediately
    • Take keys, purses, wallets, etc.
    • Close windows, doors and lock rooms
    • Using the stairs, move quickly to the shelter locations: interior hallways of basements, or lowest floors away from windows, shelves or heavy equip- ment. If possible, seek shelter under a desk or table.
    • A University staff member will inform residents of an emergency and will instruct them when to go to the shelter area(s).
    Severe storm warnings

    If you hear a sever weather alert or watch:

    • Students should remove all objects from windows
    • All windows should be closed and locked in rooms and common areas

    Fire alarms

    All of the residence halls are equipped with fire alarms. (Report beeping or missing alarms to the Repair Hotline 3-1474 or Student Maintenance Request form immediately.)

    Removal or tampering with any fire safety device will result in a $100 charge and/or the replacement cost of the unit.

    Damage to any emergency signage, lights, pull stations, or other emergency devices will result in a damage charge according to Common Area Billing and disciplinary action and/or arrest.

    Removal of Emergency Procedure signage will result in a $100 Common Area Billing charge.

    If You Discover a Fire
    • Call Public Safety at 313-993-1234
    • Pull a fire alarm.*
    • Help others who may need assistance.
    • Evacuate the area via stairs. DO NOT USE THE ELEVATORS.
    • Go to Evacuation Areas.
    If The Fire Alarm Sounds in Your Building
    • Check your room door for heat. If HOT – do not open it.
    • If door is COOL, open it slowly and check hallway for smoke.
    • If the hallway is passable, immediately and swiftly leave your room. Take your keys, purse, wallets, etc.
    • Help others who may need assistance.
    • Evacuate the area via stairs. DO NOT USE THE ELEVATORS.
    • Go to Evacuation Areas as directed.
    • Do not return to the building for any reason.

    Failure to evacuate a building after an alarm or attempts to reenter a building before permission is granted will result in disciplinary action and could also include a ticket from Public Safety.

    *Unlawfully pulling a fire alarm will result in disciplinary action and/or arrest.


    Fire drills

    Fire Drills will occur intermittently each semester in each residence hall. Residents must evacuate to designated evacuation areas and follow procedures. Failure to evacuate will result in administrative disciplinary action.


    No person is allowed to possess, store, display or ignite fireworks or explosive devices of any kind whatsoever on campus, including in the residence halls. Violations of this policy could result in immediate removal from residential housing and further University disciplinary action.


    All University furnishings must remain in students’ rooms at all times. A student may be assessed the replacement cost of room furniture that is not present in the room or is present but damaged at any time of the year. Beds are not permitted to be flipped and other furniture is not permitted to be modified. Flipped beds may result in replacement fee if damaged or a minimum $50 fine.

    Personal furniture is permitted, with the exception of waterbeds and personal mattresses which are not permitted, as long as it adequately fits in the room. Please refer to the section on Lofts regarding guidelines and restriction.

    Any student who removes, misuses or alters lounge or study-room furnishings will face a disciplinary action and/or a minimum fine of $100.

    Any student found with University furniture or property in their room that does not belong in that room is subject to a $100 fine, student conduct charges and/or criminal prosecution as this could be considered theft.



    To keep hallways intact and maintain safety, playing sports (soccer, Frisbee, golf, hockey, rollerblading, skateboarding, etc.) or with sports equipment in the hallways or public areas is prohibited. Residence Life sponsored indoor games can be allowed on the ground floors of Quad Commons, Holden Hall and/or Shiple Hall.

    Residence Life reserves the right to confiscate property used in prohibited activities in the residence hall, which can include items required by athletic teams.

    Damage to University property due to hall sports or games will be considered intentional. Violations can result in confiscation of equipment as well as disciplinary sanctions and assessments.


    Guest policies/visitation

    Guest Policies
    • The right of a student to live in reasonable privacy takes precedence over the right of a roommate to host a guest. (See Resident Bill of Rights).
    • A guest is defined as anyone who does not live in the assigned room.
    • A resident must receive permission of their roommate and/or suitemates to host an overnight guest of the same gender. Opposite sex guests are not permitted to stay overnight in the halls.
    • The presence of guests must not restrict free access of residential students to any common or private space, nor may they create a situation that infringes on the right of a roommate and/or suite-mate to remain undisturbed. When determining when guests should be invited to the room or community space, common sense and mutual respect should prevail. (See Resident Bill of Rights).
    • A resident may not give a guest their room/building key, University ID or Proxy Card.
    • Use of bathroom facilities is limited to the residents of that floor/suite. Guests are to use the common area bathrooms.
    • Host Responsibility: The resident host is responsible for the behavior of his or her guest(s) at all times (see Host Responsibility). It is the responsibility of the host to inform the guest of the residence hall policies and his or her expected compliance. Guests who violate ORL or University policies may have visitation restricted or denied, and their host may be subject to disciplinary action.
    • Given the values of the University of Detroit Mercy, cohabitation is not permitted in University residence halls. Cohabitation is defined as any visitation that disrupts the living unit or violates University social standards. Excessive and/or extended visitation is not allowed. The policy applies to any guest.
    • Overnight guests, of the same sex only, are permitted to stay for a maximum of two consecutive nights in the residence halls provided the rights of the roommate and other community members are respected.
    • Residents are not permitted to have more than two (2) guests at any time and no more than two (2) guests after hours with-out the permission of the Office of Residence Life.
    • The occupancy of a single room may not exceed three (3) people.  The occupancy of a double room, if both residents are present, may bot exceed six (6) people.
    • Guests needing to stay longer than two nights must be approved by the ORL professional staff. Approval is based on an emergency or special extenuating circumstances.
    • Guests 16 years of age and under are not permitted to stay overnight without approval from the Office of Residence Life.
    • The ORL professional staff and Public Safety retain the right to prohibit any guest from entering a residential facility for any reason.
    • All guests must carry valid identification at all times. A state ID or passport must have a photo and list the person's name, age, address or guest must have a current Detroit Mercy ID card. No other identification cards are valid.
    • Guests may be required to leave if their host’s roommate is denied rights to use the room or if the guest fails to observe the policies and procedures detailed in this Guide and or the Student Handbook.
    • Hosts and guests who violate these codes and regulations will find their residence hall privileges restricted or revoked.
    • The Office of Residence Life reserves the right to adjust guest policies and procedures during break periods or at any other times as the Office deems necessary.
    • Guests of the opposite gender are not permitted to use the restroom on the opposite gender’s floor. Guests must be escorted in the restrooms and restroom codes are not permitted to be shared with guests. Guests are not permitted in a room without the resident present.

    Guests 16 Years of Age and Under

    • Underage guests are not permitted to stay overnight in the residence halls.
    • Overnight approval may be granted on emergency or special extenuating circumstances by the Director of Residence Life or designee.
    • Underage guests must be accompanied by the resident at all times and emergency contact information must be provided for parent /guardian.

    Visitation Guidelines

    • 9 a.m. to 12 a.m. (midnight)
    • Guests must be accompanied/escorted in the residence halls at all times, including in the host’s room.
    • Failure to comply with the escort policy or other University policies and procedures may result in disciplinary action, including, but not limited to, loss of visitation privileges and possible guest restriction.


    The University will not tolerate or condone harassment of any person(s) at any time which includes electronic means such as text messaging or social media. Refer to the Student Handbook for the full policy.


    Health and safety inspections

    The Office of Residence Life reserves the right to conduct a “room/suite inspection” for the reasons set forth in the residence hall contract and when it has been determined, in the discretion of appropriate University officials, that sufficient cause exists. Residence Life reserves the right to enter any room at any time.
    • ORL staff will inspect all residential rooms to ensure proper health and safety standards in the residence halls periodically. These will be done at every break period and potentially throughout the semester.
    • The ORL staff will look for prohibited items and health/safety concerns, such as: illegal pets, lounge furniture, illegal lofts, unauthorized appliances, room damages and/or excessively dirty areas, etc. Inspections may warrant disciplinary action.
    • Illegal or prohibited items found during inspections will be confiscated and held by ORL or Public Safety. The consequences of Health and Safety violations may include fines and/or disposal of prohibited items. Residence Life is not responsible for items confiscated during inspections and may not hold items after the confiscation.
    The Director of Residence Life, or their designee, will make this determination. After proper authority has been granted, the search will be conducted in the following manner:
    • Two staff members of ORL will conduct the search. In most cases, the persons conducting the search will knock on the residence hall/suite door and announce themselves before entering.
    • Students who are present will be informed of the purpose of the search. Students are not required to be present, unless requested by staff.
    • All areas and spaces of the room/suite, and all objects and containers within the space may be searched. Illegal or unauthorized items will be confiscated and residents will be provided a list of the items taken. Items violating local, state or federal laws may be turned over to Public Safety or other law enforcement agencies.
    • Public Safety or police officers with proper authority may initiate a search within normal legal guidelines. These procedures may supersede the above guidelines.

    Host responsibility

    All residents have a responsibility to keep all hallways, stairwells, and general building area clean and free of trash or other debris. Residents will be charged for excessive messes in public areas including the area surrounding their building. (See Damage Charges: Common Area Billing).

    Keeping the building reasonably clean is the function of the Housekeeping staff. They will provide basic cleaning and trash removal in common areas for each residential area. If there are concerns about housekeeping services being provided, please contact your Residence Director.


    Identification card

    Your student ID card is your meal card, library card, fitness center card and your University ID. For some students it also serves as their proxy card. Each student is issued a card and is expected to carry it at all times that they are on campus. If your ID card is replaced, you must contact the Titian Information Center so that your meal plan can be transferred to the new card and come to the Office of Residence Life so that your card access can be re-programmed. Additional information on the ID card is available in the Student Handbook or at the Titan Information Booth in the Student Center.

    Keys and proxy card

    For your safety, it is important to keep your key (if applicable) with you at all times. Residents are not permitted to give their student IDs to any other person. All lost, stolen or broken keys and proxy cards must be reported to ORL immediately. No University key or proxy card may be duplicated, modified or loaned to another person. You are responsible for the key and proxy card until you have officially checked out of your room following correct check out procedures

    Lost room keys require a lock and key change. You will be charged $100 per lock core for residence hall room keys and $5 for broken or bent keys. If the key is broken inside the lock, a fee will be assessed pending the repair by a locksmith.

    Students who lose their student ID will be required to get a new student ID and will be charged $25. New IDs can be obtained from the Card and ID office in the Student Union.



    Laundry rooms are located on the ground floor of each building and the machines are coin-operated washers and dryers. The cost is $1 for washing and drying. Contact ORL at 3-1230 or if the washing or drying machines are not working. In a message or email state the machine’s location and number.

    Vending and soda machines are located in the residence halls and Quad Commons. All refunds are provided by the Student Accounting Office located on the ground floor of the Fisher Administrative Building.


    Light bulbs

    If the lights are out in your room and/or bathroom, please enter a maintenance request using the Student Maintenance Request form.

    Lock outs

    If locked out of your room Monday-Friday between 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m., contact the Office of Residence Life. Before or after business hours, the weekend or holidays, contact Public Safety for the RA on duty. You must provide your name and campus address. You will be asked to meet the RA on the first floor of Shiple Hall or Quad Commons.

    For all lock outs it may take up to 20 minutes for assistance to arrive. When a staff member arrives you must provide personal information and an ID (the resident may provide their ID after the room is open). Requesting a room to be open that is not assigned to the requestor is prohibited and disciplinary action will be taken.



    Homemade lofts are not permitted in any residence hall. This year lofts will only be available in Shiple Hall.  We have a limited number of lofts, so they will be rented out on a first come basis.  The loft rental fee is $100 for the full academic year.  This fee is non-refundable and charged to the student account.  To reserve a loft, please fill out the loft rental form.

    The University of Detroit Mercy is not responsible or liable for any injury or damages sustained through a resident's decision to use a loft.



    Maintenance requests can be submitted online through the Student Maintenance Request form. Once the form is submitted, a work order will be submitted with your contact information and you will receive peri- odic updates regarding your request.

    Requests can also be made via the Repair Hotline at 313-993-1747. The office staff will need your name, phone number, campus address and detailed information regarding the maintenance concern to complete the work request. If there is no answer, leave a detailed message, with your name, campus address and phone number. All work orders submitted after 3:30 p.m. on weekdays will be received by Facility Operations the following work day. In case of emergency contact an RA or RD immediately through the Office of Residence Life or Public Safety.


    Meal plans

    The University Meal Plan is required for all residential students except those who reside in West Quad. The Dining Services staff will assist students who have any special dietary or health needs.

    Meal Plan Appeals Committee

    • Students seeking to be released from the meal plan for dietary or health reasons, conflicts in their academic schedule, etc. must petition the Meal Plan Appeals Committee by the second Friday of the semester. Additional supporting documentation must be submitted with the petition. Meal plan appeals should be submitted to the Office of Residence Life in writing.

    Meal Plan Changes

    • Meal Plan changes will be made at the Office of Residence Life during posted hours until 4 p.m. the second Friday after the start of each term during the first two weeks of classes.

    Sick Trays

    • If sick, you can get a Sick Tray Form (STF) from Dining Services. A friend can take the STF and your student ID Card to Dining Services office who will provide a to-go meal container for the Titian Dining Room.

    Noise/quiet hours

    Quiet Hours
    • Quiet hours have been established to insure a living and learning environment that is conducive to studying and sleeping. During quiet hours, no sound inside a resident’s room should be heard outside a resident's room.
    • Individual floors may extend regular quiet hours, but may not shorten them. The decision to extend the hours will be made by RA's and RD's after consulting residents of the floor.
    • Amplifiers, subwoofers, and/or other stereos over 100watts (or otherwise deemed a nuisance to the community) are not permitted. Volume/noise should not be heard from beyond the door.

    Courtesy Hours

    • Courtesy hours are 24 hours, seven days a week. Students have the right to have a reasonable environment to sleep and study at all times. Noise within a student’s closed door should not be heard beyond a closed door.
    Regular Quiet Hours:
    • Sunday through Thursday: 12 a.m.-9 a.m.
    • Friday and Saturday: 2 a.m.-10 a.m.
    Mid Terms:
    • Noon (12 p.m.) the Friday before scheduled midterms until Friday of the following week will be 24-hour quiet hours.

    Final Exams:
    • Noon (12 p.m.) the Friday before finals week until the residence halls close for the term will be 24-hour quiet hours.

    Procedure for Handling Excessive Noise in the Residence Halls
    1. Each resident is encouraged to first inform the noisy or disruptive residents they are disturbing others.
    2. If the individual(s) do not respond to your request, contact the ORL office during business hours or Public Safety before or after business hours and during weekend and holidays for assistance.
    • Persistent violation of noise policies may result in disciplinary action.
    • ORL staff may enter your room to investigate a noise complaint if you do not respond to requests for entry. If you are not in your room, the staff member will seek to resolve the noise problem and document the situation and take other action as appropriate.

    Painting and other artwork

    Rooms cannot be painted in the Residence Halls and students who have painted rooms will be charged.

    Pest control

    It is the resident’s responsibility to keep their living area clean. If a room becomes infested, occupants may be required to clean the room or have it cleaned at their cost prior to additional extermination services.

    The University has a contract with an extermination company that maintains all the residence halls. If you require additional services, contact the Office of Residence Life.



    Fish are the only pets permitted in the residence halls. Aquariums must be no larger than 10 gallons. If damage occurs from a fish tank, the resident can be held liable for the damages. Service dogs are the only exception to this policy per ADA.

    The University reserves the right to confiscate and remove pets. Unauthorized pets may result in disciplinary action that can include removal from the residence halls and will include a monetary fine per day until the pet is removed.


    Prohibited Items

    • Air Fryers
    • Broilers
    • Candles
    • Coffee Pots without a timer and auto shutoff
    • Crock Pots
    • Deep fryer
    • Electric blankets
    • Electric frying pans
    • Electric space heaters
    • Extension cords longer than six feet (no more than two per room)
    • Gas Grills
    • George Foreman grills
    • Griddles
    • Halogen Lights/Lamps and Heating Laps
    • Heating coils
    • Hot Water Makers/Tea Kettles without an auto shutoff
    • Heat fans, ceramic heaters, etc. Hot plates
    • Open faced Grills (i.e. waffle irons, quesadilla makers, etc.)
    • Mattresses (other than the one the University provides)
    • Incense/Potpourri burner
    • Personal air conditioners
    • Pets, other than fish (10 gallon aquarium or less)
    • Rice Cookers
    • Refrigerators larger than 5 cubic feet
    • Traffic/Street Signs & other City/State Public Works Property
    • Sandwich makers
    • Sun lamps
    • Toasters and/or Toaster ovens
    • Weapons
    • Waterbeds
    • Real (cut) Christmas Trees
    • All cooking items that use an open flame or heating element are prohibited.
    • Additional items may be deemed a danger to the residential community as determined by the Director of Residence Life and will be updated and changes will be posted on the Residence Life website.

    The Quad Commons Desk (313)993-1685

    The Quad Commons Desk is the central reception desk for the residential community located in Quad Commons. The Quad Commons provides students with:
    • Brooms and other cleaning equipment/supplies
    • Quad Theater Reservations
    • Sports and games equipment

    Room Change Process

    Residents are permitted to change rooms during the academic year. After approval by the Director or designee, you may move to your new assignment. All room changes must occur 48 hours after notification. Simply switching keys or occupying a space that is not assigned to you is not permitted. If this occurs student(s) will be assessed a $100 “improper room change” fine and will face disciplinary action for improper room change.

    In the event of a dispute between roommates the person requesting the change will be the person asked to move, unless ORL determines otherwise.

    Residence Life may choose to take steps to attempt to mediate the roommate situation before authorizing a room change.


    Room condition report & inventory

    Before your arrival, your room/suite was inspected and the condition was noted on the Room Condition Report (RCR) form.

    You will be given access to the RCR at check-in and you will have the opportunity to make additions or corrections to this form. The form must be submitted in the system within 72 hours. If the RCR is not returned your are responsible for all damages after check-out.

    After your departure, ORL staff members will compare the condition of your room and its contents with the notes listed from check-in. Any discrepancies or damages are the responsibility of you and your roommate. Damage not claimed by one person will be split between assigned residents.

    If you fail to fill out the RCR form, at the end of the year a new RCR will be completed to assess the room with the assumption all University property was in excellent condition at check in and all damages are your responsibility.

    Students will have an opportunity to appeal in writing any room damages found by the ORL staff after damages have been assessed. Community billing and damages may not be appealed.


    Room entry

    ORL and Facility Operations staff reserve the right to enter a student’s room/suite to ensure health, safety, and maintenance in the residence halls at any time. This includes periodic inspections for health, safety and cleanliness.

    Rooms are expected to be orderly and free of debris to reduce pest control issues and in case of an emergency.

    Room searches will be conducted in accordance to the terms and conditions of the residence hall contract and two (2) ORL staff members will be present.

    ORL staff will not provide entry of a non-resident, including family members, into a student’s room.


    Room selection process

    Room Selection for returning students occurs Winter Term of the preceding year. Information regarding the room selection process will be posted on the Residence Life website and signs will be posted in the halls.

    Students on Co-op/Study Aboard:
    • Residential Students, who are on co-op or study abroad the semester of Room Selection must complete the housing application prior to leaving and designate a friend to be their Proxy to sign up for housing during the selection process. While ORL will try to accommodate students wishing to return to their fall term assignment it is not guaranteed that the space will be available. Additional information will be posted regarding this special process.

    Room consolidation policy

    Room consolidation is a procedure through which the Office of Residence Life provides the maximum amount of space to students in the residence halls. The process affects students who live alone in a double occupancy room, which occurs when a roommate does not arrive or a roommate moves out of the room.

    Due to limited space within our residential buildings, the Office of Residence Life has instituted an ongoing consolidation policy that is implemented after housing assignments and selection for each year begins. The purpose of the policy is to ensure spaces for incoming students and rectify the inequitable condition which exists when many students end up living alone (without roommates) in rooms traditionally designated as double rooms/suites. Students living in a room/suite with a vacancy will receive correspondence from the Office of Residence Life describing the consolidation options.

    Residents in standard double rooms (Shiple & Holden) have the following options when they occupy a double room without a roommate:

    • Self-identify another person who is also in the consolidation process to be a new roommate.
    • Be consolidated with another person who also in the consolidation process through the Office of Residence Life. The resident with less credit hours will move in with the resident with more credit hours. If both residents have equal number of credit hours, the resident with the later housing application date will be required to move.
    • If space allows, the resident may buy-out the room for the remainder of the semester and the following semester. The charge will be prorated for number of days remaining in semester based on move date. Students are responsible for the full cost of the single room for the following semesters. Furniture will remain in room and will not be removed with the buy-out option.

    Residents in a suite-style standard double have the following options when they occupy a double room without a roommate:

    • Self-identify another person who is also in the consolidation process to be a new roommate.
    • Be consolidated with another person who also in the consolidation process through the Office of Residence Life. The resident with less credit hours will move in with the resident with more credit hours. If both residents have equal number of credit hours, the resident with the later housing application date will be required to move.
    • If space allows, the resident may buy-out the room for the remainder of the semester and the following semester. The charge will be prorated for number of days remaining in semester based on move date. Students are responsible for the full cost of the single room for the following semesters. Furniture will remain in room and will not be removed with the buy-out option.

    All residents affected by this policy will receive communication from the Office of Residence Life and must respond by the due dates listed to receive their choice of action.

    Any rooms that may become completely open after this process may be purchased as single rooms. No furniture will be removed and the room will remain a single for the entire academic year.

    Consolidation letters will begin processing during the third/fourth week of Semester. Letters will be sent via each students Detroit Mercy email address.


    Smoke detectors

    Misuse of, tampering with or deactivating a smoke detector or other piece of fire safety equipment is considered a violation of the fire code and may be sanctioned through the disciplinary system.

    The halls either have hardwired smoke detectors in each room or battery operated smoke detectors. The battery operated smoke detectors are routinely tested and batteries are replaced by Facility Operations.


    Smoking policy

    As stated in the Student Handbook, the University has a No Smoking policy in effect for all University buildings including the residence halls.

    In the interest of providing a safe and healthy environment for all employees, students and visitors, and in accordance with the Michigan Clean Indoor Air Act and the City of Detroit Smoking Pollution Control Ordinance, the following policy has been adopted by the President’s Council:

    • Smoking is prohibited in all University buildings and offices. Smoking is also prohibited in all University vehicles. Pursuant to the efforts of the Facilities Planning, Standards, and Safety Team of Shared Governance, and in recognition of our responsibility to provide and maintain an optimally healthy and safe working environment for all students, faculty, staff and visitors, smoking at the University of Detroit Mercy limited to areas designated as "smoking zones." A map of the designated smoking zones can be found at Public Safety or Facility Operations.
    • The use of E-Pens, E-Cigs, Vaporizers, and all other devices used to electronically inhale vapor, smoke, etc; is prohibited in all residential buildings.


    Solicitation, door to door calling, and or sliding flyers under residence hall doors is prohibited. This includes events such as Tupperware-Parties (and those companies like it), taking up a collection for an outside organization or cause, candy bar sales, credit card companies, and distribution of flyers and newspapers under doors. Use of lobbies and other common areas by University organizations requires prior approval from Director of Residence Life or designee.


    The ORL staff, including (but not limited to) Director of Residence Life, Associate Directors, Residence Director (RD), Resident Advisor (RA), Graduate Assistant (GA), Office Assistants, Night Monitors, Residential Connection Staff, Residential Maintenance Staff, Public Safety and others deserve the utmost respect.

    Belligerent, uncooperative, or rude behavior towards these individuals will not be tolerated. Failure to comply will a staff member's request or behaving in an inappropriate manner towards a staff member will result in disciplinary action.



    Taking, attempting to take, or possessing the property of another person without proper authorization is theft and considered a serious violation of the student code of conduct. Reports of theft will result in code of conduct proceedings that may result in removal from housing. Students are encouraged to keep a detailed list and description of belongings, including serial numbers, of all valuable items brought to campus.

    If you feel you are a victim of theft, contact Public Safety at 313-993-1234 and the ORL staff on duty.

    *Residence Life is not responsible for any lost, damaged, or stolen property. Please refer to our “Renters Insurance” section for more information.


    Unauthorized entry

    Students and guests are not permitted to enter or be present in a room/suite of another person or in an area that they do not have access without proper authorization. Additionally, students and guests are not permitted access in normally closed or restricted areas unless prior authorization through the Office of Residence Life is received.


    As stated in the University Student Handbook, destruction or damage of University property or to an individual’s or group's property is unacceptable and may result in code of disciplinary sanctions and/or charge for repair or replacement. This in- includes throwing or dropping objects from any window of any building.

    Containers filled with urine, tobacco dip, or other bodily fluids are considered a biohazard and disciplinary action or common area charge of $100 per bottle may be assessed.

    Vandalism impacts all residents directly and indirectly.


    • Common Area Billing: When damages or loss of equipment, furnishings, or facilities and/or University property occur and the identity of the person responsible for the damage or loss cannot be determined, residential students are assessed an equal portion of the cost of the damage.
    • Residents will also be charged for special services that become required due to the misuse or abuse of their assigned space and the University property contained therein.


    Funds that are used to pay for vandalism repairs cannot be spent on future renovations and purchases for residential students, which results in fewer renovations and new purchases in the halls.


    Visitation guidelines

    • 9 a.m. to 12 a.m. (midnight)
    • Guests must be accompanied/escorted in the residence halls at all times.
    • All guests are to use the common area bathrooms.
    • Failure to comply with the escort policy or other University policies and procedures may result in disciplinary action, including but not limited to, loss of visitation privileges and possible guest restitution.

    Weapons & firearms

    Possession of weapons of any type, including (but not limited to) firearms, paintball guns, ammunition, air guns, gun replicas, explosive devices, slingshots, knives, martial arts training materials, etc. is prohibited, as stated in the Student Handbook.

    Any object that could potentially inflict injury or cause harm when used in a threatening, careless or aggressive manner is considered a weapon. Possession or use of a weapon will result in immediate confiscation of the item and may result in immediate housing termination and/or other severe disciplinary action. For additional information review the Student Handbook.



    Residents are permitted to use their windows to personalize their room. However, the following are not permitted:
    • Removal of window screens
    • Throwing or tossing items from windows
    • Entering, exiting or sitting in a window or window ledge
    • Leaning one’s body out of the window
    • Hanging items outside of the windows
    • Placing items on the outside window ledge
    • Permanently or temporarily affixing items such as fans to windows
    • Tampering with or damaging screen
    • Adhering permanent items to the window, i.e. stickers, etc.
    • Decorations that can be deemed of poor taste or offensive
    • Alcohol or drug related paraphernalia, i.e. liquor, wine, beer bottles, cans or signage (neon, lighted or canvas type banners or signs)

Information Technology Services

Open All | Close All



    At the University of Detroit Mercy, resident students are welcome to bring a computer for connectivity to the network. Unlike a home environment, the University network is a more complicated shared resource where personal responsibility is necessary for all to benefit from network access. This handbook provides information on proper usage.


    Free virus protection for resident students

    ITS provides a complimentary one-year McAfee Antivirus license for all resident students. These CDs are distributed at First Year move-in. If you did not receive your CD at move-in, please visit the Helpdesk in Fisher 230. Both a valid student ID and residence hall proxy card must be displayed to receive a CD.

    Additional ITS information and useful tools are available on the CD.


    Recommendations prior to connecting to the network

    A computer connected to the network is vulnerable to the common threats that exist across the entire Internet. Taking these precautionary steps will help reduce potential problems:
    • Installation of antivirus software configured for auto-update of virus definition files on a daily basis and auto-scanning and auto-cleaning of all hard drive partitions. Installation of all operating system and security patches for your operating system and all installed applications. For Microsoft users, please check and For Apple users, please check
    • Configuration of your operating system for auto-update on a daily basis
    • Installation of a personal firewall.
    • Installation of detection and daily cleaning software for adware, spyware and other unknown background processes.
    • Removal of all illegal file sharing services.
    • Removal of all illegally obtained software.
    • Installation of a backup process for all important files necessary in the event your hard drive malfunctions.

    Minimally supported operating systems

    Helpdesk support is limited to systems using Windows XP with Service Pack 2 , Windows 7, or Windows 8 and Mac OSX v10.4 (Tiger) or greater.


    On-campus labs

    For those who prefer to use a public workstation, on the McNichols campus there are labs in the C&F, Health Professions, Library, Engineering and Student Union buildings. Resident students will find the Student Union lab provides very generous hours for early morning and late-night computing. Visit any lab for a current schedule or see


    Educational Discounts on Computers

    ITS has arranged special pricing for students with a number of vendors. Please see for more information. A valid student ID or class schedule may be required at the time of purchase.

    Ports in resident rooms

    In each resident room there is an outlet box containing two data ports (one per student), two phone ports (one live port and one for backup purposes) and one cable TV port. In the Quads, there may also be an extra data port under the desk. Please be careful not to damage the outlet box. The cost of repairs will be added to your student account.

    Connecting via wired cable

    To connect your computer, plug one end of your CAT5 patch cable into your computer-er and the other end into the port labeled D1 or D2 (D is for data).

    Configure your computer operating system to obtain an IP address automatically using DHCP.

    DHCP Setup for Windows

    • From the Start menu, select Settings, choose Control Panel
    • Double-click on Network Connections
    • Double-click Local Area Connection
    • Click on the General tab, and then click on the Properties tab
    • Click on the General tab, then select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click Properties
    • Select Obtain an IP address automatically
    • Select DNS server automatically
    • Click the OK button

    DHCP Setup for MacOSX

    • From the Apple Menu, choose System Preferences
    • Click on Network
    • Set the Configure Selection to using DHCP
    • Click Apply Now
    • Close Network

    Connecting via wireless network

    The majority of locations on the McNichols campus are WiFi accessible. See for the official coverage map. In the residence halls, all resident rooms in Shiple and the Quads are WiFi accessible.

    Students are not permitted to bring their own network/WiFi broadcasting device. This includes routers and wireless printers.
    If your computer has WiFi capability, configure your settings as follows:

    • No proxy server
    • Obtain IP address from server (DHCP)
    • Retrieve username and password from your RA

    If you have a setting for Infrastructure vs. Ad Hoc, set your card to Infrastructure. Official Detroit Mercy networks are named either “udmw” or “dorms”.


    Cable TV

    Residence Life and Information Technology only provide support for televisions capable of accepting digital signal. Analog televisions are not permitted in the residence halls. To connect your television device to the cable TV service, plug one end of your coax cable into your device and the other end into the cable TV port.

    If you have technical issues with your cable TV service, please verify other known working devices do not work on your port before placing a Helpdesk call.



    For assistance with computer, telecomm or cable TV issues, please contact the Helpdesk by creating an online ticket in the system. You may self-register for an account to submit the details of your request and to track the response. Alternatively, please call x1500.

    Occasionally, the Helpdesk staff will request you bring in your computer. When this occurs, only the CPU is required unless told otherwise.

    Before the Helpdesk will work on any personal computer, you will be required to sign a waiver form giving permission for the Helpdesk staff to work on your computer.

    If an on-site visit is required, you will be required to sign a waiver form giving permission for entry into your residence room and permission for the Helpdesk staff to work on your computer. At all times, two Helpdesk members will be present during an on-site visit.

    An ITS-Residence Hall Service Level Agreement details the support provided by the ITS department for all resident students. For more details, please see the SLA agreement at

    For cable TV problems, you may contact the service provider (Enertron) directly at 586-757-6844.



    ITS maintains a blog for service outages. Please check before reporting an outage to the Helpdesk. If reporting after hours, please leave a message at x1500.

    Never assume an outage has been reported unless it has been documented within the blog. ITS appreciates knowing of outages as soon as possible so we may quickly resolve the matter.


    Sharing Bandwidth

    All resident students share access to the University’s Internet bandwidth, which, at times, can fluctuate in performance based on the level of usage. Measures are in place to ensure optimal usage. Abuse may sometimes reduce overall performance.

    Legal use of P2P services is permitted but performance can be hampered by the slowness of other networks. The sharing of copyrighted materials without permission is a violation of the end-user acceptable use policy you agree to when connecting to the network.

    Any illegal or unethical use will be turned over to the proper authorities. Use of the network is a privilege that can be revoked.

    Based on ITS’s analysis, the quietest time on Detroit Mercy’s network is between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m. when classes are not in session.


    User codes, passwords, etc.

    All users should have received their University user codes and passwords during orientation or by mail sent from the Registrar’s office to your home address on record. User codes and passwords remain the same from school year to school year. If you are unable to remember your password, you must appear in person to the Helpdesk in Fisher Building Room 230 with your validated student ID card to make your request. For the security of all student accounts, password requests must be made in person.

    Social Networks

    The ITS department suggests caution when using community sites (such as Facebook, Twitter, etc.) or open blogging sites (such as Blogger).

    Since these sites are hosted by providers outside of the University of Detroit Mercy and are in no way affiliated with the University of Detroit Mercy, ITS is limited in its ability to provide assistance as issues arise. Any personal data made available may be stored and permanently archived by anyone. The best recommendation ITS can offer to students and parents is to contact the “administrator”, “postmaster” or “webmaster” of the site for technical issues and local law enforcement for criminal matters.


    Campus jobs

    ITS is one of the largest student employers on campus. If you qualify for federal work-study and are interested in working in one of the many areas of ITS (including providing assistance to fellow resident students), please contact

    Frequently Asked Questions

    My data or voice or cable port is not working?
    Plug a known working device into the port to verify the port is bad? If the known device works, check the configuration of your device.

    Can I use a telephone cable as my network cable?
    No, telephone cables are an RJ11 standard, data cables are an RJ45 standard. The two standards are not compatible.

    My system is running slow?
    Verify your system is virus-free and spyware-free. Also, watch your task manager for processes that are consuming the majority of your processing time and disable or remove them if unnecessary. Check your RAM usage as well, you may need to in-crease your RAM.

    My Internet browser always defaults to a site that I did not ask it to. What has happened?
    Your Internet browser has been “hijacked” and you may need to uninstall and then reinstall it or you may need to implement a procedure to remove the hijacking settings.

    For more information ... including applicable policies, laws, training documents and additional services, please visit or call x1500.

Housing Operations: additional policies and procedures

Open All | Close All


    Application process

    Students interested in living on campus should obtain an application agreement online at

    Building closings

    Residents must vacate the residence halls 24 hours after their last exam and no later than 12 p.m. on the day after the last final is offered. Students who wish to live in the halls between breaks must apply in advance of the end of term for Interim/Break Housing and there is an additional charge for living in the halls.


    Break housing

    Residents needing housing between academic terms must apply for Interim Housing in ORL. There is a charge associated with extensions and dining services are not available. The Office of Residence Life and the University of Detroit Mercy does not offer housing over winter break. Housing accommodations at a local hotel will be communicated to students at a comparable rate to living in the residence halls.


    Census report

    All residents are required to sign the census report to verify their housing assignment each semester. Students are not permitted to sign for others or to make changes to the document.


    CO-OP students

    Those students participating in CO-OP must contact the Office of Residence Life regarding housing needs for the following semester or academic year. Special arrangements will be made for those students who have completed a housing application for the following year and terminated the current contract as it applies.


    Contract termination

    Residents sign an agreement for the academic year and are obligated to remain in the halls. Residents must contact ORL for further information and read the Housing Contract regarding housing termination. Your contract can be found in your TitanHousing Portal. Please review your housing contract for specific details regarding contract termination.

    Graduating seniors

    Graduating seniors will be required to move-out with the general population on the last day of finals or 24 hours after their last final, whichever comes first. Housing is not provided between finals and the graduation ceremony.

    Housing eligibility

    It is the policy of the University of Detroit Mercy to offer full, equal, and non-discriminatory assignments without regards to race, nationality, sex, or religious affiliation. To be eligible for University housing a student must, throughout the entire duration of such residency be:
    • Registered for classes and be in satisfactory academic, financial, and discipline-nary standing at the University.
    • Pursuing a full-time course of study in one of the undergraduate, graduate, or professional schools at the University, including approved Co-op. (Part-time students may be permitted if space is available.)
    • Residents who do not meet the above criteria at any time will be required to vacate the residence halls within 24 hours of notice from Residence Life.

    Housing freeze

    During a Housing Freeze students are not permitted to change rooms. However for health and/or safety reason an EMERGENCY ROOM CHANGE may occur with the permission of the Director of Residence Life or Housing Coordinator or designee.

    No room changes are valid unless authorized by the Office of Residence Life. All authorized room changes that occur MUST be completed within 48 hours. Residents must follow all check-out procedures when leaving their old room and all check-in procedures when they move into their new room. Residents who change rooms without authorization will be subject to a $100 charge and/or additional disciplinary sanctions.


    Room assignments

    The Office of Residence Life makes every attempt to accommodate a resident's request for a specific room, but reserves the right to make assignments as necessary. ORL reserves the right also to reassign students to different rooms, floors, or buildings should circumstances necessitate. Single rooms are subject to availability and are not guaranteed.

    Room Assignment Process: Single Rooms
    There are a limited number of spaces designated as single rooms.

    Shiple Hall Residents: single rooms are assigned based on the date the application was received by the University/ORL. Once the spaces have been filled the list is extended by 15 additional students then closed.

    Returning students: after the Room Selection Process, upperclass students requesting a single room are placed on a waiting list. As single rooms become available students are selected from the list. If a student declines an offered single room space they are removed from the list.


    Roommates/suitemate expectations

    It is essential that residents live cooperatively. Cooperation starts with open communication with your roommate and/or suitemates as they have the most immediate impact on you.

    The following is a list of a few common sources of roommate conflicts. If a resident and their roommate and/ or suitemates confront these issues constructively to set down “ground rules”, communication breakdowns and further conflicts may be avoided.

    • Daily Schedules: sleeping times, quiet hours, television viewing, study conditions
    • Housekeeping: making beds, cleaning the room/bathroom, picking up clothes, interior decorating, what is “clean” and “messy”
    • Personal Habits: exercising, foul language, gossiping
    • Telephone Use: long conversations, taking messages
    • Sharing: territorial imperatives, saying “please,” respect for each others property, getting permission
    • Moods: grouchiness, silliness, depression, “taking things out” on a roommates
    • Guests: overnight guests, non-mutual friends, parties, privacy
    • Values: prejudices, religion, politics, philosophy
    • Interests: what you like to do, interests to be shared

    Roommate/Suitemate Expectations: To ensure acceptable living and learning environments for all community members, residents are required to discuss and document their mutual ex-expectations in the form of a roommate agreement form. These agreements must be completed within the first two weeks of opening and turned into your RA. These agreements can be renegotiated at any time. In situations of disagreement, residents are held accountable to their agreements.

Health and safety offices and information

Open All | Close All


    Counseling services

    Personal Counseling — Counselors are available on the McNichols Campus to see students by appointment. Students may call (313) 578-1185 to schedule an appointment.

    Psychology Clinic — The University of Detroit Mercy Psychology Clinic located in Reno Hall will see residents by appointment. Fees are based on a sliding scale (based on the ability to pay). Call 313-578-0570 for an appointment.


    Health services

    The Wellness Center is located on the first floor of West Quad. Enter at the South end of the building. Hours are 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday during the academic year. Call for appointments at 313-993-1185.


    Health insurance

    All Residence Hall students are required by the University of Detroit Mercy to have health insurance and are automatically enrolled into the Student Health Insurance plan offered by the University. However, if you have insurance you may choose to complete a waiver to be excluded from the plan if completed by the September 24th cancellation deadline.


    Medical emergencies

    In case of emergencies, contact Public Safety or a Residence Life staff member. Residents will either be transported to Grace Sinai or Providence Hospitals. Residents must have their insurance cards with them when they go to the hospital. Residents making an emergency visit to the hospital are required to notify Student Health Center at 313-993-1185 within three days of their visit.


    Public Safety & Security

    • Public Safety phone number: 313-993-1234 (campus phones dial: 1234).
    • The Public Safety Office is located on the East wing of the Student Center Building and is open 24 hours a day.
    • As community members, everyone must take responsibility for their own safety and the safety and security of others in the community. Residents should report persistent loiterers, suspicious individuals and packages, etc. to Public Safety Officers and Residence Life Staff immediately.

    Campus mail and banking service offices

    Campus Mail:

    • Residential students receive their mail at the Student Center Mail Service, located in Quad Commons. All information regarding residence life will be sent to your SUMS Box. Incoming mail should be addressed as follows:

    Your Name
    Your SUMS Box Number
    University of Detroit Mercy
    4001 W. McNichols Road
    Detroit, MI 48221-3038


    Alliance Catholic Credit Union is located on the first floor of the Student Union, under the Titan Dining Room.


    University ministry in the residence halls

    Several campus ministry staff and Jesuits reside and work in the residence halls. This unique experience provides residential students an opportunity to interact with the staff and Jesuits in the residence halls. Additionally, the staff and Jesuits help students address their spiritual and personal needs and concerns, organize liturgies for Mass in the Young Martyr's Chapel, and or-organize group activities that help students integrate spirituality into their academic, social, and personal lives.


    • For additional information on Worship times, locations, and other activities and events go to or call: 313-993-1560

    The Shiple Chapel: currently offline during construction.

    • Located in Shiple Hall. It is named in honor of the young men and women of all faiths who have stood up against oppression around the world, and paid the ultimate price. The Chapel is intended to be a multi-denominational gathering space, and is also available for quiet private reflection.

The Residence Halls

Open All | Close All


    Holden Hall

    The oldest residence hall on campus, Holden can accommodate 140 students on three floors. It is a traditional style residence hall with community bathrooms and double rooms off a common corridor. The main lounge is the focal point of life in Holden. Located off of the main entrance, it features a hardwood floor, fireplace, comfortable furniture and a wide screen television. It is a common site for many of the Holden Hall activities and a great hangout space. Located on the ground floor are the laundry and game rooms.

    Quadrangle Complex (Quads)

    Constructed in the late 1960's, the Quads can house about 440 upper-class students. The complex consists of four 4-story residence halls surrounding a single Commons building. The buildings are connected at the basement level to the Quads Commons building. The Quads offer suite arrangements, where two double rooms share a single bathroom. The rooms in the Quads are air-conditioned.

    Shiple Hall

    Home of the First Year Experience program. Constructed in the late 1950's, the building can accommodate approximately 360 students. Shiple is a seven-story traditional style residence hall, with men and women occupying the top six floors, each floor is home to a single gender. The residence floors in Shiple have community bathrooms with double rooms off a common corridor. Each floor also has a social lounge with comfortable furniture and a television, plus a smaller study lounge with study tables and chairs. The building's main floor is attractively furnished and provides a gathering space for Shiple residents and their guests. There is a game room on the ground floor, equipped with pool tables and other furnishings. It is a site for many large scale Shiple Hall and Office of Residence Life sponsored activities. The Office of Residence Life is located on the first floor of Shiple Hall.

    Rooms Include

    • Bunked beds, bed boards or rails and two mattresses
    • A closet (per person) and/or a chest of drawers
    • A desk and a chair
    At the end of the academic year, rooms must be in move-in condition. Charges will
    be assessed to each occupant if the below is not completed.
    • Beds bunked properly
    • Floors swept
    • All personal belongings removed
    • Trash taken to dumpsters

    Single rooms typically come with the double room setup.  All furniture must remain in the room.


    Special interest housing

    First Year Experience (FYE—Shiple Hall)

    The FYE program is located in Shiple Hall and is exclusively for first year students. The program provides specific services, activities and programs that help new students’ successful transition to Detroit Mercy.


    Residence Hall Amenities

    Games Rooms and Main Lounges:

    • All residential spaces are available for the primary use by residents of the building and the Office of Residence Life. Non-residents may reserve residential space if they are acting on the behalf of a registered Detroit Mercy student organization. Reservations are taken through the Resident Director. Shiple and Holden Hall have a games room located on the ground floor. They are equipped with pool and foosball tables. A valid Detroit Mercy student ID must be pro-vided to use game room equipment.

    Quad Commons and Shiple Theater:

    • Located on the ground floor of Quad Commons and the basement of Shiple Hall, the Theater is equipped with a wide screen TV with surround sound. The space is ideal for viewing movies, holding meetings, or other social events.

    Shiple Volleyball Court (SVC):

    • Located between West Quad and Shiple Hall is a full-sized sand volleyball court. Contact Residence Life to reserve the Volleyball Court.

    Renters insurance

    While Detroit Mercy does not cover students' lost, stolen or damaged property; we understand a student’s need for ensuring the safety of their property. Detroit Mercy does not recommend or endorse any individual insurance company, but we recommend all students to contact their insurance agents, check their homeowner's policies and to consider purchasing renter's insurance.