College of Engineering & Science

Open All | Close All



    Admission standards are established with the intent that admitted students have the potential to meet the graduation requirements of the College. Graduate students are admitted by the Associate Dean of Academics of the College on the advice of the chairperson of the student’s program. Graduate students are required to complete any assigned prerequisite courses with grades of ‘B’ or better before beginning graduate courses.


    Academic Advisor

    The role of the advisor is to provide counsel and guidance concerning program or career objectives, selection of courses during registration, conflicts in scheduling, probation problems, poor grades, tutorial referral and personal matters. Each student has ultimate responsibility for his/her own academic program and should be very familiar with all program requirements.

    It is recommended that students run their Degree Evaluation in TitanConnect on a regular basis, and let their advisor or the Associate Dean of Academics know if there are any concerns regarding program requirements.

    In order for an advisor to best serve the student, it is important for the student to keep his/her advisor informed on all academic actions (e.g. registrations, add/drop etc.)

    The faculty advisor is not authorized to waive prerequisites, make substitutions to program requirements, or make exceptions to Department/College/University policies. A student who feels that good and sufficient reason exists for such action should submit a written petition to the Associate Dean of Academics for review by the Student Affairs Committee of the College. See the section Exceptions and Substitutions.


    Academic Integrity (Cheating & Plagiarism)

    As members of an academic community who are engaged in the pursuit of truth and have special concern for values, students are expected to conform to a high standard of honesty and integrity in their academic work. The fundamental assumption under which the University operates is that work submitted by a student is a product of his or her own legitimate efforts. In all cases, the burden is on the student to document by appropriate citations the work product of others that might be included in a submission. It is expected that students will conduct themselves with honesty and integrity when taking exams, quizzes and other assessments. It is also expected that students take measures to protect their own work and do not engage in actions that contribute to others violating academic integrity.

    With the advent of the Internet, it has become increasingly common for students to search out a topic and be virtually flooded with information with a wide range of quality. Using the Internet as a source of information can be considered proper if correctly documented; however if paragraphs, sentences, phrases, keywords, graphs and/or figures (the work product of others) are taken and presented as one’s own, without full citation, it is considered plagiarism. Please refer to Appendix B for the complete policy on academic integrity for the College of Engineering and Science.


    Academic Standards

    Regardless of formal notice, a student’s academic status is determined as outlined below. While the overall QPA is the principal criterion for academic standing, other factors, such as the QPA for the latest term, the major QPA, progress in required courses, number of courses in which registered and actually completed, and any pattern of frequent withdrawals and/or incomplete grades may be considered in making the decision on academic status.

    In order to remain in good standing in the College of Engineering and Science, a graduate student must maintain a cumulative quality point average (QPA) of at least 3.00 and a 3.00 QPA for the courses in their major. Graduate students must have a 3.0 or above cumulative QPA and a 3.0 or above major QPA in order to graduate. The requirement for graduation is a 3.00 quality point average computed on the basis of all courses attempted for graduate credit, including thesis, while enrolled in a particular graduate program.  If not meeting the 3.0 requirement after completion of all the course and/or thesis requirements, a student may take a maximum of six additional credit hours in an attempt to establish the necessary 3.00 quality point average, if it is mathematically possible to achieve a 3.0 QPA.

    A course in which a graduate student has earned a grade of “D” or lower will be included in a student’s QPA, but may not be used to satisfy any requirements for graduation.

    Academic Standing Rules

    • Good Standing: Term QPA ≧ 3.00 AND Cumulative QPA ≧ 3.00
    • Academic Warning: Term QPA < 3.00 AND Cumulative QPA ≧ 3.00
    • Probation: Previously in good standing AND Cumulative QPA < 3.00
    • Probation: Previously on probation AND Cumulative QPA < 3.00 AND Term QPA ≧ 3.00
    • Dismissed: Previously on probation AND Term QPA < 3.00

    Probationary Students

    A student whose cumulative QPA is below 3.00 is automatically placed on academic probation (whether officially notified or not). He/She must meet with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs to discuss and sign a probation agreement. Conditions and restrictions in this agreement are set for the term in which the student registers following the probationary status. Registration without this agreement is considered invalid. If a student has already registered before receiving notification of the probationary status, he/she must contact the Dean’s Office immediately or risk being withdrawn from courses.

    If a student does not satisfy the conditions of the probationary contract he/she is dismissed from the College.

    Dismissed Students

    Any student who has been Dismissed from the College will be administratively withdrawn from any registered courses, including co-op. A student may appeal their dismissal in writing.

    A student who wishes to appeal the dismissal and petition for readmission must write a letter of appeal and meet personally with the Student Affairs Committee of the College. In the letter, the student must fully explain any extenuating circumstances which led to the dismissal, and describe steps which he/she has taken to ensure that future academic performance will improve significantly. Based on the written petition from the student, the Committee explores the circumstances associated with the student’s performance and then grants or denies the petition to continue to take classes. The Committee is authorized to place conditions on the student’s enrollment. These might include, but are not restricted to, limiting of the academic load, requiring the repetition of previous course work, and requiring attainment of a QPA higher than 3.0.

    Dismissed students may apply for re-admission or may apply for admission to another college or school within the University.



    See Change in Registration


    Alcohol Policy

    It is a violation of Detroit City Ordinance 38-5-1 to consume alcohol or liquor on the street or sidewalk. On campus, licensed areas are approved by the MLCC for the consumption of alcohol by those 21 years of age or older. Academic buildings, hallways, lounges, campus grounds, and athletic fields are “public places” under law and University policy, meaning consumption is banned unless a temporary permit is obtained from the state.



    The University defers the attendance policy to the individual instructors. It is expected that students will attend all class sessions and be prepared to contribute as required. As a courtesy, the student should inform the instructor prior to an absence or within 24 hours. If a student misses an assignment, examination, or quiz, the instructor is not required to provide a make-up. Depending on the policy of the instructor, attendance can affect the course grade.


    Auditing a Class

    All course registrations at the University of Detroit Mercy are “credit” registrations. Any student wishing to take a course on an “AUDIT” basis (i.e. gain knowledge without receiving academic credit) must do so by registering for credit using the paper registration form. After the second week of the term, students may not change a course from credit to audit, or from audit to credit.

    A student who is auditing a course pays the applicable tuition and fees for the course. The course will appear on the transcript with the grade “AUD”. The student receives no earned credit for the course. Before approving an audit registration change, an advisor should have the student check the financial aid implications of an audit registration. International students should check with the ISO before an audit registration.

    Alumni of Detroit Mercy may take advantage of the Alumni Audit benefit to audit courses at the same level as their degree for no tuition (fees still apply.)


    Catalog of Entry

    Students whose interruption of study at the University is less than one year retain the right to the requirements of their catalog of entry. Students who have not completed course work at the University for one year or more will have their previous work reevaluated according to the requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of readmission.

    If a program/degree has been discontinued during the period of inactivity then the applicant is not entitled to request a program or classes that no longer exist. The College will work with students in this situation to provide them with a program that is as close to the initial objectives as possible so that as much of the course work previously taken can be applied to the new program.

    It might be wise for a student who has been academically inactive for several years to repeat some key courses that are prerequisites for new major courses, even though they have received credit for the former course work. The student should speak with the program chairperson about this.


    Change in Grade

    On rare occasions, a student may receive an incorrect grade (i.e. posting error). Should this occur, the student should contact the instructor directly within 30 days of receiving the grade. With sufficient reason the instructor may submit a change in grade form (including the reason for the change). These must be approved by the Dean’s Office. Grades will not be changed if an extended period (e.g. six months) between the assignment of the grade and the action to correct the matter has expired.


    Change in Registration (Add/Drop)

    Prior to the start of classes and through Add/Drop week (the first week of classes for 14 week courses), students can use TitanConnect to add/drop classes with the permission of the advisor (granted by the removal of the registration PIN.) If, after registration has been completed a change is needed in the student’s schedule, the student should confer with their advisor before making any changes, and a record of the agreed upon change should be put in the student’s file. If the change is being made after Add/Drop week, the student must complete a “Change of Registration Form,” available in the College Records Office or the Science Offices. This form is sometimes called the Add/Drop form because it can be used for both purposes. After Add/Drop Week, the Change in Registration Form should be signed by the advisor and the instructor(s) of any classes being added, and the Dean’s office. After obtaining the proper signatures it may be taken to the Registrar’s Office for processing.

    Attempting to add a course that is closed, or that has another restriction preventing the student to register, will not be permitted without the signature approval of the instructor and one of the College Deans on the “Override Approval Form.” With all of the correct signatures, courses may be added up to and during the first week of the term. In rare circumstances, it may be possible to add a course later than the first week. It should be noted however, that late entry into a course entails missed instructional material (which can put students at a severe academic disadvantage) and late registration charges.

    In order to drop a course, the student must obtain the signatures of his/her advisor or one of the College deans. Be aware that the dropping of a course is a formal process; it is not sufficient to simply walk away from a course. The latter action will almost certainly result in a failing grade and a continued responsibility to meet the full tuition charges for the course. If a course is dropped prior to the “delete date” (the end of the first week of the term), the course is deleted from the student’s record. If the course is dropped between the “delete date” and the “withdrawal date” (approximately the twelfth week of the term) a “W” appears on the student’s record. After the “withdrawal date” a course cannot be dropped. These timetables are adjusted for the abbreviated summer sessions and accelerated courses. Students should be aware that several withdrawals appearing on their records may be interpreted as an academic weakness. It should be noted that there may be financial implications when a course is dropped. Consultation with the Financial Aid Office is strongly recommended if the student is receiving financial aid.

    If, as a result of dropping course(s), a student falls below 9 credits in a term , he/she will lose full time student status which may impact financial aid and/or immigration status. Exact dates for deleting and withdrawing courses are established by the University (not the College) and are available on-line each term. Moreover, it is highly recommended that students retain all copies of add/drop activities for their own records.


    Children in the Classroom

    Students of the University of Detroit Mercy have the right to attend class free from the distraction of non-students. Therefore, the general policy of the University is that non-registrants are not allowed in the classroom or laboratory. This pertains to children of students as well as other non-registrants because classrooms and other instructional facilities are not intended for children. A faculty member may, at his/her discretion, allow a student to bring a child or other non-registrant to class in an emergency situation provided that:

    • the behavior of the child or other non-registrant is appropriate to the classroom;
    • the rights of all other enrolled students to an effective learning environment are assured;
    • that the presence of the child or other non-registrant is not habitual,
    • and that the child or other non-registrant does not compromise the academic use of any computers or other equipment used in the learning facility.

    Under no circumstances should a student bring a child or other non-registrant to an experimental laboratory or a clinical facility.


    Classroom Etiquette

    To prevent distracting classroom instruction, students should not use cell phones during class time. Cell phones are not permitted in Chemistry labs. Also, phones should be turned off during class time (see the section ELECTRONIC DEVICES IN THE CLASSROOM.) Unless there is an emergency, students should refrain from leaving the room while class is in session. Food and drink are prohibited in all computer and instructional laboratories. Food should not be consumed during class sessions unless medically necessary.



    See Personal Counseling


    Course Grades

    Not uncommonly a student might believe that they need a higher grade than they were assigned. They might seek a higher grade through offering to perform extra work. Grade negotiation of this type is not the practice of the College. Each student in a class is to have equal opportunity to convey their knowledge of the course material through common measures (e.g. homework, quizzes, papers, presentations and examinations). If a student believes that he or she was unfairly graded in a course, then the College Grievance Policy should be followed. See Appendix C.


    Course Syllabi

    Each student should receive from the instructor, during the first regular class session, a written copy of the syllabus for that course. The syllabus should include information such as: a brief description of the purposes and topic content of the course; the grading system employed in the course; attendance policies; required and optional textbooks; special materials and supplies; the approximate dates of major examinations and/or papers; any required “field trips” or other obligations; and the location of the instructor’s office, regularly scheduled office hours and a place where messages to the instructor can be left. For some courses, syllabi may be found online.


    Electronic Devices in the Classroom

    The type of electronic devices that can be used during a class or on an examination will be determined either by the department for which the course is taught or by the instructor of the class. Once these rules are set for a class, they will be strictly enforced. All other electronic devices should be silenced during class time. Students should be sure they are aware of a department’s or instructor’s policy in the classes for which they are registered. Cell phones are not permitted in Chemistry labs.


    Exceptions and Substitutions

    When, for serious reasons, there is a perceived need for a student to deviate from his/her academic program or a published regulation, the student may petition the College Student Affairs Committee. The written petition is submitted to the Student Affairs Committee in care of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and should contain details on the circumstances associated with the requested exception or substitution. Exceptions and/or substitutions are only provided where there is a clear case of unreasonable hardship that occurs through no fault of the student. A written response is provided, usually within 2 weeks after the request.


    Finals Week

    The last week of each of the regular trimesters is set aside for a single class session for each course. The class meets for either an extended class period or an examination. The class meeting time is posted on the Schedule of Classes. If a student has been assigned three examinations during the same day of “Final Week” he/she may ask his/her PROFESSORS for reassignment of an exam. In such situations or in conflicts involving two scheduled class meetings the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs may be consulted for resolution.


    Graduation Preparation

    Students should apply for graduation in the semester prior to their final semester!

    The University Commencement Exercise (at which diplomas are awarded) is held in May. Students must RSVP for Commencement in order to participate. Diplomas can also be obtained without a ceremony at the end of the month in which the degree requirements were completed.

    Students who can complete all graduation requirements by the end of Term III may petition for permission to participate in the May Commencement Exercises if they have registered for the courses necessary to complete the degree requirements and the Dean approves the petition. A graduation fee (set annually by the University) is required for all candidates for graduation.


    Graduation Requirements

    The program requirements of a student are a combination of requirements set by the University, College, and Department. These requirements are given in general form in the Undergraduate Catalog and the Graduate Catalog and are summarized for each student on a summary sheet which is kept in the student’s academic file. Entries are made on this form as a student progresses through the program. Any changes in the program requirements for an individual student must be made by the College Student Affairs Committee. Any approved changes must be documented in writing in the student’s file.  See the section EXCEPTIONS AND SUBSTITUTIONS.

    The graduation requirements for programs in the College are as follows:

    1. Graduate students must maintain an overall QPA of at least a 3.0 in order to graduate.
    2. Grades of “D” or lower do not advance a student toward graduation. However, all grades are counted in the QPA calculation.
    3. Each graduate program has its own set of additional graduation criteria which fit within the general University criteria. See the Graduate Catalog or the department chairperson for the specific program requirements.


    In the event of a difference of position between a faculty member and a student, a formal procedure exists to aid in the resolution of the matter. In general, students are advised to consult with the instructor prior to beginning the appeal process in an attempt to resolve the difference. All appeals (in writing) should be filed in a timely manner, preferably shortly after the cause for the grievance occurs. Please see Appendix C for the complete Engineering and Science Grievance Policy.


    “I” Grades

    An “I” grade may be given to a student when the student has been unable for a serious reason to complete the course. An “I” grade is appropriate under the following conditions:

    • The student is passing the course as of the date of the inability to continue in the course.
    • The student becomes unable to continue in the course after the last date to withdraw from the course with a “W”.

    Other extreme circumstances may support an “I” grade with the Dean’s approval.

    The request for an “I” must be initiated by the student, it is not an automatic grade given by an instructor.

    Students with an excused absence from a final examination must complete the examination within two weeks of the scheduled date, unless the appropriate college administrator permits an extension of the deadline in writing. An “I” grade, not otherwise changed by the dates stipulated, will be changed to an “I/F” (treated as an “F” in the QPA). If there is too much work to be made up in the judgment of the faculty member (e.g., four weeks of the term missed), it may be necessary for the student to repeat the course. (No “I” grade is recorded.) The University does not permit a student to “sit in” on the portion of the class missed. To receive credit for a class a student must register for it and pay the appropriate tuition and fees.

    The instructor who intends to assign an “I” grade must complete the College form. The instructor will provide information on the student and the reason for the Incomplete along with specific details on what outstanding work is to be completed and the date by which it will be submitted for review. The last date to complete the work is identified in the University calendar.


    Laboratory Safety

    While special care is taken in the set-up of laboratory experiments to minimize risks, it is essential to follow proper safety precautions while in the lab. It is essential that the protective wear (e.g. safety glasses, gloves, hair nets, face masks, lab coats) appropriate for the specific laboratory be used. Laboratory staff has the authority to remove from a laboratory anyone not properly protected.

    Power machinery (milling machines, saws, drill presses, grinders, etc.) may only be operated by those properly instructed and cautioned as to safe practices of the specific piece of equipment. Please see the College safety procedures for more information.


    Personal Counseling

    The Personal Counseling service is interested in preventing emotional problems and providing appropriate services to persons who suffer from psychological distress.

    Services Available:

    • Short-term individual, family and group psychotherapy
    • Assessment and referral
    • Educational presentations regarding psychological topics
    • Consultation


    • Call to schedule appointments
    • All services free of charge
    • Strict confidentiality is adhered
    • University-wide eligibility for all students regardless of location.

    The Director is:

    • Annamaria Silveri, MA, LPC Director of Personal Counseling
    • Wellness Center, West Quad
    • Phone: 313-993-1170
    • Email:

    Please call for an appointment.


    Posting a Transcript

    Shortly after a student is certified for graduation by the College and the degree is conferred, the student's official transcript may be ordered online through the National Student Clearing House through TitanConnect. An unofficial transcript is also available on TitanConnect.


    Prerequisite Courses

    Some prerequisite courses may be required of a student to ensure their success in a program. They are to be completed as early as possible in the student’s study plan. Failure to take a prerequisite course first does not eliminate it from a student’s graduation requirements. To see the prerequisites for a course, click the course title in the CLASS SCHEDULE in TitanConnect.


    Quality Point Average (QPA)

    The Quality Point Average (QPA) of a student is determined by dividing the number of earned quality points by the number of attempted hours. The QPA can be determined for a student’s overall record at the University, for the Major Program, or for some portion of the overall record. Repeating courses may modify the computation of the QPA (see the section REPEATING A CLASS).



    Students who have completed course work at Mercy College of Detroit, University of Detroit or University of Detroit Mercy and who have not enrolled at the University for two years or more should apply for readmission by completing a Readmission Application. This form can be obtained from the Registrar’s Office or from any of the college offices. Students who have completed college work at other institutions prior to applying for readmission to the University will be expected to submit transcripts from each college attended. Readmission is subject to approval of the Dean of the College.



    During the advising period set aside by the University, students meet with their advisors to plan a program of courses for the following term. They then register online using TitanConnect after being authorized by their advisor. Students should make an attempt to register as early as possible for any upcoming term. Early registration helps the student avoid closed sections and course conflicts. Students should prepare for the meeting with the advisor by assuring that prerequisites for the courses they wish to take have been completed and that all courses are taken in the sequence established by the department. Students should run their Degree Evaluation in TitanConnect which provides an overview of his/her record, requirements completed and those still needed. This is the principal tool used by the advisor in the advising process. Each student has the responsibility to review their Degree Evaluation and check it for accuracy at each meeting with the advisor. Careful attention to the early registration process can eliminate much of the Change in Registration activity.

    Once a student has registered for a term, he/she is responsible for the payment or the arrangement for payment of tuition and fees before the beginning of the term.

    Registration for a course represents a commitment to that course. After registration, if a student fails to attend the course and does not withdraw from the course, a grade of “F” usually results. Any student who has not registered and made arrangements to pay for courses by the end of the third week is not considered officially registered and will not receive grades for any courses and may not attend class.

    A student is officially a member of a class only when the registration process is completed, including the arrangement for the payment of fees. Only those students whose names are on the class list are registered students.


    Repeating a Class

    When a graduate student repeats a class, both grades count in the QPA calculation but only one attempt advances the student toward graduation. (e.g. earns credit).


    Special Needs

    Upon admission to the University and a program in the College of Engineering and Science, it is the responsibility of a student to identify any special needs that may require an instructor to modify classroom events. This would normally be done on the Application for Admission. Once documented, instructors are then notified of the nature of the student’s needs. Current students who develop needs for special assistance due to physical or other handicaps, on either a temporary or long-term basis, should contact Emilie Gallegos in the University Advising and Academic Services Office at 993-1143. Official documentation is always required. Faculty will then be notified of the nature of the student needs.


    Student Academic Files/FERPA

    Upon entry into the College, an academic file is generated for each student. This file contains application materials, grade reports, and advising notes. Once a student has declared a major, the file also includes a summary form which details all major program requirements.

    By Federal Law, the academic file of the student is private information and available only to personnel within the University with a legitimate need for the information. In general, a student’s academic record can only be released to a third person by written authorization by the student. This written authorization must be renewed for each communication.


    Time Limits

    The maximum time permitted for completion of a master’s program is seven years from the date of admission. Students who need a time extension may apply to the Dean of the College in writing providing a justification and schedule for the completion of unfinished work. All requirements for the doctorate must be completed within seven years of admission into the doctoral program.


    Transfer Credit

    Students without a previous graduate degree may transfer up to 6 credits from another graduate school or program with permission of the department chair or program director.

    Students with a previous graduate degree may transfer 9 credits if either graduate program is less than 36 hours, or up to 12 credits if both graduate programs are at least 36 hours with permission of the department chair or program director.

    Students in the Doctor of Engineering program who have a Detroit Mercy Master’s degree or its equivalent may transfer up to 30 credit hours of appropriate and approved course work. In all cases, transfer of credit is granted only with the approval of the Program Director and the Dean after completing 12 credit hours at the University of Detroit Mercy with a minimum overall average of “B”.

    A minimum grade of “Bis required in all courses presented for transfer. All transfer courses must fall within the time limits established. Credits earned more than five years prior to the student’s application for graduation for a Masters degree are not acceptable. Courses considered for transfer must have been preceded by the appropriate undergraduate background and be consistent with the student’s program of study.

    Students wishing to take graduate courses at other institutions must obtain the written approval of the Dean and Program Director or Chair prior to enrolling in such courses. No more than one semester credit will be allowed per week of short courses or seminars.

    Only OFFICIAL transcripts sent directly from the other institution to Detroit Mercy are considered.

College Contact Information

Interim Dean: Dr. Katherine Snyder
Telephone: (313) 993-1216
Fax: (313) 993-1187