Ford Community Corps Partnerships
The Institute for Leadership and Service (The Institute) is seeking bold and creative ways to use the great resources of the University of Detroit Mercy to serve our community. The Ford Motor Company Fund (Ford) has provided financial support to assist The Institute in fostering the strategic partnerships which form the centerpiece of this new program.
The primary goal of this program is to support faculty and students interested in developing a service-learning project to meet the needs of an agency or target population in metropolitan Detroit. The objectives of the program are to:
- Enhance student leadership skills development through practical experiences of serving those in need.
- Broaden students’ classroom learning through direct community engagement.
- Improve the capacity of community-based, human service organizations by creating partnerships between these organizations, Ford and UDM.
- Increase the students’ awareness of service opportunities in the community and Ford Motor Company’s commitment to community engagement.
- Assist faculty in identifying and using best practices in service-learning.
- Financial support is available for faculty and students who are willing to perform the required tasks. Check out the awards and requirements.
- The faculty member and student-leader must submit a joint proposal of a service-learning project to obtain the grant. Click here to find out how to apply.
- The proposal will be evaluated by the Curriculum of Service Sub-committee of the Institute. Please contact TheInstitute@udmercy.edu if you have further questions.
Past Grant Winners
- Service-Learning Manual by ILS Advisory Board Curriculum of Service subcommittee
- Michigan SL Course Design Workbook (.pdf). We also have eleven copies of this excellent resource in the Institute office.