UDM honors its Mercy heritage
Mercy Nursing graduates return to UDM for Mercy Heritage Celebration: On Sept. 28, classmates and faculty from the Mercy College of Detroit ADN and BSN programs gathered for a Mercy Heritage Celebration on the UDM McNichols Campus. The event included a Mass in the St. Ignatius Chapel and a reception and tours of the Health Professions facility.
Spirit of Mercy Sculpture unveiled: Mercy Day is recognized internationally on Sept. 24 as the anniversary of Catherine McAuley’s opening of the first House of Mercy in Dublin, Ireland in 1827. The UDM community celebrated this year by blessing a new sculpture that was created by UDM’s own Marie Henderson, RSM ’71, an adjunct faculty member in the School of Architecture. Sr. Marie wasn’t able to attend the blessing, however, for a very good reason. She and fellow Sisters of Mercy were on a retreat visiting the original House of Mercy in Dublin on that very day.
The “Spirit of Mercy” sculpture hangs in the lobby of the Health Professions facility on the McNichols Campus. The sculpture includes the figures of Catherine McAuley, Nelson Mandella, Mother Theresa, Desmond Tutu, St. Elizabeth Seton, two healthcare workers, and two Sisters of Mercy (circa 1831), as well as the Mercy cross. The building in the sculpture depicts the original House of Mercy on Baggot St. in Dublin.