Thank you for sending your memorabilia!
A prom book, autographs, fraternity paddles, dance cards and clothing items were some of the college and University memorabilia donated by alumni in response to the article, “Cleaning out your basement or attic?,” in the Spring 2012 issue of Spiritus.
These are wonderful historical “finds” for the University’s Library Archives. We very much appreciate alumni and family of alumni who have been willing to give these treasures to the University as we work on strengthening the archive holdings for the history of our founding institutions. Thank you for taking the time and effort to help preserve the memories of our students.
Some of the unique items sent by alumni include:
• 1945 Delta Pi Kappa fraternity paddle (John Linahan ’48).
• Signed letters from Ed Sullivan and Harry Truman to Fr. Steiner and child’s t-shirt with U of D mascot—with drawing of St. Bernard puppy (Titan) (Penny Franz ’69 and Josephine Franz ’74).
• Mercy College of Detroit 1947 Junior Prom booklet, 1950 Mercy College Commencement program, 1965 Mercy College Alumna issue-Reunion Special, miniature Mercy College of Detroit mug (Nathalie Dutch ’50).
• University of Detroit blanket and letter sweater (Thomas Mayer ’52, ’55).
• University of Detroit Freshman beanie, 1931 copies of Co ord College of Engineering monthly magazine, 1931 Student Handbook, 1932 Kappa Sigma Delta engineering fraternity paddle, 1934-1936 Dance card booklets for Kappa Sigma Delta spring dinner dance, 1935 leather bound commencement booklet, 1930-35 U of D report cards (donated by the family of Joseph J. Marr ’35).
These items and other memorabilia are periodically displayed in glass cabinets in the McNichols Campus Library lobby. Visit the Library, and take a fun stroll down memory lane!
If you would like to donate items to the UDM Libraries, please contact Library Archivist Patricia Higo at 313-578-0435 or bring or send the items to the McNichols Campus Library, 4001 W. McNichols Road, Detroit, MI 48221-3038.