Four are honored as Professor Emeriti
The University announced during the 2011 President’s Convocation in August that John Franklin from Counseling & Addiction Studies, Donna Roe from the McNichols Library, John Saliba, S.J., from Religious Studies and Jane Schaberg from Religious Studies have been honored as Professor Emeritus. This designation recognizes a retired, full-time faculty member or librarian who exemplifies distinguished citizenship through teaching, scholarship or service to the University community.
Retiring faculty and staff
The following UDM colleagues retired at the end of the last academic year:
• Eloise Burns, who served the University for 24 years, most recently in Student Affairs.
• Angela M. Carson, who served for 16 years, retired from the School of Dentistry.
• Carol J. Grennan, who served 33 years, most recently in the School of Dentistry.
• Mary Elizabeth Hannah, who was a faculty member in the Psychology department for 34 years.
• Sr. Colleen M. Hickey, S.S.J., who left the School of Law after 41 years in the School’s Library.
• Carol J. Hicks, who retired after six years in the University Powerhouse.
• Donna Roe, a McNichols Campus librarian, who retired after 19 years.
• Patricia Wittmer, who retired after 26 years as the administrative assistant for five vice presidents for Academic Affairs.
• Mariemma Yousey, who served at both Mercy College of Detroit and University of Detroit Mercy for 29 years, most recently as the president’s executive assistant.
Faculty to be recognized for excellence in teaching and scholarship
The University will recognize Nihad Dukhan, associate professor of Mechanical Engineering, with the Faculty Achievement Award and Jonathan Weaver, professor of Mechanical Engineering with the Distinguished Faculty Award at the Faculty Excellence Awards on November 11, 2011. Each year, two faculty members or librarians are selected by the faculty from among the entire faculty to receive these honors.