Crisis Protocol: Gas Leak
The smell of a gaseous odor in areas that are not appropriate and are believed to pose a threat to life or property.
- STOP ALL OPERATIONS IMMEDIATELY.
- Vacate the area.
- If unable to leave the area, ventilate room with fresh air.
- Call the Department of Public Safety from a safe location.
- Provide the building, floor and room number with the problem.
- Advise of the type of problem and injuries if known.
- DO NOT USE ELEVATORS.
- Once outside, proceed to the Gathering Point identified for your building.
- Keep streets, fire lanes, hydrant areas and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel.
- DO NOT return to the building until you are told to do so by the Department of Public Safety or University official.
- The Building Coordinator will take attendance and assist in accounting for all building occupants.
- If requested, assist emergency crews as much as necessary.
- A campus emergency command post may be set up near the emergency site. Keep clear of the command post unless you have official business.