Crisis Protocol: Electrical or Lighting Failure
The loss of electrical currents to a portion or all of the University's property.
- Between the hours of 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday - Friday immediately notify Facilities Operations at 313-993-1240.
- If there is a potential danger to the building occupants or a complete utility failure occurs after hours, weekend, or holiday, notify the Department of Public Safety at 313-993-1123.
- If an emergency exists, pull a fire alarm to evacuate the building.
- Proceed to the nearest exit.
- Once you are at a safe location, call the Department of Public Safety.
- Tell the Department of Public Safety the building, floor and room number with the problem.
- Advise the Department of Public Safety of the problem and any known injuries.
- Assist persons with mobility difficulty in exiting the building.
- DO NOT USE THE ELEVATORS in case of a fire.
- If available, use secondary lighting system such as a flashlight.
- Once outside, proceed to the Gathering Point identified for your building.
- DO NOT return to the building until you are told to do so by the Department of Public Safety or University official.
- Keep streets, fire lanes, hydrant areas and walkways clear for emergency vehicles and personnel.
- The Building Coordinator will take attendance and assist in accounting for all building occupants.
- If requested, assist emergency crews as much as necessary.
- A campus emergency command post may be set up near the emergency site. Keep clear of the command post unless you have official business.