Date: December 19, 2013
Location: Off Campus / Corktown Campus – Parking Lot K
The University of Detroit Mercy Public Safety Department is investigating an Attempted Carjacking that occurred in Parking Lot K on Dec. 19, 2013. A UDM employee had just entered her vehicle when Perpetrator #1 exited a silver SUV, possibly a newer model Ford Explorer, which was blocking the employee's vehicle. Perpetrator #1 opened the driver's door, produced a semi-automatic handgun and ordered the employee out of her car.
The employee complied and handed over her keys. The employee then started screaming for help at which time Perpetrator #1 exited her vehicle and ran off the campus and was picked up by the silver SUV which fled west on Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd. The Detroit Police Department was notified and they are also actively searching for the perpetrator and the escape vehicle.
Perpetrator #1 is described as a Black Male 5'11" tall, wearing a skeleton Halloween mask and blue jeans.
DPS will continue to provide the community with security and safety information through safety notices and updates on the DPS web site.
- Make sure your belongings are secure when walking.
- Utilize the campus escort policy or walk with others when possible.
- On campus emergencies call Public Safety 313-993-1123
- Off campus emergencies call 9-1-1
- Do not carry large amounts of cash
- Do not count your cash in view of others
- Be aware of your surroundings and others around you at all times.
- Limit the use of devices that distract you while you are walking (e.g. text messaging, iPods)
Department of Public Safety
- Campus Phone 1-2-3
- Non-Campus Phone 313-993-1123
- 101 Student Center Building, McNichols Campus