Date: March 05, 2012
Location: On Campus / Corktown Campus – School of Dentistry
CORKTOWN CAMPUS – The University of Detroit Mercy (UDM) Department of Public Safety issues this safety notice to make the community aware of suspicious circumstances observed in the parking areas and along the perimeter of the campus on Monday March 5th approximately 4:40 p.m.
A UDM dental student called Public Safety after observing a black Dodge Stratus with four black males inside continuously driving around Lot-K and possibly attempting to enter into Lot-L. When the occupants observed the student watching them they immediately left the premises.
The information provided by the astute student provided valuable vehicle and suspect information for patrol officers. The patrol officers later observed a Stratus driving the perimeter of the campus multiple times. One patrol officer located a suspect in the northeast corner of Lot-M. The suspect entered a black Dodge Stratus fleeing from the officer when he attempted contact.
Shortly after, the four suspects returned parking the vehicle on Magnolia Street. One suspect exited the vehicle and appeared to pick up an unknown item off the ground. The suspect turned to the officer with one hand under his jacket and made reference to having a gun before fleeing northbound on 18th Street. Through further initiatives the Dodge Stratus was stolen earlier in the day and has been recovered by the Detroit Police Department. The perpetrators have not been apprehended.
UDM Public Safety is asking the community to be vigilant of your surroundings and to report all unusual circumstances to the Department at (313) 993-1234. Officers are available for a nearby campus escort.
- Suspect # 1: B/M 16-17 years old, medium build, wearing green jacket, red hooded shirt, and blue jeans.
- Suspect # 2: B/M 30-35 years old, black beard, 5’10”, heavy build, wearing black jacket, jeans and winter stocking hat.
- Suspect # 3 and # 4: B/M no further description.
- On campus emergencies call Public Safety (313) 993-1123
- Off campus emergencies call 9-1-1
- DO NOT attempt to intervene, follow or engage suspicious persons in a conversation.
- When parking your car, if you see suspicious persons who appear to be loitering, LEAVE.
- Be aware of your surroundings and others around you at all times.
- Limit the use of devices that distract you (Ex. Text messaging, iPods).
- Be aware that your risk increases in secluded and isolated areas.
- Always lock your vehicle door and roll up windows when leaving your car.
- Have your keys in hand so you are ready to open the car door immediately.
Important things to look for:
- Height & Weight Race & Gender Clothing Age
- Hair color & styleComplexion Unusual marks Eye color
- Vehicle type, color License plate Direction of escape
Department of Public Safety
- Campus Phone 1-2-3
- Non-Campus Phone (313) 993-1123
- 101 Student Center Building, McNichols Campus