Date: February 22, 2012
Location: Off Campus / McNichols and Fairfield
McNICHOLS CAMPUS – The University of Detroit Mercy (UDM) Department of Public Safety issues this safety notice to make the community aware of a carjacking that took place at the BP Gas Station on the corner of McNichols Road and Fairfield Street on Wednesday February 22nd at 10:40 a.m.
According to local media sources, an 86-year-old man was pumping his gas at the BP Gas Station “when someone hit him from behind, breaking his leg, and then grabbed his keys and stole his new car.” According to sources “the thief drove off in Brantley's 2010 Chrysler 200 -- bought to replace another car recently stolen.”
The vehicle was last seen traveling eastbound on McNichols Road. The vehicle was later reported as recovered with the wheels/tires and radio missing. The perpetrators have not been apprehended.
UDM Public Safety is asking anyone who was in the area and may have seen anything to contact the Department at (313) 993-1234.
- Utilize the campus escort policy or walk with others when possible.
- On campus emergencies call Public Safety (313) 993-1123
- Off campus emergencies call 9-1-1
- Do not carry large amounts of cash
- Use a campus ATM machine when possible
- Do not count your cash in view of others
- Be aware of your surroundings and others around you at all times.
- Limit the use of devices that distract you while you are walking (Ex. Text messaging, iPods).
Department of Public Safety
- Campus Phone 1-2-3
- Non-Campus Phone (313) 993-1123
- 101 Student Center Building, McNichols Campus