Parking lot related incidents
Date: September 01, 2011
Location: On Campus / McNichols Campus, Corktown Campus, Riverfront Campus
Campus – Recently, several vehicles were broken into while in the parking areas of the UDM Campuses. These incidents are disturbing for all of us. The Department of Public Safety (DPS) is reviewing security measures to address reported incidents, but are urging the community to be vigilant and report all suspicious activity to DPS at (313) 993-1123.
DPS will continue to provide the community with security and safety information through media, safety notices and updating the DPS web site.
Witnesses are asked to contact Lieutenant Soviak in the UDM Public Safety Department at (313) 993-1234.
- On campus emergencies call Public Safety (313) 993-1123
- Off campus emergencies call 9-1-1
- Always lock your vehicle door and roll up windows when leaving your car.
- Place valuables in the trunk or take them with you.
- Do not leave cash or other valuables in view of others.
- Never leave your keys in your car, even if you will only be gone for a moment.
- When parking your car, look for suspicious persons who appear to be loitering.
- Be aware of your surroundings and others around you at all times.
- Don’t walk into an area if you feel uncomfortable, call DPS at (313) 993-1234.
- Utilize the campus escort policy or walk with others when possible.
- Have your keys in hand so you are ready to open the car door immediately.
- License plates are sometimes stolen and used in other crimes. Visually check for your license plate each time you drive.
- Limit the use of devices that distract you while you are walking to and from your car (Ex. Text messaging, iPods).
Department of Public Safety
- Campus Phone 1-2-3
- Non-Campus Phone (313) 993-1123
- 101 Student Center Building, McNichols Campus