Date: July 01, 2011
Location: Off Campus / Fairfield and Grove
McNichols Campus– The University of Detroit Mercy Public Safety Department is working with the Detroit Police Department in connection with an armed robbery that occurred off campus at 2:30 a.m. on July 1st.
The victims, University of Detroit Mercy Students exited campus via the Fairfield turnstile when they were approached by the suspect who produced a handgun demanding their wallets. The victims turned over their wallets. The suspect then fled on foot south on Fairfield.
The suspect is described as a black male approximately 30 years old, 6 ft. in height, medium build, goatee, wearing a white T-shirt and dark shorts. The suspect was armed with a nickel plated semi-automatic handgun.
Witnesses are asked to contact Sergeant Soviak of the UDM Public Safety Department at (313) 993-1234.
- Utilize the campus escort policy or walk with others when possible.
- On campus emergencies call Public Safety (313) 993-1123
- Off campus emergencies call 9-1-1
- Do not carry large amounts of cash
- Use a campus ATM machine when possible
- Do not count your cash in view of others
- Be aware of your surroundings and others around you at all times.
- Limit the use of devices that distract you while you are walking (Ex. Text messaging, iPods).
Department of Public Safety
- Campus Phone 1-2-3
- Non-Campus Phone (313) 993-1123
- 101 Student Center Building, McNichols Campus