Best Practices: Promoting a Successful UDM Event
There are six steps to promoting a successful event at UDM. The following are all the forms, departments, & individuals you should use when planning an event.
Step 1) Contact Facility Operations
- Use of Facilities Application Form
- Business Operation Supervisor Alysa Jackson -313-993-1240
On the Facilities Application form it instructs you to "Submit the the completed form to the scheduling department for the area of the requested form", it then will list the departments. It is strongly suggested that no matter where you plan to have your event, you should also submit a copy to public safety.
Step 2) Contact Public safety
Step 3) Create your event website/web page
When creating your website/page, make sure you have gathered or generated all the images,links, or content you will need.
- Option A: Create the website/page on your own
- Option B: Use an online event calendar page for your web page. Submit event information for online calendar.
- Option C: You can seek the assistance of the MPA office. If you opt for option C, you will still need to have all the information stated above, submitted at least two weeks prior the event date.
Here are two helpful examples of how to construct an event website/page.
Step 4) Contact UDM Marketing & Public Affairs
Phone: 313-993-1254If your event will require a professional photographer, you will need to submit a Photography Request Form.
If you are promoting a large marketing campaign here some steps you will need to take.
- Decide if you need a press release created for local/national media.
- Decide if you will need a video posted on the web. The marketing department does not provide video services, however, they will need to know wether you will utilizing video on the website after the event.
- Will you need to use social media on a large scale (ie. web ads)? Will you just be using it on a smaller scale, such as Facebook posts, or twitter?
Step 5) Submitting your event
Send your event information to the UDM Event Calendar and the Campus Connection newsletter:
Step 6) Advertise using social media.
Start advertising for your event at least two weeks before the planned event. Depending on how big your event is, you may even want to start advertising earlier.
- Paula Guthat - firstname.lastname@example.org