Best Practices for Cascade Troubleshooting
A. Most common Cascade Publisher issues
If you see errors in you Cascades Server published webpage please consider the following o resolve the issues.
1. Internal vs. External Links
Any internal pages/files/images need to be linked internally. If any name (URL) or location change happens in a page, Cascade will automatically change all associated internal links as well. Any links used externally will be broken.
- The boxed link is broken; the horizontal arrow displays the link information:
- Because the link is broken, it takes you to this page:
- Here, the larger vertical arrow shows how the external link box is checked. Click the internal link box, referred to by the smaller horizontal arrow to correct the link information:
- To Fix the link, find the appropriate page and click "Confirm":
2. Cascade Folder Structure/URL
When publishing a set of changes to “Page A”, be sure to publish not only that page, but any other page associated with “Page A”, whether in navigation or any link inside “Page A” itself.
When naming folders ("system name"), use lower case letters with no spaces between words. If possible, use one word for every folder- the shorter, the better. Use hyphens between words rather than underscores (- rather than _). Google Analytics would rather show hyphens.
*Redirects can be provided by the Marketing and ITS departments upon request.
When naming page, there is no preference of upper or lower case letters. As with files (images, .pdfs), no spaces. Stay away from characters such as '&', ':', '+', etc. Any spaces in the name of the document will be read as a percentage in the URL. Be sure that the file type shows so that the server can read the document properly.
3. Google Search and UDM
When using the search box on the top of any page, understand that the results are controlled by Google.com, not the University. If a link does not work in the search, there has been a change in the site not recognized by Google. Changes may take up to a month to be recognized by any search engine in general.
4. Browser behavior
If your version of the browser is not current, you may see differences in the way the page appears. Please be sure to update the browser that you use the most, before contacting Marketing for our assistance.
Browser updates:Internet Explorer: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-9/worldwide-languages
Mozilla Firefox: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/
When publishing a page in Cascade, refresh the browser to see changes.
5. Cascade Publisher Queues
When you publish in Cascade your work will be saved as a "job" by the publisher. Two current jobs can be published at one time. Any other jobs will be in the "Queued Jobs" until there is space available to publish. After you see your job disappear from the screen refresh the browser again to see any changes.
To View "Publisher Queue":
- Click on the Cascade Server Icon:
- Choose "Publisher":
- Select "Active jobs":
- You are now at "Publisher Queue".
B. File formatting for Web/Print projects
1. When submitting projects to MPA, please use the following formats:
- Images: JPEG, GIF, PNG, Ai (Adobe Illustrator), or .EPS (vector) at the highest resolution.
- If files are large, please bring files on a disc or compress the files into a Zipped folder.
2. Webpage changes/ Print document text file types:
- Text: Word Document
- Attachments: .PDF
- Please do not send Microsoft Publisher files (.pub). We do not support this application.
3. Web/Print Preliminary draft design specifications:
- Please send text and images separately. Do not create "Mockups" created in Microsoft Word, Acrobat or Publisher.
C. Internal vs External Event Calendar
- Internal Titan Connect Calendar is associated with Sodexo, Facilities and registrar. Events placed in this calendar do not show on the External Web Calendar.
- This is the University's website calendar used to market to the University community (Alumni, students, faculty, etc).
- In order for events to show, you must submit to http://www.udmercy.edu/news_events/events/submit/index.php. You are now able to attach images in the Event Calendar, indicated by the arrow: