UDM is Research
Research at UDM: Universities expect their faculty to contribute to "peer-reviewed research."
That means three things:
One - Write:
Faculty do their own research and submit it for peer review. Peer review publications test research for accuracy and for originality.
Two - Referee:
Faculty serve as referees for other scholars' research. Usually the review process is "double blind." The researcher does not know who referees her/his work; the referees do not know whose work they are refereeing. The focus is on the work itself, not the personalities involved.
Three - Read:
Every faculty member, just like your doctor or dentist or lawyer, is expected to keep up with new research in her/his field. That means lots of reading and thinking.
Refereeing other peoples' research is one of the hidden labors that faculty members do along with their own research, their class preparations, office hours, and committee work.
Why Research? - Faculty Author Totals
The answer goes right to the heart of why universities exist.
Universities are places where students learn to think critically and to understand reality from many different perspectives. Universities also give grades which testify to a student's competence. The faculty who teach critical thinking and evaluate student achievement had better know their business. Universities represent the best in the human desire to understand things accurately and wisely. Scholarship depends on many people working at the research and editing process in an on-going effort to "get it right." UDM expects its faculty to be practicing scholars as well as classroom teachers.
- 4 Books by 4 UDM Faculty Authors
- 16 Book Chapters by 12 UDM Faculty Authors
- 86 Journal Articles by 84 UDM Faculty Authors, 10 Student Authors
- 38 Conference Proceedings by 37 UDM Faculty Authors, 13 Student Authors
Total Publications 144
- 66 Poster Presentations by 43 UDM Faculty and 94 UDM Students
- 5 Electronic Presentations were prepared by 3 UDM Faculty and 12 UDM Students
- 1 Non-Print Projects was displayed by 2 UDM Faculty
- 15 Student awards were received by 16 UDM Students
- 4 Oral Presentations were given by 5 UDM Faculty and 2 UDM Students
- 12 Books by 16 UDM Faculty Authors
- 16 Book Chapters by 17 UDM Faculty Authors
- 94 Journal Articles by 96 UDM Authors
- 29 Conference Proceedings by 27 UDM Authors
Total Publications 151
- 54 Poster Presentations by 45 UDM Faculty and 115 UDM Students
- 8 Electronic Presentations were prepared by 9 UDM Faculty and 8 UDM Students
- 3 Non-Print Projects were displayed by 2 UDM Faculty
- 25 Student awards were received by 29 UDM Students
- 8 Books by 7 UDM Faculty Authors
- 13 Book Chapters by 14 UDM Faculty Authors
- 94 Journal Articles by 98 UDM Faculty Authors
- 28 Conference Proceedings by 17 UDM Faculty Authors
Total Publications 143
- 83 Posters/Slideshows were presented by 70 UDM Faculty and 112 UDM Students
- 6 Electronic Presentations were prepared by 3 UDM Faculty and 13 UDM Students
- 4 Non-Print Projects, including Theatre Scenic Design Posters, and Posters for a Vocal Performance were displayed by 4 UDM Faculty
- 10 Student Awards were given to 20 Student Awardees
The complete list of titles and the program from the 2011 Celebration of Faculty Achievement and information about the 2012 Celebration of Scholarly Achievement can be found at http://research.udmercy.edu/achievement.
- 15 Books
- 20 Book Chapters
- 68 Journal Articles
- 34 Conference Proceedings
141 UDM Faculty Authors wrote 137 Total Publications.
In addition, there were 82 Posters and Slideshows by 79 UDM Faculty and 120 UDM Students.
- 14 Books
- 28 Book Chapters
- 96 Journal Articles
- 24 Conference Proceedings
107 UDM Faculty Authors wrote 162 Total Publications
- 12 Books
- 19 Book Chapters
- 86 Journal Articles
- 25 Conference Proceedings
126 UDM Faculty Authors wrote 142 Total Publications
UDM's faculty edit a number of distinctly different scholarly journals; POST Identity (from the English Department), Technology and Culture (from the History Department and the Office of Mission and Identity), the Institute for North Korean Studies (INKS) (from the College of Business Administration), and many others. Check them out at these links:
- 18 Books
Only Books published during the 2006 to 2007 academic year were included in the 2007 Celebration
- 113 Books
All Books published by current UDM Faculty Authors were included in the inaugural brochure. Publication dates ranged from 1972 to 2006.