Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week, Nov. 12-16, 2012
Each year, one week before Thanksgiving, the National Coalition for the Homeless and the National Student Campaign Against Hunger and Homelessness co-sponsor National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week. During this week, schools, communities and cities take part in a nationwide effort to bring greater awareness to the problems of hunger and homelessness.
UDM's activities include:
- 7 p.m. - Kick-off, Student Center, Fountain Lounge
Sleepout starts 8:30 p.m., Kassab Mall (Phi Beta Sigma)
- 7 p.m. – Women’s Basketball Game
Calihan Hall – Can Drive
- 4:30 - 6:30 p.m. - Service Day – NSO Bell Building;
Sign- up at all events
- 6 p.m. - Covenant House Vigil (van leaves at 5:30p.m.)
- 6 p.m. - Dodge for a Cause – Student Fitness Center (E.S.S.E)
Friday & Saturday
- Campus Kitchen @UDM
Fri. – Closet Clean-up
Sat.- Delivery 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
Participating in National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week not only brings greater awareness with our community, but also helps to promote the national endeavor to end hunger and homelessness. The plight of those without a home can be both lonely and difficult. Addressing their struggles by organizing and participating in this week may bring greater solidarity and understanding, as well as promote future involvement.
- Sponsored by: SGA, Institute for Leadership and Service, CK@UDM, Women’s Basketball, Residence Life, and University Ministry
- Contact University Ministry at 993-1560.
For more information check out the following site:
National Coalition for the Homeless
(Resources for Hunger Awareness Week)