Hunger & Homelessness Awareness Week, Nov. 18-23, 2013
Each year, one week before Thanksgiving, the National Coalition for the Homeless and the National Student Campaign Against Hunger and Homelessness co-sponsor National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week. During this week, schools, communities and cities take part in a nationwide effort to bring greater awareness to the problems of hunger and homelessness.
UDM's activities include:
Monday, November 18
- 7 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. Guest Speaker: Malik Yakini, Detroit Black Food Security Network
- Location: Life Science 113
- 7:15 p.m. "Sleep Out for Homelessness" co-sponsored by Phi Beta Sigma and Zeta Phi Beta
- Kick-off in Grounds, sleep out at Kassab Mall
Wednesday, November 20
- 7 p.m.- 9 p.m. Turkey Bowling
- Location: Ballroom
- Please bring 2 canned goods plus $1.00 to participate!
Thursday, November 21
- 7 p.m.- 10 p.m. Dodge Ball Tournament- sponsored by Engineering and Science Student Council
- Location: Student Fitness Center
- $5.00 per person and 1 canned good donation for each team of six.
- Sign-up in the Student Life Office by Wednesday, November 20th
Friday, November 22
- 7 p.m. Men's basketball Game
- Calihan Hall
Saturday, November 23
- 10 a.m.- 2 p.m. Turkey Palooza sponsored by UDM Campus Kitchens
- Location: Dining Services Area, Student Center Building, 2nd Floor
- RSVP to email@example.com by Wednesday, November 20
Participating in National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week not only brings greater awareness with our community, but also helps to promote the national endeavor to end hunger and homelessness. The plight of those without a home can be both lonely and difficult. Addressing their struggles by organizing and participating in this week may bring greater solidarity and understanding, as well as promote future involvement.
- Sponsored by: SGA, Institute for Leadership and Service, CK@UDM, Residence Life, and University Ministry
- Contact University Ministry at 993-1560.
For more information check out the following site:
National Coalition for the Homeless
(Resources for Hunger Awareness Week)