Community Outreach - Athletics
Student-Athletes Make Time for Service Projects
Student-Athletes participated in a variety of community service projects during the 2011-2012 school year:
- S.A.A.C (Student-Athlete Advisory Committee) Sandwich Bus: Made lunches of sandwiches, water, juice, snacks and fruit, and passed out more than 50 lunches to the needy in downtown Detroit during each outing in a three-month period. Special Olympics Day: Invited 50 members of the Special Olympics Detroit onto campus for instruction from our Men's & Women's Track Team, Men's & Women's Soccer Teams and Men's & Women's Lacrosse Team and a shoot around with our Men's & Women's Basketball Teams.
- Girls & Women in Sports Day: Free event to local girl athletes who received skill instruction provided by all of our female athletes and free admission to our Women's Basketball game.
- Polar Plunge: Women's Lacrosse Team volunteered working the Fundraiser for the Special Olympics of Michigan. They also raised money as members of the Women's Lacrosse Team participated in the Polar Plunge - jumping into the Detroit River on a cold February Day.
- Habitat For Humanity: Men's Lacrosse Team volunteered for Habitat for Humanity in the Detroit Area. All 50+ team members assisted in building/repairing homes in Detroit.
- Boys & Girls Club: Softball Team volunteered their time in the after school program. McAuley Health Center: Women’s Basketball Team participated in McAuley Health Center’s "Are You Kid Enough?" program. Special Needs Camp: Men’s Basketball Team conducted a special needs camp during the summer, providing skill instruction to those with special needs.