UDM Logo

Study Abroad Programs - Frequently Asked Questions

General Information

  1. What steps are involved in studying abroad?
  2. What is study abroad?
  3. What courses are offered?
  4. Where would I stay while abroad?
  5. Can I participate in a UDM study abroad if I am not a student?
  6. Do I need to know a foreign language to study abroad?
  7. Do I need to have a passport to study abroad?
  8. Do I need vaccinations before traveling abroad?
  9. Can international students participate in UDM’s programs?


  1. Is financial aid applicable?
  2. How much does study abroad cost?

Other Issues

  1. Liability


13. Assessing Study Abroad: Student Learning, Engagement & Impact of Experience


1. What steps are involved in studying abroad?

Here are seven steps to studying abroad:

  1. Identify programs of interest by perusing UDM’s Study Abroad web site.
  2. Find out who runs your program(s) of interest by clicking on UDM’s study abroad page.
  3. Contact the program director by email to find out application and enrollment deadlines, tuition and fees, itinerary.
  4. Complete your FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov for the semester you are interested in traveling/studying abroad, if not already completed.
  5. Contact UDM’s financial aid offices as soon as possible to find out how to maximize financial aid to cover tuition and program fees during the semester you are interested in studying/traveling abroad.
  6. Complete UDM’s one-page financial aid application for all summer programs.
  7. Remain in contact with the program director and financial aid officer to ensure your application has been processed and to determine the feasibility of your studying abroad this year.

Internationally Based Educational Experiences2. What is study abroad?

The University of Detroit Mercy offers several contexts for studying abroad through Internationally Based Educational Experiences, which include semester-long and short-term faculty-led programs. Read "Internationally Based Educational Experiences" (.pdf) for definitions of each program type, and whether financial aid may be available to students.

3. What courses are offered?

Most UDM short-term international experiences are open to students in all majors. The best way to find out which courses are associated with each program is to contact the program director directly. Consult the study abroad page and search by program to locate the program director in charge of scheduling this year’s program.

For exchange programs and longer-term programs available through UDM and the AJCU, you should consult the program director listed to obtain a list of courses associated with your program to find out the courses/majors of study, as well as all other relevant program information.

4. Where would I stay while abroad?

Short-term internationally-based experiences: Accommodations may vary from program to program, and accommodations may be covered as part of the program fee. Types of housing can include hotels or university dorms.

Longer-term programs may provide on-campus or off-campus housing. Housing and meal fees may be assessed separately from tuition or may be bundled. You must check with the program of interest to find out more information about your accommodations and meals. For each program, the type of housing available for students should be indicated on either the web site of information brochure. Students are encouraged to find out all fees associated with exchange programs prior to enrolling in programs of interest.

5. Can I participate in a UDM study abroad if I am not a student?

Short-term international experiences: Many of our faculty-led programs welcome non-UDM participants ages 18 and over (no minor children are able to travel in UDM programs). All non-UDM participants, including alumni and students from other universities, are subject to the same program fees, terms, accommodations, meal plans, and itinerary as UDM students. If you are joining us from another university, it is important to check with your home institution’s financial aid offices to determine financial aid eligibility. All non-UDM participants may be required to enroll in one-credit hour of study, are expected to adhere to the program’s itinerary and program objectives while abroad, and are required to participate in all predeparture orientation sessions.

Longer term exchange and direct-enrollment programs: UDM's exchange programs are program and college-specific. Many AJCU programs accept students from other universities, as well as students within the consortium. Please contact the director of each program of interest to find out whether students from other universities are accepted.

6. Do I need to know a foreign language to study abroad?

Study abroad is a great opportunity for students who would like to develop their foreign language skills; however, knowing a foreign language is not a requirement for all study abroad programs. Some programs may require a certain level of proficiency in a different language and this information can be found on the description found in the program search.

7. Do I need to have a passport to study abroad?

All UDM programs require a valid passport to study abroad. Make sure your passport will be valid 60 days after the program return date. Additionally, many countries require that you obtain a travel visa. Both passports and travel visas are out-of-pocket expenses not covered by financial aid.

Here’s what you’ll need to do to get your passport:

  1. Birth certificate
  2. State identification (or driver’s license)
  3. 2 passport photos - ask for government-regulated photos. Affix one picture to your passport application. The passport may require two photos be mailed with your application.

Visit your local post office to apply for a passport, or visit https://www.usps.com/shop/apply-for-a-passport.htm .

8. Do I need vaccinations before traveling abroad?

You are advised to check with the Centers for Disease Control’s web site http://www.cdc.gov/ to obtain information about recommended or required vaccinations. Please consult the web site regularly.

9. Can international students participate in UDM’s programs?

UDM international students may participate in certain programs. Consult the country’s consular web site to find out regulations and requirements prior to enrolling in the program of interest.


10. Is financial aid applicable?

Financial aid may be available to help cover tuition, airfare and other fees associated with the program. Contact UDM's Financial Aid office for more information.

11. How much does study abroad cost?

Students who study abroad in a faculty-led short term international experience pay the same amount per credit hour abroad as they do here on campus. In addition, program fees are charged. These include airfare, accommodations, some meals, and many site visit entrance fees. Check with your program advisor to get a checklist of what is and is not covered.

For full-time undergraduate students traveling in a short-term program during winter, tuition may be covered under your flat rate as long as you do not exceed 18 credits. Tuition discounts may be available for programs that run during summer term. For longer term programs, costs may depend on length of time abroad, housing, and tuition charged at the institution through which you study (for non-UDM programs). Estimated costs are dependent upon program year and focus. Contact the program director of the program(s) of interest to find out program fees and tuition for this year’s programs. Don’t forget to consult UDM’s financial aid offices to maximize your award!


12. Liability


13. Assessment

Assessing Study Abroad: Student Learning, Engagement & Impact of Experience

Students are encouraged to reflect on learning experiences abroad and the impact of studying abroad on academics, global awareness, personal and professional growth. These surveys can help them do this. Faculty may use these tools at various stages of international programming. Once completed, students submit these surveys to the director of the program they participated in.