Budget Team: Operational Policies and Procedures
I. Reporting Line: Reports to the President of the University
When formal recommendations are made to the President, the President will inform the team of his/her decision or reaction to the proposal within 60 days. If the President decides to take a course of action different from that recommended by the team, the President will make him/herself available to explain to the team the reason for the contrary action.
A. One representative from the School of Law
B. One representative from the School of Dentistry
C. One faculty representative of the MFA from among it members
D. One elected representative of the McNichols faculty
E. Five administrative representatives
1. Chairperson or Co-Chairpersons will be chosen by the Team membership on an annual basis
2. Chair or Co-Chair will call and conducts meetings for the Team
3. Provides notification of a meeting at least ten days prior to the meeting
4. Develops meeting agendas for distribution at least five days before the scheduled meeting
5. Provides the Team with issues identified by the President and Provost/VPAA
6. Provides advice, ongoing reports and consultation, and other actions to timelines established by the President
7. For the first meeting of Fall Term, if the past year’s Chair or Co-Chair is no longer on the team, the MFA representative is to call the first meeting.
1. Takes minutes of Team meetings
2. Circulates minutes to the Team for approval during the week after the meeting
3. Maintain record of approved resolutions and other actions of the Team
4. Abbreviates meeting minutes to one page for the University Archives within one week of minutes being approved
5. Submits summary minutes to email@example.com for posting to the website
6. Maintains roster of Team membership and notifies both the shared governance web administrator and firstname.lastname@example.org of the names, departments, and college/schools of the newly elected members.
A. Meetings will take place at mutually agreed upon times of all members
B. Any item Team members would like to have included in the agenda must be forwarded to the Chair or one of the Co-Chairs ten days prior to the meeting.
C. A quorum of at least 5 of the 9 team members is required for consensus or a vote to take place. A meeting can take place with less than a quorum.
D. Provide recommendations and other actions according to timelines established by the President or Provost/VPAA
E. Team will set its own deadlines on issues brought forward by Team members.
F. Meetings will operate under the principle of consensus unless a vote is requested.
A. Provide advice regarding budget priorities and concerns as they relate to core academic issues
B. Work with university constituencies to seek out and develop potential revenue-raising opportunities
C. Serve as part of the annual budget process in an advisory capacity as needed regarding issues such as budgeting assumptions, capital spending plans, and tuition and fee increases
D. Be available for consultation with the Provost/VPAA for regular program review and to identify programs that face special challenges and should receive an out-of-cycle academic program review
E. Submit a midyear review of the Team’s activities to the Provost/VPAA annually
F. At the end of each academic year, the Team will evaluate its progress toward achievement of established goals in an annual report to the President.
Amended and Approved
Shared Governance Task Force
May 2006, March 25, 2015