UDM Logo

McNichols Buildings and Facilities

Directions to McNichols Campus
McNichols Campus Map

facilities

On 74.75 acres of land, UDM McNichols campus has a total of 24 individual buildings.  Click on the names below for a description on each building.

Briggs Building Gardella Honors House
Calihan Hall Holden Hall
Chemistry Building Loranger Building
College of Health Professions Lansing-Reilly Hall
Commerce & Finance 

Library Teaching & Learning Center

Engineering Building Quad Complex
Facility Operations Building Reno Hall
Fisher Administration Center Shiple Hall
Ford Life Sciences Student Center
   Student Fitness Center


Briggs Building

Briggs Building

Date Built:

1958

Named After:

Jane and Walter O. Briggs

Total Square Feet:

59,520

Purpose:

Home of the College of Liberal Arts and Education, UDM Radio Station, Leadership Development Institute, Writing Center, with 20 classrooms

Newest Renovation(s):

Center for Cyber Security & Intelligence Studies construction (2010); Renovation to Neil Shine Media Center (2007); Ceiling replacements (2007); Room 310 renovation (2006)

Back to Top


Calihan Hall

Calihan Hall

Date Built:

1952

Named After:

Bob Calihan, Former U of D Basketball Coach

Total Square Feet:

144,254

Purpose:

Home of Titan Athletics, seating approximately 8,000 fans

Newest Renovation(s):

Men's Basketball suite (2010); Phase I of Women's Basketball locker room renovation (2009); James K. Campbell Complex with new tennis courts, pavilion, and practice field (2008); Olympic Sports women's locker room renovation (2008); Multipurpose track and field (2007); Men's basketball locker room renovation (2007); Olympic Sports office suite renovation (2007)

Back to Top


Chemistry Building

Chemistry Building

Date Built:

1927

Total Square Feet:

49,696

Purpose:

Home of Chemistry and Biochemistry Departments, with several laboratories, three classrooms, and one lecture hall which seats 259 students

Newest Renovation(s):

Complete interior building renovation (2012); Complete window replacement (2010); Exterior building signage (2009); Roof replacement (2006)

Back to Top


College of Health Professions

CHP

Date Built:

1962/2004 (North wing/South wing)

Total Square Feet:

37,800/18,677

Purpose:

Home of the College of Health Professions, McAuley School of Nursing, with CHP administrative offices, a simulation classroom, gross anatomy lab, computer labs, nursing practice labs, exam rooms, CHP faculty offices, student lounge, distance learning room, UDM storage, the McGovern Center, and Facilities Management.

Newest Renovation(s):

Maureen A. Fay, O.P. Center renovation (2010); CHP Sim Labs renovation (2010); Exterior building signage (2009); Entire edition of the CHP building (2006)

Back to Top


Commerce & Finance

C&F

Date Built:

1927

Total Square Feet:

40,399

Purpose:

Home of the College of Business Administration, Student Advisory Board, and St. Ignatius Chapel, with a total of 10 classrooms fully equipped with ceiling-mounted projectors and multi-media podiums

Newest Renovation(s):

Exterior building signage (2009); Wall of Fame (2008), Entire building renovation (2004)

Back to Top


Engineering Building

Engineering

Date Built:

1928

Total Square Feet:

90,259/6,965 (Annex)

Purpose:

Home of the College of Engineering and Science, with multiple labs, 16 classrooms, and the Annex for research and prototype fabrication

Newest Renovation(s):

Engineering Rm. 340 renovation (2010); Exterior building signage (2009); Room 220 renovation (2007)

Back to Top


Facility Operations Building

Facility Operations

Date Built:

1930

Total Square Feet:

13,440

Purpose:

Home of Facility Operations and Housekeeping

Newest Renovation(s):

Relocation of Locksmith and Electrical Shops (2008), Facelift to Façade of building (2007); Roof replacement and window upgrade (2006)

Back to Top


Fisher Administration Center

Fisher Administration Center

Date Built:

1966

Named After:

Fisher family of General Motors fame: Charles Fisher, Sr., Alfred J. Fisher, Sr., Edward F. Fisher, William A. Fisher

Total Square Feet:

52,084

Purpose:

Home of Student Accounting, Scholarship and Financial Aid, Registrar, Admissions, Human Resources and Payroll, Information Technology Services, Accounts Payable/Purchasing, University Advancement, Marketing and Public Affairs, and Office of the President

Newest Renovation(s):

Exterior building signage (2010); Facelift to Garden and 1st levels (2007); Roof repairs (2007)

Back to Top


Ford Life Sciences

FLS

Date Built:

1967

Named After:

Former President of Ford Motor Company Fund, Benson Ford

Total Square Feet:

58,422

Purpose:

Home of the Biology department

Newest Renovation(s):

Exterior building signage (2009); Installation of statue to FLS entryway (2008); Smart classroom (2005); Room 113 renovation (2005)

Back to Top


Gardella Honors House

Gardella Honors House

Date Built:

1963

Named After:

Mr. & Mrs. George A. Gardella

Total Square Feet:

540

Purpose:

Home to the Honors Program studying space

Newest Renovation(s):

Complete renovation for study space for Honors program students (2008)

Back to Top


Holden Hall

Holden Hall

Date Built:

1946

Named After:

James Holden, former Board Member of the University Administrative Council

Total Square Feet:

36,150

Purpose:

Home of UDM Residents, with over 80 available dorm rooms

Newest Renovation(s):

Bathroom renovations (2008); Complete electrical upgrade (2007), Complete window replacement (2007); Interior facelift including lounge and hallway renovations (2005)

Back to Top


Loranger Building

Architecture

Date Built:

1927

Named After:

Warren L. Loranger, Former SOA Benefactor and Alum

Total Square Feet:

46,329

Purpose:

Home of the School of Architecture and Detroit Collaborative Design Center

Newest Renovation(s):

Renovations to Peter Peirce Interactive Learning Center (2008)

Back to Top


Lansing-Reilly Hall

Lansing-Reilly Hall

Date Built:

1927

Additional Information:

May 30, 1926, Decoration Day, the cornerstone of
Lansing-Reilly is laid.  (Decoration Day is now known
as Memorial Day).  On October 9, 1927, the new
University campus and buildings are blessed by
Bishop Michael Gallagher. 
Total cost in 1926-27: $300,000+

Named After:

Mr. Cornelius Reilly and his son, John Lansing Reilly. 

John Lansing Reilly is the son of Cornelius Reilly and Manette Reilly.  "Lansing" is a family surname, as it is the maiden name of John's mother, Manette, and his aunt, Miss Marie Lansing.

A plaque at the McNichols entrance foyer details its dedication.  Interestingly, the cornerstone lists the building officially as Reilly-Lansing Memorial Hall.

Total Square Feet:

43,340

Purpose:

Home/residence of Jesuit Community Members

Newest Renovation(s):

Updated and retouched Chapel (2008)

Back to Top


Library Teaching and Learning Center

Library Teaching and Learning Center

Date Built:

1949

Total Square Feet:

74,399

Purpose:

Home of Library, University Academic Services, and Learning Center, with over 500,000 books/media, 375 printed journals, and over 50,000 government documents

Newest Renovation(s):

Roof & Elevator upgrades (2010); Archives renovations (2010); 1st and 3rd floor complete renovations (2009); Renovation to stacks and study areas (2008), Exterior upgrade including new doors and ramp (2006)

Back to Top


Quad Complex

Quad Complex

Date Built:

1969

Total Square Feet:

9,814/26,300/26,300/26,300/27,965 (commons/north/south/east/west)

Purpose:

Home of Upper Classmen residents and SUMS Mailboxes, with four buildings of 64 dorms each and one commons building

Newest Renovation(s):

Curtain Wall and Concrete Band Replacements (2012); Waterproofing (2010); Wellness Center relocation renovation (2009); Installation of new SUMS Mailboxes (2009); Exterior upgrade including concrete work and porch upgrades (2007); Replacement shower valves (2007)

Back to Top


Reno Hall

Reno

Date Built:

1954

Named After:

Father George L Reno

Total Square Feet:

60,732

Purpose:

Home of Theatre department, CECC, counseling clinic, Education department, Language and Cultural Training, International Student Office, and Psychology Clinic

Newest Renovation(s):

ISO relocation and renovation (2010); Renovation to front porch and entrance (2009)

Back to Top


Shiple Hall

Shiple Hall

Date Built:

1960

Named After:

Fr. George Shiple, Former Chemistry Chairman

Total Square Feet:

82,660

Purpose:

Home of Residence Life, First Year Experience Residents, Grab & Go, and Young Martyrs Chapel, with approximately 180 functional dorm rooms

Newest Renovation(s):

Grab & Go Concessions Area (2011); Upgrade to elevators (2009); Installation of new windows (2008); Bathroom renovations (2007)

Back to Top


Student Center

Student Center

Date Built:

1956/1969 (Addition)

Total Square Feet:

54,994/44,597

Purpose:

Home of Public Safety, Student Life, Campus Ministry, Grounds CoffeeHaus, Computer Lab, UDM Book Store, Credit Union ATM, Dining Services, Loft, Titan Dining Room, Subway, Starbucks, Ballroom, President's Dining Room

Newest Renovation(s):

Addition of Starbucks (2013); Addition of Subway (2011); Renovation of Grounds CoffeeHaus (2010); Games area renovations (2009); President's Dining Room renovation (2008); Titan Dining Room and Loft Dining Area renovations (2007)

Back to Top