Important Testing Information for the Math Placement Test
UDM administers the COMPASS® math placement test. The results of this test are used to place you into the appropriate math class, one that is neither too hard nor too easy for your skill level.
Strong Recommendation: Prior to Orientation, reviewing the math you have had in high school and the sample questions provided on the COMPASS® website may lead to a better representation of your math skills and the most appropriate math placement.
Engineering, Science, Pre-Med, Pre-Dent, Pre-PA, and Nursing students - Note that Mathematics placement can impact your ability to register for Chemistry courses.
What is on the Math Placement Test?
The test covers numerical skills/pre-algebra, algebra, college algebra, geometry, and trigonometry. Multiple-choice items in each of the five mathematics placement areas test the following:
- basic skills - performing a sequence of basic operations
- application - applying sequences of basic operations to novel settings or in complex ways
- analysis - demonstrating conceptual understanding of principles and relationships in mathematical operations
The test is administered on a computer and is not timed. You may use any four-function, scientific, or graphing calculator, except as specified below, but you must bring your own scientific calculator. Scrap paper and a pencil will be provided to you.
Guidelines for Calculator Use
The following types of calculators are NOT permitted:
- pocket organizers, handheld or laptop computers, or cell phones
- tablet computers, electronic writing pads or pen-input devices
- models with a QWERTY (typewriter) keypad.
- models with built-in capability to simplify algebraic expressions, multiply polynomials, or factor polynomials (often called Computer Algebra Systems), for example, CFX-9970G, TI-89, and TI-92
View Sample Test Questions Online
- For numerical skills/pre-algebra, algebra, college algebra: http://www.act.org/compass/sample/pdf/numerical.pdf
- For geometry and trigonometry: http://www.act.org/compass/sample/pdf/geometry.pdf
- Compass Website: http://www.act.org/compass/sample/math.html
- Math Review: http://www.math.com or http://www.khanacademy.org