Each year the federal government selects families to verify the information submitted on the FAFSA. At least 30% of all financial aid applications are federally selected for verification. If your 2013-14 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is selected for verification, you may be required to verify one or more of the items listed below.
1. Household size, taxable household income, untaxed household income
If your application is selected for traditional verification, we will mail you the 2013-2014 Verification Worksheet or you may print one. Please complete sections A-H of the Verification Worksheet. The verification worksheet must be signed and dated by both, the student and one (1) parent, if student is dependent. Please read the verification request carefully and follow the instructions to avoid delays.
Because this form of verification includes taxable household income, we must request that the student and/or their parents provide 2012 Federal income tax information before funds may be paid to the student's account. Students/Parents may provide this information by doing one of the following - EITHER a. OR b.:
a. IRS Data Retrieval - When completing the income sections of the FAFSA, the applicant is given the option to have this data retrieved directly from the IRS. If the IRS tax retrieved information is changed on the FAFSA, the applicant will be required to submit an IRS tax transcript. However, the IRS data can be retrieved by the applicant when a correction is made to the FAFSA. If the retrieved data is not changed, then an IRS tax transcript will not be required. The IRS Tax Retrieval process will begin after February 15, 2012. The applicant must have a 2012 IRS tax return on file with the IRS.
b. If the applicants decide not to use the IRS data retrieval process and the application is chosen for verification, the applicant and the parents will be required to submit an IRS tax transcript.
2. High School Completion
Students who are selected to verify high school completion must provide either the Admissions Office or the Financial Aid Office with proof of graduation from high school or equivalent. For complete instructions, please see our High School Completion Verification Instruction Sheet .
3. Identity & Educational Purpose
Students who are selected for identity and educational purpose must visit the Financial Aid Office in person to verify their identity and sign a statement declaring that their financial aid will be used for the purpose of paying for their education. To verify identity, the student must present a government issued ID such as a driver's license or passport. For complete details, please see our 2013-14 Statement of Educational Purpose.
4. SNAP (Food Stamps) & Child Support Verification
Students who are selected for SNAP (food stamps) and Child Support will need to complete the 2013-14 SNAP & Child Support Verification Form to attest to receiving SNAP benefits in 2011 or 2012. This form will also be used for the student to confirm child support paid in 2012, if any.
TAX FILERS WITH SPECIAL CIRCUMSTANCES
The IRS Tax Retrieval may not be available for the applicant in the following circumstances:
- If the student or the student's parents have filed the FAFSA with a marital status of separated, divorced or widowed, but a joint tax return was filed for 2012 with the IRS;
- If the tax filer is married to someone other than the individual included on the 2012 joint tax return;
- If the parent or student was not married in 2012 but is married at the time the FAFSA is filed. The current spouse's income must be reported on the FAFSA;
- If the parents or the student are married but filed tax returns separately;
- If an amended tax return was filed.
Please indicate the student's I.D. number or SSN on each form.
REQUESTING AN IRS TAX TRANSCRIPT
Here are two (2) ways tax filers can request a tax transcript:
1. ONLINE Go to www.irs.gov and request a copy of your 2012 Tax Return Transcript. For more detailed instructions, please see our IRS Tax Return Transcript Request Instructions. A paper transcript will be mailed to the requestor within 5 to 10 days. THIS CANNOT BE SENT DIRECTLY TO UDM. Please sign the tax transcript and send it to UDM.
2. VIA TELEPHONE You may call the IRS at (800)908-9946 and request a 2012 TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPT.
IRS DATA AVAILABILITY
In general, tax filers can anticipate that the IRS data will be available within either:
- Two weeks if the tax return has been filed electronically with the IRS OR
- Eight weeks if the tax returns have been mailed to the IRS.
If the tax filer has changed or corrected the federal income tax return, the amended information may not be available through the IRS data retrieval process. You will be required to submit both the original IRS tax transcript as well as the amended IRS tax transcript.IRS 1040 WILL NOT AND IS NOT REQUIRED TO BE FILED
The filers must attest that an IRS 1040 has not and will not be filed and that the IRS 1040 is not required to be filed. Copies of all W-2 forms from ALL employers must be submitted to the office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.
Applicants filing a Puerto Rico tax return or a foreign tax return may not use the IRS Tax Retrieval and must send a signed copy of their 2012 tax documents.MORE INFORMATION
We may require additional documentation to complete the verification process.IMPORTANT NOTE
All Federal/State Aid listed on the TitanConnect award will remain an estimate until the verification process has been completed by the financial aid office.