UDM Logo

Physician Assistant

Sources of financial aid for students enrolled in the Physician Assistant program may include private scholarships, loans and work study.  We encourage everyone to file the FAFSA in order to maximize their federal and state aid eligibility.

Several departments on campus have openings for graduate teaching or research assistants.  Graduate assistants may be eligible to receive tuition remission.  Students who are interested in teaching or research assistant positions should contact the department they are interested in working in for information about open positions.

Many students in this program do not work while they are in school.  Because students often need additional financial aid to help with the costs of room/board, travel, and books, since they are not working, many students will choose to borrow additional loans for these other expenses.

On the financial aid award letter for Physician Assistant students, our office lists the maximum amount of Stafford and Graduate PLUS loans which students may request for each term of that award year.  The amounts of these loans are determined based on the cost of attendance for the term (which is made up of the costs of tuition, fees, and estimated book, room/board, and travel expenses), Department of Education loan limits, and other financial aid the student is receiving.

It is important for students to know that Stafford loan eligibility is limited, even for graduate students.  Graduate students may not borrow more than $138,500 in Stafford loans (this includes Stafford loans from undergraduate and graduate studies combined).  Since students enrolled in the Physician Assistant Program are enrolled in graduate studies for five years, it is very important for students to keep track of their Stafford loan borrowing and budget their use of funds accordingly. Students may view their Stafford loan history by logging into the National Student Loan Data System at www.nslds.ed.gov.  To log into the site, students need to use their FSA I.D.  for U.S. Department of Education websites (this is the same FSA I.D. students use to provide an electronic signature on the FAFSA).