UDM Logo

WHAT is the difference between Work Study & Non Work Study?

Federal Work Study (FWS)

A "Federal Work Study" student has financial need and has qualified through the Financial Aid Office for a specific Federal or State aid program. The student is granted a specific allotment of money which can be earned. Students earn money on an hourly basis until they have received their allotment, or until the end of the term, whichever comes first.

It is the responsibility of the student and the supervisor to keep track of the earnings. Once a student earns their allotment, they must stop working, or be switched to non-work study status in some instances.

Non Work-Study (NWS)

Any employment that is not from Federal or State programs is considered "Non-Work Study", and is funded totally through the individual department. These are generally hourly positions, but some may be paid through a stipend.

Included in the Non-Work Study program are Resident Assistants, Teaching Assistants, Graduate Assistants, International students, and any student who may not have a financial need for federal work-study funds.