Federal Carl Perkins Loan
How to apply
- File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Perkins Loan will be included in your aid package if you are eligible.
- Summer semester Perkins requires the FAFSA AND an UDM summer aid application.
Other requirements to receive Perkins Loan
- You must accept your loan in TitanConnect.
- You must complete a Perkins Master Promissory Note on the web, with our servicer, ECSI.
- You will receive an e-mail when your Perkins Loan Promissory Note is ready to e-sign. The email will be from the company that UDM has contracted to service our Perkins Loans, Education Computer Systems (ECSI).
- You will e-sign using the PIN provided by ECSI.
- Students enrolled in eligible programs who have high need based on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) may be awarded Perkins Loan.
- Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid.
- Funds are generally disbursed to student accounts at the beginning of each semester. Once the student account is paid in full, any remaining funds are disbursed to the student.
Annual and lifetime Perkins Loan limits
- The program limit for Perkins is $5500/year for undergraduate students, with cumulative limits of $27,500. Students who have not yet completed two years of their program of study are limited to $11,000. Program of study advancement for Perkins is the same as the Stafford loans.
- The interest rate is 5% with the interest paid by the federal government while the student is in school at least half-time and during a 9-month grace period after graduation or less than half-time enrollment.
- There are no loan origination fees.
- The standard repayment period is 10 years.
- Perkins Loan is subject to partial forgiveness/cancellation for some types of teaching/public service.
- For Perkins deferment and repayment questions contact the Student Accounting Office. You will be making your payments to UDM (or a company we contract with), since the school acts as lender for the federal government.
- When you near graduation (or drop below half-time) you will be given information on loan repayment. This is referred to as exit counseling or an exit interview.
- Federal Perkins information, including discharge/cancellation options
- View your federal loan history on NSLDS