Financial Aid Academic Policies

Federal financial aid must be earned each semester. You earn your aid by completing more than 60% of the term. If you complete less than 60% of the semester, your aid will be prorated. That means if you withdraw after 25% of the term, you can only keep 25% of the aid awarded for that term, even though you may be charged for the full term. This may result in the student owing a balance to the school and/or federal government and/or lender. For more information, please refer to the Withdrawal and Return of Title IV Funds (R2T4) Policy.

Federal financial aid applies only to classes that apply to your degree or certificate program. It does not apply to continuing education courses, English as Second Language courses, courses you take after finishing degree requirements, etc. Post degree Teacher Certification students may receive aid ONLY for classes REQUIRED BY THE STATE FOR CERTIFICATION. If courses are required by the school, but not the state, or if the courses are for personal/professional enrichment, the courses are NOT ELIGIBLE for federal financial aid.

Students may not receive aid for courses in a degree program for which they have already received a degree. For instance, if a student receives a Master’s Degree in Criminal Justice, the student is not eligible for financial aid for further courses in the Master’s in Criminal Justice program.

Students who are academically dismissed from their college are automatically ineligible for federal financial aid, as federal regulations require that the Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy be as strict as the college policy. Students who are re-admitted may receive aid if they complete a probation contract.

Once a student has completed degree requirements, whether or not the degree has been conferred, the student is no longer eligible for federal financial aid. For example, if a student has completed 126 credit hours toward a 126-credit hour degree program, but the degree cannot be conferred because the student’s Grade Point Average is less than a 2.0, the student cannot receive federal financial aid to take classes to increase the GPA. Further, any class for which the student received credit should be a class that applies to the student’s degree or certificate program. Students who have earned the number of credits required for a degree or certificate are considered to have finished the degree or certificate program, and are generally ineligible for further federal aid.