Military Friendly School ®

2015 Military Friendly Schools

As a 2015 Military Friendly School, UDM has been ranked in the top 20% of colleges, universities and trade schools in the country that are doing the most to embrace military service members, veterans and spouses as students and ensure their success on campus. Read More >>

University of Detroit Mercy is proud to participate in the following eligible programs:

  • Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty (Chapter 30)
  • Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
  • Post-9/11 GI Bill - Chapter 33 including Yellow Ribbon
  • Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance Program
    (Chapter 35)
  • Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
  • Vocational Rehabilitation - Veterans with Disabilities (Chapter 31)

The University of Detroit Mercy VA Certifying Official is Diane M. Praet, Associate Vice President and University Registrar.  She can be reached at the Office of the Registrar at 313-993-3313, or


  1. Visit the GI Bill Website at to apply online and learn more about education benefit descriptions and payment rates.  If you have already applied and would like to know the status of your application, please call 1-888-GI-BILL-1 and speak with a Veteran Benefits Counselor.
  2. Once you have been approved, you will be sent a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) letter from the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).  This will provide you with the chapter benefits for which you are eligible and the rate of pay you will receive.  You will need to provide a copy of this letter to the VA Certifying Official at the University of Detroit Mercy.
  3. If you are a current service member who would like to transfer Chapter 33 benefits to a dependent, please review the information at the following link


In order to begin using your benefits, you must apply for admission to University of Detroit Mercy and be accepted into a degree program. Please contact Betsey Konieczki at 800-635-5020 or for more information. You can apply for admissions at

To begin using your GI Bill benefits at University of Detroit Mercy, please submit the following forms to the Office of the Registrar either in person, by fax (313) 993-3317 or by email to

  1. UDM VA Education Benefit Enrollment Certification Form
  2. Certificate of Eligibility (If you have not received your COE from the VA yet, please submit the UDM Enrollment form for processing. Your COE can be submitted to us once you receive it from the VA.)
  3. Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation - bring a copy of your approved VA Form 28-1905 from your Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC) that lists the dates of your Chapter 31 eligibility and the degree program that has been authorized in your Individual Written Rehabilitation Plan (IWRP) to the Office of the Registrar.
  4. If you are an undergraduate student, send us your Joint Services Military transcript so we can evaluate and see if you can earn transfer credit towards your UDM degree.  The link to the JST request form is  A copy of your DD214 with three years of military service can also give you four elective undergraduate credits.


  1. At the end of each month: Confirm your enrollment with the VA (Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607 but not necessary for Chapter 33 recipients) - this normally requires a phone call to the Education Call Center at 1-888-442-4551 or 1-800-827-1000 or go to and Click on Verify Attendance.
  2. Each Semester: Diane Praet, Associate VP & University Registrar, will certify your continued enrollment.  If you do not wish to use your VA benefits for that semester, please contact her by email at before you register for that semester.

PLEASE NOTE: If you withdraw from one or more of your classes it could affect your eligibility for VA Benefits. It is your responsibility to notify the VA Certifying Official if you add/drop any courses during the semester.