Academic Policies and Procedures

Students are responsible and accountable for knowledge of the requirements, procedures and regulations set forth in the catalog. Advisors, counselors, faculty and administrative staff may assist students by explaining requirements and procedures in individual instances. However, the ultimate responsibility for compliance with procedures and requirements rests with the student.

Open All | Close All


    Academic Advising

    Role of the Academic Advisor

    The academic advisor is a central figure in the development of the student’s academic program at Detroit Mercy. Students must consult with and obtain the approval of an academic advisor in the development of their schedules for each term, when changing courses (adding or dropping), for clarification of academic policies and procedures and when contemplating changes in their major program or curriculum.

    Advisor Assignment

    Advisors are drawn from the full-time faculty, administrative personnel in the offices of the college or school dean, and the professional staff of academic support service programs. First year full-time students are assigned an academic advisor as part of the orientation program. Advisors have been designated for special admission students, undecided students, and returning students. These advisors ordinarily work with students for one or two terms. When the student declares and is accepted into a major, a new advisor in that discipline will usually be assigned. A good advising relationship requires that both the student and the advisor be comfortable with each other. Students who are uncomfortable or dissatisfied with their advising relationship may request a change of advisor.


    Student Concerns

    Students should consult with the academic advisor when experiencing concerns at Detroit Mercy.  The academic advisor is well-equipped to refer to the most appropriate campus resource.  Students experiencing personal difficulties are encouraged to utilize available resources that include the Wellness Center/Personal Counseling, the Student Affairs Office, University Ministry, and the Psychology Clinic.  Trained staff in these offices may provide direct assistance to the students or refer to more specialized assistance.  Students may refer other students, by completing the Student Care and Concern Reporting Form, should a concern arise such as witnessing a struggle with academic, personal, or emotional difficulties or who may be exhibiting concerning behavior.  Additional information can be found   

    Classification of Students

    Class Standing

    Undergraduate students are classified based upon the number of credit hours earned. Freshmen are those students who have earned up to 29.9 credit hours. Sophomores are those students who have earned between 30 and 59.9 credit hours. Juniors are those undergraduates who have 60 through 89.9 earned hours. Seniors are those students with 90 or more earned credit hours. In some colleges or schools, class standing may be conditioned on the completion of certain course requirements or successful progress through the curriculum in addition to the earned hour requirement, but the overall classification is determined by earned credits and not specific courses completed.

    Full-Time Student

    To be classified as a full-time student, one must register for a minimum of 12 credit hours per term. Students employed on a cooperative training assignment are considered full-time students during the period in which they are employed full time. Students on parallel (half-time) cooperative training assignments must be registered for a minimum of six credit hours in addition to their training assignment to be classified as full-time students. Full-time students who drop below 12 hours during a semester may jeopardize their financial aid, athletic eligibility or international student status. See Satisfactory Academic Progress. There are exceptions made for those students who are enrolled in ALCP class(es) along with academic courses.

    Part-Time Student

    Students are classified as part-time when they register for up to 11.9 credit hours per semester. Undergraduate students are considered half-time for enrollment and financial aid purposes when they enroll in at least six credit hours.


    Undergraduate Grading System

    The following grades are used in reporting student academic performance:

    Grading System
    Grade Quality Points Description
    A 4.0 Superior
    A- 3.7  
    B+ 3.3  
    B 3.0 Good
    B- 2.7  
    C+ 2.3  
    C 2.0 Average
    C- (1) 1.7  
    D+ (1) 1.3  
    D (1) 1.0 Poor
    F 0.0 Failing
    P (2)   Passing
    I (3)   Incomplete
    I/F (3) 0.0 Incomplete/Failing


    WF (4) 0.00

    Withdraw Failure

    AUD (5)   Audit
    XF (6) 0.0 Failure to Withdraw
    1. In some programs a grade of C-, D+ or D in a required or prerequisite course may not earn credit toward graduation.
    2. The grade of P earns credit but is not counted in the calculation of the Quality Point Average
    3. The grade of I is temporary, see the section on Incomplete. An I grade changed to an F is recorded as an I/F.
    4. The grade of WF may be assigned by the University when a student is failing and there is an administrative decision to withdraw a student due to circumstance.  The grade of WF counts as a F in the GPA.
    5. An AUD earns no credit and is not included in the calculation of the GPA
    6. An XF is assigned when a student never attends and fails to withdraw from a course. An XF is calculated as an F in the GPA.

    Grade Reporting

    A report of the student's academic progress and performance is calculated at the end of each term and added to the official transcript after all final University grades are issued. This information indicates the student's progress and performance for the term and a cumulative summary of the student's academic standing. Copies can be printed from the Self-Service pages in  Midterm grades are also issued to undergraduate students for most courses and can be viewed in Self-Service - Student. Midterm grades are not part of a student's permanent record. The University does not mail midterm or final grades. Access to your grades by third parties (such as parents or employers) can be set up by the student through their Self-Service account and is called Proxy Access.



    The permanent, official record of a student's academic performance and progress is maintained by the Office of the Registrar. A transcript contains all essential academic data such as: dates of attendance, courses taken, credits and grades awarded, academic standing, degrees and degree honors received. It may also contain information related to the student's status at the institution.

    A transcript is a complete and unabridged copy of all academic work attempted while matriculated at Detroit Mercy with the exception of transfer credit taken elsewhere.  Transfer and test credits accepted toward a Detroit Mercy degree are recorded on the academic record; however grades earned are not calculated into the Detroit Mercy GPA.  

     Course and grade information contained on the transcript is released only upon written consent from the student, as required by the federal Educational Family and Privacy Act of 1974.

    A student's academic record is sealed when his or her degree is posted. With the exception of errors, omissions, or documented discrepancies, changes to a student's major, minor, concentration, or academic honors, or the removal and/or change of incompletes, grades, or other components of the academic record are not permitted. A permanent, official record of a student's academic performance and progress is maintained by the Office of the Registrar.

    Each time a transcript is requested students who pursue undergraduate, graduate and/or professional level coursework the whole transcript is produced.

    Most students who have attended since 1988 and have an active username and password can view their academic history online in Self-Service at  Transcripts are $6.00 and higher per copy and can be ordered in the following ways:

    ONLINE at the National Student Clearinghouse, using a credit card. University of Detroit Mercy has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide transcript ordering via the web. There is an additional $2.75 service charge per transcript for using this ordering service. This service is available to current students and alumni 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The site will walk you through placing your order, including delivery options and fees. You can order as many transcripts as you like in a single session. The consent to release form must be returned to NSC before orders are processed and can be signed online. Order updates will be emailed to you. You can also check order status or history online. Your credit card will only be charged after your order has been completed. Orders that cannot be processed due to financial holds will be held for 30 days and then cancelled. If you need help or have questions about the Clearinghouse's transcript ordering service, contact 703-742-7791 or

    Electronic copies of transcripts are available as an option through the National Student Clearinghouse order site for an additional fee. Electronic copies are normally sent shortly the same day the transcript order is placed, as long as their are no holds on the student record. Only those students who have attended since 1988 have an electronic transcript and can order an online transcript be sent. Students who attended University of Detroit or Mercy College of Detroit do not have an electronic transcript. Attempting to order one may delay the transcript order because we will need to contact you regarding your order and have you place a new order with physical mailing address. 

    BY MAIL by sending us a copy of our transcript request form (available on our website) or a handwritten or typed request to the Office of the Registrar. In order to comply with federal regulations the handwritten or typed request must be signed. It needs to include the following: Name you attended under if different from your current name, Social Security Number or student ID number, current address, birth date, daytime telephone number, institution attended (U of D, Mercy College or Detroit Mercy), year(s) attended or graduated, and complete address of where you would like the transcript sent if different from your home address. Please include the name of the institution, company or business as well as department, if this applies to your order. Check or money order made payable to University of Detroit Mercy--$6.00 for each copy that you order. Mail the signed transcript request along with payment to: Office of the Registrar, University of Detroit Mercy, 4001 W. McNichols Road Detroit, MI 48221-3038

    BY FAX by faxing a signed request that contains the information listed in the BY MAIL option above to 313-993-3317. Fax orders must be charged to a credit card. We need the credit card number, expiration date, security code on the card and zip code of the card holder.  The request can be faxed but we don't fax transcripts.

    Additional Information on Transcript Orders: Transcripts sent to you will be marked "Issued to Student".  Your request will normally be processed within two business days and sent via U.S. Mail. If you require faster delivery, we can send your transcript via Express UPS service after the two-day processing time. Fees for express delivery start at $30.00 for addresses in Michigan and go all the way up to $95.00 for international addresses. Please specify that you are requesting UPS express delivery. Please note that UPS delivery to P.O. boxes may experience delay. The Registrar is unable to release transcripts to individuals who have outstanding financial obligations to the University. Questions regarding financial obligations should be directed to the Student Accounting Office at 313-993-1420. No transcripts are mailed on days that the University is closed for holidays, including MLK Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Juneteenth, July 4th, Thanksgiving and the break from Christmas Eve through New Year's Day. Please plan accordingly.


    Pass-Fail Grading

    Detroit Mercy permits students to enroll in a limited number of courses on a pass-fail basis. This opportunity is provided to encourage students to explore challenging elective courses they might not otherwise select. The final grade for a course taken pass-fail may be P or F. Course grades equal to A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, and D are considered a P (pass). Hours earned with a grade of P count toward graduation, but a P does not enter into the calculation of the student's quality point average. A final grade of F is treated in the same manner as courses that are not taken pass-fail and counts in the GPA. All pass-fail courses are included in attempted hours.

    Election of the pass-fail option requires the approval of the student's academic advisor or dean. The option is limited to elective courses and does not apply to required major, minor or core curriculum courses. Other requirements and restrictions regarding the use of the pass-fail option will be determined by the college/school in which the student's major resides. Pass-fail election forms are available from the dean of the student's college/school and must be filed with the registrar. The deadline to take a class as pass-fail is during the first week of the semester and coincides with the last day to add or drop a class at 100 percent refund. The date is published in the Academic Calendar. No pass-fail elections may be accepted after the deadline nor may the election be withdrawn after submission to the Registrar.


    Incomplete Grade

    It is the student's responsibility to initiate the request for a grade of incomplete from the instructor. A petition for a grade of "I" is required and may be approved or disapproved at the discretion of the instructor. This grade is only appropriate at the end of the term when the majority of the coursework is completed but for serious reason the student is unable to complete the remaining course requirements. "I" grades are not issued when the student stops attending or participating in the class. If the instructor feels the awarding of an "I" is justified, he/she fills out an Incomplete Grade Petition reflecting the individual work to be completed and the due dates of that work. Both student and instructor sign the form, which is submitted to the instructor's dean's office. If the student does not complete the required work eight weeks after the end of the semester, the "I" grade is automatically changed to an "I/F".

    The deadline for completing an "I" grade may be extended at the discretion of the instructor of the course, the dean of the college in which the course was taught, and the dean of the student's college/school not to exceed one year from the time the "I" grade was issued. Exceptions to the year deadline can only be granted by the provost/vice president for Academic Affairs based on the recommendation by the appropriate dean(s).

    In cases of pregnancy or childbirth, the student will be afforded the time to complete the work consistent with Title IX federal regulations.



    Students who wish to audit a class must register for the course on a audit basis. There is no grade or credit earned for the course but it does appear on the student's official transcript as an audit. Courses taken on an audit basis do not meet degree requirements. Normal tuition and fees apply for those who wish to audit a course unless they are using the Alumni Audit Policy described in the next section. Students who register for credit and wish to change to audit must make the change by the end of the 100 percent add/drop period for that semester. Students who enroll on an audit basis cannot change to earn credit for that course. Students who take a course on an audit basis can't take the same class at a later date for credit. Attendance is required in order to successfully audit a course. Failure to attend audited classes may result in an administrative withdrawal from the class or receive a grade of "F" or "XF".


    Alumni Audit

    The University permits alumni who have graduated from University of Detroit Mercy, Mercy College of Detroit, and University of Detroit to take classes on an audit basis after they have graduated. The intent of this policy is to allow alumni to maintain professional competence after they have completed their degree at Detroit Mercy. Courses taken under the Alumni Audit Policy can be taken without applying to a degree program. After you apply for readmission to audit classes, you will have an unclassified student status. Audited courses do not count toward any degree requirements.  Courses under this policy are limited to the level of the degree program that the alumnus has earned. 

    These classes may be tuition-free under the following conditions:

    1. Alumni are limited to two audited classes per semester. There is no lifetime limit to the number of courses that can be audited.
    2. All course prerequisites need to be met before taking a class that has prerequisites.
    3. Audits can be taken in courses at or below the level of the degree earned at the undergraduate level. Courses at the undergraduate level are restricted to those courses that are part of the earned degree program or a closely related program. The University, through the respective Dean's Office, reserves the right to determine which courses can be audited by alumni on a tuition-free basis.
    4. Alumni may be required to wait until the first week of classes to enroll to determine if there are available seats in the course. No late registration charge will be assessed for this situation.
    5. This audit policy covers tuition only. All other fees are paid by the alumnus including any applicable late payment fees, any specific course fees and any service charges that may accrue.
    6. Alumni who are registered on an audit basis are expected to attend classes in conformance with the course syllabus in order for the audit to appear on their official transcript record.

    Students who do not attend class may be dropped by the University for non-attendance. If a class is full, alumni can be bumped to accommodate a tuition-paying student unless the alumnus wants to remain in the class and pay the appropriate tuition on an audit or credit basis. The tuition for an audited course is the same as tuition for a credit course.


    Attendance Policy

    Detroit Mercy does not have a University-wide policy on mandatory attendance and participation in classes. However, regular and punctual attendance is expected in all classes. Students are responsible for work missed because of late registration or for any other reason.

    Faculty may have specific attendance policies in their individual course sections, which is detailed in their course syllabus. Faculty may recommend that a student withdraw from class when absence prevents the student from achieving the objectives of the course. The University has the right to administratively withdraw a student for non-attendance.

    The awarding and receipt of any financial aid may be negatively impacted by this non-attendance. If a recipient of Title IV funds withdraws or stops attending courses (including academic dismissal or expulsion) after beginning attendance for any reason, he/she may no longer be eligible for the full amount of Title IV funds. This may result in debt owed to the University by the student.


    Grade Point Average

    The grade point average (GPA), sometimes referred to as "quality point average (QPA)," is used to describe the general level of a student's academic performance at Detroit Mercy. Grade points are assigned for each grade. The number of grade points earned in a particular course is determined by multiplying the grade points assigned to the grade given, by the number of credit hours for the course. For example, a grade of C in a three credit course earns 6 grade points (2 x 3 = 6).

    A grade point average is calculated by dividing the sum of the grade points earned by the number of credit hours attempted. Grades of W, I, and P do not affect a student's GPA. Grades earned at other institutions and transferred to Detroit Mercy are not used in the calculation of the GPA unless they are earned through a contractual or consortium arrangement that specifies the grades will transfer. Students considering a transfer within Detroit Mercy should consult with the dean of the college to which they plan to enter to determine the courses that will or will not transfer. Final grade information is available in the student portal at the end of each term and indicates both the student's cumulative GPA (based upon all courses attempted and grade points earned) and the GPA achieved for each particular term. Grade reports are not mailed to students. They only appear in My Portal. 


    Repeating Courses

    A student may register for a course in which he/she has already received a low passing grade or an F. Before repeating a course, consult with your academic advisor. Individual colleges and schools may have stricter policies regarding repeated courses. When an undergraduate student repeats a course, the grade earned in the repeated course replaces, in the calculation of the quality point average, the grade earned in the previous attempt at the course. BOTH the initial grade/course and the repeated grade/course continue to appear on the transcript as an accurate representation of academic history. Credit hours toward graduation are earned only on the basis of the grade in the last registration.

    Courses that are repeated after a Detroit Mercy degree has been awarded, typically to improve the cumulative GPA, are not eligible for the repeated course option. The grades for both the original and repeated course will count in the GPA but credit is only earned as part of the original bachelor's degree and no credit is earned for the repeat after the degree was awarded.

    There are no limits academically on the number of courses that are repeated unless the college/school the student is enrolled in has limits, but there may be financial aid restrictions on repeating courses when a passing grade has already been earned.


    Grade Grievances

    In some instances a student may believe that the final grade received in a particular course is unjustified. In such cases the student may choose to appeal the grade received. Each college or school has published written grievance procedures that must be followed. A copy of this procedure should be obtained from the dean of the college offering the course. In general, students are advised to consult with the instructor concerned prior to beginning the appeals process. All appeals should be filed in a timely manner, normally within 30 days after the final grade is issued. The decision of the college/school dean is final. All grade appeals must be finalized before a degree can be conferred. Appeals to the provost and vice president for Academic Affairs will be considered only on procedural grounds.


    Transfer Credit

    After admission, transcripts are reviewed within the Office of the Registrar, by the Transfer Credit/Degree Audit team ( or (313) 993-1940). Transcripts are evaluated and credit is granted for work satisfactorily completed at another regionally-accredited institution if the work is equivalent in character and content to Detroit Mercy courses. Courses with a grade of C (2.0) or better, which are similar to those taught at Detroit Mercy, will be considered for transfer. Grades of P, S, etc. may be considered on a case-by-case basis for transfer if these are only granted (as formally documented by the transfer institution's grading system) for C (2.0) level work or higher. Remedial or developmental courses or those below 100/1000 level will not transfer.

    Detroit Mercy accepts a maximum of 63 semester hours of credit from a community college or 90-96 semester hours from a four-year institution. Students must complete at least 30 credits in residence at University of Detroit Mercy towards their bachelor degree, which may impact the number of transfer credits applicable to a specific degree program due to the residency requirement.  In some cases, articulation agreements may specifically permit a limited number of credits in excess of the 63-credit maximum. See the University of Detroit Mercy website for the current Articulation Agreement Summary.

    The University accepts the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA). Students may complete the MTA as part of an associate degree or as a stand-alone package at Michigan community colleges. Students should consult their community college counselor to learn how to satisfy the MTA. Knowledge Areas of Detroit Mercy's Core Curriculum will be waived for students who have official transcripts that confirm the completion of the MTA. Refer to the Core Curriculum section of the catalog to learn more about the various areas of Detroit Mercy's Core Curriculum requirements.  


    Transfer Credit System

    The online undergraduate Transfer Credit System indicates the way courses transfer to University of Detroit Mercy. This information is constantly being updated and is not an official evaluation of transfer credit. If you do not see the course(s) you have taken at a prior institution or if your prior institution is not listed, please contact the Transfer Credit/Degree Audit team at 313-993-1940 or for assistance in having those credits reviewed.  Visit the Office of the Registrar webpage to gain access to the Transfer Credit System.


    General Elective Transfer Credit

    Courses which do not have exact equivalence at Detroit Mercy may transfer in as general elective credit.

    Courses that are different in content than those taught at Detroit Mercy will not transfer (for example, but not limited to, applied mathematics, applied technology, automotive, business math, health technical areas, and trade skills). No transfer credit will be granted for courses designated as Cooperative Education, Directed Study, Independent Study, or Internship.

    While physical education courses are not taught at Detroit Mercy, they will be considered for transfer credit within these two categories for transfer consideration: PE activity and PE theory. A student may transfer a maximum of six credits of PE activity courses. All PE theory courses are considered for transfer.  


    Advanced Placement (AP) Program

    The Advanced Placement (AP) Program of the College Board enables students who have pursued college-level studies in high school to receive college credits based on their performance on the AP examinations. Contact the Transfer Team at 313-993-1940 or for more information.

    A maximum of 30 credits may be earned through a combination of AP, IB, CLEP, and DSST examinations. A student may not receive credits for the same course from more than one source.

    Below is a list of AP Exam subject areas, the corresponding Detroit Mercy courses (where they exist), scores needed for credit, and the number of credits awarded. Where a specific Detroit Mercy course is not listed, AP scores generate elective credit. Depending upon a student's program, the credits awarded from AP might fulfill specific degree requirements.

    Advanced Placement Transfer Guide


    International Baccalaureate (IB) Program

    The International Baccalaureate (IB) Organization's Diploma Program enables students who have pursued college-level studies in high school to receive college credit based on their performance on IB examinations. Students are expected to take IB courses from a secondary educational institution authorized by the International Baccalaureate Organization. Students do not need to complete the International Baccalaureate Diploma to receive credit.

    A maximum of 30 credits may be earned through a combination of AP, IB, CLEP, and DSST examinations. A student may not receive credits for the same course from more than one source.

    Below is a list of subject areas for IB exams with specific information about Detroit Mercy course equivalencies (where they exist), scores needed for credit, and the number of credits awarded. Where a specific Detroit Mercy course is not listed, IB scores generate elective credit. Depending upon a student's program, the credits awarded from IB might fulfill specific degree requirements. HL subjects not listed can be reviewed for potential credit.

    International Baccalaureate (IB) Transfer Guide


    Experiential Learning Options

    In order to effectively serve the learning needs of adult students who have acquired significant college-level knowledge outside of the traditional classroom, the University has established a set of guidelines to be used in awarding experiential learning credit which can be applied toward degree requirements.

    Experiential learning options identify and verify specific learning outcomes that are judged to be comparable to the learning outcomes achieved in the discipline awarding the credit for learning. It should be understood that although professional work experience is considered valuable, University credit can only be awarded for specific learning acquired through experience and not for the experience alone. Examples of experiential learning options are listed below (many have a fee associated with them).


    College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

    CLEP is a national testing program used by universities to give students an opportunity to earn credit for knowledge gained outside the traditional college classroom. There are over 2,000 CLEP test centers with different testing schedules. When you complete a CLEP test and achieve the required American Council on Education (ACE) recommended score, you are granted the credit equivalent to that earned in a regular college course.  Exams typically take 90-120 minutes to complete depending on the subject. Go to for more information and to find a testing center near you. Have your official score report sent directly to University of Detroit Mercy.

    A maximum of 30 credits may be earned through a combination of AP, IB, CLEP, and DSST examinations. A student may not receive credits for the same course from more than one source.

    CLEP Transfer Guide


    DSST Examination Program

    The DSST program (formerly Dantes) offers credit-by-examination to students who can demonstrate knowledge of subjects commonly taught in introductory college courses. When you complete a DSST test and achieve the required American Council on Education (ACE) recommended PERCENTILE score, you will be granted the credits equivalent to those earned in a regular college course. DSST is a timed, multiple-choice test taken online at an official testing center. Go to for more information and to find a testing center near you. Have your official score report sent directly to University of Detroit Mercy.

    A maximum of 30 credits may be earned through a combination of AP, IB, CLEP, and DSST examinations. A student may not receive credits for the same course from more than one source.

    DSST Transfer Guide


    Military Transcript Evaluation

    Students who have served in the military should have an official military transcript sent to Detroit Mercy for evaluation. A military transcript may be a Joint Services Transcript (JST), Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) transcript, or ACE transcript. Credits awarded are typically used as elective credit towards degree requirements.


    Military Service Credit

    Elective credits will be awarded to veterans for military service documented by a DD214 with Honorable Discharge (one credit for every six months of service; maximum of four credits for two or more years of service).


    Discipline-Generated Examinations

    A student may request a discipline-generated examination to assess their college-level competency of a specific discipline. The approval of the college/school Dean's Office is needed. If approved, successful completion of the examination is determined by the discipline faculty. Discipline-generated examinations generally may not be requested for any subject that is offered through other standardized testing programs, such as CLEP (see section above for more information). The examination fee of $200/credit (as of 2021-2022) must be paid before administration of the examination and is billed regardless of the outcome of the exam.


    Other Experiential Learning Options

    Other experiential learning options may include, but are not limited to:

    • Cooperative Education (Co-op) Portfolio Credit - see the Center for Career and Professional Development section of this catalog or contact the specific college/school co-op coordinator for further details on earning credit for significant work experience. The Co-op Portfolio fees are $250 per credit.
    • Portfolio Development - Detroit Mercy may award a limited number of credits through the assessment of a portfolio verifying specific learning outcomes. Students must begin the portfolio process within their first two semesters at Detroit Mercy. Students interested in earning credit through portfolio development should contact their Dean's Office. The portfolio assessment fee is $250 per credit.
    • Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Certification - five credits may be awarded for EMT state licensure.
    • Michigan Department of Corrections - six credits may be awarded for completion of training.
    • National League of Nursing (NLN) Examinations - the McAuley School of Nursing (MSON) offers NLN exams for RNs for credit in two areas: Anatomy & Physiology and Microbiology; call 313-993-2445 for more information.
    • Police Academy Completion - up to six credits may be awarded for documented completion of Police Academy training.
    • Credit may be granted from Cambridge International and Pearson Edexcel International exam scores upon review.  

    Academic Standards

    The academic deans monitor the records of students enrolled in the colleges/schools to assure that reasonable progress is being made toward the student’s educational objectives. Student records are reviewed at the end of each semester. The review may encompass the student’s cumulative, major and term grade point average, the student’s progress in the courses required by his/her curriculum, the number of credits for which the student registered and actually completed, and any patterns of repeated withdrawals or incomplete work. Based upon this review and regardless of formal notice, the dean may place the student on the Dean’s List (for excellence), note that the student is in Good Standing, place the student on academic probation, give him/her an academic warning or dismiss the student from the college/school for poor scholarship. Any changes to final grades awarded may result in changes to academic standing.


    Dean's List

    Dean’s List recognition is granted to those students who achieve a level of academic excellence in a particular term. Undergraduate students who earn a minimum of 12 credit hours with a quality point average of 3.5 or better in a term are on the Dean’s List for that term. Students registered as part-time must meet the same GPA requirements for a minimum of six earned hours.


    Academic Warning

    Students will be warned whenever the semester GPA falls below 2.0. Such warning enables students to take early corrective action concerning their academic performance. Academic warning is noted on the official transcript.


    Academic Probation

    Students are placed on academic probation when it appears that their performance places their academic objectives in jeopardy. Students will be automatically placed on academic probation when the cumulative GPA falls below 2.0. Individual programs, colleges, or schools may establish additional criteria for placing a student on probation. A student who fails to raise the cumulative average to at least 2.0, or satisfy the additional program/school criteria in the following term is subject to academic dismissal for poor scholarship. Academic probation is noted on the official transcript.

    When a student has been placed on academic probation, a dean may, at his/her discretion, establish specific requirements or conditions that the student must meet. The dean may require the student to enroll in particular courses, repeat courses, establish minimum or maximum number of credit hours to be attempted or earned, require a specific minimum GPA for the next term, require the student to consult a counselor or tutor, or engage in supervised study, etc. Failure to meet such conditions, when established, may lead to academic dismissal. Undergraduates who are on academic probation have the privilege of applying for admission to another college/school within the University for the next semester they consecutively attend. If accepted by the college/school, the student will retain the “academic probation” status until an evaluation of his/her record at the end of that semester indicates that a change in status is appropriate.


    Academic Dismissal

    Students may be dismissed from the college/school in which they are enrolled as a result of poor academic performance. Students are automatically subject to dismissal the second consecutive term the cumulative average falls below 2.0. Dismissal may occur when a student has not achieved a 2.0 cumulative quality point average in the term following one in which he/she was placed on probation, when terms or conditions established for probation have not been met, or when the academic record reflects poor performance.

    Students who wish to appeal an academic dismissal should contact the dean’s office immediately upon their receipt of notice that they have been dismissed. If first contact is made by telephone or in person, it should be immediately followed by a written statement of their intent to appeal the dismissal. Each college or school has specific procedures which govern appeals of an academic dismissal. These procedures will be explained to the student when requested. In general, students dismissed for poor scholarship will not be considered for readmission until after the lapse of at least one term. Academic dismissal for poor scholarship is entered upon the student’s permanent academic record.


    Satisfactory Academic Progress

    Students receiving financial aid are expected to meet specific academic requirements. See the “Satisfactory Academic Progress” section under Financial Aid.


    Academic Integrity

    As members of an academic community engaged in the pursuit of truth and with a special concern for values, students must conform to a high standard of honesty and integrity in their academic work. Instances where academic misconduct occur include, but are not limited to, falsification or misrepresentation of material used in the admission process, presenting the work of others as one's own, theft, plagiarism and cheating. These actions pose a threat to the academic integrity of the University and its mission and will be treated accordingly. Academic misconduct is subject to disciplinary sanctions. These sanctions include, but are not limited to, reprimand, probation, suspension and dismissal. Students are required to familiarize themselves with the specific protocols of their school or college, available in each respective Dean's Office or Academic Policy Handbook.


    Registering for Classes/Calendar/Credit Hour Definition

    The University operates on a semester basis. Within each semester, there are a number of shorter duration courses that are offered. These dates will be posted in the schedule of classes. The start and end dates of a course impact the dates to register, drop, and withdraw from a course as well as the tuition refund policy. Specific and current information on the policies, procedures, dates and deadlines governing class registration is provided in the online Schedule of Classes and Office of the Registrar website prior to each term. The Schedule of Classes is available on the University's website at   Students can view the Schedule of Classes through Self-Service at

    The U.S. Department of Education posted new regulations, effective July 1, 2011, that define a credit hour; instruct colleges and universities to establish policies and procedures for assuring conformity to the new definition for purposes of determining eligibility for federal program funding; and instruct the institutions' accrediting agencies to conduct an effective review and evaluation of the reliability and accuracy of the institution's assignment of credit hours.

    University of Detroit Mercy subscribes to these regulations that define a credit hour as an amount of work represented in intended learning outcomes and verified by evidence of student achievement that as an institutionally established equivalency that reasonably approximates not less than:

    1. One hour of classroom of direct faculty instruction and a minimum of two hours out of class student work each week for approximately 15 weeks (including exam week) for one semester hour of credit; or
    2. At least an equivalent amount of work for other activities over a different period of timework as required in this definition, or the equivalent amount of work for other academic activities as established by the University including, but not limited to, internships, directed studies, practica, studio/work performance, and other work leading to the award of credit hours.


    Registration begins when students meet with their academic advisors to select the courses they wish to take the following term. Once the faculty advisor has released the student to register, then the process is completed by registering online through Self-Service at You do not have to make a tuition payment at the time of registration unless you are registering on the last day before classes begin or after classes have already started. There is no charge associated with early registration. Tuition and fee information is available in this catalog or on our website. It is strongly advised that students view their student account online. Invoices are only available through Self-Service at Payment or payment arrangements are required before classes begin. Late fees are assessed beginning on the first day of the semester for late registration.


    Changes in Registration

    Registered students may change course registration in Self-Service through through the first week of classes when the semester begins. After the first week of classes online add/drops are no longer an option and a paper Change of Registration is required. Forms are available online, in the Registrar's Office or in the college/school offices. These forms require appropriate signatures. To be official, completed Change of Registration forms must be filed with the Office of the Registrar within 24 hours of obtaining the signatures. Signed forms can be faxed to 313-993-3317 or scanned and emailed to The last date to add or drop a course without a "W" is listed online in the Schedule of Classes each semester within each course section and coincides with the last day to drop at 100 percent.  Different parts of term courses have different dates associated with the last day to drop without a "W"/last day to drop at 100 percent.

    Students should be aware that any change that affects a student's status as full- or part-time may have an impact on his/her financial obligations, financial aid, athletic eligibility and/or visa status. Important dates pertaining to all changes in registration are listed in each term's Schedule of Classes on the University website.



    Students may drop a course in their Self-Service account at until the end of the 100 percent drop period. For full semester courses, this is the first week of classes. After 100 percent add/drop week, a signed “Change of Registration” form is required. The form needs to be processed by the Office of the Registrar. If a course is dropped during the 100 percent refund period, no record of enrollment for the individual course will appear on the student’s transcript. Students who withdraw after the 100 percent drop period through 75 percent of the course taking place will receive a "W" as a final grade for each course dropped. The last day to withdraw for each course section is listed in the Schedule of Classes within each course section. Drops are able to be processed online in My Portal through the 100 percent drop period. Drops after the 100 percent must be done on paper with your advisor and college/school Dean's Office signature. Instructor signature is not required for a drop. You can either get the form from the University's Registrar's Office website in their Forms link, or it can be obtained in your Dean's Office or in the Office of the Registrar.

    The course remains on the student's grade report and transcript with a W. The course will be counted in hours attempted but not in the GPA calculation. Students may not withdraw during the last 25 percent of the course unless they have received approval for late withdrawal from their dean for extenuating circumstances. No withdrawal may be processed after the end of the class.

    An “unofficial withdrawal” (Change of Registration form not filed and student stops attending class) is not recognized and will result in the assignment of a permanent grade of XF. An XF counts as a failure in the GPA and all tuition and fees apply. If a student is unable to complete any of his/her classes and is physically unable to come to campus to file the Change of Registration, a letter or email to this effect should be sent or faxed by the student to his/her dean prior to the withdrawal deadline.


    Administrative (Forced) Withdrawal

    In some cases a “Change of Registration” or Administrative Withdrawal may be initiated by the University to remove a student from a class (or classes) in which he/she is registered. This action may be taken when a student has failed to follow the procedures, regulations or requirements of the University, school or college, or when the student has gained registration in a particular class or classes by misrepresentation. This can also occur when a student fails to attend classes and doesn't withdraw on his/her own. The University may also remove a student from online course(s) when the student is a resident of a state from which the University does not have authorization to offer online programs to citizens of that state. When such actions are taken, the course instructor and the student are notified.


    Repeated Withdrawal

    Students who repeatedly withdraw from all of their classes may be denied permission to register for future semesters. Repeated withdrawals in two successive semesters or in any three non-consecutive semesters will result in a written notification and registration hold unless the withdrawals are a result of circumstances beyond the student’s control and have been brought to the attention of his/her college office.



    The University participates in a program where students and programs are exchanged with the other members of the Detroit Area Catholic Higher Education Consortium, which include Madonna University and Sacred Heart Seminary. Under the program, full-time and part-time undergraduate students in good standing and enrolled in any member institution may take undergraduate courses at other consortium schools at their home institution tuition rates.

    Consortium Eligibility

    To be eligible, a full-time student must be enrolled at the home school and enroll for a combined total of 12 or more credit hours at both schools and must pay at least the minimum full-time tuition of the home institution. A part-time student must register for a minimum of six credit hours, at least three of which must be at the home institution.

    Registration Procedure

    Approval for enrolling in courses at another consortium institution must be obtained from the college office. The authorization form is prepared by the student and signed by the college office. The academic dean has the authority to limit the total number of courses a student may take at other consortium institutions, both overall and during a specific term or semester. Summer courses are available.


    • A maximum of 12 credit hours of courses from other consortium institutions may be taken during a student's entire undergraduate program.
    • Normally, authorization will not be given to take a course at another consortium institution if an identical or clearly comparable course will be concurrently offered at Detroit Mercy.
    • Graduate level courses are not included in this program. Post-degree students may participate provided that they enroll for undergraduate courses.
    • No consortium credits are allowed during the last 30 hours of any student's program (except for declared Theatre and Architecture majors).

    Undergraduate Senior Privilege

    Detroit Mercy undergraduate seniors with at least a 3.25 GPA or who have been accepted to a Detroit Mercy master's program may be permitted to take a limited number (nine credits) of graduate (5000-level or above) courses to be used toward a graduate degree. Such courses cannot be counted for credit towards their undergraduate degree and would appear only on a graduate transcript. The student must have earned senior status (at least 90 earned hours), be registered as a full time undergraduate student in at least 12 undergraduate credits, obtain the approval of the instructor, director of the graduate program offering the courses to be taken, as well as signatures of the advisor and Dean's Office. Once approved, override approval for the course(s) will be entered in the system by the Dean's office and the student should register for the course online. Undergraduate students taking graduate course(s) under senior privilege must be enrolled in at least 12 credits at the undergraduate level in courses that meets their bachelor degree requirements during the semester they wish to use senior privilege. 

    Permission to enroll in graduate courses under senior privilege does not imply acceptance into a graduate program. Students enrolled through senior privilege must follow the procedures and meet the established application requirements in order to continue their graduate study. Post-degree and guest students do not qualify for senior privilege.

    Students who are enrolled in accelerated programs (bachelor/master's or bachelor/graduate certificate) can take graduate level courses when approved by their college/school as part of the accelerated curriculum plan for their degrees. This can occur during the junior year depending on the program. Students in accelerated programs must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours of undergraduate coursework that meets their bachelor degreee requirements when adding graduate level courses during their undergraduate program. 


    Transferring to another College/School at Detroit Mercy

    Current students who wish to transfer from one Detroit Mercy undergraduate college/school to another should visit the college/school of the program they want to switch to and discuss options.  The college/school may also have you meet with an advisor in the specific department.  Once approved, the college/school will send the approved paperwork to the Office of the Registrar.  Program/major changes should occur no later than the fourth week of the semester. Changes after that time will go into effect in the next semester. 



    Application for Graduation

    An "Application for Graduation" should be filed early in the academic year in which the student intends to graduate. Candidates for degrees must file their applications online through Self-Service at no later than the first week of the semester they intend to graduate. Applications for a degree or certificate should be filed by the last week of August for Fall/December graduation; the first week of January for Winter/April through August graduation. Applications are completed online through the student's My Portal account. Applications received after the deadline or failure to file an application may result in denial to participate in the commencement ceremony and/or delay in the date of graduation.

    Participation in the annual commencement ceremony in May may be dependent on the completion of all degree requirements.

    Minimum Requirements for Graduation

    The requirements set forth below are the minimum University requirements for graduation; colleges, schools and academic programs establish additional requirements that must be met for the particular degree programs they offer. Consult the Colleges and Schools section of this catalog for the specific requirements for particular degrees and major programs.

    Earned Credit Requirements

    A candidate for a bachelor's degree must complete a minimum of 120 earned credit hours (or more) acceptable to the degree program in which he/she is enrolled to be certified for graduation. The earned hour requirement is subject to the following limitations:

    • A maximum of 63 credits may transfer from a community college, unless a formal articulation agreement indicates otherwise.
    • A maximum of 90-96 credits may transfer from another four-year college or university depending on the total number of credits required for the specific degree.  A minimum of 30 credits must be taken at Detroit Mercy in order to receive a bachelor's degree from Detroit Mercy no matter what the degree program is.
    • A maximum combined total of 96 credits may transfer from any source (ex. community college, CLEP, Advanced Standing, etc).
    • A maximum of 12 credits may be earned through the Consortium, unless required by the student's major program.

    Major Program

    A candidate for a bachelor's degree must be certified by the college/school as having satisfactorily completed the requirements for a major program in the college/school in which the degree is requested.

    Declaration of a Major

    A student should declare a major by the first semester of his/her junior year.

    Minor Program

    The University recognizes that a minor is a specific area of study that a student may pursue in addition to their major. A student's minor or minors are attached to the student's major. Currently there are 33 minors that have been approved at Detroit Mercy. Contact your college/school for specifics or consult the minor section of this catalog.

    Declaration of a Minor

    A student must declare a degree-granting major before declaring a minor. All students planning to pursue a minor should declare that minor by the first semester of their junior year. A minor must be certified at the same time that the undergraduate major(s) is certified for graduation. A minor cannot be added after graduation. Upon successful completion, minors are listed on a student's final transcript but are not listed on the diploma.

    Minor Requirements

    Students may complete a maximum of two majors and two minors as part of one degree program at Detroit Mercy. A minor is not required in order to graduate. A student can minor in an area outside the college/school of their major(s). Normally students cannot be awarded a minor in a field in which they are earning or have already earned a bachelor's degree.

    A minimum of 18 credits is required for a minor. At most, six credit hours may be counted towards both the major and the minor (exception to this rule is if the minor requires four credit hour courses then, at most, eight credit hours (two courses) may be counted toward both the major and the minor). At most, three credit hours may be counted towards two separate minors. Students must maintain a cumulative 2.0 grade point average in all minor courses in order for the minor to be posted on the official transcript at the time of graduation.

    Prerequisites may be required for some minor courses. At least half the courses within the minor must be upper division courses (3000+ level). No courses required for the minor can be taken on a pass/fail basis. At least 12 credits (or four courses) required for the minor must be taken at Detroit Mercy unless the courses are taken as part of a consortium agreement.

    Certificate Programs

    The University offers a limited number of certificates at the undergraduate level. Normally a minimum of 15 semester hours is required for a certificate at Detroit Mercy. No more than one-third of the total number of credits required for a certificate can be transferred from another institution to meet the requirements of the certificate unless a specific articulation agreement is in place.

    Students must maintain a cumulative 2.0 grade point average in all certificate courses at the undergraduate level in order for the certificate to be granted. Prerequisites may be required for some certificate programs. No courses required for an undergraduate certificate may be taken on a pass/fail basis. Normally a student is enrolled in no more than one certificate program at a time. Certificates will not be granted retroactively after students have earned a degree. This does not prevent students from returning after a degree to earn a certificate by taking additional coursework. Students must complete an Application for Certificate in their last semester of coursework for the certificate.  You don't have to wait until you complete a degree in order to be awarded a certificate.


    Candidates for a bachelor's degree are to complete the last 30 credit hours of their program at Detroit Mercy. No transfer credits will be accepted as credit toward graduation during this portion of a student's program. Undergraduate students will not normally be permitted to transfer credits for courses taken at a local higher education institution when an identical or nearly identical course is concurrently being offered at Detroit Mercy. Exceptions may be made only by the dean of the school/college in which the undergraduate is enrolled. This permission must be obtained in writing before taking the course at another institution.

    University of Detroit Mercy waives the graduation requirement that the last 30 credits for active-duty service members must be earned at Detroit Mercy, if all other requirements have been satisfied. Reservists and National Guardsmen on active-duty are covered in the same manner.

    Grade Point Average (GPA)

    Candidates for a bachelor's degree must have a minimum 2.0 GPA as calculated for each of the following categories: all attempted hours in their degree program and and all attempted hours in the major program. Beginning in Fall 2012, the requirement that you must achieve at 2.0 GPA in the last 60 credit hours of the degree program was eliminated and the Detroit Mercy cumulative GPA is calculated based on all coursework taken at Detroit Mercy.

    Completion of Core

    A candidate for a bachelor's degree must have successfully completed all core requirements in effect at the time of his/her enrollment in Detroit Mercy. Students may be required to participate in competency testing as part of this graduation requirement.  

    Graduation With Honors

    Graduates who have compiled superior academic records during their undergraduate program at Detroit Mercy will have one of the following honors inscribed on their diploma and recorded on their permanent academic transcript: cum laude (3.50 GPA minimum), magna cum laude (3.70 GPA minimum), summa cum laude (3.90 GPA minimum). All coursework in the cumulative GPA at Detroit Mercy is used in the calculation for honors. Transfer students must complete at least 60 hours at Detroit Mercy to be eligible for Latin honors recognition. The responsibility for determining appropriate academic honors rests with the individual colleges/schools. Candidates enrolled in the Honors Program, who have completed the established requirements of the program, will have honors suitably inscribed as part of their degree name on their diploma.

    Second Major

    Students who successfully complete the requirements for a second undergraduate major (including at least a 2.0 GPA) can petition to have the second major listed on their transcript. Only one baccalaureate degree is awarded. If the second major is under a different baccalaureate degree than the primary major, only the degree of the primary major is awarded. All University Core Curriculum and support courses are completed under the primary major. No additional earned hour requirement applies to the recognition of the second major as long as the requirements of the second major are met within the minimum number of hours required for the primary degree major. However, no more than four courses (12 credit hours) may be used to satisfy the requirements of both majors. A second major cannot be added to a degree that has already been earned or added to the official transcript. Second majors must be completed at the time the first major and degree are completed.

    Second Baccalaureate Degree

    Students who wish to simultaneously pursue two baccalaureate degrees or post-degree students who wish to obtain another baccalaureate degree must complete all the requirements established by the college/school for the second major or professional program. The semester hours completed at this institution must total at least 30 beyond those required for the first baccalaureate degree. Students must have a 2.0 GPA in all required coursework and all coursework in the major program. There are no University Core Curriculum requirements for the second baccalaureate degree. However, a second bachelor degree has to be at least 30 additional hours as determined by the individual college/school and no more than four courses (12 credits) may be reused to satisfy the requirements of the second degree. Graduation Honors are not earned on the second degree.

    Honors Convocation

    Each spring in March or April, the University holds an Honors Convocation to celebrate the academic success of students. Students are recognized for achievement within the schools and colleges as well as such special programs as Alpha Sigma Nu, Kappa Gamma Pi and the Honors Program.

    Degree Completion and Commencement

    Degree requirements can be completed at the end of each semester during the academic year, but degrees are formally awarded only at the annual Commencement exercises in May. Participation is by invitation and may be dependent on completion of all degree requirements. Students must submit their applications by the deadline in order to participate. Commencement is ceremonial; participation in any Commencement ceremony does not assure that all requirements have been met or that a degree has been or will be granted.

    The University will also award degrees at the end of each month if the student completes his/her degree requirements after the official end of a semester. This typically may happen when the student is completing an "I" grade past the end of the semester but other situations may also apply.

    A student's academic record is sealed when his/her degree is posted to the student's official transcript. With the exception of errors, omissions, or documented discrepancies, changes to a student's major(s), minor(s), concentration, or academic honors, or the removal and/or change of incompletes, grades or other components of the academic record are not permitted.


    Effective assessment of student learning relies on collaboration between students, faculty and administrative staff. Assessment of student learning occurs in the academic major, the University Core Curriculum and in student life. Student participation in the assessment program is essential in meeting the University's commitment to student learning. University of Detroit Mercy requires students to actively participate in the institution's assessment program by completing surveys, tests, writing assignments, interviews, and other assessment-related activities.


    Accreditations and Memberships

    University of Detroit Mercy is fully accredited by the Higher Learning Commissions and a member of the North Central Association, 230 North LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500, Chicago, IL 60602-2504. 1-800-821-7440

    The University is a member of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities, Conference for Mercy Higher Education, the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Michigan, the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, American Council of Education and the National Association of College and University Business Officers.

    The School of Architecture is accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board, the only accrediting agency for architecture in the nation. It is a member of the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture.

    The College of Business Administration is accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business International. (AACSB). The College is also a signatory of the United Nations' Principles for Responsible Management Education (PRME).

    The School of Dentistry's Doctor of Dental Surgery program, Dental Hygiene program, graduate programs in Endodontics, Periodontics, Orthodontics and the Advanced Education Graduate Dentistry program are accredited by the American Dental Association's Commission on Dental Accreditation.

    The College of Engineering & Science programs leading to the Bachelor of Architectural Engineering, Bachelor of Civil Engineering, Bachelor of Electrical Engineering, and Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering are accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET. The Bachelor of Science in Chemistry degree program is certified by the American Chemical Society's Committee on Professional Training. The Bachelor of Science in Biochemistry degree program is within the guidelines stipulated by the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.

    In the College of Health Professions, the Physician Assistant program is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant. The Master of Science in Nurse Anesthesiology program is nationally accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs. The bachelor degree in Health Information Management and Technology is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation for Health Informatics and Information Management (CAHIIM).

    The baccalaureate degree in Nursing, master's degree in Nursing, Doctor of Nursing Practice degree, and post-graduate APRN certificate at University of Detroit Mercy are fully accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education, 655 K Street NW Suite 750, Washington, DC  20001.  Telephone:  (202) 887-6791.

    The School of Law is accredited by the American Bar Association and is a member of the Association of American Law Schools.

    In the College of Liberal Arts & Education, the doctoral program in Clinical Psychology is accredited by the Commission on Accreditation, American Psychological Association (APA); and the School Specialist program has received approval/recognition by the National Association of School Psychologists (NASP). The University has also been designated as a Center of Academic Excellence in Cyber Defense Education (CAE/CDE) by the National Security Agency (NSA) and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The Michigan Department of Education has authorized the College to recommend applicants for certificates to teach in the private and public schools of Michigan. The state elementary and secondary certificate, standard and professional, are issued by the Michigan Department of Education on the recommendation of the University. The Social Work program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE). The Master of Arts programs with majors in Clinical Mental Health Counseling and School Counseling are accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Education Programs (CACREP).


    Memberships and Professional Organizations

    • Academy for the Study of the Psychoanalytic Arts
    • Academy of Finance
    • Academy of Management
    • Accounting Aid Society
    • Actors Equity Association
    • Actors Guild
    • American Academy of Emergency Nurse Practitioners
    • American Academy of Physician Assistants
    • American Academy of Religion (AAR)
    • American Accounting Association
    • American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education
    • American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN)
    • American Association of Individual Investors
    • American Association of Nurse Anesthetists
    • American Correctional Association (ACA)
    • American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL)
    • American Counseling Association
    • American Economic Association (AEA)
    • American Evaluation Association
    • American Finance Association
    • American Forensic Association (AFA)
    • American Historical Association
    • American Institute of Architects (AIA)
    • American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
    • American Library Association (ALA)
    • American Marketing Association
    • American Mental Health Counselor Association
    • American Psychological Association (APA)
    • American School Counselor Association
    • American Society for Bioethics and the Humanities (ASBH)
    • American Society for Engineering Education
    • American Society for Quality
    • American Society of Civil Engineers
    • American Society of Trial Consultants (ASTC)
    • American Statistical Association
    • American Studies Association
    • Association for College and Research Libraries (ACRL)
    • Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
    • Association for Multicultural Counseling and Development
    • Association for Psychological Science
    • Association for Specialist in Group Work
    • Association of American Law Schools
    • Association of Catholic Colleges and Universities
    • Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture
    • Association of Computing Machinery (ACM)
    • Association of Computing Machinery Special Interest Group on Applied Computing (ACM SIG SAC)
    • Association of Consumer Research
    • Association of Directors of Psychology Training Clinics (ADPTC)
    • Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Michigan
    • Association of Information Systems
    • Association of Information Technology Professionals
    • Association of International Educators (NAFSA)
    • Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities (AJCU)
    • Association of Marketing Science
    • Association of Michigan School Counselors
    • Association of Religiously Affiliated Law Schools
    • Baccalaureate Social Work Program Directors
    • Broadcast Education Association (BEA)
    • Buddhist Peace Fellowship
    • Business Leadership Network of Michigan
    • Canadian Association of Schools of Social Work
    • Canadian Psychology Association (CPA)
    • Catholic Theological Society of America (CTSA)
    • Center for Ethics and Religious Values, Notre Dame University
    • Central States Communication Association (CSCA)
    • Chi Sigma Iota
    • Colleagues in Jesuit Business Education
    • College Media Advisers (CMA)
    • College Theology Society (CTS)
    • Collegium Michigan Academy of Arts, Sciences and Letters
    • Conference for Mercy Higher Education
    • Cooperative Education and Internship Association (CEIAC)
    • Council of University Directors of Clinical Psychology Programs (CUDCP)
    • Council on Social Work Education
    • Decision Sciences Institute
    • Department of Labor and Economic Growth, Member-State Navigator Initiative
    • Detroit Area Library Network (DALNET)
    • Detroit Executive Service Corps
    • Dharma Drum Mountain Cultural Center
    • Director of Independent Libraries in Michigan (DIAL-M)
    • Economic Club of Detroit
    • Engineering Society of Detroit
    • Federal Depository Library Program (FDLP)
    • Financial Education Association
    • Financial Executives International
    • Financial Management Association International
    • Global Jesuit Business Student Association
    • Greater Detroit Regional Chamber of Commerce
    • History of Economics Society
    • Institute for Operations Research and the Management Sciences
    • Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineering (IEEE)
    • International Association for Business and Society
    • International Association of Addiction and Offender Counselors
    • International Association of Jesuit Business Schools
    • International Federation for Psychoanalytic Education (IFPE)
    • International Listening Association (ILC)
    • International Network of Engaged Buddhists
    • International Society of Feminist Theologians
    • International Transpersonal Association
    • Jane Austen Society of North America
    • John Courtney Murray Theology Group
    • Lewis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation
    • Marketing Management Association
    • MBAA Academy of Finance
    • Medical Ethics Resource Network of Michigan (MERN)
    • Medical Library Association (MLA)
    • Medieval Academy
    • Mercy Business Leadership Conference
    • Metropolitan Detroit Medical Library Group (MDMLG)
    • Michigan Academic Library Council (MALC)
    • Michigan Association for Counselor Education and Supervision
    • Michigan Association for Specialists in Group Work
    • Michigan Association of Baccalaureate Social Work Educators
    • Michigan Association of Certified Public Accountants
    • Michigan Association of Colleges of Nursing
    • Michigan Association of Industrial/Organizational Psychologists (MAIOP)
    • Michigan Association of Nurse Anesthetists
    • Michigan Business Leadership Network
    • Michigan Career Educators and Employers Alliance (MCEEA)
    • Michigan Collegiate Press Association (MCPA)
    • Michigan Colleges Alliance (MCA)
    • Michigan Council of Federal Depository Libraries (MCFDL)
    • Michigan Council of Nurse Practitioners
    • Michigan Counseling Association
    • Michigan Health Science Library Association (MHSLA)
    • Michigan Hispanic Fund
    • Michigan Independent Colleges and Universities (MICU)
    • Michigan Library Association (MLA)
    • Michigan Psychological Association
    • Michigan Religious Roundtable
    • Michigan Society for Psychoanalytic Psychology (MSPP)
    • Michigan Teachers of English as a Second Language (MITESOL)
    • Michigan Academy of Physician Assistants
    • Middle East Studies Association
    • Midwest Cooperative Library Services (MCLS)
    • Midwest Economics Association (MEA)
    • Midwest Finance Association
    • Midwest Political Science Association (MPSA)
    • Midwestern Psychological Association
    • MiJob Coalition
    • Mobilization of Disabled Youth Leadership
    • National Association of Alcoholism & Drug Abuse Counselors
    • National Association of Colleges & Employers (NACE)
    • National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities
    • National Association of Social Workers - Michigan
    • National Association of Workforce Professionals
    • National Communication Association (NCA)
    • National League for Nursing (NLN)
    • National Organization of Nurse Practitioners
    • New York Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts & Sciences (NYNATAS)
    • OCLC
    • Organization of American Historians
    • Phi Alpha Delta
    • Physician Assistant Education Association
    • Pi Sigma Alpha
    • Production and Operations Management Society
    • Sakyadhita: International Association of Buddhist Women
    • Screen Royal Historical Society
    • Service Members Opportunity Colleges
    • Small Business Institute
    • Social Enterprise Alliance
    • Society for Biblical Literature (SBL)
    • Society for Business Ethics
    • Society for Historians of the Early Republic
    • Society for Industrial/Organizational Psychology
    • Society for Stage Directors and Choreographers
    • Society for the Advancement of Management
    • Society for the Scientific Study of Religion (SSSR)
    • Society of Christian Ethics (SCE)
    • Society of Estimators and Cost Analyst
    • Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ)
    • Southeast League of Libraries (SEMLOL)
    • Southwestern Finance Association
    • Special Library Association (SLA)
    • State Bar of Michigan (SBM)
    • State Bar of Michigan Real Estate Section (SBM RES)
    • Student Academy of the American Academy of Physician Assistants
    • Teachers of English as a Second Language (TESOL)
    • The Association of Korean Political Studies
    • The Clute Institute for Academic Research
    • The Korea America Economic Association
    • The Korea America Finance Association
    • Theatre Communications Group
    • Turnaround Management Association
    • United States Association for Small Business and Entrepreneurship
    • US Department of Transportation Center (MIOH-UTC)
    • Women's Economic Club


    Alcohol and Drugs

    The University policy on the use of alcohol and drugs is published and distributed annually to all members of the Detroit Mercy community and is available in the Student Handbook . Students should be aware that, in addition to the serious health, legal and personal problems associated with the illicit or abusive use of alcohol and drugs, there can be University disciplinary action as well. Sanctions for violation of the law and/or University policy can include suspension or dismissal from Detroit Mercy.

    Students should know that help is available in dealing with the difficulties related to alcohol and other drugs. Services are available both on-campus and through a variety of community agencies. Initial contact may be made through any of the following offices: Personal Counseling, Health Services, Addiction Studies, University Ministry, Residence Life or Student Life.

    Attendance Policy

    Regular and punctual attendance is expected in all classes. Students are responsible for work missed because of late registration or for any other reason. Faculty communicate their attendance policy in writing to students in the first class session of the term/semester. Faculty may recommend that students withdraw from class when absence prevents the student from achieving the objectives of the course. There is no tuition refund for voluntary failure to attend classes or absences. Students who have an emergency and cannot attend classes are required to withdraw from their classes through their college/school office.

    Civil Rights

    The Office of Human Resources has been designated to coordinate Detroit Mercy's compliance with all Federal Civil Rights laws. The Human Resources Office may be contacted at:

    Human Resources - University of Detroit Mercy
    4001 W. McNichols Road
    Detroit, MI 48221-3038

    or by telephone at 313-993-1036.

    Conduct Code and Disciplinary Procedures

    Violations of campus rules or civil laws may result in disciplinary action.  Disciplinary procedures are detailed in the Student Handbook.  The dean of students oversees investigations and charges concerning violations and imposes disciplinary sanctions.  Dormitory violations may be referred to the residence hall staff.   

    Students charged with academic violations may elect to accept the judgment of an academic dean.  For non-academic violations, a formal hearing may be requested before the University Board of Student Conduct, which is composed of two students, a faculty member and a Student Affairs administrator.   

    Penalties for minor violations may range from written warning, probation (limitations of certain campus privileges) to required participation in a rehabilitative education program.  Students charged with major violations may be suspended, expelled or give a lesser sanction.   

    The dean of students may suspend a student pending completion of any hearing if such action is necessary.  Additional information concerning the dean of students/handbook can be found:   



    Release of Student Records — FERPA

    Detroit Mercy maintains the confidentiality of student records in accordance with the provision of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended. At the University, the associate vice president and University registrar coordinate the inspection and review procedures for student records, which include admissions, personal, academic and financial files, as well as cooperative education and placement records.

    The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their educational records. They are:

    (1) The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access.

    Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.

    (2) The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading.

    Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate or misleading. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate or misleading. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his/her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.

    (3) The right to consent to disclosure of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.

    One exception, which permits disclosure without consent, is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his/her tasks.

    A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility. Upon request, the University discloses education records without consent to officials of another school in which a student seeks or intends to enroll.

    (4) The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by University of Detroit Mercy to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the office that administers FERPA is:

    Student Privacy Policy Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW
    Washington, D.C. 20202

    The University may disclose the following categories of public or "directory" information for any purpose, at its discretion: student name, addresses, telephone numbers, dates of attendance, class, date and place of birth, major field of study, previous institutions attended, awards, honors (includes Dean's List), degrees conferred (including dates), photograph, past and present participation in officially recognized activities and sports, physical factors (e.g. weight and height of athletes). Currently enrolled students may withhold disclosure of any such information under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. To withhold disclosure, written notification must be received by the Registrar by the end of the first week of classes for each semester or period of study.


    Disability Support Services

    Disability support services are available to all currently enrolled students. Students with a permanent or temporary documented, qualified disability requiring accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act should contact Laura Bagdady, assistant director of the Student Success Center and director of Disability Support Services, at 313-993-1158 upon admission to the University. Students must complete the intake and disability verification process to receive accommodations.



    Summary information on the University’s financial condition is available to the public and prospective students, upon request, from the Office of Marketing & Communications at 313-993-1254. The most recent audited financial statements are available in the reference areas of all University libraries. Information and statistics on graduation rates and campus safety is published annually and is available upon request from the Office of the Vice President for Enrollment and Student Affairs. Policies on sexual harassment and AIDS are included in the Student Handbook.