Undergraduate Catalog 2011-2012
UDM Academic PoliciesCourse DescriptionsList of All ProgramsFaculty


Mission Statement
It is our mission to serve the Detroit, the national and the world communities through the education of professional engineers, scientists and mathematicians, and through the discovery, application and dissemination of knowledge.

That education will be personally focused in the needs of each student, value centered in the tradition of the Catholic Church, affordable, and unexcelled in quality of instruction and content. It will be characterized by a hands-on nature, which includes frequent laboratory experiences and integrated cooperative experience for all students. It will be convenient to all students, whether full-time or part-time, on-campus or off-campus.

The College will discover and apply knowledge which effectively addresses the critical opportunities and challenges of the urban and industrial communities. It will do so in active and intimate partnerships with industry and government.

We will be helpful, courteous and professional in all internal and external interactions.

Admissions Requirements

First Year Students
To be admitted as first year students to the College of Engineering & Science, applicants must meet UDM’s general entrance requirements. In addition, they should have completed at least four units of mathematics, two units of laboratory science, four units of English, and three units of social studies.

The College of Engineering & Science does not admit those who, in its judgment, do not have the background to succeed in its academically demanding programs. Applicants should rank in the upper two-fifths of their high school classes and should have at least a B average in high school mathematics, sciences and English. Special note is taken of scores on the College Entrance Examination (SAT) or the American College Test (ACT).

Placement tests in English and mathematics are required of all new students admitted into the College; a placement test in chemistry is also required of those applicants whose intended program calls for chemistry. Scores from these tests along with past academic performance are used in determining the level of the first course in each of these disciplines.

Transfer Students
UDM gives full consideration to students who wish to transfer from any accredited college or university. Many such colleges and universities have articulation agreements for various programs in the College of Engineering & Science. Unless the waived by the Dean's office, it is expected that transfer students will take UDM placement tests in English, mathematics and chemistry.

Transfer candidates may be accepted and given the same academic standing as students who have completed the corresponding courses at UDM. However, since the academic standing of each transfer applicant is appraised on an individual basis. In addition to other University requirements, a substantial portion of the major program must be completed from approved major courses at UDM. For example, engineering majors must complete a minimum of 24 credit hours of departmental courses from UDM. Engineering courses that seem similar, but do not contain the required content, will not be transferable to the program. Only classes having at least a grade of “C” or equivalent will transfer.

International Students
Qualified international students who are graduates of recognized secondary schools are invited to pursue degree programs in the various departments of the College of Engineering & Science. All students entering the College from secondary schools are required to complete placement examinations in English, mathematics, and (if the intended program calls for it) chemistry.

For students transferring into the College with prior college or university work, it is the policy that official evaluation of transcripts for transfer credit will not be made until after the completion of one term of full-time academic work at the University. This means completion of a minimum of twelve (12) credit hours not including any American Language courses that may be required.

Advanced Placement

Many Engineering and Science incoming students have taken “Advanced Placement” (AP) tests while in high school which can generate college credit and/or specific course equivalencies. Any student who has taken “AP” tests should have the scores forwarded to the University for evaluation. If the score(s) meet the necessary minimums, as defined by the University, credit will be issued. This credit will be counted as hours earned but will not count in the calculation of the QPA (i.e. AP credit will be treated the same as transfer credit). Even though credit is an option, it is the decision of the student as to whether they will accept the AP credit or take the course for which they could receive credit.

Transfer Credit

For students transferring to the University, transcripts of work completed at other schools should be sent directly to the Engineering & Science Records office. They are then automatically routed to the University’s Transfer Credit/Degree Audit Office for evaluation of credit. A short time after receipt of transcripts, evaluation of the transcript should be completed with written documentation available to the student. Only OFFICIAL transcripts sent directly from the other institution to UDM are considered. Once the college receives the evaluation, the office of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will submit to the appropriate department an explanation of the impact of the transfer credit on the student’s academic program. When there is doubt about the equivalency of courses, the student may be asked to submit course descriptions of courses. The evaluation of a transcript may grant credit for course work that is not applicable to the student’s program in the College. (Exception: International students must earn a full term of credit prior to the preparation of an official evaluation.)

In considering transfer credit for engineering students, no credit will be granted for engineering design courses unless the credit was earned in an ABET accredited program.

A maximum of 63 credit hours can be transferred from community and junior colleges unless an articulation agreement exists. The maximum which can be transferred from four year institutions is 96 credit hours. In any case, transfer students are expected to complete all of the fourth year courses of the curriculum under which they are studying at the University of Detroit Mercy in order to receive a degree from the University of Detroit Mercy. Of these 30 credit hours at UDM, engineering students must complete a minimum of 24 credits in major courses (3000 level or above).

Current Students, with the prior approval of the department, may take courses at other colleges or universities. The student is to prepare a “Request for Transfer Credit Form” providing details on the course requested and signed by the student’s department chair and one of the College Deans. The student should also complete the “Guest Student Application Form.” After the course is successfully completed the student should arrange to have an Official Transcript sent to the College Records Office. The student must request to have the transcript sent; this is not an automatic process. The course transfers, but the grade does not, except where special agreements are in place. In any case, only courses with the grade of “C” or better will transfer.

Note: Courses with grades of “C -” do not transfer.

In general, students are discouraged from taking courses at other schools unless it can be demonstrated that not taking the course would significantly delay graduation or cause other undue hardship. The University residency requirement states that candidates for a bachelor degree must complete the last 30 credit hours of their program “In Residence” at the University of Detroit Mercy (i.e.., seniors are not permitted to take courses at other Universities). Also, generally when a course is offered at UDM a similar course cannot be taken at another institution during the same term. Exception to this must be petitioned in writing.

Senior Residency Rule

Candidates for a bachelors degree are to complete the last 30 credit hours of their program at the University of Detroit Mercy. Any exception to this rule must be petitioned in writing to the Student Affairs Committee.

Credit by Examiniation

In special cases, it is possible that a student has acquired prior knowledge of course material without having formal documentation (i.e. not on a transcript from an accredited college). Under these conditions, it is possible for a student to “test out of a course”. This could occur for either technical or non-technical classes. There is a non-refundable fee for this process.


Students who have completed course work at Mercy College of Detroit, University of Detroit or University of Detroit Mercy and who have not enrolled at the University for two years or more should apply for readmission by completing a Readmission Application. This form can be obtained from the Registrar’s Office or from any of the college offices. Students who have completed college work at other institutions prior to applying for readmission to the University will be expected to submit transcripts from each college attended. Readmission is subject to approval of the Dean of the College.

Academic Advisor

The role of the advisor is to provide counsel and guidance concerning program or career objectives, selection of courses during registration, conflicts in scheduling, probation problems, poor grades, tutorial referral and personal matters. Each student has ultimate responsibility for his/her own academic program and should be very familiar with all program requirements.

In order for an advisor to best serve the student, it is important for the student to keep his/her advisor informed on all academic actions (e.g. registrations, add/drop etc.)

The faculty advisor is not authorized to waive pre-requisites, make substitutions to program requirements, or make exceptions to Department/ College/University policies. A student who feels that good and sufficient reason exists for such action should submit a written petition to the Student Affairs Committee of the College. See the section Exceptions and Substitutions.

Assignment of Undergraduate Advisors

First Time Students
The College Advising Coordinator assigns appropriate Academic Advisors to incoming students.

Transfer Students
Transfer students are normally assigned to departmental advisors in the programs of their choice when they begin their time at the University.

General Information
A departmental advisor in the student’s program will be assigned after the first year. If the student is still undecided about the particular program, he or she may continue into the sophomore year with the initial advisor.

With the alternation of industrial co-op assignments for engineering students and the term teaching assignments of the faculty, it is possible that the assigned advisor is not available for advising purposes. In this case, other faculty in the student’s department may provide the necessary service.

In all cases, if a student wished to declare a major or to change a major, a new advisor will be assigned only after the student formally declares the new major. See the section MAJOR DECLARATION.


During the advising period set aside by the University, students meet with their advisors to plan a program of courses for the following term. They then register using TitanConnect after being authorized by their advisor. Students should make an attempt to register as early as possible for any upcoming term. Early registration helps the student avoid closed sections and course conflicts. Students should prepare for the meeting with the advisor by assuring that prerequisites for the courses they wish to take have been completed and that all courses are taken in the sequence established by the department. In each student’s academic file there is a summary sheet which provides an overview of his/her record. Academic records are now available online. This is the principal document used by the advisor in the advising process. Each student has the responsibility to review this form and check it for accuracy at each meeting with the advisor. Careful attention to the early registration process can eliminate much of the Change in Registration activity.

Once a student has registered for a term, he/she is responsible for the payment or the arrangement for payment of tuition and fees before the beginning of the term.

Registration for a course represents a commitment to that course. After registration, if a student fails to attend the course and does not withdraw from the course, a grade of “F” usually results. Any student who has not registered and made arrangements to pay for courses by the end of the third week is not considered officially registered and will not receive grades for any courses and may not attend class.

A student is officially a member of a class only when the registration process is completed, including the arrangement for the payment of fees. Only those students whose names are on the class list are registered students.

Prerequisite Courses

Some prerequisite courses may be required of a student to ensure their success in a program. They are to be completed as early as possible in the student’s study plan. Failure to take a prerequisite course first does not eliminate it from a student’s graduation requirements. Many prerequisites include a minimum course grade of “C”. All mathematics courses, freshmen and sophomore Chemistry courses, and some courses in other majors require a grade of “C” or better in any prerequisite courses.

Sequence of Courses

The Program Planning Guides and program flow charts, where they exist, illustrate the normal sequence of courses in the various programs. Some variations of these sequences are possible but care should be taken in that not every course is offered every term. In general, freshmen courses should be taken during the freshman year, sophomore courses during the sophomore year, etc. Students who delay the completion of courses planned for early in the program frequently find that course scheduling conflicts prevent the timely completion of program requirements.

Classification of Undergraduate Students

Students are classified on the basis of the number of earned hours completed according to the following scheme:

FRESHMAN: Less than 32 credits
SOPHOMORE: At least 32 credits and less than 63 credits
JUNIOR: At least 63 earned credits and less than 95 credits
SENIOR: 95 or more earned credits

Even though a student may be in one of the above classifications, the actual progress in the program will be determined by his or her progress in the sequence of courses needed for graduation (e.g. an engineering student who has not successfully completed Calculus I and II is still considered a freshman in the program).

Pass/Fail Option

The pass/fail grading option is provided to encourage students to explore challenging elective courses which they might not otherwise select. The final grade for a course taken pass/fail may be a “P”, or “F”. Grades of A through D are converted to “P”. Hours earned with a grade of “P” count toward graduation (earned hours) but a “P” does not enter into the calculation of the QPA. A final grade of “F” is treated in the same manner as in those courses which are not taken pass/fail. This option is irreversible.

Students may convert eligible courses to a pass/fail basis during the second week of classes by completing the appropriate form in the College Records Office.

The following courses may not be taken on a pass/fail basis:

  • Courses used to satisfy a University Core Curriculum requirement.
  • Courses required by the student’s major program or any certificate or minor program.

Only students with a cumulative QPA of 2.50 or better are eligible to take courses on a pass/fail basis except in certain designated classes (e.g. ENGR 3030).

A maximum of 12 credit hours may be taken on a pass/fail basis.

Auditing a Class

All course registrations at the University of Detroit Mercy are “credit” registrations. Any student wishing to take a course on an “AUDIT” basis (i.e. gain knowledge without receiving academic credit) must do so by registering for credit in the normal fashion and then changing the registration from credit to audit during the second week of classes. The Registration/Change in Registration form is used for this activity. After the end of the second week of the term, students may not change a course from credit to audit, or from audit to credit.

A student who is auditing a course pays the applicable tuition and fees for the course. The course will appear on the transcript with the grade “AUD”. The student receives no earned credit for the course. Before approving an audit registration change, an advisor should have the student check the financial aid implications of an audit registration. International students should check with the ISO before an audit registration.

Change in Registration (Add/Drop)

Prior to the start of classes, students can use TitanConnect to add/drop classes with the permission of the advisor (granted by the removal of the registration PIN.) If, after registration has been completed a change is needed in the student’s schedule, the student should confer with their advisor before making any changes, and a record of the agreed upon change should be put in the student’s file. If the change is being made after the start of classes, the student must complete a “Change of Registration Form,” available in the College Records Office or the Science Offices. This form is sometimes called the Add/Drop form because it can be used for both purposes. In the first week, after the start of classes, the Change in Registration Form should be signed by the advisor and the instructor(s) of any classes being added. After obtaining the proper signatures it may be taken to the Registrar’s Office for processing.

Attempting to add a course that is closed, or that has another restriction preventing the student to register, will not be permitted without the signature approval of the instruction and one of the College Deans on the “Override Approval Form.” With all of the correct signatures, courses may be added up to and during the first week of the term. In rare circumstances, it may be possible to add a course later than the first week. It should be noted however, that late entry into a course entails missed instructional material (which can put students at a severe academic disadvantage) and late registration charges.

In order to drop a course, the student must obtain the signatures of his/her advisor or one of the College deans. Be aware that the dropping of a course is a formal process; it is not sufficient to simply walk away from a course. The latter action will almost certainly result in a failing grade and a continued responsibility to meet the full tuition charges for the course. If a course is dropped prior to the “delete date” (the end of the first week of the term), the course is deleted from the student’s record. If the course is dropped between the “delete date” and the “withdrawal date” (approximately the twelfth week of the term) a “W” appears on the student’s record. After the “withdrawal date” a course cannot be dropped. These timetables are adjusted for the abbreviated summer sessions and accelerated courses. Students should be aware that several withdrawals appearing on their records may be interpreted as an academic weakness. It should be noted that there may be financial implications when a course is dropped. Consultation with the Financial Aid Office is strongly recommended.

If, as a result of dropping course(s), a student falls below 12 credits in a term (9 credits for a graduate student), he/she will lose full time student status which may impact financial aid and/or immigration status. Exact dates for deleting and withdrawing courses are established by the University (not the College) and are available on-line each term. Moreover, it is highly recommended that students retain all copies of add/drop activities for their own records.

Senior Privilege

University of Detroit Mercy undergraduate seniors with at least a 3.25 quality point average may be permitted to take up to nine graduate credits to be used toward a master’s degree. The student must have at least 110 earned hours and the approval of the Director of the Graduate Program offering the course. Registration for graduate courses is by Senior Privilege Authorization Form Only. (Forms are available in the Records Office). Permission to enroll in graduate courses under senior privilege does not imply acceptance into a graduate program. Students enrolled through senior privilege must follow the procedures and meet the established requirements in order to continue their graduate study.

University Core Curriculum

In addition to the successful completion of the specific major program courses, the University has a core curriculum requirement for all students. The core curriculum consists of a group of courses based on objectives set by the University in conjunction with the Mission Statement.

Please refer to the UDM Core Curriculum for Engineering & Science .


Co-op is an integral and required part of the program for engineering students. All undergraduate students in Engineering programs (including international students) are required to participate in co-operative education. Students in Science and Mathematics programs are also strongly encouraged to participate. Engineering students normally begin their first co-op assignment in the summer following the sophomore year and then alternate terms in school and on co-operative assignments. In order to prepare for the experience of finding a co-op job and participating effectively in it, students must take ENGR 3000 during Term I of their Sophomore year. Engineering students must complete ENGR 3010, ENGR 3020, ENGR 3030 as part of their co-op experience as a means of satisfying Objective 6B of the core-curriculum.

Part-time students may earn co-op credit through appropriate full-time technical work. Such students petition the Co-op Office for co-op credit by portfolio at the beginning of their last term of study.

The sequence of co-op courses (10 cr.) applies for all engineering students:
ENGR 3000 Intro to E & S Coop Preparation 1
CTA 3010 Engineering Co-op Assignment 2
ENGR 3010 Professional World of Work I 1
CTA 3020 Engineering Co-op Assignment 2
ENGR 3020 Professional World of Work II 1
CTA 3030 Engineering Co-op Assignment 2
ENGR 3030 Professional World of Work III 1

Elective Courses

Electives provide students the opportunity to tailor an undergraduate academic program to meet specific interests. Some majors have several electives in the published academic program. Others have very few or no electives. In all cases elective courses may be taken over and above the minimum program required for graduation. Elective courses are selected through discussion with the academic advisor and should be part of a coherent overall plan of study. Technical electives in engineering programs are restricted to the approved lists of courses published by the individual departments and are, at a minimum, courses in the College numbered 3000 and above. “Free” electives may be taken from any of the University’s offerings (except those noted below). They are the choice of the student. Transfer students may have suitable courses, taken prior to transfer, assigned as technical or free electives through the transcript evaluation process. NOTE: Except in the use of the Repeat Rule, a student may not take courses at a lower level than the last one completed and, if done so, they will not count in the QPA nor advance a student toward graduation (e.g. MTH 1110/1120 are not acceptable if MTH 1410 has been successfully taken.)

Course Syllabi

Each student should receive from the instructor, during the first regular class session, a written copy of the syllabus for that course. The syllabus should include information such as: a brief description of the purposes and topic content of the course; the grading system employed in the course; attendance policies; required and optional textbooks; special materials and supplies; the approximate dates of major examinations and/or papers; any required “field trips” or other obligations; and the location of the instructor’s office, regularly scheduled office hours and a place where messages to the instructor can be left. For some courses, syllabi may be found on line.

Exceptions and Substitutions

When, for serious reasons, there is a perceived need for a student to deviate from his/her academic program or a published regulation, the student may petition the College Student Affairs Committee. The written petition is submitted to the Student Affairs Committee in care of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and should contain details on the circumstances associated with the requested exception or substitution. Exceptions and/or substitutions are only provided where there is a clear case of unreasonable hardship that occurs through no fault of the student. In all cases, engineering students must fulfill all requirements for ABET accreditation. A written response is provided, usually within 2 weeks after the request.

Major Declaration

When students enter the University of Detroit Mercy, they are assigned to a program based on the information supplied on the Application for Admission. If it is necessary for the major to be changed at some point after admission to the University, this action is accomplished by the completion of a Change or Correction of College/Program/Advisor Form. Speak to your advisor or the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs about this process. It is important that a student is placed in the proper Department/Program as soon as he or she is reasonably sure of his/her academic objective.


The University offers academic minors that allows a student to broaden their educational experience in a formally recognized way. A list of available minors and their requirements are available in the catalog.

Multiple Majors

A student may pursue course work in more than one field of study in a variety of ways. One way is to use elective credits to take courses in a field outside of the major field of study. A student can receive a second major by satisfying the requirements for the second major.

Another possibility is to work toward two distinct degrees. These can be granted through the fulfillment of the course requirements of both programs and the completion of a minimum of thirty hours of course work beyond the first degree. It is not necessary for both degrees to be conferred at the same time. Students pursuing double degrees should file a letter of intent signed by the appropriate program chairpersons. Note: In order to qualify for graduation with honors in the second degree program, the second baccalaureate degree must total at least 30 credit hours beyond those required for the first baccalaureate degree.

Finals Week

The last week of each of the regular trimesters is set aside for a single class session for each course. The class meets for either an extended class period or an examination. The class meeting time is posted on the Schedule of Classes. If a student has been assigned three examinations during the same day of “Final Week”, he/she may ask his/her PROFESSORS for reassignment of an exam. In such situations or in conflicts involving two scheduled class meetings the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs may be consulted for resolution.

Course Grades

If a student believes that he or she was unfairly graded in a course, then the College Grievance Policy should be followed.

Quality Point Average (QPA)

The Quality Point Average (QPA) of a student is determined by dividing the number of earned quality points by the number of attempted hours. The QPA can be determined for a student’s overall record at the University, for the Major Program, or for some portion of the overall record. Repeating courses may modify the computation of the QPA (see the section REPEATING A CLASS).

"I" Grades
An “I” grade may be given to a student at the discretion of the instructor when the student has been unable for a serious reason to complete a major course segment. The request for an “I” must be initiated by the student - it is not an automatic grade given by an instructor. University regulations require that the work be completed not later than eight weeks after the end of the term in which the “I” grade was received. The instructor may establish earlier dates for the completion of work.

Students with an excused absence from a final examination must complete the examination within two weeks of the scheduled date, unless the appropriate college administrator permits an extension of the deadline in writing. An “I” grade, not otherwise changed by the dates stipulated, will be changed to an “I/F” (treated as an “F” in the QPA). If there is too much work to be made up in the judgment of the faculty member (e.g., four weeks of the term missed), it may be necessary for the student to repeat the course. (No “I” grade is recorded.) The University does not permit a student to “sit in” on the portion of the class missed. To receive credit for a class a student must register for it and pay the appropriate tuition and fees.

The instructor who intends to assign an “I” grade must complete the College form. The instructor will provide information on the student and the reason for the Incomplete along with specific details on what outstanding work is to be completed and the date by which it will be submitted for review. The last date to complete the work is approximately six weeks after the end of the term in which the work was to be completed. Official dates are identified in the University calendar.

If a student does not complete the work after 8 weeks the Registrar converts the grade to “I/F” (Incomplete/Failing) for undergraduate students. A graduate student may graduate with an “I” grade on their record if they fulfill all program requirements. An Undergraduate student must have “I” grades removed prior to graduation.

Change in Grade

On rare occasions, a student may receive an incorrect grade (i.e. posting error). Should this occur, the student should contact the instructor directly within 30 days of receiving the grade. With sufficient reason the instructor may submit a change in grade form (including the reason for the change). These must be approved by the Dean’s Office. Grades will not be changed if an extended period (e.g. six months) between the assignment of the grade and the action to correct the matter has expired.

Repeating a Class

A student may, for good and sufficient reasons, register for a course in which he or she has already received a low passing grade or an “F”. In such cases both the original and the new grade remain on the student’s transcript.Only the second grade (even if it is lower than the first) is used in the QPA calculation - the first grade (although remaining on the transcript) is eliminated from the QPA.

Note: Students returning under the “Transfer Option” are not eligible for the Repeat Rule.

Transfer Student Option

After an absence from the University of at least one year, an undergraduate student may request readmission under transfer option. Under this option, the student is treated as a transfer student in the computing of his/her academic standing. This means that the student may re-enter with advanced standing but with no previously accumulated quality point average. When considering the student’s academic history, no course with a grade of “C-” or below will be considered for credit toward a degree. This option is irreversible. Students who return under the Transfer Option are not eligible to use the “Repeat Rule” (see Repeating a Class). Readmission is available only for existing programs at the time of the application process.

Dean's List

During the duration of the undergraduate program a student earning a QPA of 3.25 or above will be placed on the Dean’s list for the term in which that average was earned.

Catalog of Entry

Students whose interruption of study at the University is less than one year retain the right to the requirements of their catalog of entry. Students who have not completed course work at the University for one year or more will have their previous work reevaluated according to the requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of readmission.

If a program/degree has been discontinued during the period of inactivity then the applicant is not entitled to request a program or classes that no longer exist. The College will work with students in this situation to provide them with a program that is as close to the initial objectives as possible so that as much of the course work previously taken can be applied to the new program.

It might be wise for a student who has been academically inactive for several years to repeat some key courses that are prerequisites for new major courses, even though they have received credit for the former course work. The student should speak with the program chairperson about this.

Dead Week

It should be noted that the University policy precludes giving quizzes or examinations during the week preceding the final week of a 15 week course. This is referred to as “DEAD WEEK”. It is acceptable, however, for instructors to require homework or papers due during this week.

Special Nees

Upon admission to the University and a program in the College of Engineering and Science, it is the responsibility of a student to identify any special needs that may require an instructor to modify classroom events. This would normally be done on the Application for Admission. Once documented, instructors are then notified of the nature of the student’s needs. Current students who develop needs for special assistance due to physical or other handicaps, on either a temporary or long-term basis, should contact Emilie Gallegos in the University Advising and Academic Services Office at 993-1143. Official documentation is always required. Faculty will then be notified of the nature of the student needs.

Student Academic Files / FERPA

Upon entry into the College, an academic file is generated for each student. This file contains application materials, grade reports, and advising notes. Once a student has declared a major, the file also includes a summary form which details all major program requirements.

By Federal Law, the academic file of the student is private information and available only to personnel within the University with a legitimate need for the information. In general, a student’s academic record can only be released to a third person by written authorization by the student. This written authorization must be renewed with each request for information.


In the event of a difference of position between a faculty member and a student, a formal procedure exists to aid in the resolution of the matter. In general, students are advised to consult with the instructor prior to beginning the appeal process in an attempt to resolve the difference. All appeals (in writing) should be filed in a timely manner, preferably shortly after the cause for the grievance occurs. The Dean of the College is the final level of appeal for a grievance after all other procedures have been exhausted.

The faculty of the College of Engineering and Science are educational professionals. Most have accumulated many years of experience. As such, they have become proficient in assessing a student’s performance in a class by measuring in an unbiased fashion achievement of the materials presented in the light of the course syllabus. Therefore, it should be rare that a student should grieve the grade they have received in a course. Should a student believe that they have received an unfair grade, they have the burden of presenting a case identifying circumstances beyond their control that may have affected the course grade.

In the event that a grievance occurs between a student and a faculty member on an academic matter, the following procedure is in effect:

Step 1. Faculty Member
The grieved party should make every effort to resolve the problem with the faculty member.

Step 2. Chairperson
If a solution cannot be achieved with the faculty member, then the grieved party may submit, in writing, his/her position on the matter to the department chairperson. If the chairperson can resolve the issue, the grievance procedure is terminated.

Step 3. Departmental Grievance Committee
If the recommendation is not acceptable to either the student or the faculty member, or if the complaint is against the department chairperson, then the matter becomes the responsibility of the AD HOC departmental grievance committee (where the department has a policy for such.) The department committee makes appropriate recommendations in an attempt to resolve the grievance using procedures established by the department. If the departmental grievance committee can resolve the issue the procedure is terminated.

Step 4. College Grievance Committee
If no departmental committee exists or if the issue is not resolved by the departmental committee, the student may request in writing a review by the College Grievance Committee. The five person College Grievance Committee consists of one full-time engineering faculty member; one full-time mathematics/science faculty member; one engineering student; one mathematics/science student and an Associate Dean of the College. The Associate Dean will act only to resolve indecision in the committee. The committee will prepare a short written report on its recommendations and the procedure used to reach them. The committee does not change grades. This is the instructor’s prerogative.

Step 5. Dean
If the student is dissatisfied with the recommendation of the committee or the response of the faculty member, he/she may appeal to the Dean.


Engineering Programs

UDM educates professional engineering leaders who are creative, inventive, innovative, and versatile in the areas of engineering design, development, research, and management. Engineering programs enable students to acquire a well developed engineering methodology which includes:

  • an orderly method of analytical thinking;
  • a thorough understanding of fundamental knowledge in science and mathematics;
  • an appreciation of the methodology of other disciplines;
  • a sensitivity to the connection between engineering and societal values;
  • an insight into creativity in design and general problem solving;
  • an ability to learn independently in order to continue to grow and keep abreast of expanding technology;
  • the self-confidence and ability to communicate effectively with others;
  • a philosophy of life that will enable them to enjoy the fruits of their labors, mature as educated persons, and provide for them a true identity as professionals in the field.

Engineering Core for Architectural, Civil, Mechanical, or Electrical Engineering Majors

CHM 1070 General Chemistry I 3
CHM 1100 General Chemistry Lab I 1 1
MTH 1410 Analytical Geometry/Calculus I 4
MTH 1420 Analytical Geometry/Calculus II 4
MTH 2410 Analytical Geometry/Calculus III 4
MTH 3720 Differential Equations with Linear Algebra 4
MTH 4270 Applied Probability and Statistics 3
PHY 1600 General Physics I 3
PHY 1610 General Physics Lab I 1
PHY 1620 General Physics II 3
PHY 1630 General Physics Lab II 1
ENGR 1000 Ethics and Politics of Engineering 2
ENGR 1050 Engineering Graphics and Design 2
ENGR 1070 Intermediate CADD (Not required for CE or AE) 2
ENGR 2040 Intro To Engineering Computing (EE take CSSE 1710) 3
ENGR 3000 Cooperative Education Preparation
ENGR 3010 Professional World of Work I 1
ENGR 3020 Professional World of Work II 1
ENGR 3030 Professional World of Work III 1
ENGR 3120 Statics 3
ENGR 3140 Fluid Mechanics I 3
ENGR 3150 Thermodynamics I 3
ENGR 3170 Science of Materials 3
ENGR 3200 Principles of Electrical Engineering 3
ENGR 3210 Principles of Electrical Engineering Lab 1
ENGR 3000 Cooperative Education Preparation 1
ENL 1310 Academic Writing 3
ENL 3030 Technical Writing 3
CST 1010 Fundamentals of Speech 3
PHL 1000 Introduction to Philosophy 3
University Core - Objective 4 6
University Core - Objective 5 9
Total: 84 Credits (* not required of Electrical Engineering students)

Electives - flexibility and focus

Students are permitted a choice of technical concentrations which allow the flexibility to focus their program on the areas of greatest interest, and to strengthen their job-seeking position and career potential.

The technical electives are selected from upper level courses in engineering, science, and mathematics; they must be approved by the student’s department. Level 1000 and 2000 courses may not be used as technical electives. Free electives may be selected from any of the University’s offerings above the 100 level. However, a lower level mathematics course may not be selected once a higher level course has been completed.

A suitable combination of technical elective courses, together with the possible addition of pertinent humanities and social science courses, allows the student to achieve expertise in important fields. Groups of courses are available for specialization in the following engineering areas:

  • Computer
  • Engineering Mechanics
  • Environmental
  • Geotechnical
  • Mechatronics Systems
  • Signal and Systems
  • Structures
  • Software
  • Transportation Engineering and Systems

Students should consult their departmental advisors, and the departmental program descriptions in this catalog, regarding the courses recommended for each of these areas.


Curricula leading to the degree of Bachelor of Civil Engineering, Bachelor of Electrical Engineering, and Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering are accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology. The Bachelor of Science with a major in chemistry is accredited by the American Chemical Society.

College of Business Administration

Home | Contacts | Policies | Programs | Website

College of Engineering & Science

Home | Contacts | Policies | Programs | Website

College of Health Professions & McAuley School of Nursing

Home | Contacts | Policies | Programs | Website

College of Liberal Arts & Education

Home | Contacts | Policies | Programs | Website

School of Architecture

Home | Contacts | Policies | Programs | Website

School of Dentistry

Home | Contacts | Policies | Programs | Website

School of Law

Home | Contacts | Policies | Programs | Website

For more information about UDM, or to apply online, go to www.udmercy.edu/apply.

Print Friendly Print-friendly