Social Security Number Change Process

A request to change your social security number must be made in person at the appropriate office.


You must update your social security card before you request a change to your University of Detroit Mercy records. For more information, and to locate the nearest Social Security Administration Office, click here.

  • Detroit Mercy Students who are not employed by the University of Detroit Mercy: Present your social security card and driver's license or other picture identification to the Registrar's Office at 4001 W. McNichols Road, Fisher Administrative Center, Garden level, FAC 90, (313) 993-3313.
  • Detroit Mercy Employees: Present your new social security card to Human Resources, 2nd floor of the Fisher Administration Center, (313) 993-1036. When you do this, Detroit Mercy will follow up with your medical carrier. However, you must contact TIAA/CREF separately to request the change.