Mission/Urban/Social Justice Team
Twelve-member team: one alum, two students, three administrative representatives (at least two of which should be representative of two of the following: the University Ministry, the Office of Mission and Identity, and the Institute for Leadership Development), one staff representative, one Law School representative, one Dental School representative, one faculty member selected by the MFA from among its members, and two faculty members elected by the McNichols faculty
Reports to the Provost/Vice President for Academic Affairs and through that office to other bodies as appropriate
3 faculty representatives
Carla Groh, Nursing, McAuley School of Nursing, College of Health Professions (term expires 3/2014)
Jeffe Boats, Mathematics & Computer Science, College of Engineering & Science (term expires 3/2015)
Steve Abell, Psychology, College of Liberal Arts & Education (term expires 3/2014) (MFA)
3 administrative representatives
Sr. Beth Ann Finster, SSJ, Assistant Director of University Ministry (term expires 8/2013)
Gary Kuleck, Dean, College of Engineering & Science (term expires 8/2014)
John Staudenmaier, SJ, Office of Mission and Identity (term expires 8/2014)
1 staff representative
Maria Campbell, Chairperson, Human Resource Advisor, Human Resources (term expires 8/2013)
1 Dental School representative
Juliette Niemi, Director, Student Affairs (term expires 8/2014)
1 Law School representative
David Koelsch (term expires 8/2014)
1 alum representative
Theresa Skora, Secretary (term expires 8/2014)
2 student representatives
Jasmine Davis (term expires 8/2013)
Rita Paulus (term expires 8/2014)
The chairperson of a Team and/or the administrator to whom the Team reports may add guests in an “Invited Participant” category. Individuals are invited because of their expertise, potential contributions, or history with the team but have no voting rights. The term of service for invited participants is not to exceed two years. Invited participants are not eligible for reappointment in this category. A team may not exceed three invited participants at any given time.
Tim Hipskind, S.J., Director - Service Learning, Institute for Leadership and Service (term expires 8/2013)
- Explore enriching global perspectives in Mission and Identity programs (1.4.3)
- Review the Implementation Grid for the University’s Strategic Plan and become familiar with those action steps related to Mission and Identity. If appropriate, provide or assistance if contacted.
- Create a short description of the Mission Vivere awards that can be read at the Convocation.
- Develop guidelines for the information that is provided for award recipients so that the qualities highlighted about the faculty or staff members aligns with the purpose of the award.
- Review major religious and ethnic groups represented on the three university campuses and make recommendations as to what religious holidays should be noted on the University/Academic calendar as well as college/school calendars if appropriate e.g. Eid, Hanukkah etc.
Note: Numbers indicate the corresponding 2012-2017 Strategic Plan action steps Click here to view
- Manage the call for, review of submitted nominees and selection of the awardees for the Mission Leadership Award, the Vivere ex Missione Award, and the Agere ex Missione Award.
- Develop means to foster the Jesuit and Mercy traditions through ongoing education and promotion of mission fulfillment.
- Review websites, contact colleagues, and review publication of other similarly situated universities to seek ideas to better promote the development of mission at UDM.
- Keep the university community informed of committee activities by providing summary minutes of meetings and reports to (sharedgovernance(at)udmercy.edu). Information will be posted to the shared governance website (udmercy.edu/governance). The secretary of the committee is responsible for these postings and for informing Campus Connections of new postings. If there is no secretary identified for the committee, a member should be selected who is responsible for this task.