Graduate Standards and Retention Committee
Seven-member Committee: two administrative non-voting representatives designated by the AVP, one faculty member selected by the MFA from among its members, and four elected representatives of the McNichols faculty. All five of the MFA and McNichols faculty representatives must be from departments with graduate programs.
5 faculty representatives
Omid Sabagghi, Business Administration, College of Business Administration (term expires 3/2017)
Mary Leona Serowoky, Chairperson, McAuley School of Nursing, College of Health Professions (term expires 3/2017)
Barry Dauphin, Psychology, College of Liberal Arts & Education (term expires 3/2018)
Sharla Fasko, Psychology, College of Liberal Arts & Education (term expires 3/2018)
Jennifer Ruel, Nursing, McAuley School of Nursing, College of Health Professions (term expires 3/2018)
Jocelyn Bennett-Garraway, Counseling, College of Liberal Arts & Education (term expires 3/2018) (MFA)
2 non-voting administrative representatives
Diane M. Praet, Associate Vice President and Registrar (term expires 3/2017)
Noah Resnick, School of Architecture (term expires 8/2017)
- Review proposals for graduate certificates.
- Review policy changes and proposals as they relate to graduate students.
- Meet/work with the Undergraduate Standards Committee when policies/issues that are being addressed apply to both undergraduate and graduate student populations and both committees have been assigned to review the same policy
- Develop a list of recommendations to enhance student life, student-faculty interaction and additional strategies or initiatives to support graduate students on the McNichols campus. Inform the provost/VPAA of the status of this charge.
- Review the following Action Steps and associated objectives and goals in the University Strategic Plan:
- Increase undergraduate and graduate enrollment by 10%.(2.2.1)
- Improve faculty and staff knowledge, understanding and implementation strategies that help students build self-efficacy. (2.4.3)
- Enhance the marketing strategy to target transfer graduate, and online students while expanding our mobile readiness for the entire website to maximize access to student and students to UDM. (2.5.3)
Identify sections, topics and links to be included in an eGraduate Resource Handbook (ex. Parking permits, ID cards, sexual harassment policy, etc.)
Establish procedures for keeping records of approved resolutions, determinations, advice, membership records and other actions.
- Keep the University community informed of committee activities by providing summary minutes of meetings and reports. The secretary of the committee is responsible for sending these documents to sharedgovernance(at)udmercy.edu.
Draft operational policies and procedures:
- define the committee's organizational structure (officers/leadership e.g., chairperson, secretary, and/or other positions) and the responsibilities of each position;
- frequency of meetings;
- timeline for preparation and approval of meeting minutes.
- Verify whether team's operational policy and procedures are consistent with practice. Submit your revised document to the Shared Governance Task Force at governancetaskforce(at)udmercy.edu by December 1 and also forward a copy to the MFA President Heather Hill-Vasquez at hillvahe(at)udmercy.edu. If there are no changes to be made notify the Task Force by the same date.
Note: Numbers indicate the corresponding 2012-2017 University Strategic Plan action steps Click here to view