Staff/Administrator Development Team
Seven-member team: three staff and four administrative representatives.
Reports to the Associate Vice President for Human Resources.
3 staff representatives
Elizabeth Boyar, Administrative Assistant, Office of the Dean, College of Health Professions (term expires 3/2018)
Lauri Moore, Administrative Assistant, Office of the Dean, School of Dentistry (term expires 3/2018)
Marvin Thomas, Clerk, Mail, Shipping, and Receiving (term expires 3/2018)
4 administrative representatives
Phyllis Chandler, Generalist, Office of Human Resources, (term expires 3/2017)
Julie La Tulip-Lazarevich, Manager, Helpdesk, Information Technology Services (term expires 3/2018)
Christina Socha, Administrative Assistant to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, Office of Academic Affairs (term expires 3/2018)
Stephanie Wheeler, Assistant Registrar, Law Student Services, School of Law (term expires 3/2018)
- Identify training or education programs targeted at employee’s professional development and make recommendations for presentations at Colleague Days or other appropriate events. If appropriate, identify speakers to conduct presentations on Customer/Student Service or other topics relevant to employee development.
- Provide ongoing reports to and consultation with the Associate Vice President for Human Resources.
- Coordinate and administer the nomination and selection process for the Commitment to Excellence Awards.
- Assign Team members to contact each college/school/unit of the University to encourage nominations for the Commitment to Excellence Awards.
- Continue to convey messages/announcements regarding topics of interest and “Did you know?” information to the University community.
- Establish procedures for keeping records of approved resolutions, determinations, advice, membership records and other actions.
- Keep the University community informed of team activities by providing summary minutes of meetings and reports for posting to the Shared Governance website. The secretary to the committee is responsible for sending these documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Verify whether team's operational policy and procedures are consistent with practice. Submit your revised document to the Shared Governance Task Force through the chairperson by December 1. If there are no changes to be made notify the SGTF chairperson by the same date.
Procedures and Guidelines
I. Reporting line: The Team reports to the Associate Vice President for Human Resources
When formal recommendations are made to the Associate Vice President for Human Resources (Associate VP/HR), the Associate VP/HR will inform the team of his/her decision or reaction to the proposal within 60 days. If the Associate VP/HR decides to take a course of action different from that recommended by the team, the Associate VP/HR will make him/herself available to explain to the team the reason for the contrary action.
II. Team MembershipA. Three staff representatives
B. Four administrative representatives
A. Chairperson1. The team may function either with a single Chairperson or Co-Chairperson to be chosen by the Team membership on an annual basis
2. Calls and conducts meetings for the Team
3. With the Team membership selects next meeting date at the end of each meeting
4. Develops meeting agendas and distributes at least five days before established meeting
5. Shares with the Team any issues identified by the Associate VP/HR
6. Provides recommendations and other actions to timelines established by the Associate VP/HR
B. Secretary1. Takes minutes of Team meetings
2. Abbreviates meeting minutes to one page for the University Archives within one week of meeting
3. Posts summary minutes and other documents online within one week of meeting (shared governance website)
4. Reports Team activities to Campus Connection as appropriate
5. Maintains record of approved resolutions, advice, membership records and other actions
6. Maintains roster of Team membership
IV. MeetingsA. Meetings will be scheduled for at least one per month
B. Meetings will last no less than one hour nor more than one and one half hours
C. A quorum of five team members will be required to deliberate and act on initiatives and resolutions
D. Meetings will operate under the principle of consensus unless a vote is requested
VI. DutiesA. Establish, in consultation with the Associate VP/HR, goals for the fiscal year
B. Deliberate and act on priority issues identified by the Associate VP/HR
C. Make recommendations regarding orientation for new staff and administrative employees
D. Make recommendations regarding professional development opportunities for staff
E. Propose training program from employees
F. Responsible for the development and designation of a staff award
G. At the end of each academic year, the Team will evaluate its progress toward achievement of established goals in an annual report to the Associate VP/HR
Revised and Approved
Shared Governance Task Force
Organizational Structure and Tasks
- Determine Team's organizational structure (officers/leadership e.g., chairperson, secretary, and/or other positions)
- Draft operational policies and procedures (e.g., frequency of meetings, who calls meetings), notification time for meetings (e.g., 10 days), time period for distribution of agenda (e.g., five days), timeline for preparation and approval of meeting minutes
- Establish procedures for keeping records of approved resolutions, advice, membership records and other actions.
- Draft general assessment process and goals for first year (to be updated annually).
- Include clear time limits for action on various issues as per paragraph 4 under "Further Details" of Shared Governance Task Force proposal approved by the university community.
- Deliberate and act on priority issues identified by the Associate Vice President for Human Resources.
- Provide Shared Governance Task Force with draft operational policies and procedures by December 1, 2005.
- Review new employee orientation programming and when appropriate make recommendations to the Department of Human Resources regarding the program.
- Make proposals regarding professional development opportunities for staff and forward to the Associate VP for Human Resources.
- Develop training or education programs targeted at employees targeted at professional development.
- Develop a schedule to convey messages/announcements regarding topics of interest and “Did you know?” information to the University community.
- Evaluate potential training or education programs targeted at employees for professional development.