Admissions, Costs & Academics

UDM is a "moderately selective" university according to most college guide books, admitting freshmen students who are "above average" in their high school record and ACT or SAT college test scores. Admission for transfer students is based primarily on an applicant’s record in previous college courses, a record which must demonstrate a strong probability of successfully completing the desired academic program listed on the application. For both freshmen and transfer students, special attention is paid to achievement in courses which relate closely to the intended area of study at UDM.


Admission to the University

Admissions Office: 100 Fisher Administrative Center
McNichols Campus
4001 West McNichols Road
P.O. Box 19900
Detroit, Michigan 48219-0900
Telephone: (313) 993-1245
Outside Metro Detroit: (800) 635-5020

A visit to campus is highly recommended. Visitors have an opportunity to discuss their academic plans with an admissions counselor and often are able to meet with students and faculty in the program they would like to enter. As a result, people who visit often have a much better idea of whether or not UDM is indeed the best place for them.

Admissions criteria differ depending on the educational goal at UDM and whether or not the applicant has had previous college experience. Most people will be reviewed either as freshmen (no previous college experience at all), transfers (previous enrollment at a community college or four-year institution), and international students (all applicants who are not US citizens or permanent residents). People enrolling for undergraduate courses who already hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university are considered "post-degree" students. Students enrolled at other colleges who wish to take UDM courses and transfer them back to their regular institution enroll as "guest" students. Details in each of these areas are provided below.

UDM is committed to equal educational opportunity in admissions regardless of age, sex, sexual preference, race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, handicap, military service, height, weight, marital status or political belief. UDM reserves the right to review the individual circumstances of applicants who have been convicted of criminal offenses.

To request information or make an appointment with an admissions counselor, call or e-mail the Admissions Office.

As a comprehensive urban university, UDM enrolls students of all ages in daytime, evening and Weekend College programs. Students over the age of 23, who have not previously attended college, are not required to take traditional college entrance exams for freshmen, but must submit high school transcripts and may be asked to complete academic placement tests as part of the admissions process to help them begin college work in the most appropriate courses.

Some academic programs are offered only during the regular daytime hours, while others are available evenings and daytimes and still others are available weekends, evenings and daytimes. After admission, students can enroll for classes during any time period, ensuring maximum scheduling flexibility.


Freshman Admissions

Recommended High School Preparation

High school graduates should complete a college preparatory program with a minimum of 16 units of credit. The recommended minimum distribution of these units includes: four units of college preparatory English, three units of mathematics, two units of history and/or social studies, two units of natural science including a laboratory course, and study in speech, foreign language, music, art, or other college prep subjects. For Engineering and Science and Premedical/Pre-Dental programs, four units of mathematics, one unit of chemistry and one unit of physics are strongly recommended. Nursing applicants should have one unit each of chemistry, biology and algebra.

In making an admissions decision, the overall strength of the high school courses completed is important. Applicants who have completed advanced placement and honors courses, for instance, are recognized for the special effort they have made to complete the strongest possible college prep program while in high school.

High schools students should call the Admissions Office at (313) 993-1245 to receive information about academic programs at UDM and procedures for submitting admissions applications. People who prefer to write should send their request to the Admissions Office, University of Detroit Mercy, P.O. Box 19900, Detroit, MI 48219-0900. An E-mail request ( will also bring the information by regular mail. Applicants should plan to submit their application through their high school college counseling office so that official transcripts, test scores, and comments by a counselor will arrive along with the application itself.

Deadlines for Freshmen Applications

Preferential treatment is given to applications completed prior to April 1 for the Fall or Summer Terms. Students who seek scholarships or other financial aid should apply for admission as early as possible, preferably by January 1. Freshmen who apply for January admission should plan to do so no later than December 1. Most applicants can expect to receive a decision within two or three weeks after their application and credentials are received.

Enrollment Confirmation

Accepted students are required to make a deposit to guarantee their place in freshmen classes. The deposit is credited to first semester tuition and fees.

ACT or SAT Results

Freshmen can submit the test scores most commonly taken by high school students in their home state and no preference is given to either ACT or SAT I. Students who would like to receive an admissions decision as soon as possible in the fall should plan to take their test in the second semester of their Junior year, but tests taken in the Senior year are also acceptable. The admissions process will move more quickly if test score results are sent directly to UDM by either ACT or SAT. To do this, simply list UDM as a test score recipient when the test is taken. The UDM code number for the ACT is 2060 and the code number for the SAT is 1835.

Advanced Placement Program

The University participates in the Advanced Placement Program (APP), a service of the College Board. Superior students may take one or more college-level courses while in high school. Students may obtain college credit and advanced standing (in most cases) for grades of three or higher on the APP examinations. Students planning to attend UDM should request that the results of the examination be sent to University of Detroit Mercy at the time of testing. Information on specific UDM course equivalences for APP examinations is available from the Admissions Office.


Transfer Student Admission

UDM welcomes applications from students who have begun their studies at community colleges or other four-year institutions. Admissions counselors who work only with transfer applicants provide information, advice and assistance for students considering transfer to UDM. While a 2.O G.P.A. in previous college work is considered the minimum acceptable for admission, many academic departments require a higher performance level of at least 2.5 in previous college work. As with high school applicants, individual academic programs may also require successful completion of specific courses. Applicants whose records otherwise make them eligible for admission may complete required courses at UDM and then seek entry directly to their desired program.

Recommended Preparation Before Transferring

Students planning in advance to transfer from community colleges should select courses which satisfy basic UDM core requirements and the requirements of the college, school or program in which they intend to enroll. Equivalency Guidelines, which list transferrable core courses, are available for many Michigan community colleges. Please contact the Admissions Office to request a copy for your community college. UDM’s Core Curriculum, which is required of all undergraduates, is described in more detail on page 93.The specific requirements of colleges and schools may be found in the "Schools and Colleges" section, starting on page 5.

Community College Articulation Agreements

Community colleges in the Detroit metropolitan area have designated liaison counselors to provide assistance to those students planning to enroll at UDM. These individuals are well qualified to provide guidance to students on UDM program requirements.

UDM has a number of "2 + 2’’ and "articulation agreements’’ with community colleges and other four-year institutions. Students enrolled in programs covered by such an agreement complete designated courses at their institution and are then assured of the transferability of all designated credits earned. Information on current agreements may be obtained from your community college counseling office or the UDM Admissions Office.

ACT or SAT Results

Results of ACT or SAT I testing are required of transfer students who have earned less than 24 semester or 36 quarter hours of credit at another accredited institution. Applicants 23 years of age or older need not submit test results.

Transcripts and Transfer of Credit

Transfer applicants must have official transcripts sent directly to the Admissions Office from each college previously attended. Applicants may not disregard attendance at any institution. A single transcript which reflects course work at two or more institutions is not adequate for admissions evaluation. High school transcripts are required of applicants who have earned less than 24 semester or 36 quarter hours of college credits.

Transcripts are evaluated and credit is granted for work satisfactorily completed at another accredited college or university if the work is equivalent in character and content to UDM courses. Only courses completed with a grade of "C’’ or better are considered for credit.

UDM accepts a maximum of 63 semester hours of credit transferred from a community college or 96 semester hours transferred from a four-year institution. In some cases, articulation or 2 + 2 agreements may specifically permit a limited number of hours in excess of the 63-hour maximum.

High school or college transcripts sent to UDM for admission application and/or transfer of credit evaluation are not given back to the student. These documents can be viewed as part of your academic file but we do not photocopy or reissue them.

Applications and Information for Transfer Students

Applications for admission and special publications for transfer students may be obtained by calling the Admissions Office at (313) 993-1245 or (800) 635-5020 or by writing to the Admissions Office, University of Detroit Mercy, P.O. Box 19900, Detroit, Michigan 48219-0900. An information request can also be made by E-mail

Application Deadlines

Students are encouraged to apply as early as possible. UDM cannot assure that admission decisions will be completed for transfer students whose files are incomplete as of August 1 for Term I (Fall), December 1 for Term II (Winter) or April 1 for Summer. Students who plan to seek scholarship and financial aid should apply at lease three months earlier than these admission deadlines to obtain the maximum assistance available.

Notification of Acceptance

Applicants are usually notified of an admissions decision within two weeks after their file is complete.


Special Admissions Program

University Advising and Academic Services (UAAS) in the College of Liberal Arts runs a limited special admission program (University College) for freshman and transfer students who do not meet regular admission requirements but who do show other potential for academic success. Students admitted into the University College program sign a contract agreeing to meet specific requirements such as weekly tutoring, completion of mandatory courses and regular advising sessions. Students may be referred for review by counselors for this program after initial evaluation of their files is completed in the Admissions Office.


International Student Admission


For undergraduate admission, students applying from foreign countries must present, as a minimum, evidence of having completed 12 years of primary and secondary school. In addition, they must have received the appropriate certificates enabling them to pursue university studies in their own countries.

Students from abroad who wish to be considered for graduate study must provide evidence of having been awarded the equivalent of the U.S. bachelor’s degree.

Students should complete the International Student Application rather than the one for U.S. students. These applications go to the following address:

International Admissions
University of Detroit Mercy
P.O. Box 19900
Detroit, MI 48219-0900

English Proficiency

Students from abroad take an English exam after they arrive. If they demonstrate a need for improvement in English proficiency, they are assigned to classes in the American Language and Culture Program (see below). The test is waived only for native speakers of English, those with degrees from English-speaking countries, and those with a computer-based TOEFL score of 250 (or a paper-based score of 600 with a TWE of 5). Previous enrollment in a language program or previous enrollment in a college or university without graduation is not sufficient for the testing requirement to be waived.

Enrollment in academic degree programs is not permitted until adequate English proficiency has been demonstrated and a signature from the American Language and Culture Program coordinator has been obtained. Students successfully completing the program will be able to undertake full-time academic studies, provided that they have been admitted to the academic program of their choice. Intermediate English students may elect one or two academic classes.

American Language and Culture Program

Students who are admitted to a University program but who are not able to establish sufficient English proficiency must enroll in appropriate American Language and Culture classes. Students may also apply to study only English.

Financial Support

Federal (U.S.) financial aid is not available to students from outside the United States. These students are expected to provide evidence of adequate financial support to cover all expenses. Forms for this purpose are available from International Services and are included in the International Student Application package.

The amount of funds required depends on a student’s field and level of study. Total annual expenses for the academic year range from $20,000 to $22,000. This total assumes enrollment for two academic terms. Specific expense information is in the application package available from the International Services Office.

Transfer Students

Students who hold a nonimmigrant visa need to have the transfer of school approved. All new transfer students should contact the International Services Office as soon as they arrive on campus.

Special Services

In addition to the orientation program held at the beginning of each term, the International Services Office offers two specialized courses for international students. American Studies (AL 400) offers new international students the opportunity to explore the American culture in greater depth. A special international student section of Career Education Preparation (CEC 300) provides international students with the skills necessary to conduct an effective job search campaign for a Co-op or Practical Training position related to their major field of study.


Post-Degree Admission

Applicants admitted as Post-Degree include students who have a bachelor’s or master’s degree and wish to complete undergraduate prerequisite courses to prepare for admission to a graduate program; plan to earn a second bachelor’s degree; and those seeking teacher certification. Post-Degree students follow the same application procedure as transfer students, but the only transcript required is from the undergraduate degree-granting institution. Admission and registration of Post-Degree students is subject to the availability of space in the program/course selected. Post-Degree students must maintain the same academic standards and meet the same class requirements and course prerequisites as other students.


Special Collegiate Admission

High school students (at the junior level or higher) may apply to enroll at UDM while working toward graduation at his/her high school. Students should complete and submit a UDM undergraduate admissions applications.

Special Collegiate students may take up to a total of 12 credit hours in courses subject to approval of their UDM advisor. Course work completed at UDM by a Special Collegiate student may count toward the high school diploma if approved by the student’s high school. This course work will be credited toward the UDM degree if they subsequently enroll as regular students and may be evaluated for credit toward a degree at other accredited post-secondary institutions.

If Special Collegiate students wish to enroll at UDM as a degree-seeking freshmen, they need to apply for Freshman Admission during their senior year of high school (or home schooled equivalent).


For Home Schooled Applicants

University of Detroit Mercy welcomes home schooled students to apply for admission. Applicants should submit either ACT or SAT I scores and documentation of their academic progress (and ultimately, documentation of their completion of high school) from their affiliated home schooling agency, local school district or State Department of Education. Once the Admissions Application has been received, the Admissions Office may contact the applicant to request additional information such as (but not limited to) portfolios, essays or writing samples and grading scale information.


Unclassified Admission

People who do not plan to pursue a degree program at UDM but wish to enroll in a limited number of credit classes for professional development may be admitted as Unclassified students. Unclassified students may "audit" (attend classes without receiving credit or a grade), however, tuition is at the same rate as regularly admitted students.

An admissions application must be submitted together with an employer recommendation or copy of professional licensure. Unclassified students are limited to two courses per term up to a maximum of 12 credit hours. Admission of Unclassified students and their continued registration in classes is limited based on the number of degree-seeking students in a program or course.


Guest Student Admission

Students enrolled at another college or university who wish to take a course or limited number of courses to transfer to their "home’’ institution may enroll as "guest students." Students apply for guest student admission by filing the Michigan Uniform Undergraduate Guest Application or a similar form from another state. Forms can be obtained from the registrar of any Michigan college or university. Guest applicants are not required to submit transcripts or test results, but must assure that the application is completed by the dean or registrar at the home institution. Guest students must have at least a 2.0 G.P.A. at their regular college or university as noted on the Uniform Application.

Guest student status is not continuous. A new application must be filed with the Registrar’s office for each term in which the student desires to enroll at UDM. Guest students are subject to the same academic standing policies as other UDM students. Failure to meet these standards may be cause for denial of future guest applications to UDM.



Readmission Process
Students who have not enrolled at UDM for two or more years, or those who have been dismissed and wish to seek readmission, need to submit an application for readmission. These students apply for readmission by completing a readmission application obtained from the Registrar’s office or from any of the college offices. Students who have completed college work at other institutions prior to applying for readmission to UDM will be expected to submit official transcripts from each college attended. Completed readmission applications should be sent to the appropriate college/ school within the University to which the student wishes to apply. Readmission is subject to the approval of the dean of the college.

Catalog of Entry
Students whose work at UDM is interrupted for less than two years retain the right to the requirements of their Catalog of entry if the program still exists. Readmitted students are not entitled to complete a program that is no longer offered by the University. Students who have not completed work at UDM for two years or more will have their previous work re-evaluated according to the requirements of the Catalog in effect at the point of readmission.

Transfer Option
After an absence of at least one year, students may request readmission under the Transfer Option. Under this option, students are treated as transfer students in computing their academic standing. This means that students may reenter with advanced standing but with no previously accumulated grade point average. When considering students’ academic history, no course with a grade of C- or below is counted in credits earned toward graduation.

Students may be readmitted under the transfer option only once, and are automatically considered to be on academic probation during the term of re-entry. Students readmitted under the transfer option will not be eligible to receive the repeated course option on subsequent course work.


Rights and Responsibilities in the College Admissions Process

UDM subscribes to the principles of good practice of the National Association of College Admissions Counselors (NACAC). According to these principles, applicants for admission have the right:

  1. To full information from colleges and universities concerning their admission and financial policies. Prior to applying, applicants should be fully informed of policies and procedures concerning application fees, deposits, refunds, housing and financial aid.
  2. To wait to respond to an offer of admission and/or financial aid until you have heard from all colleges and universities to which they have applied, or until May 1, whichever is earlier. This means that no college should require a non-refundable enrollment deposit before May 1. Applicants being asked to provide a non-refundable deposit before May 1 should ask the college requesting it for the name and address of a state representative of NACAC or contact the national NACAC office in Washington, D.C.

According to the NACAC principles, applicants have the responsibility:

1. To be aware of the admissions and financial aid policies of colleges and universities to which they apply for admission.
2. To complete and submit required material to colleges and universities.
3. To meet all application deadlines.
4. To follow college application procedures of the high school or college they are attending.
5. To notify the colleges and universities which have offered admission of their acceptance or rejection of their offer as soon as they have heard from all to which the applicant has applied or by May 1, whichever is earlier.


Scholarships & Financial Aid

The UDM Scholarship and Financial Aid Office helps students to meet their educational costs through access to a combination of UDM, federal and state programs designed to make the cost of attending a private university affordable to as many people as possible.

How much assistance is a person or family eligible for? The answer depends on the difference between the cost of a college or university and the family resources that should be contributed toward that cost. The expected family contribution (EFC) is determined according to a formula developed by the Federal Government and is the same no matter which institution a person attends. The cost will vary greatly among different colleges. At UDM, complete educational costs in the 2000-2001 academic year (tuition, room & board, books, fees, and allowances for living expenses) were just over $20,000.

Arriving at the EFC level takes into account not only annual family income, but also such things as the total number of children in the family and the number of family members attending college at the same time. In other words, no one should assume that financial assistance to attend a private university is unavailable until the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) has been completed and reviewed.

UDM also awards scholarships based on academic merit without regard to financial need, although everyone receiving a merit scholarship is expected to complete the FAFSA.

Financial aid awards from the Federal Government and the State of Michigan are subject to a student making satisfactory progress toward earning a degree according to the details of the Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) policy described below. The SAP requires students not only to maintain a satisfactory grade point average but also to successfully complete a minimum number of courses each academic year. The SAP for financial aid may differ from academic standards for continued enrollment in each UDM college. In other words, it is possible for students to lose financial aid eligibility but remain eligible to enroll at UDM.

The most important point about financial aid eligibility is simple: the more expensive the college, the more assistance in the form of scholarships, grants, and loans is available. For most UDM students, the real cost difference between attending a private university and public university is far less than the starting tuition costs.


How to Apply

The outline below is written for people new to UDM. After enrolling, it is necessary to apply for financial aid on an annual basis several months before the start of each new academic year.

Scholarship program requirements, benefits and numbers awarded were those in effect in the Fall of 2000 and may change from year to year. Both the Admissions Office and the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office can provide information about any changes that might be made.

First: Apply for admission at the UDM Admissions Office. Accepted students are automatically considered for UDM scholarships based on academic merit. These are described below.

Second: Complete and submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). On the form, request that a copy of the report be sent to University of Detroit Mercy (code 002323). Michigan residents should list University of Detroit Mercy as the first school on the FAFSA in order to be considered for a Michigan Tuition Grant or Competitive Scholarship. These programs are available only to residents attending a private college or university. Pay special attention to the questions regarding state of residence and date of residence on the FAFSA since these areas determine eligibility for programs funded by the state of Michigan.

Information about scholarships and financial aid is sent automatically to students when they first inquire about admission at the Admission Office. UDM admissions counselors are knowledgeable about financial aid programs and can answer most questions prospective students have. Questions can also be sent to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office, University of Detroit Mercy, P.O. Box 19900, Detroit, Michigan 48219-0900 or can be made by phone to (313) 993-3350, FAX (313) 993-3347 or E-mail


UDM Academic Awards

UDM rewards hardworking students who have the academic ability to succeed, regardless of their family’s income. That means all students who are regularly admissible to UDM and are planning to attend full-time are eligible for an academic award or scholarship that is renewable for four years. The amount is determined after reviewing the student’s academic GPA and ACT or SAT I scores.

Spiritus Scholarships
Our top academic scholars are designated as Spiritus Scholars and are eligible for a renewable academic award of at least $7,000 per year. Spiritus Scholars typically present credentials of a 3.5 GPA and a competitive ACT or SAT I score. Spiritus Scholarship students should apply by January 1.

Insignis Scholarships
Spiritus Scholars are invited to compete for one of 10 full tuition Insignis Scholarships. Interviews are conducted with faculty members from the University. Insignis candidates will also spend a night in our residence halls to experience all that UDM has to offer.

Jesse Slaton Memorial Scholarships
The Jesse Slaton Memorial Scholarship program was established for African-American freshman students by UDM alumni to honor the first African-American woman to graduate from the UDM School of Law.

The scholarship covers full tuition. To compete for this scholarship, students should have a competitive ACT or SAT I score and expect to graduate in the top 10 percent of their high school class. Jesse Slaton Scholarship students should apply for admission by January 1.

Benefactors Achievement Scholarships
Benefactors Scholars are students with above average academic credentials and are awarded a minimum renewable academic award of at least $5,000 per year. Benefactors Achievement Scholarship students should apply for admission by January 1.

Pastors Scholarship Program
This scholarship is for full-time freshman students who are members of Catholic parishes in the Archdiocese of Detroit. They will receive a one-time $500 freshman year scholarship. The student must submit a letter of recommendation on parish stationary from the parish pastor.

Theatre Scholarship
Full-time freshmen students pursuing a major in theatre may audition for a $1,000 theatre scholarship to complement their financial aid package. Students must be regularly admitted to the theatre program and be invited by the theatre faculty to audition during the winter semester.

Alumni Scholarships
Alumni Scholarships of $1,000 per year are awarded to full-time, dependent undergraduate students who have a parent who graduated from University of Detroit Mercy, University of Detroit or Mercy College of Detroit.

Canadian Students
Students graduating from a Canadian high school are eligible for UDM academic awards and/or scholarships. For more information, contact the Admissions Office at (800) 635-5020.

All UDM academic awards and scholarships are subject to change.


Academic Awards and Scholarships for Transfer Students

Academic Achievement Awards
All full-time transfer students with at least 24 credit hours and a GPA of 2.0 or higher will receive an academic award. Students with a GPA between 2.0 and 2.68, $1,000 per year; 2.7 to 3.29, $2,500 per year; 3.3 to 3.69, $3,500 per year; 3.7+, $5,000.

Community College Transfer Scholarships
If you are graduating from a community college with a 3.3 G.P.A. or higher, you may qualify for one of UDM’s transfer scholarships.

Jesuit Founders’ Scholarships for Full-Time Students
Up to 10 full-tuition scholarships are awarded each academic year. All other qualified candidates receive a $3,500 to $5,000 per year Academic Achievement Award. For consideration, applicants need a minimum 3.3 G.P.A. and an associate’s degree from an accredited community college. Students who have attended a four-year college or university after earning an associate’s degree are not eligible. The maximum scholarship period is four semesters of full-time study (averaging 15+ credit hours each semester) if the student maintains a 3.0 G.P.A. Summer terms are optional and are considered part of the four semesters covered. Competitors will be invited to an on-campus reception in June. Non-U.S. citizens and students with a previous bachelor’s degree are not eligible.

To qualify for the Jesuit Founders’ Schol-arship, applicants need to apply for admission by June 1 (for September enrollment) and participate in an on-campus scholarship event.

Mercy Founders’ Scholarships for Part-Time Students
An unlimited number of $600 per semester tuition awards are available for September or January entry. A minimum 3.3 G.P.A. and an associate’s degree from an accredited community college are also required. Applicants may not have attended a four-year institution after completing the associate’s degree. The maximum scholarship period is eight consecutive semesters of part-time study (6-11 credits per semester) if the student maintains a 3.0 G.P.A. Summer terms are optional and are considered part of the eight semesters covered. Non-U.S. citizens and students with previous bachelor’s degrees are not eligible.

Mercy Founders’ Scholarship students should apply for admission by August 1 for September enrollment and by December 1 for January enrollment.

Phi Theta Kappa Golden Key Scholarships for Full- and Part-time Students
Each academic year, at least two full-tuition scholarships are awarded to students who plan to attend UDM full-time. All other qualified candidates receive a $3,500 to $5,000 per-year Academic Achievement Award. All qualified part-time students receive a $700 per-semester tuition award. A minimum 3.3 G.P.A. and an associate’s degree from an accredited community college are also required. Applicants may not have attended a four-year institution after completing the associate’s degree. The maximum scholarship period for full-time students is four consecutive semesters of full-time study (15+ credit hours) if the student maintains a 3.0 G.P.A.; the maximum scholarship period for part-time students is eight consecutive semesters of part-time study (6-11 credit hours) if the student maintains a 3.0 G.P.A. Summer terms are optional and are considered part of the four semesters covered. Non-U.S. citizens and students with a previous bachelor’s degree are not eligible. Competitors will be invited to an on-campus reception in June.

To be considered for the PTK scholarship, full-time students must apply for admission by June 1 for September enrollment. Part-time candidates should apply for admission by August 1 for September enrollment and by December 1 for January enrollment.

Alumni Grant
Alumni Grants of $1,000 per year are awarded to full-time, dependent undergraduate transfer students who have a parent who graduated from University of Detroit Mercy, the University of Detroit or Mercy College of Detroit.

International Student Grant
UDM will offer a $2,000 academic award to any full-time undergraduate international student who transfers from another American institution (subject to change) to UDM.


Scholarships Offered by the Schools & Colleges

School of Architecture

AIA/AA Foundation Scholarship Program
This program granted through the American Institute of Architects provides scholarship opportunities to students in one of the last two years of a professional degree program. Based upon student population, this School is eligible to support two such scholarship applications.

AIA Minority Disadvantaged Scholarship Program
This program, granted through the American Institute of Architects, provides scholarships for students from minority/ disadvantaged backgrounds who would not otherwise have the opportunity to be enrolled in professional architectural studies.

Several other scholarships are available from funds donated in the memory of former students and faculty as well as from contributions from various architectural firms.


College of Engineering & Science

Chemistry Scholarships
Several tuition scholarships are available annually for Chemistry/Biochemistry majors.

Fuller Memorial Scholarship
A monetary award presented to sophomore Civil & Environmental Engineering students.

Suzanne Iott Memorial Scholarship
Competitive tuition scholarships awarded to a female engineering student with a minimum 3.5 G.P.A.

Other scholarships are available from corporations and engineering societies including General Motors Corporation, Michigan Society of Professional Engineers (MSPE), Society of Women Engineers (SWE), and Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE). Additionally, there are several scholarships available from funds donated by alumni and other supporters of the College. Please contact the E&S dean’s office for more information.


Financial Aid Programs Based on Need

This section includes programs and awards offered by the State of Michigan and the Federal government. Eligibility and funding may change annually for any program listed.


State of Michigan Programs

The Michigan Tuition Grant and Michigan Competitive Scholarship
The Michigan Tuition Grant Program provides financial assistance to students who are Michigan residents attending a qualifying private Michigan institution, including UDM. Students demonstrating financial need may be awarded grants up to $2,750 or more per year for up to five years of undergraduate study.

The Michigan Competitive Scholarship is awarded to approximately 6,000 Michigan freshman students each year and is renewable for up to four additional years. To qualify for the scholarship, students must complete the American College Test (ACT) with a high score. Students awarded the scholarship must demonstrate financial need and may receive up to $2,750 or more each academic year. The FAFSA must be received by the federal processor by February 21 preceding the academic year.

Both the Michigan Tuition Grant and the Michigan Competitive Scholarship are available annually to students who meet these requirements: U.S. citizenship or permanent residency status, Michigan residency, continuous residence in the State of Michigan for at least one full calendar year (beginning July 1 of the year prior to the year of application), demonstrated financial need, and satisfactory academic progress. Students may receive funds from only one of these programs each year.

The Michigan Adult Part-time Grant
The Michigan Adult Part-time Grant is a grant of up to $600 per year for high-need students who are returning to school on a part-time basis after an interruption of their education of at least two years. Grant applicants must register for a minimum of six and a maximum of 11 credit hours per year.


The Tuition Incentive Program

The Tuition Incentive Program (TIP) is available to Michigan residents who have graduated from high school or obtained a GED certificate within the past four years, are under the age of 20 at the time of high school graduation or GED completion, and meet state-determined income guidelines. Students may either be enrolled in an associate degree program at University of Detroit Mercy (TIP Phase I), or have completed their associate degree or at least 56 transferable credit hours with the assistance of the TIP program at another participating college or university. Students may contact the TIP program directly at 1-800-243-2847 for more information or an application.


Michigan College Work-Study Program

The Michigan College Work-Study Program enables students who qualify for financial aid to work on or off campus on a part-time basis while attending classes and to work full-time during semester breaks and during the summer. Students’ earnings may not exceed their financial need. Applications are available from the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office.


Insignis Scholarship

Spiritus Scholars are invited to visit campus and participate in a scholarship event. In addition to spending the night on campus in our residence halls and experiencing all that UDM has to offer, Spiritus Scholars will compete for one of up to 10 full-tuition Insignis Scholarships.


Federal Government Programs

The Pell Grant Program
The Pell Grant program provides the foundation for aid based upon demonstrated need for many students. Awards range from $400 to more than $3,750 for both full- and part-time students. Eligibility is determined by the following criteria: 1) U.S. citizenship or permanent residence with the intention to become a citizen; 2) enrollment as an undergraduate student without a previous bachelor’s degree, and 3) demonstrated need.

The SEOG Program
The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG) is a grant with awards ranging from $200 to $1,500 for undergraduate students enrolled on a full-time basis, 12-18 credits. An award of $100 for part-time undergraduate enrollment of 3-11 credits with Pell eligibility is also available. Eligibility is determined by the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office after a review of financial need.

Perkins Loans
Federal Carl Perkins Loans are available to full-time undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need. Repayment begins after graduation (or if a student enrolls for less than six credit hours) and may extend over a ten-year period. For new borrowers, there is a nine-month grace period before repayment begins. Interest accrues from the beginning of the repayment period at an annual rate of five percent (5%) on the unpaid balance. This program also provides for partial or total loan cancellation for borrowers who enter certain fields of teaching, law enforcement, and certain public service professions.

Nursing Student Loans
Nursing Student Loans are available to students pursuing a first bachelor’s degree in the Nursing program. Students eligible for this program will be awarded a Nursing Student Loan rather than Federal Carl Perkins loan. Repayment and interest rates parallel those of the Federal Carl Perkins loan. There are currently no cancellations available.

Federal Work-Study Program
The Federal Work-Study Program enables students who qualify for financial aid to work on or off campus on a part-time basis while attending classes. It may also be possible to work full-time during semester breaks and during the summer. Students’ earnings may not exceed their financial need. Applications are available from the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office.

Stafford Loans
The subsidized Federal Stafford Student Loan Program provides low interest loans to students through a lender such as a bank, savings and loan association, or credit union. Repayment of the loan begins six months after the student has graduated, or is enrolled for less than six credit hours. Loan interest is variable with an 8.25 percent cap. This interest is paid by the federal government ("subsidized"’) while the student is enrolled on at least a half-time basis.


Other Loan Programs

The unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loan Program is identical to the subsidized Federal Stafford Loan program above but is available to meet educational costs for anyone without regard to "need." Interest on the loan is not paid by the federal government while students are enrolled. Students can pay interest while enrolled or defer interest payment until regular repayment begins six months after the student graduates (or ceases being enrolled on at least a half-time basis).

The Federal PLUS (Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students) Program allows parents of dependent, undergraduate students to borrow up to the cost of attendance minus other financial aid to pay educational expenses. Loan approval is subject to credit approval. Interest on the Federal PLUS loan is variable with a nine percent interest rate cap, and repayment generally begins within 60 days of the disbursement of the loan. There is no grace period or interest subsidy on this loan.

The MI-Loan, which is an alternative student loan for students residing or attending school in Michigan, is a low-interest loan available to students, parents, or others who borrow on the student’s behalf. Both fixed- and variable-rate interest options are available. Students or co-borrowers must meet credit-worthiness standards set by the MI-Loan program. Payments become due within 45 days of disbursement, but payments may be deferred for up to five of the 25 years of the repayment period. Application packets are available from college financial aid offices and participating banks.

Many banks, savings and loan associations, credit unions, and other commercial lending institutions have special loan programs for students or parents of students attending college. Check with your local banking institution to see if it maintains an educational loan program.


Refunds to Financial Aid Programs

Students who withdraw or reduce their class load during the first four weeks of school (or within 60 percent of their first semester of attendance, for first-time attendees) may have their financial aid reduced in proportion to the refund policy cited in the Tuition Refund Policy section of this Catalog. Refunds to financial aid programs are based upon federally-mandated formulae.

Refunds to financial aid programs are allocated in this order:

1. Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans
2. Subsidized Federal Stafford Loans
3. Federal PLUS loans
4. Federal Carl Perkins Loans
5. Federal Pell Grants
6. Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants
7. Other federal Title IV assistance
8. Other federal, state, private, or institutional financial aid programs
9. The student

This allocation order is mandated by the Federal Government and would change if the present priorities are changed.


Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid Eligibility

In order for students to receive financial aid at UDM, they must maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) in accordance with the guidelines described here. The Federal and State governments mandate a SAP policy for all institutions disbursing their financial aid funds to students.


Satisfactory Academic Progress Requirements

To be eligible for financial aid funds administered by the Financial Aid Office, students must:

A. Enroll for a minimum of six (6) credit hours per semester.
B. Complete degree requirements in a specific number of years.
C. Complete a specific number of credit hours toward a degree each year.
D. Maintain good academic standing in a school or college.


Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Standards

Undergraduate Students

• Must earn a minimum grade point average (G.P.A.) of 2.0 during at least one of two semesters each academic year. Students with a G.P.A. of less than a 2.0 for the two combined semesters may be considered making satisfactory academic progress if the college in which the student enrolled accepts the lower grade point average.

• Must meet the minimum increment standards toward the completion of a degree as set forth below:

  1. Full-time students (those who register for at least 12 credit hours per semester) must complete a 126 credit-hour degree program by the end of the sixth academic year (12 full-time equivalent semesters). In addition, they must complete the minimum number of credit hours per year indicated below:


Academic Years Completed













Credit Hours Successfully Completed


Students enrolled in a program of study requiring more than 126 credit hours must complete a minimum of 26 credit hours each year beyond the sixth year. The only exception to this policy will be made for students requiring fewer than 26 hours to graduate.

2. Less than full-time students (those who register for 6-11 hours per semester) must complete a 126 credit-hour degree program in a maximum of 12 full-time equivalent semesters.

In addition, the incremental standards below must be met:


Academic Years Completed - 3/4 time



















Credit Hours Successfully Completed


Academic Years Completed - 1/2 time

























Credit Hours Successfully Completed


Students enrolled in a program of study requiring more than 126 credit hours must complete a minimum of 12 credit hours in each year beyond these. The only exception to this policy will be made for students requiring fewer than 12 hours to graduate. All students must complete their degree program within 150 percent of the normal time frame for degree completion, adjusted for the level of attendance (full-time, half-time, etc.).

In addition, at the end of the second year of attendance (calendar year regardless of the number of credit hours completed), the student must achieve a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or be making satisfactory progress toward a degree as specified by the school. Thus, students with a cumulative G.P.A. of less than a 2.0 may be considered to be making satisfactory academic progress if the college in which the student is enrolled accepts the lower grade point average. As this policy becomes effective, changes in the appeal process must also be made. Thus, when a student makes an appeal, he or she may also include evidence from the dean of the college or his or her representative which verifies that the student is making satisfactory academic progress within that college.

Treatment of Withdrawals, Incomplete, Repetitions, and Non-Credit Remedial Courses
For financial aid purposes, only grades of A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, D and P will be considered passing grades. Classes elected for audit and credits earned through testing are not considered when determining eligibility.

Grades of I, F, I/F and XF are considered non-passing grades. Grades of I, if changed to passing grades, are taken into consideration. A grade of "W" will be counted as attempted but will not be counted in the calculation of G.P.A., and will not be considered a course completed toward the incremental requirement.

Students who repeat a course during a semester must meet the grade point and increment standard for the year for continued eligibility for financial aid. Remedial courses are treated the same as all other courses.

Financial Aid Probation
Students receiving financial aid who fail to meet the SAP standards are placed on financial aid probation for one semester. While on probation, these students are considered to be be making satisfactory academic progress. First time financial aid applicants who do not meet SAP requirements are also placed on probation.

Students who do not meet SAP requirements are notified by letter after Term II (Winter semester) grades are posted. Along with the letter, students are sent a list of steps to complete to best ensure continued aid eligibility.

Appealing the Loss of Financial Aid Eligibility
Students denied financial aid because of failure to meet SAP requirements may appeal the denial in writing to the Financial Aid Office if there are mitigating circumstances. The appeal must describe in detail all circumstances relative to the student’s inability to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements. Students must submit letters of appeal, plus any supporting documents, by the end of the first week of classes (late registration week).

Regaining Financial Aid Eligibility
Students may regain academic eligibility for financial aid by meeting the SAP policy while not receiving aid from UDM. To do this, students must complete courses which are applicable to a UDM degree and must achieve the number of credit hours and/or GPA sufficient to meet the SAP policy.

To find out more about regaining financial aid eligibility, the student should contact a financial aid officer for assistance.

Academic Eligibility of Transfer Students
To evaluate academic progress for transfer students, the number of credit hours accepted by UDM determines the incremental completion requirements. For example, if a transfer student enters UDM with 36 credit hours, the student is expected to complete a minimum of 21 credit hours during the first year at the University as a full-time student, or 12 credit hours during the first year as a part-time student. These students, for instance, have completed two years in a full- time program or three years in a part-time program of study.


Veterans Benefits

UDM is recognized by the Michigan Department of Education to offer education and training for veterans. Eligibility for all benefits is determined solely by the Veterans Administration (VA). For more information contact the Office of the Registrar, Student Service Center or the Detroit Regional Office of the Veterans Administration.

All veterans receiving benefits must comply with the satisfactory progress policy. Specifically, all veterans receiving benefits must maintain an accumulated grade point average (G.P.A.) of 2.0 for undergraduate, law and dental and 3.0 for graduate programs.

A veteran who allows his/her accumulated G.P.A. to fall below these levels will be placed on probation. A veteran is allowed two semesters to bring his/her G.P.A. above these levels. If the veteran fails to do so, the VA will be notified of unsatisfactory progress and enrollment will not be certified. Certification may resume once the accumulated G.P.A. rises above the previously stated levels.

If a veteran receives a failing grade in or officially withdraws from any class(es), the veteran is obligated to report in writing to the Registrar’s Office the last date of attendance for such class(es). If the veteran fails to notify the Registrar’s Office in writing, the University will report the last date of attendance to the VA as the first day of class.

Veterans will not be certified for courses taken on an audit basis. At the time a recipient of VA benefits first requests certification for the Veteran’s Administration, the Registrar or Student Service Center will provide materials on current procedures. The student should review these materials carefully. In some cases, actions permitted by UDM may

result in a reduction or termination of the student’s benefits by the Veterans Administration under their regulations. Because academic advisors or deans may not be familiar with such regulations, the student is advised to consult the Office of the Registrar or the Student Service Center when registering, withdrawing, adding or discontinuing attendance.


Tuition and Fees 2001-2002*

*Tuition and fees are subject to change.

Undergraduate Tuition


Liberal Arts, Science, Business Administration, Dental Hygiene (non-clinical), Education & Human Services, Health Professions, Nursing, Study Abroad

Per credit, 1-11 credit hours

12-18 credit hours (flat rate per term)

19th and each additional credit hour






Engineering, Architecture

Per credit, 1-11 credit hours

12-18 credit hours (flat rate per term)

19th and each additional credit hour





Extended Campuses, per credit hour


Application Fees (Non-refundable)




International Student




Residency Fees (Per term)


East, North, South Quads

Holden Hall/Shiple

West Quad




*Local telephone and cable service included.

All resident students, except West Quad and Holden Hall residents are required to take a board plan. Single occupancy is subject to availability.

2001-2002 Meal Plan


12 Meal/6 Meal equivalences/$50 DB

9 Meal/4 Meal equivalences/$200 DB

5 Meal/No Meal equivalences/$350 DB

500 DB (co-op students)





Miscellaneous Fees


Registration Fee (Non-Refundable) Full-Time/Part-Time

Late Payment Fee

Late Registration Fee

Student Orientation Fee


Duplicate Diploma or Certificate Fee

Cooperative Training Credit (alternating)

Cooperative Training Credit (parallel)

Co-op Portfolio Evaluation Fee

I.D. Card Replacement

Beginning English/Intensive English (Per Course)

Intermediate & Advanced English (Per Course)

English Proficiency Testing Fee (Non-UDM Students)

Graduation Fee (Includes Cap and Gown)















2001-2002 Payment Plans

Payment Methods

• Cash, check or money order
• Charge card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover). Remember to enter your account number on the back of your student account statement.

Payment Options

• Pay the balance in full and avoid any additional fees.
• Enroll in Tuition Management Systems’ Interest-Free Monthly Payment Option and pay according to the schedule below.
• Employer billing authorization form.
• Complete a tuition reimbursement waiver.

When paying in full, mail the appropriate payment to be received one week before classes begin, or pay in person anytime up to the first day of classes.

Tuition Management Systems’ Interest-Free Monthly Payment Option

The Interest-Free Monthly Payment Option which allows you to maximize your savings to income by spreading your education expenses over 10 or nine interest-free monthly payments for the academic year, or 5 or 4 interest-free monthly payments per semester. These convenient options eliminate larger annual or semester payments. Your only cost is a $50 enrollment fee for the full year, or a $35 fee for one semester only. Education payment life insurance is optional. You have toll-free access to knowledgeable and friendly education payment counselors six days a week and automated account access every hour of every day.

The University of Detroit Mercy offers these services in partnership with Tuition Management Systems, the nation’s number one provider of education payment services.

Choose either an Annual Plan or a Semester Plan and select a payment schedule offered under the plan. Enroll over the telephone by dialing 1-800-722-4867.

Annual Plan Schedule (select one)
• 10 interest-free monthly payments paid from August 1 - May 1.
• Nine interest-free monthly payments paid from September 1 - May 1.

Semester Plan
• Five interest-free monthly payments
• Four interest-free monthly payments

To learn more about the Tuition Management Systems, visit their website at: or e-mail:


Tuition Refund Policy

General Information

Academic and financial obligations for a course or service in which a student is registered are modified only by an official withdrawal from the course or service. The official academic withdrawal must be completed in writing on the appropriate form available in the office of the dean or director of the college in which the student is registered. The official date of withdrawal will be the date on which written notice of withdrawal is received by the office of the dean or director. In those cases where the office is closed before the end of the withdrawal day, those forms received by 9:00 a.m. the following day will be accepted.

Refunds will be first applied to any financial aid received by the student and then to the indebtedness he/she has with the University.

Refund schedules are published in the Schedule of Classes each term. Refund schedules are also available in the Bursar’s Office, Student Service Center, Registrar’s Office and from the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office.

Co-op Students

Co-op students who must withdraw from classes, services, or school because they received notification of their employment after registration will be granted a total refund upon approval of the dean of the Cooperative Education and Career Center.

Refund Variance Committee

Should a student be unable to complete the withdrawal process within the appropriate time limitation because of circumstances beyond his/her control, he/she may appeal the refund decision in writing to the Variance Committee through the Office of the Bursar (academic) or Office of the Residence Hall Director (dorm and food services).

Financial Aid Recipients

First-time registrants who receive federal financial aid are subject to a pro-rata refund policy. This policy mandates that students who completely withdraw from classes during the first 60% of the first semester be given a pro-rata refund. Students who fall under this policy may be subject to an administrative fee of $100 or 10% of their charges, whichever is less.

Returning students who receive federal financial aid are subject to a separate federally-mandated refund policy should they completely withdraw from classes. This policy was designed to give students a "fair and equitable’’ refund.

Details of both these policies, as well as the institutional refund policy for partial withdrawals, are available from the Scholarship and Financial Aid, Registrar, Bursar, and Student Service Center offices.

Residence Halls Cancellation Policy

A student who wishes to cancel his/her residence hall agreement must do so in writing at least 30 days prior to the first day of classes for each term. If a student terminates the agreement 29 days or less prior to the first day of classes of each term, he/she will be subject to a $100.00 cancellation charge. The student who cancels this agreement after the first day of classes of the term or after picking up his or her room keys will be charged a $250.00 cancellation fee.

In the event of withdrawal from the University, residence hall refunds are subject to a pro-rata assessment fee for the period of occupancy. The effective termination date will be that day upon which all of the following have been accomplished:

1. The student has cancelled in writing.
2. The student has moved all belongings from the room.
3. The student has completed all check-out procedures specified in the Resident Student Handbook.
4. The room key has been surrendered to the Residence Life staff.

Meal Plan Refunds

Students who totally withdraw from the University will be refunded for the food plan on a pro-rata assessment basis for the period of use.

Late Payment Fee

Students who do not pay their tuition and fees or arrange for payment of fees by the first day of class will be assessed a late payment fee.

Late Registration Fee

Students who register for class after the last day for registration may be charged a $50 late registration fee. Students are encouraged to register early to avoid this fee.

Service Charge

A service charge of 1.5 percent of the outstanding balance is assessed beginning the last month of the term until the debt is paid in full.

Collection Activity Timetables

Should a student not return to classes the following term, a collection notice is sent (approximately the second month of the new term) advising the student that an outstanding tuition account balance is due to the University. This balance must be paid to avoid the account being forwarded to a collection agency. The account is assigned to a collection agency approximately 30 days after notification to the former student that his/her account is past due.


Academic Information & Procedures

Students are responsible and accountable for knowledge of the requirements, procedures and regulations set forth in the Catalog. Advisors, counselors, faculty and administrative staff may assist students by explaining requirements and procedures in individual instances. However, the ultimate responsibility for compliance with procedures and requirements rests with the student.


Role of the Academic Advisor

The academic advisor is a central figure in the development of the student’s academic program at UDM. Students must consult with and obtain the approval of an academic advisor in the development of their schedules for each term, when changing courses (adding or dropping), for clarification of academic policies and procedures and when contemplating changes in their major program or curriculum.

Advisor Assignment

Advisors are drawn from the full-time faculty, administrative personnel in the offices of the college or school dean, and the professional staff of academic support service programs. First year full-time students are assigned an academic advisor as part of the orientation program. Transfer, adult and part-time advisors have been designated for freshmen, special admission students, undecided students, and returning students. These advisors ordinarily work with students for one or two terms. When the student declares and is accepted into a major, a new advisor in that discipline will usually be assigned.

A good advising relationship requires that both the student and the advisor be comfortable with each other. Students who are uncomfortable or dissatisfied with their advising relationship may request a change of advisor.

Student Problems
Students should consult the advisor when they experience problems at UDM. The academic advisor is well equipped to refer the student to the most appropriate campus resources. Students experiencing personal difficulties, whether related to the University or not, are encouraged to make use of the counseling services offered by Personal Counseling, Student Development, University Ministry, the Psychology Clinic, Cooperative Education and Career Center or University Advising and Academic Services. Trained counselors in these offices may provide direct assistance to the student or referral to more specialized help.


Classification of Students

Class Standing
Undergraduate students are classified based upon the number of credit hours earned. Freshmen are those students who have earned up to 31 credit hours. Sophomores are those students who have earned between 32 and 62 credit hours. Juniors are those undergraduates who have 63 through 94 earned hours. Seniors are those students with 95 or more earned credit hours. In some colleges or schools class standing may be conditioned on the completion of certain course requirements or successful progress through the curriculum in addition to the earned hour requirement.

Full-Time Student
To be classified as a full-time student, one must register for a minimum of 12 credit hours per term. Students employed on a cooperative training assignment are considered full-time students during the period in which they are employed full-time. Students on parallel (half-time) cooperative training assignments must be registered for a minimum of six credit hours in addition to their training assignment to be classified as full-time students.

Full-time students who drop below 12 hours during a semester may jeopardize their financial aid. See "Satisfactory Academic Progress"elsewhere in this Catalog.

Part-Time Student
Students are classified as part-time when they register for up to 11 credit hours per term.


Undergraduate Grading System


The following grades are used in reporting students academic performance:


Quality Points























C- 1



D+ 1









P 2



I 3



I/F 3









XF 5


Failure to Withdraw

1. In some programs a grade of C-, D+ or D in a required or prerequisite course may not earn credit toward graduation.
2. The grade of P earns credit but is not counted in the calculation of the Quality Point Average
3. The grade of I is temporary, see the section on Incomplete. An I grade changed to an F is recorded as an I/F.
4. An AUD earns no credit and is not included in the calculation of the G.P.A.
5. An XF is assigned when a student fails to withdraw from a course. An XF is calculated as an F in the G.P.A.


Grade Reports
A report of the student’s academic progress and performance is prepared at the end of each term. This report indicates the student’s progress and performance for the term and a cumulative summary of the student’s academic standing. These grade reports are mailed to the student. Midterm grade reports are also prepared for undergraduate students. Midterm reports do not become part of a student’s permanent record.

The permanent, official record of a student’s academic performance and progress is maintained by the Office of the Registrar. A transcript contains all essential academic data such as: dates of attendance, courses taken, credits and grades awarded, degrees received. It may also contain information related to the student’s status at the institution. Requests for official copies of transcripts can be ordered by phone if charged to a major credit card or can be made in writing. Transcripts are $5.00 per copy. A 48-hour notice is required.

All official transcripts bear the college seal, date and the registrar’s signature. Transcripts issued directly to the student will be noted as "Issued to Student."

Pass-Fail Grading
UDM permits students to enroll in a limited number of courses on a modified pass-fail basis. This opportunity is provided to encourage students to explore challenging elective courses they might not otherwise select. The final grade for a course taken pass-fail may be P or F. Grades A, A-, B+, B, B-, C+, C, C-, D+, and D are converted to P (pass). Hours earned with a grade of P count toward graduation, but a P does not enter into the calculation of the student’s quality point average. A final grade of F is treated in the same manner as in those courses which are not taken pass-fail.

Election of the pass-fail option requires the approval of the student’s academic advisor or dean. The option is limited to elective courses. Other requirements and restrictions regarding the use of the pass-fail option will be determined by the college/school in which the student’s major resides. Pass-fail election forms are available from the dean of the student’s college and must be filed with the registrar. The deadline for election of pass-fail is published in the academic calendar and typically falls during the second week of classes. No pass-fail elections may be accepted after the deadline nor may the election be withdrawn after submission to the registrar.

It is the student’s responsibility to initiate the request for a grade of incomplete from the instructor. A petition for a grade of "I" is required and may be approved or disapproved at the discretion of the instructor. This grade is only appropriate at the end of the term when the majority of the course work is completed but for serious reason the student is unable to complete the remaining course requirements. If the instructor feels the awarding of an "I" is justified, she/he fills out an Incomplete Grade Petition reflecting the individual work to be completed and the due dates of that work. Both student and instructor sign the form. If the student does not complete the required work eight weeks after the end of the semester, the "I" grade is automatically changed to an "I/F".

The deadline for completing an "I" grade may be extended at the discretion of the instructor of the course, the dean of the college in which the course was taught, and the dean of the student’s college/school. The deadline for each semester is published in the Schedule of Classes.

Students who wish to audit a class must register for the course on a audit basis. There is no grade or credit earned for the course but it does appear on the student’s official transcript as an audit. Courses taken on an audit basis do not meet degree requirements. Normal tuition and fees apply for those who wish to audit a course.

Students who register for credit and wish to change to audit must make the change by the end of the add/drop period for that semester. Students who enroll on an audit basis cannot change to earn credit for that course.

Grade Point Average
The grade point average (G.P.A.), sometimes referred to as "quality point average (Q.P.A.)," is used to describe the general level of a student’s academic performance at UDM. Grade points are assigned for each grade. The number of grade points earned in a particular course is determined by multiplying the grade points assigned to the grade given, by the number of credit hours for the course. For example, a grade of C in a three credit course earns 6 grade points (2 x 3 = 6).

A grade point average is calculated by dividing the sum of the grade points earned by the number of credit hours attempted. Grades of W, I, and P do not affect a student’s G.P.A. Grades earned at other institutions and transferred to UDM are not used in the calculation of the G.P.A. unless they are earned through a consortium arrangement. Students considering a transfer within UDM should consult with the dean of the college which they plan to enter to determine the courses which will or will not transfer. The grade report prepared at the end of each term indicates both the student’s cumulative G.P.A. (based upon all courses attempted and grade points earned) and the G.P.A. achieved for that particular term.

Repeated Course Option
A student may register for a course in which he or she has already received a low passing grade or an F. Both grades are normally included in the calculation of the quality point average. Some colleges modify this repeat rule to permit a limited number of courses (not to exceed four) to be repeated with the latest grade used in the calculation of the quality point average. Not all courses qualify for the automatic repeat course option. Contact your dean’s office for information on repeated courses. Both grades always remain on the transcript. Credit toward graduation is earned only on the basis of the grade in the last registration.

Grade Grievances
In some instances a student may believe that the final grade received in a particular course is unjustified. In such cases the student may choose to appeal the grade received. Each college or school has published written grievance procedures which must be followed. A copy of this procedure should be obtained from the dean of the college offering the course. In general, students are advised to consult with the instructor concerned prior to beginning the appeals process. All appeals should be filed in a timely manner, preferably within 30 days after the grade report is received. The decision of the college/school dean is final. Appeals to the vice president for Academic Affairs will be considered only on procedural grounds.


Experiential Learning Credit

UDM is well aware that many students who wish to pursue a degree bring with them a wide range of learning experiences which they have acquired in their adult life; experiences which have contributed to their personal, professional and academic development. Some of these experiences may have resulted in significant "college-level learning" which is similar in nature and content to the disciplines included in their degree program. In order to effectively serve the learning needs of adult students who have acquired significant college-level knowledge outside of the traditional classroom, the University has established a set of guidelines to be used in awarding "experiential learning" credit which can be applied toward degree requirements.

The focus of the experiential learning program is to identify and verify specific learning outcomes which are judged to be comparable to the learning outcomes achieved in the discipline awarding the credit for learning. It should be understood that although professional work experience is considered valuable, University credit can only be awarded for specific learning acquired through experience, and not for the experience alone.

Fees may be charged for development, evaluation, and in some cases, for the administration of the assessment. For more information regarding experiential learning credit, contact the Experiential Learning coordinator in the University Advising and Academic Services Office, Briggs 17, McNichols Campus, (313) 993-1143.

General Limitations

The maximum number of credits UDM will award for experiential learning toward a bachelor’s degree is 63 credits; no more than 30 credits may be achieved through portfolio development. The maximum number of credits UDM will award for experiential learning toward an associate degree is 15 credits; no more than eight credits may be achieved through portfolio development. Credit earned through portfolio development cannot be applied to any part of the residency requirement.


The evaluation of the competence level of the experiential learning, including a credit recommendation, is made by the faculty in the relevant discipline. Final determination is the responsibility of the dean of the college or school reviewing documentation of the learning. The awarding of credit is made subject to the requirements of the student’s academic program.


Experiential Learning Options

College Level Examination Program

CLEP is a standardized testing program that allows individuals to gain credit for knowledge obtained in a given subject. UDM will award credit for any CLEP exam for which a student has achieved a score of 50 or higher. CLEP exams are administered only to UDM students on a monthly basis. Contact University Advising and Academic Services for more information, McNichols Campus (313) 993-1143 or Outer Drive Campus (313) 993-6016.

Portfolio Development

UDM awards credit through the assessment of individual portfolios. Students must start the portfolio process and attend a portfolio development workshop within their first two semesters at the University. These workshops are offered each semester. Students interested in earning credit through portfolio development should discuss this option with their college experiential learning coordinator, or contact the Experiential Learning coordinator in the University Advising and Academic Services Office, Briggs 17, McNichols Campus, (313) 993-1143.

Defense Activity for Nontraditional Education Support (DANTES)

DANTES administers CLEP exams and DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSSTs) to individuals affiliated with the military. CLEP exams taken through DANTES are accepted by the University if the student achieves a score at the 50th percentile or higher. The acceptance of subject exams as a basis for credits is at the discretion of the discipline and the College/School.

National League for Nursing (NLN) Mobility profile I & II Exams and Achievement Tests

UDM awards up to 63 credits for successful completion of the NLN Profile I and II Mobility Exams, NLN Achievement tests and CLEP, to LPN, ADN or diploma nurses who wish to pursue the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree. The McAuley School of Nursing will indicate the minimum passing score for NLN exams, and the amount of credit to be awarded.

American College Testing Proficiency Examination Program (ACT-PEP)

ACT-PEP, similar to the CLEP program, is an examination program with 45 exams in all, which gives students the opportunity to demonstrate knowledge in specific occupational fields, such as Nursing, Business, Education, and Criminal Justice. ACT-PEP tests are administered six times annually at testing centers throughout the nation and four times a year through the UDM University Advising and Academic Services Office. The University accepts the results of the ACT-PEP exams for awarding credit. The relevant college/school and disciplines will indicate the minimum passing score for the exams.

American Council on Education Program on Noncollegiate Sponsored Instruction (ACE-PONSI)

This program evaluates non-credit, job-related courses sponsored by over 120 organizations in business and industry (including IBM, AT&T, CBS and the Postal Service) and recommends college credit for students who take such courses. The University accepts the recommendations of ACE-PONSI as a basis for awarding credit. The relevant college/school and discipline will determine the credit to be awarded.

American Council on Education Military Evaluation Program (ACE-Military Evaluation Program)

This program evaluates courses and on-the-job training offered by the Armed Services and the Department of Defense. The recommendations are published every two years by ACE in the "Guide to Evaluation of Education Experience in the Armed Services" which is used by UDM as a source for awarding credits. The relevant college/ school and discipline will determine the credit to be awarded. A copy of the guide is kept in the Office of the Registrar for reference.

Discipline Generated Examinations

With the approval of the Dean of the College/School, the University Experiential Learning Coordinator may request a discipline generated examination to assess the college-level competency of a student. Successful completion of the examination is determined by the discipline faculty. Discipline-generated examinations generally will not be requested for any subject which is offered through other standardized testing programs, such as CLEP.

Other Experiential Learning Options

Students entering UDM with significant work experience may apply for Co-op Portfolio Credit. (see the co-op section of this catalog for further details).

With the approval of the dean of the student’s college or school, UDM may award credit for state sponsored certification or licensing. Six credits (6) may be awarded for documented completion of the Police Academy program. Credit may be awarded for military service documented by a DD214 and an "Honorable Discharge" (one credit for every six months of service, up to a maximum of four credits).


Academic Standards

The academic deans monitor the records of students enrolled in the colleges/schools to assure that reasonable progress is being made toward the students’ educational objectives. Student records are reviewed at the end of each term. The review may encompass the student’s cumulative, major and term grade point average, the student’s progress in the courses required by his/her curriculum, the number of credits for which the student registered and actually completed, and any patterns of repeated withdrawals or incomplete work. Based upon this review the dean may place the student on the Dean’s List (for excellence), note that the student is in Good Standing, give him/her an academic warning, place the student on probation, give him/her an academic warning or dismiss the student from the college/school for poor scholarship.

Dean’s List
Dean’s List recognition is granted to those students who achieve a level of academic excellence in a particular term. Full-time undergraduates who earn a minimum of 12 credit hours with a quality point average of 3.25 or better in a term are on the Dean’s List for that term. Students registered as part-time must meet the same G.P.A. requirements for a minimum of six earned hours.

Academic Warning
Students will be warned whenever the term G.P.A. falls below 2.00. Such warning enables students to take early corrective action concerning their academic performance.

Academic Probation
Students are placed on academic probation when it appears that their performance places their academic objectives in jeopardy.

Students will be automatically placed on academic probation when the cumulative G.P.A. falls below 2.00. Individual programs, colleges, or schools may establish additional criteria for placing a student on probation. A student who fails to raise the cumulative average to at least 2.0, or satisfy the additional program/school criteria, in the following term is subject to dismissal for poor scholarship.

When a student has been placed on academic probation, a dean may, as his/her discretion, establish specific requirements or conditions that the student must meet. The dean may require the student to enroll in particular courses, repeat courses, establish minimum or maximum number of credit hours to be attempted or earned, require a specific minimum G.P.A. for the next term, require the student to consult a counselor or tutor, or engage in supervised study, etc. Failure to meet such conditions, when established, may lead to academic dismissal.

Undergraduates who are on academic probation have the privilege of applying for admission to another college/school within the University. If accepted by the college/school, the student will retain the "academic probation" status until an evaluation of his/her record indicates that a change in status is appropriate.

Academic Dismissal
Students may be dismissed from the college/school in which they are enrolled as a result of poor academic performance. Students are automatically subject to dismissal the second consecutive term the cumulative average falls below 2.00. Dismissal may occur when a student has not achieved a 2.00 cumulative quality point average in the term following one in which he/she was placed on probation, when terms or conditions established for probation have not been met, or when the academic record reflects poor performance.

Students who wish to appeal an academic dismissal should contact the dean’s office immediately upon their receipt of notice that they have been dismissed. If first contact is made by telephone or in person, it should be immediately followed by a written statement of their intent to appeal the dismissal. Each college or school has specific procedures which govern appeals of an academic dismissal. These procedures will be explained to the student when requested.

In general, students dismissed for poor scholarship will not be considered for readmission until after the lapse of at least one term. Dismissal for poor scholarship is entered upon the student’s permanent academic record.

Satisfactory Academic Progress
Students receiving financial aid are expected to meet specific academic requirements. See the "Satisfactory Academic Progress" section on
page 272.


Academic Integrity

As members of an academic community engaged in the pursuit of truth and with a special concern for values, students are expected to conform to a high standard of honesty and integrity in their academic work. The fundamental assumption under which the University operates is that work submitted by a student is a product of his/her own efforts.

Among the most serious academic offenses is plagiarism, submitting the style of another author or source without acknowledgement or formal documentation. Plagiarism occurs when specific phrases or entire passages, whether a sentence, paragraph or longer excerpt, are incorporated into one’s own writing without quotation marks or documentation. One also plagiarizes by paraphrasing the work of another, that is, retaining another writer’s ideas and structure without documentation.

Students are advised always to set off another writer’s exact words by quotation marks, with appropriate references. Students avoid plagiarism by concentrating on their own words and ideas and by fully crediting others’ words and ideas when they find their way into the writing. Whenever in doubt, cite the source.

Students who purchase essays from other students or agencies or who copy from one another or from prohibited sources, commit the most serious type of academic dishonesty.

The consequences of plagiarism, or any act of academic dishonesty, may range from failure in a course to dismissal from the University.


Registering for Classes
Specific and current information on the policies, procedures, dates and deadlines governing class registration is provided in the Schedule of Classes published prior to each term. Copies of the Schedule of Classes may be obtained from the college offices or Registrar’s Office. They are also available on the University’s website at

Registration begins when students meet with their academic advisors to select the courses they wish to take the following term. The process is completed by reserving places in the selected course sections and paying tuition and fees for the following term. Schedules for this process vary term to term and are printed in the Schedule of Classes. Special fees are assessed for late registration.

Entering full-time freshmen begin the registration process during the freshman orientation periods held each summer. Entering part-time and transfer students receive letters from their college office indicating the procedures they should follow.

Changes in Registration
Registered students may change course registration by completing Change of Registration forms available in the college office and by obtaining the appropriate signatures. To be official, completed Change of Registration forms must be filed with the Registrar’s Office on the McNichols Campus or Student Service Center on the Outer Drive Campus within one week of obtaining the signatures. The last date to add or drop a course is published in the Schedule of Classes each semester.

Students should be aware that any change which affects a student’s status as full- or part-time may have an impact on his/her financial obligations, financial aid and/or visa status.

Important dates pertaining to all changes in registration are listed in each term’s Schedule of Classes.

Withdrawing from a Course
Students may drop a course from their schedule by obtaining the signatures required by their college on the "Change of Registration" form and filing that form in the Registrar’s Office on the McNichols Campus or the Student Service Center on the Outer Drive Campus.

If a course is dropped during the first 25 percent of the course, no record of enrollment for the individual course will appear on the student’s transcript.

Students who officially withdraw during the middle 50 percent of the course will receive a grade of W. The course remains on the student’s grade report and transcript with a W, but will not be counted in hours attempted or in the computation of a student’s quality point average. Students may not withdraw during the last 25 percent of the course unless they have received approval from their dean. No withdrawal may be processed after the end of the class.

An "unofficial withdrawal" (Change of Registration form not filed and student stops attending class) is not recognized and will result in the assignment of a permanent grade of XF. If a student is unable to complete any of his/her classes and is physically unable to come to campus to file the Change of Registration, a letter to this effect should be sent by the student to his/her dean prior to the withdrawal deadline.

Forced Withdrawal
In some cases a "Change of Registration" may be initiated by the University to remove a student from a class (or classes) in which he/she is registered. This action may be taken when a student has failed to follow the procedures, regulations or requirements of the University, school or college, or when the student has gained registration in a particular class or classes by misrepresentation. When such actions are taken, the course instructor and the student are notified.

Repeated Withdrawal
Students who repeatedly withdraw from all of their classes may be denied permission to register for future semesters. Repeated withdrawals in two successive semesters or in any three non-consecutive semesters will result in a written warning unless the withdrawals are a result of circumstances beyond the student’s control. Should such withdrawal occur again, the student will be denied permission for future registration.



The University participates in a program where students and programs are exchanged with the other members of the Detroit Area Catholic Higher Education Consortium, which include Madonna University, Marygrove College, Sacred Heart Seminary and St. Mary’s College. Under the program, full-time and part-time undergraduate students in good standing and enrolled in any member institution may take undergraduate courses at other consortium schools at their home institution tuition rates.

To be eligible, a full-time student must enroll for a combined total of 12 or more credit hours at both schools and must pay at least the minimum full-time tuition of the home institution. A part-time student must register for a minimum of six credit hours, at least three of which must be at the home institution.

Registration Procedure
Approval for enrolling in courses at another consortium institution must be obtained from the college office. The authorization form is prepared by the student and signed by the college office. The academic dean has the authority to limit the total number of courses a student may take at other consortium institutions, both overall and during a specific term or semester. Summer courses are available.

• A maximum of 12 credit hours of courses from other consortium institutions may be taken during a student’s entire undergraduate program (except for declared Theatre and Architecture majors).
• Normally, authorization will not be given to take a course at another consortium institution if an identical or clearly comparable course will be concurrently offered at UDM.
• Graduate level courses are not included in this program. Post-degree students may participate provided that they enroll for undergraduate courses.
• No consortium credits are allowed during the last 30 hours of any student’s program (except for declared Theatre and Architecture majors).


Senior Privilege

UDM undergraduate seniors with at least a 3.25 G.P.A. may be permitted to take a limited number of graduate credits (nine credits) to be used toward an undergraduate or graduate degree. Such courses cannot be counted for credit towards both the graduate and undergraduate degrees and would appear on only one transcript (undergraduate or graduate). The student must have earned at least 110 hours and obtain the approval of the director of the graduate program offering the courses to be taken. Registration for graduate courses is by Senior Privilege Authorization form only and the designation of whether the courses are being taken for undergraduate or graduate credit must be made at the time the form is submitted. Permission to enroll in graduate courses under senior privilege does not imply acceptance into a graduate program. Students enrolled through senior privilege must follow the procedures and meet the established application requirements in order to continue their graduate study. Post-degree students do not qualify for senior privilege.


Transfer Within the University

Current students who wish to transfer from one UDM undergraduate college/school to another must make special application for this purpose. Applications are available in the Office of the Registrar or in any of the college/school offices.



Application for Graduation
An "Application for Graduation" should be filed early in the academic year in which the student intends to graduate. Candidates for degrees must file their applications in the college office by the dates established in the academic calendar for the year in which they intend to graduate. Applications for a degree should be filed by October 1 for December graduation; February 1 for May, June, and August graduation. Application forms can be obtained in any college office or the Registrar’s Office. Applications received after the deadline or failure to file an application may result in denial to participate in the commencement ceremony and/or delay in the date of graduation.

Minimum Requirements
The requirements set forth below are the minimum University requirements for graduation; college, schools and academic programs establish additional requirements which must be met for the particular degree programs they offer. Consult the Colleges and Schools section of this Catalog for the specific requirements for particular degrees and major programs.


Associate Degree Requirements

Earned Hour
A candidate for an associate degree must complete a minimum of 63 earned hours acceptable to the degree program in which he/she is enrolled to be certified for graduation.

Major Program
A candidate for an associate degree must be certified by the college/school as having completed the requirements for the major program including a minimum of 12 credit hours in the major taken in residence.

Candidates for an associate degree must complete a minimum of 24 credit hours at UDM.

Quality Point Average
A candidate for an associate degree must have a minimum 2.00 G.P.A. as calculated for all attempted hours in his/her degree program and all attempted hours in his/her major program.

Completion of Core
A candidate for an associate degree must have successfully completed the core requirements in effect at the time of his or her enrollment or readmission at UDM. Students may be required to participate in competency testing as part of this requirement.

Graduation with Honors
Graduates of associate degree programs who have completed all their academic work at UDM with a cumulative G.P.A. of 3.50 or higher will have "With Distinction" inscribed on their diploma and recorded on their permanent academic transcript.


Bachelor Degree Requirements

A candidate for a bachelor’s degree must complete a minimum 126 earned hours acceptable to the degree program in which he/she is enrolled to be certified for graduation. The earned hour requirement is subject to the following limitations:

• Not more than 63 hours in transfer credit from a community or junior college, unless a formal affiliation agreement provides otherwise.
• Not more than a total of 96 credit hours from another four-year college or university.
• Not more than 12 credit hours earned through the Consortium, unless required by the student’s major program.

Major Program
A candidate for a bachelor’s degree must be certified by the college/school as having satisfactorily completed the requirements for a major program in the college/school in which the degree is requested.

Candidates for a bachelor’s degree are to complete the last 30 credit hours of their program at UDM. No transfer credits will be accepted as credit toward graduation during this portion of a student’s program. Undergraduate students will not normally be permitted to transfer credits for courses taken at a local higher education institution when an identical or nearly identical course is concurrently being offered at UDM. Exceptions may be made only by the dean of the school/college in which the undergraduate is enrolled. This permission must be obtained in writing before taking the course.

Grade Point Average
Candidates for a bachelor’s degree must have a minimum 2.00 G.P.A. as calculated for each of the following categories: all attempted hours in their degree program; all attempted hours in the major program; the last 60 credit hours of their degree program.

Completion of Core
A candidate for a bachelor’s degree must have successfully completed all core requirements in effect at the time of his/her enrollment in UDM. Students may be required to participate in competency testing as part of this graduation requirement.

Graduation With Honors
Graduates who have compiled superior academic records during the last 60 credit hours of their program at UDM will have one of the following honors inscribed on their diploma and recorded on their permanent academic transcript: cum laude (3.25 G.P.A. minimum), magna cum laude (3.50 G.P.A. minimum), summa cum laude (3.75 G.P.A. minimum). Only the last 60 hours attempted at UDM are used in the calculation for honors. Transfer students must complete at least 60 hours at UDM to be eligible for honors recognition, unless an individual articulation agreement specifies otherwise. The responsibility for determining appropriate academic honors rests with the individual colleges/schools. Candidates enrolled in the Honors Program, who have completed the established requirements of the program, will have honors suitably inscribed as part of their degree name on their diploma.


Second Major

Students who successfully complete the requirements for a second undergraduate major can petition to have the second major listed on their transcript. Only one baccalaureate degree is awarded. If the second major is under a different baccalaureate degree than the primary major, only the degree of the primary major is awarded.

All core curriculum requirements are completed under the primary major. No additional earned hour requirement applies to the recognition and posting of the second major as long as the requirements of the second major are met within the minimum number of hours required for the primary major.


Second Baccalaureate Degree

Students who wish to simultaneously pursue two baccalaureate degrees or post-degree students who wish to obtain another baccalaureate degree must complete all the requirements established by the college for the second major or professional program. The semester hours completed at this institution must total at least 30 beyond those required for the first baccalaureate degree. Students must have a 2.0 G.P.A. in all required course work and all course work in the major program. There are no core curriculum requirements for the second baccalaureate degree.

Credits earned toward the first baccalaureate degree may be applied toward the new major or program at the discretion of the program faculty. However a second baccalaureate degree has to be at least 30 additional hours as determined by the individual college/school.


Honors Convocation

Each spring in March or April, the University holds an honors convocation to celebrate the academic credentials of students. Students are recognized for achievement within the schools and colleges as well as such special programs as Alpha Sigma Nu, Kappa Gamma Pi, the Honors Program and the Leadership Development Institute.



Degree requirements can be completed at the end of each semester during the academic year but degrees are formally awarded only at the annual commencement exercises in May. Students who have completed their degree requirements at any point in the preceding academic year are invited to participate. June and August graduates may be permitted to participate in the May commencement exercises by permission of their college. Students must submit their applications by the deadline in order to participate. Commencement is ceremonial; participation in commencement exercises does not assure that all requirements have been met or that a degree has been or will be granted.


Academic Honors and Awards

School of Architecture

The American Institute of Architects Henry Adams Medal and Certificate of Achievement
These awards may be given each year to the top graduating student and second-ranked student respectively at each accredited school of architecture in recognition of scholastic achievement, character, leadership, and the promise of high professional ability.

Alpha Rho Chi Medal
The School of Architecture is authorized by Alpha Rho Chi, the National Social Professional Fraternity of Architecture to grant this medal to the graduating student who demonstrates high ideals, professional aspirations, public service and leadership.

Tau Sigma Delta Honor Society, Beta Sigma Chapter
The honor society’s purpose is to celebrate excellence in scholarship, to stimulate mental achievement, and to award those students who attain high scholastic standing.


College of Business Administration

Beta Alpha Psi Award
A plaque and certificate of merit given each year by Beta Alpha Psi (Alpha Xi Chapter) to its graduating member who has earned the highest scholastic average in his/her total undergraduate program. In addition, a certificate of merit is presented to a graduating member demonstrating an optimum record of service to the University and high scholastic achievement.

Business Administration Awards
Presented annually to students in Business Administration who have demonstrated outstanding scholastic achievement in various subject areas.

Computer and Information Systems Award
A plaque awarded annually to a student in Computer and Information Systems who has demonstrated outstanding scholastic achievement and shows exceptional promise as a scholar in his/her field.

Dean’s Award
A certificate presented annually to graduating seniors having a record of student leadership and service to the College of Business Administration.

Dean’s Leadership Key
A key given annually to graduating seniors who have demonstrated outstanding qualities of leadership and involvement in University-approved co-curricular activities, while maintaining overall academic excellence.

Dean’s Scholarship Certificate
Each student, who at the close of Term I, has earned at least the following cumulative G.P.A. for all previous work at UDM is given an appropriate memento attesting to his/her scholarship: Freshmen, 3.55; Sophomores, 3.45; Juniors, 3.35; and Seniors, 3.25. These awards are made available by the dean of the College of Business Administration.

Financial Executives International Award
A medallion presented annually by the FEI to the student who has achieved the highest academic excellence at the baccalaureate level in accounting or finance. The student is recognized at a dinner sponsored by the Financial Executives International.

Fitzgerald Award
Given each year in the name of Dr. Lloyd E. Fitzgerald who was dean of the College of Commerce and Finance from 1935-1963, to the graduating Business Administration senior designated as having the optimum record of scholarship, student leadership, and service to the University.

Wall Street Journal Achievement Award
A plaque citation, medallion, and a year’s subscription to the Wall Street Journal awarded each year by Dow Jones & Company, Inc., to the graduating Business Administration student chosen for greatest achievement in the College.


School of Dentistry - Department of Dental Hygiene

Colgate Student Total Achievement Recognition
Awarded to the graduating dental hygiene student who demonstrates dedication to the dental hygiene profession, compassion in patient care, enthusiasm for community service and enjoys the role of a dental hygienist.

Director’s Key
Presented by the director of the Dental Hygiene Division to the student who succeeded in combining scholarship with outstanding leadership and service to the School of Dentistry and the Division of Dental Hygiene.

Hu-Friedy Award
Presented to the outstanding Dental Hygiene clinician.

Dental Hygiene Outstanding Colleague Award
Presented to the student that demonstrates a positive attitude toward the profession of dental hygiene, dental hygiene education and fellow students. Nomination and selection of the recipient are made by the graduating class.

Outstanding Service Award
Presented to students who have represented the ideals of the profession of dental hygiene through service to the Dental Hygiene and Dental School community.

Procter and Gamble Preventive Dentistry Award
Awarded to the student that demonstrates outstanding application of preventive dentistry concepts in patient treatment and oral health instruction.

Professionalism Award
Awarded to the student who consistently demonstrates professional decorum, maintains a willingness to actively participate, shows initiative for self improvement and demonstrates a collegial attitude throughout his/her educational career.

Sigma Phi Alpha Award
Election into this Dental Hygiene Honors Society recognizes the highest scholarship, character, and potential qualities for future growth within the profession.

Sonicare Patient Management Award
Awarded to the student that demonstrates a concern for special patient needs and plans care accordingly as well as demonstrating communication skills and confidence in managing related clinical situations.

University of Detroit Mercy Dental Alumni Award
Awarded by University of Detroit Mercy Alumni Association to the student who demonstrates excellence in the delivery of comprehensive patient care.


College of Education & Human Services

Student Council for Exceptional Children Award
Cash award presented annually to the graduating member of the Student Council for Exceptional Children (CEC) who has demonstrated excellence in academics and distinguished service.

Helen Kean Undergraduate Writing Award
Cash award of $100 presented annually for the best undergraduate student paper demonstrating scholarship in content and form as well as creativity in approach and/or insight. Commemorates the dedication of a former dean of Women, dean of Students and professor of Guidance and Counseling.

Dionyell Walton Legal Assistant Award
Cash award of $250 presented annually to a Legal Assistant student considered most competent toward the cost of taking the National Association of Legal Assistant’s Certified Legal Assistant Examination. The award commemorates a student in the Legal Assistant Program who was killed by a hit and run driver in December, 1997, just before final exams.

Beulah T. Whitby Social Work Scholarship Award
Named for the first African-American dean of Sociology and Social Work at Mercy College of Detroit. A scholarship award presented to the Social Work student who has demonstrated academic excellence and human service leadership

Joan K. Wilder Graduate Studies Award
Cash award of $100 presented annually for the best graduate research paper demonstrating scholarship in content and form as well as creativity in approach and/or design. Commemorates the dedication and scholarship of a former professor of Philosophy of Education.


Special Academic Awards

Recognition given to the outstanding senior who has excelled academically, has displayed leadership and contributed service to the university community in their chosen field.

Robert & Genevieve Sage Addiction Studies Award
Annual award given to a graduating senior who has displayed high scholarship and leadership in the Addiction Studies program. Named for the family most responsible for establishing the Addiction Studies program at Mercy College of Detroit.

Jerome Rozycki Criminal Justice Award
Named after a former University professor who established many of the standards for criminal justice students still in place today. This annual award goes to the student who for at least seven straight semesters has attained the highest level of academic achievement.

Malcolm Carron Education Award
Named for the former University president and education professor. This award honors the education student who has displayed academic excellence and service leadership in the field of teacher education.

Human Services Award
Annual award given to the graduating senior who has achieved the top academic ranking among those seeking a Bachelor of Science in Human Services.

Legal Studies Award
Award given to the graduating senior with the highest GPA and dedication to the Legal Administration field.

Social Work Award
Annual award given to the graduating senior who has demonstrated high academic achievement and has displayed the highest professional standards of a social worker.


College of Engineering & Science

American Chemical Society Award
An award presented to the senior chemistry or biochemistry major having the highest scholastic average in the field of chemistry.

American Institute of Chemists (Engineering) Award
A certificate presented to a graduating chemical engineering major for scholastic achievement in chemical engineering.

American Institute of Chemists (Science) Award
A certificate presented to a graduating chemistry and biochemistry major for scholastic achievement in chemistry.

Biology Award
A plaque presented by the Department of Biology to the senior biology major with the highest scholastic standing after completing a minimum of 90 credits at UDM.

CRC Freshman Chemistry Achievement Award
A book awarded by the Chemical Rubber Company to the most outstanding first year student for scholastic achievement in chemistry.

Dean’s Scholarship Certificate Awards
A certificate is presented to students who, by the end of Term I, have earned the following cumulative G.P.A. for all previous work at UDM. Freshmen (with a minimum of 12 credits) 3.75 - 3.99; sophomores, 3.75 - 3.89; juniors, 3.75 - 3.79; seniors, 3.75 - 3.79.

Dean’s Scholarship Key Awards
A Key Award is presented to students who, by the end of Term I, have earned the following minimum cumulative G.P.A. for all previous work at UDM: freshmen (with a minimum of 12 credits) 4.0; sophomore, 3.9; juniors, 3.8; seniors, 3.8.

Elihu Geer Scholastic Achievement Award
A plaque presented by the American Society of Civil Engineers to the senior Civil and Environmental Engineering student having the highest scholastic standing in the Structures/Foundation option.

Engineering Student of the Year
Presented to the most outstanding graduating engineer. Designation as a recipient of this award is based on the candidate’s academic achievements, leadership capabilities, personality and extra-curricular activities.

Eta Kappa Nu Award
Presented to the outstanding sophomore Electrical Engineering student who has proven him/herself, through high scholastic achievement and personal attributes, worthy of consideration for future membership in Eta Kappa Nu.

The Felbarth Memorial Award
This award is presented to the first year engineering student with the highest grade in engineering graphics who has the highest G.P.A. in his/her studies.

Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers Outstanding Senior Award
Presented to the Electrical Engineering senior with the highest scholastic standing.

Leon S. Johnston Award
A monetary award and a plaque inscription to the Bachelor of Science major in mathematics or computer science who has attained the highest academic achievement at the beginning of the final term of the senior year.

Merck Index Award
A book awarded to an outstanding senior student for scholastic achievement in chemistry or biochemistry.

Pi Tau Sigma Award
Presented to the full time Mechanical Engineering student who has attained the highest G.P.A. during his/her sophomore year.

Science Student of the Year
Presented to the most outstanding graduating biology, biochemistry, chemistry, computer science or mathematics student. Designation as a recipient of this award is based upon the candidate’s academic achievements, leadership capabilities, personality and extra-curricular activities.

Tau Beta Pi Award
Presented to the sophomore who has attained the highest overall G.P.A. in his/her academic studies.

Professor John J. Uicker Award
Presented to the Mechanical Engineering senior with the highest upper division courses.

Professor Harry O. Warner Award
Presented for excellence in Electrical Engineering Design.

In addition to the above, the student honorary and professional societies offer additional awards for both academic and service achievements. See the College handbook for a complete listing.


College of Health Professions & McAuley School of Nursing

Allied Health Sciences Award
A plaque presented to the student in the Allied Health Sciences who has attained the highest cumulative average at the beginning of the final term of the senior year.

Alpha Eta Society
The National Scholastic Honor Society in the Field of Health Services/Health Services Administration. Membership in Alpha Eta Society is a honor which must be earned through outstanding scholastic achievement. To be eligible for membership a student must rank in the top 5% of his/her junior or senior class.

The Delores Mlotkowski Award
A special recognition award for a senior nursing student who best exemplifies the excellent qualities which characterized the nursing career of the late Delores Mlotkowski, a member of the nursing faculty.

Mercy Health Service Award
Presented to a graduating nursing student who demonstrates respect for human dignity of clients, strives to be a patient advocate, especially for the poor, exemplifies the values of mercy and justice, demonstrates human involvement and has a minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 3.5.

Spirit of Nursing Award
Army Nurse Corps (ANC) award, designed to recognize an exceptional nursing student who demonstrates a commitment to excellence through his/her community, professional and academic achievements.

Sigma Theta Tau International
Membership in Lambda Zeta Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International is awarded to outstanding undergraduate and graduate nursing students who rank in the upper third of their graduating class and have been recommended by faculty and community members of Sigma Theta Tau International for their achievements in scholarship, leadership and research.


College of Liberal Arts

Catherine A. Caraher History Prize
A check awarded by the History Department to a graduating senior History major in recognition of outstanding scholastic achievement.

Communication Excellence Award
Presented to a graduating senior who has contributed to "unity and excellence" in the area of Communication Studies.

Detroit Historic Memorial Society Award
A $150.00 prize awarded annually to the outstanding student in the field of American History by the Historic Memorials Society of Detroit.

Economics Award
Given annually to a student majoring in Economics or Mathematical Economics who, in the judgement of the faculty of the Department of Economics, shows exceptional promise as an economist.

McLeod Memorial Award
A scholarship presented annually to the College of Liberal Arts junior with the highest academic average. It is donated by Mrs. C.J. McLeod in memory of her husband, Congressman Clarence J. McLeod.

Fr. Edmund F. Miller, S.J. Service Award
Presented annually to a graduating senior in the College of Liberal Arts for outstanding service to the College.

John J. Muller Memorial Award
A scholarship grant given to an outstanding undergraduate student who is pursuing an advanced degree in Psychology.

Fr. Hugh P. O’Neill Award
A book prize awarded by the Classics faculty for outstanding achievement in some area of the classics.

Political Science Award
Given annually to a student who has shown the highest academic achievement in this discipline.

Sociology Award
Presented to the most outstanding student in the Sociology Department using two academic traits: academic excellence and integrity.

Msgr. John C. Vismara Memorial Award
Presented annually to an outstanding undergraduate student in the study of philosophy.

Howard Walsh Memorial Award
Granted annually to the member of the senior class majoring in English who has shown the greatest proficiency in English language and literature.


Accreditations and Memberships

Vital to the University’s public accountability are its accreditations. The University of Detroit Mercy is fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, 30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400, Chicago, IL 60602-2504 1-800-621-7440.

The University is listed by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York and by the Department of Public Instruction of the State of Pennsylvania among their registered institutions.

The University is a member of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities, the Association of Mercy Colleges, Mercy Higher Education Colloquium, the National Catholic Educational Association, the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Michigan and the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities. The University is included in the list of institutions providing membership eligibility in the American Association of University Women.

The School of Architecture is accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board, the only accrediting agency for architecture in the nation. It is a member of the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture.

The College of Business Administration undergraduate and graduate business programs are accredited by AACSB - The International Association for Management Education.

The School of Dentistry and the Dental Hygiene and Doctor of Dental Surgery Programs are accredited by the American Dental Association’s Commission on Dental Accreditation.

The Michigan State Board of Education has authorized the College of Education and Human Services to recommend applicants for certificates to teach in the private and public schools of Michigan. The State Elementary and Secondary Certificate, Provisional and Professional, are issued by the State Board of Education, on the recommendation of the University. The Legal Assistant Program is approved by the American Bar Association. The Social Work Program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. The Master of Arts in Counseling program has applied for accreditation by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Education Programs. The College is a member of the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education and the Addiction Program is a member of the National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors.

The College of Engineering and Science curricula leading to the degree of Bachelor of Chemical Engineering, Bachelor of Civil Engineering, Bachelor of Electrical Engineering, and Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering are accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology. The Bachelor of Science program in Chemistry is certified by the American Chemical Society’s Committee on Professional Training. The Bachelor of Science program in Biochemistry is within the guidelines stipulated by the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.

The College of Health Professions’ Physician Assistant Program is accredited by the American Medical Association Committee on Allied Health Education and Accreditation in collaboration with the Accreditation Review Committee on Education for Physician Assistants.

The McAuley School of Nursing undergraduate program is accredited by the National League for Nursing. The Master of Science in Nursing with a major in Family Nurse Practitioner is accredited by the National League of Nursing. The Master of Science in Nurse Anesthesiology Program is nationally accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs/Schools.

The School of Law is accredited by the American Bar Association and is a member of the Association of American Law Schools and the Association of the Religiously Affiliated Law Schools.

In the College of Liberal Arts the Ph.D. program in Clinical Psychology is accredited by the American Psychological Association.