Graduate Catalog 2012-2013

UDM Academic Policies Course Descriptions List of All Programs Faculty

College of Engineering and Science | Office


It is our mission to serve the Detroit, the national and the world communities through the education of professional engineers, scientists and mathematicians, and through the discovery, application and dissemination of knowledge.

That education will be personally focused in the needs of each student, value centered in the tradition of the Catholic Church, affordable, and unexcelled in quality of instruction and content. It will be characterized by a hands-on nature, which includes frequent laboratory experiences and integrated cooperative experience for all students. It will be convenient to all students, whether full-time or part-time, on-campus or off-campus.

The College will discover and apply knowledge which effectively addresses the critical opportunities and challenges of the urban and industrial communities. It will do so in active and intimate partnerships with industry and government.

We will be helpful, courteous and professional in all internal and external interactions.

Message from the Dean

We are pleased that you have chosen the University of Detroit Mercy for your studies. When you were accepted as a student in the College of Engineering and Science, a judgment was made that you had the necessary educational background for university studies and that you are serious about your desire to acquire not only a degree, but more importantly, an education.

The faculty, staff and I are committed to doing all we can to make available to you the excellent education you deserve and which you will need in order to succeed in your chosen profession. You cannot obtain your education, however, without hard work and a dedication to learning. We are confident that our judgment in accepting you as a student will turn out to have been correct. Whether or not it does, depends primarily on you.

It is your responsibility as a student to know and follow approved University and College procedures as you progress through your academic career. Knowing and observing the proper policies and procedures can make your stay at the University more pleasant and productive. Failure to do so can lead to unnecessary difficulties.

The Engineering and Science faculty and I wish you success in your studies at the University of Detroit Mercy. If you work hard and are faithful to your responsibilities as a student, we know you will succeed.

Leo E. Hanifin, Dean College of Engineering and Science

Admission and Transfer

Admission standards are established with the intent that admitted students have the potential to meet the graduation requirements of the College. Undergraduate students are normally admitted by the University Admissions Office and are typically admitted directly into their programs of major interest. Graduate students are admitted by the Dean of the College on the advice of the chairperson of the student’s program. Graduate students are required to complete any assigned prerequisite courses with grades of ‘B’ or better before beginning graduate courses.

Transfer Credit
For students transferring to the University, transcripts of work completed at other schools should be sent directly to the Admissions Office of the University of Detroit Mercy. They are then automatically routed to the University’s Transfer Credit/Degree Audit Office for evaluation of credit. A short time after receipt of transcripts, evaluation of the transcript should be completed with written documentation available to the student. Only OFFICIAL transcripts sent directly from the other institution to UDM are considered. Once the college receives the evaluation, the office of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs will submit to the appropriate department. When there is doubt about the equivalency of courses, the student may be asked to submit course descriptions of courses. The evaluation of a transcript may grant credit for course work that is not applicable to the student’s program in the College.

Students without a previous graduate degree may transfer up to six credits from another graduate school or program. Students with a previous graduate degree may transfer nine credits if either graduate program is less than 36 hours, or up to twelve credits if both graduate programs are at least 36 hours. Students in the Doctor of Engineering program who have a UDM Master’s degree or its equivalent may transfer up to 30 credit hours of appropriate and approved course work. In all cases, transfer of credit is granted only with the approval of the Program Director or Department Chair and the Dean after completing 12 credit hours at the University of Detroit Mercy with a minimum overall average of “B”. Transfer credit will be granted for advanced undergraduate courses open to graduate students only if a written statement is provided from an official of the institution verifying that the courses were completed for graduate credit.

A minimum grade of “B” is required in all courses presented for transfer. All transfer courses must fall within the time limits established. Credits earned more than five years prior to the student’s application for graduation for a Masters degree are generally not acceptable. Courses considered for transfer must have been preceded by the appropriate undergraduate background and be consistent with the student’s program of study.

Students wishing to take graduate courses at other institutions must obtain the written approval of the Dean and Program Director prior to enrolling in such courses. No more than one semester credit will be allowed per week of short courses or seminars.


Students who have completed course work at Mercy College of Detroit, University of Detroit or University of Detroit Mercy and who have not enrolled at the University for two years or more should apply for readmission by completing a Readmission Application. This form can be obtained from the Registrar’s Office or from any of the college offices. Students who have completed college work at other institutions prior to applying for readmission to the University will be expected to submit transcripts from each college attended. Readmission is subject to approval of the Dean of the College.

Academic Advisor

The role of the advisor is to provide counsel and guidance concerning program or career objectives, selection of courses during registration, conflicts in scheduling, probation problems, poor grades, tutorial referral and personal matters. Each student has ultimate responsibility for his/her own academic program and should be very familiar with all program requirements.

In order for an advisor to best serve the student, it is important for the student to keep his/her advisor informed on all academic actions (e.g. registrations, add/drop etc.)


During the advising period set aside by the University, students meet with their advisors to plan a program of courses for the following term. They then register using TitanConnect after being authorized by their advisor. Students should make an attempt to register as early as possible for any upcoming term. Early registration helps the student avoid closed sections and course conflicts. Students should prepare for the meeting with the advisor by assuring that prerequisites for the courses they wish to take have been completed and that all courses are taken in the sequence established by the department.

Once a student has registered for a term, he/she is responsible for the payment or the arrangement for payment of tuition and fees before the beginning of the term. Registration for a course represents a commitment to that course. After registration, if a student fails to attend the course and does not withdraw from the course, a grade of “F” usually results.

A student is officially a member of a class only when the registration process is completed. Only those students whose names are on the class list are registered students.


Some prerequisite courses may be required of a student to ensure their success in a program. They are to be completed as early as possible in the student’s study plan. Failure to take a prerequisite course first does not eliminate it from a student’s graduation requirements.

In addition, many courses have prerequisites that must be satisfied in order to register for the course. Many prerequisites include a minimum course grade. Please review course descriptions in the catalog to determine the prerequisites for any particular course.

Auditing a Class

All course registrations at the University of Detroit Mercy are “credit” registrations. Any student wishing to take a course on an “AUDIT” basis (i.e. gain knowledge without receiving academic credit) must do so by registering for credit using the paper registration form and indicating “AUDIT” next to any course to be taken on an audit basis.

A student who is auditing a course pays the applicable tuition and fees for the course. The course will appear on the transcript with the grade “AUD”. The student receives no earned credit for the course. International students should check with the ISO before an audit registration.

Change in Registration (Add/Drop)

Prior to the start of classes, students can use TitanConnect to add/drop classes with the permission of the advisor (granted by the removal of the registration PIN.) If, after registration has been completed a change is needed in the student’s schedule, the student should confer with their advisor before making any changes, and a record of the agreed upon change should be put in the student’s file and/or advising note in TitanConnect. If the change is being made after the start of classes, the student must complete a “Change of Registration Form,” available in the College Records Office or the Science Offices. This form is sometimes called the Add/Drop form because it can be used for both purposes. In the first week, after the start of classes, the Change in Registration Form should be signed by the advisor and the instructor(s) of any classes being added. After obtaining the proper signatures it may be taken to the Registrar’s Office for processing.

Attempting to add a course that is closed, or that has another restriction preventing the student to register, will not be permitted without the signature approval of the instruction and one of the College Deans on the “Override Approval Form.” With all of the correct signatures, courses may be added up to and during the first week of the term. In rare circumstances, it may be possible to add a course later than the first week. It should be noted however, that late entry into a course entails missed instructional material (which can put students at a severe academic disadvantage) and late registration charges.

In order to drop a course, the student must obtain the signatures of his/her advisor or one of the College deans. Be aware that the dropping of a course is a formal process; it is not sufficient to simply walk away from a course. The latter action will almost certainly result in a failing grade and a continued responsibility to meet the full tuition charges for the course. If a course is dropped prior to the “delete date” (the end of the first week of the term), the course is deleted from the student’s record. If the course is dropped between the “delete date” and the “withdrawal date” (approximately the twelfth week of the term) a “W” appears on the student’s record. After the “withdrawal date” a course cannot be dropped. These timetables are adjusted for the abbreviated summer sessions and accelerated courses. Students should be aware that several withdrawals appearing on their records may be interpreted as an academic weakness. It should be noted that there may be financial implications when a course is dropped. Consultation with the Financial Aid Office is strongly recommended.

If, as a result of dropping course(s), a graduate student falls below 9 credits, he/she will lose full time student status which may impact financial aid and/or immigration status. Exact dates for deleting and withdrawing courses are established by the University (not the College) and are available on-line each term. Moreover, it is highly recommended that students retain all copies of add/drop activities for their own records.

Co-Operative Education

If desired, graduate students may attempt to secure a co-op job for graduate credit. In order to prepare for the experience of finding a co-op job and participating effectively in it, students must take ENGR 5000 prior to securing a co-op position. Students should meet with the co-op coordinator in the 1st floor of the Engineering building for additional information.

Exceptions and Substitutions

When, for serious reasons, there is a perceived need for a student to deviate from his/her academic program or a published regulation, the student may petition the College Student Affairs Committee. The written petition is submitted to the Student Affairs Committee in care of the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs and should contain details on the circumstances associated with the requested exception or substitution. Exceptions and/or substitutions are only provided where there is a clear case of unreasonable hardship that occurs through no fault of the student. In all cases, engineering students must fulfill all requirements for ABET accreditation. A written response is provided, usually within 2 weeks after the request

Grades and Processes

Finals Week
The last week of each of the regular trimesters is set aside for a single class session for each course. The class meets for either an extended class period or an examination. The class meeting time is posted on the Schedule of Classes. If a student has been assigned three examinations during the same day of “Final Week”, he/she may ask his/her instructor for reassignment of an exam. In such situations or in conflicts involving two scheduled class meetings the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs may be consulted for resolution.

Course Grades
Graduate students must maintain an overall QPA of at least a 3.0 in order to graduate. Students must have a minimum grade of “C” for all graduate classes to be counted toward completion of a graduate degree or certificate. However, all grades are counted in the QPA calculation.

Grade Grievances
If a student believes that he or she was unfairly graded in a course, then the College Grievance Policy should be followed. In the event of a difference of position between a faculty member and a student, a formal procedure exists to aid in the resolution of the matter. In general, students are advised to consult with the instructor prior to beginning the appeal process in an attempt to resolve the difference. All appeals (in writing) should be filed in a timely manner, preferably shortly after the cause for the grievance occurs.

The faculty of the College of Engineering and Science are educational professionals. Most have accumulated many years of experience. As such, they have become proficient in assessing a student’s performance in a class by measuring in an unbiased fashion achievement of the materials presented in the light of the course syllabus. Therefore, it should be rare that a student should grieve the grade they have received in a course. Should a student believe that they have received an unfair grade, they have the burden of presenting a case identifying circumstances beyond their control that may have affected the course grade.

Grievance Procedure
In the event that a grievance occurs between a student and a faculty member on an academic matter, the following procedure is in effect:

Step 1. Faculty Member
The grieved party should make every effort to resolve the problem with the faculty member.

Step 2. Chairperson
If a solution cannot be achieved with the faculty member, then the grieved party may submit, in writing, his/her position on the matter to the department chairperson. If the chairperson can resolve the issue, the grievance procedure is terminated.

Step 3. Departmental Grievance Committee
If the recommendation is not acceptable to either the student or the faculty member, or if the complaint is against the department chairperson, then the matter becomes the responsibility of the AD HOC departmental grievance committee (where the department has a policy for such.) The department committee makes appropriate recommendations in an attempt to resolve the grievance using procedures established by the department. If the departmental grievance committee can resolve the issue the procedure is terminated.

Step 4. College Grievance Committee
If no departmental committee exists or if the issue is not resolved by the departmental committee, the student may request in writing a review by the College Grievance Committee. The five person College Grievance Committee consists of one full-time engineering faculty member; one full-time mathematics/science faculty member; one engineering student; one mathematics/science student and an Associate Dean of the College. The Associate Dean will act only to resolve indecision in the committee. The committee will prepare a short written report on its recommendations and the procedure used to reach them. The committee does not change grades. This is the instructor’s prerogative.

Step 5. Dean
If the student is dissatisfied with the recommendation of the committee or the response of the faculty member, he/she may appeal to the Dean.

The grievance is to be filed in the term in which it occurred or within 30 days of the basis for the grievance and whenever possible the committee is to resolve the grievance in the term it was initiated or shortly thereafter.

Quality Point Average (QPA)
The Quality Point Average (QPA) of a student is determined by dividing the number of earned quality points by the number of attempted hours. The QPA can be determined for a student’s overall record at the University, for the Major Program, or for some portion of the overall record.

"I" Grades
An “I” grade may be given to a student at the discretion of the instructor when the student has been unable for a serious reason to complete a major course segment. The following conditions are necessary for the situation to be eligible for the “I” grade:

  • The student becomes unable to continue in the course after the last date to withdraw from the course with a “W”. (If the student is unable to continue before this date, the student should withdraw rather than receiving an “I” grade.)
  • The student must be passing the course at the point at which he or she was unable to continue in the course.

Note that other extreme circumstances may support an “I” grade with the Dean’s approval.

The request for an “I” must be initiated by the student - it is not an automatic grade given by an instructor

Students with an excused absence from a final examination must complete the examination within two weeks of the scheduled date, unless the appropriate college administrator permits an extension of the deadline in writing.

The University does not permit a student to “sit in” on the portion of the class missed. To receive credit for a class a student must register for it and pay the appropriate tuition and fees.

The instructor who intends to assign an “I” grade must complete the College form. The instructor will provide information on the student and the reason for the Incomplete along with specific details on what outstanding work is to be completed and the date by which it will be submitted for review. The last date to complete the work is approximately six weeks after the end of the term in which the work was to be completed. Official dates are identified in the University calendar.

Change in Grade
On rare occasions, a student may receive an incorrect grade (i.e. posting error). Should this occur, the student should contact the instructor directly within 30 days of receiving the grade. With sufficient reason the instructor may submit a change in grade form (including the reason for the change). These must be approved by the Dean’s Office. Grades will not be changed if an extended period (e.g. six months) between the assignment of the grade and the action to correct the matter has expired.

Repeating a Class
When a graduate student repeats a class, both grades count in the QPA calculation but only one attempt advances the student toward graduation. (e.g. earns credit).

Catalog of Entry
Students whose interruption of study at the University is less than one year retain the right to the requirements of their catalog of entry. Students who have not completed course work at the University for one year or more will have their previous work reevaluated according to the requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of readmission.

If a program/degree has been discontinued during the period of inactivity then the applicant is not entitled to request a program or classes that no longer exist. The College will work with students in this situation to provide them with a program that is as close to the initial objectives as possible so that as much of the course work previously taken can be applied to the new program.

Dead Week
It should be noted that the University policy precludes giving quizzes or examinations during the week preceding the final week of a 15 week course. This is referred to as “DEAD WEEK”. It is acceptable, however, for instructors to require homework or papers due during this week.

Special Needs
Upon admission to the University and a program in the College of Engineering and Science, it is the responsibility of a student to identify any special needs that may require an instructor to modify classroom events. This would normally be done on the Application for Admission. Once documented, instructors are then notified of the nature of the student’s needs. Current students who develop needs for special assistance due to physical or other handicaps, on either a temporary or long-term basis, should contact Emilie Gallegos in the University Advising and Academic Services Office at 993-1143. Official documentation is always required. Faculty will then be notified of the nature of the student needs.

Student Academic Files / FERPA
Upon entry into the College, an academic file is generated for each student. This file contains application materials, grade reports, and advising notes. Once a student has declared a major, the file also includes a summary form which details all major program requirements.

By Federal Law, the academic file of the student is private information and available only to personnel within the University with a legitimate need for the information. In general, a student’s academic record can only be released to a third person by written authorization by the student. This written authorization must be renewed for each communication.

Student Responsibilities

Students are expected to learn the requirements, policies, and procedures governing their program of study and act accordingly. Students should consult their academic advisor regularly regarding course selections and other curricular requirements to ensure they are making progress towards degree completion. Ultimately, it is the student’s responsibility to make sure degree requirements are fulfilled.

Students are responsible for the information in the University and College Catalogs, the curriculum requirements for their major as well as for the core curriculum. Adding and dropping of courses are the student’s responsibility.

International Students must consult with the International Students Office before making any changes in registration.

Expected Student Behavior and Performance

The University defers the attendance policy to the individual instructors. It is expected that students will attend all class sessions and be prepared to contribute as required. As a courtesy, the student should inform the instructor prior to an absence. If a student misses an assignment, examination, or quiz, the instructor is not required to provide a make-up. Depending on the policy of the instructor, attendance can affect the course grade.

Classroom Etiquette
To prevent distracting classroom instruction, students should not use cell phones during class time. Also, phones and beepers should be turned off during class time. Some courses may have more restrictive policies, please consult your course syllabus. Unless there is an emergency, students should refrain from leaving the room while class is in session. Food and drink are prohibited in all computer and instructional laboratories. Food should not be consumed during class sessions unless medically necessary.

Electronic Devices in the Classroom
The type of electronic devices that can be used during a class or on an examination will be determined either by the department for which the course is taught or by the instructor of the class. Once these rules are set for a class, they will be strictly enforced. All other electronic devices such as cell phones and PDAs should be turned off during class time.

Children in the Classroom
Students of the University of Detroit Mercy have the right to attend class free from the distraction of non-students. Therefore, the general policy of the University is that non-registrants are not allowed in the classroom or laboratory. This pertains to children of students as well as other non-registrants because classrooms and other instructional facilities are not intended for children. A faculty member may, at his/her discretion, allow a student to bring a child or other non-registrant to class in an emergency situation provided that:

  • the behavior of the child or other non-registrant is appropriate to the classroom;
  • the rights of all other enrolled students to an effective learning environment are assured;
  • that the presence of the child or other non-registrant is not habitual,
  • and that the child or other non-registrant does not compromise the academic use of any computers or other equipment used in the learning facility.
  • ** Under no circumstances should a student bring a child or other nonregistrant to an experimental laboratory or a clinical facility.

Academic Integrity Policy

We are members of an academic community engaged in the pursuit of knowledge, justice, and truth. We seek to integrate the intellectual, spiritual, ethical, and social development of our students and thus expect students to engage in a high standard of honesty and integrity in their academic activities. The University, and the College of Engineering and Science, fundamentally assume that the work submitted by a student is a product of his or her own legitimate efforts. If, however, the origin of a student’s work product becomes an issue, either by intent to deceive, or a disregard for proper scholarly procedure, the following procedure applies.

Upon the occurrence of a suspected breach of academic integrity, the instructor of the course will explain to the student(s) involved, the nature of the breach of academic integrity and the reasons for suspecting a violation. The student(s) may use this opportunity to explain their behavior and/or take responsibility for their action.

If the instructor then believes that a violation of academic integrity has occurred, it is recommend that the instructor assign a grade of "F" (or score of 0) for the work in question. Flagrant or repeat occurrences may include other actions. Alternatively, or in addition, the instructor may impose the following penalties:

  • Request a letter of reprimand be sent from the Dean, a copy kept in the dean's office file
  • Require the student redo the assignment
  • Lower the grade for the work in question
  • Assign a grade of “F” for the course (Note: The instructor must continue to grade the student normally pending the outcome of any appeal(s) by the student.)

The student may also be required to complete additional educational activities in order to help avoid future academic violations from carelessness or ignorance. If a faculty allows for a low grade to be dropped, the score subject to discipline may not be dropped.

Within one week of the alleged violation warranting disciplinary action, the instructor must complete the Academic Dishonesty Report form, and provide copies to the student and to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. Any additional relevant documentation will be provided to the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs. A hardcopy of this form will be kept in the Dean’s office.

If the allegation is not contested by the student then the penalty will be implemented. If the student contests the allegation or the penalty, a hearing will be held with the Student Affairs Committee. The instructor and the student may provide evidence and witnesses as appropriate, but legal representation is not permitted. The student may be accompanied by a faculty advisor whose role is to provide moral support only. The faculty advisor may not be an active participant in the proceedings.

The Student Affairs Committee will review relevant materials and testimony, and then make a recommendation regarding the allegation and the penalty. Note that the committee may recommend a different penalty than initially imposed.

It is expected that all involved will conduct this process with confidentiality and respect.

If the student or the instructor wishes to appeal the recommendation of the committee, they may do so, in writing, to the Dean of Engineering and Science. A representative of the Academic Affairs committee will present the materials and notes collected by the committee to the Dean, as well as a written report of the committee’s findings. The Dean will collect additional information as deemed necessary to make a decision on the appeal. Note that the Dean may recommend a different penalty than recommended by the committee. Any further appeals must be approved by the Academic Vice President.

Any offense, including a first offense, consisting of flagrant conduct will be treated as a special situation. The possible penalties for a repeated or flagrant offense will be:

  • a grade of “F” in the course
  • requirement that the student take additional course work related to study skills, ethics, etc.
  • academic probation
  • suspension from the College
  • expulsion from the College

Examples of flagrant offenses include but are not limited to the following: use of a surrogate to take an examination; physical theft of another student’s work; use of intimidation to obtain the aid of another student, theft of an examination, electronic theft of course related materials. In such a case, the penalty will be suspension or expulsion from the College, even upon a first offense.

College Contact Information:

Dean: Dr. Gary Kuleck
Telephone: (313) 993-1216
Fax: (313) 993-1187

Associate Dean for Research and Outreach: Shuvra Das
Telephone: (313) 993-3380
Fax: (313) 993-1187

Associate Dean for Academic Affairs: Katherine Snyder
Telephone: (313) 993-3362
Fax: (313) 993-1187

For more information about UDM, or to apply online, go to

Print Friendly Print-friendly