Admission to Graduate Study

The University of Detroit Mercy, to meet its obligation to the student body, to the faculty, and to the community, seeks as graduate students those individuals who can benefit from its graduate programs. Throughout its policies and procedures, the University is committed to the principles of equal educational opportunity for all regardless of age, sex, sexual preference, race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, handicap, military service, height, weight, marital status, or political belief.

Admission to graduate study is selective. In addition to having earned a bachelorís degree from a regionally accredited institution, candidates are expected to present evidence of superior performance in their undergraduate work which includes a general education component. Colleges may institute limited variations in the overall admission criteria in order to meet academic or professional requirements in their fields. A particular program may utilize additional criteria such as standardized test scores, successful work performance, personal goal statements or face-to-face interviews to aid in predicting successful performance in a graduate program. These criteria are presented in the sections describing individual program admission criteria. Final decisions regarding admission are made by the dean of the college offering the program upon the recommendation of the program director.

Objectives and Responsibilities of Graduate Study

Graduate programs play a vital role in the mission of the University of Detroit Mercy. As the home of scholarship and research, graduate programs provide opportunities through advanced instruction and experience in research for a qualified student to master an area of knowledge, add to its store and disseminate it to others. Graduate study may best be described as a dedication to truth: the willingness to accept the discipline of scholarship through which the truth may be found and the desire to share this truth with others.

These objectives are shared by each of the colleges in the graduate programs they offer. But as each of the colleges maintains its identity, so each imposes special objectives inherent in the particular discipline itself. Since these objectives vary, they are traditionally specified in terms of departmental and program objectives.

Graduate students are responsible and accountable for knowledge of the University and program requirements, procedures and regulations set forth in this Catalog. Program directors, advisors, faculty and administrative staff may assist students by explaining requirements and procedures in individual instances. The ultimate responsibility for compliance with procedures and requirements, however, rests with the student.

The program director is a central figure in the development of the studentís academic program at the University. Students must consult with and obtain the approval of the program director (or advisor) to develop their schedules for each term, to change their registrations, and to clarify academic procedures and policies.

Application Procedures


An application for admission should be submitted at least six weeks prior to the term in which the prospective student intends to begin graduate study. Some graduate programs require earlier deadlines. Consult the program information section of this Catalog for the specific deadlines for each program. Applications may be obtained from the Graduate Programs Office, c/o the college of University of Detroit Mercy to which you are applying. The mailing address is:

Graduate Programs Office
c/o (the College or School to which you are applying)
University of Detroit Mercy
PO Box 19900
Detroit, MI 48219-0900

Specific office locations and phone numbers can be found in the program information section of this catalog.

Except for international students, a completed application, accompanied by a check or money order in the amount of $30.00 for master/specialist applicants or $50.00 for doctoral applicants, should be mailed to the appropriate above address. Some programs may have higher application fees. Please refer to the college section for specific application fees.


All applicants for graduate admission must submit official transcripts from every graduate and undergraduate institution attended (including UDM). A single transcript listing courses taken at other institutions will not be sufficient. Applicants must request the registrar at each institution to send the official transcript directly to the graduate programs office of the college to which application is being made.

Applicants who are currently enrolled in undergraduate programs should request that an official transcript be sent at the time of application. A "final" official transcript, certifying completion of all degree requirements, should be sent when all course work is completed.

Test Results

Applicants for graduate programs may be required to submit the results of customary standardized exams such as the GRE or the GMAT. Consult the program information section of this Catalog for specific information concerning such requirements.

Other Documentation

Some programs may require letters of recommendation, letters of intent, statements of work performance, etc. Consult the program information section of this Catalog for specific information concerning such requirements.


Notice of the decision regarding application for admission will be sent from the office of the dean of the college in which the program is offered.

Admission Statuses

The following admission statuses may not apply to all colleges or programs. Acceptance within any status is at the discretion of the program director and/or dean of the college.

Regular Status

Fully qualified applicants admitted to a regular graduate degree program are granted Regular status. They must fulfill all requirements of the University and the program to which they are admitted.

Conditional Status

Conditional status may be granted to students who possess a bachelorís degree from an accredited institution but who do not meet the regular requirements for admission or to applicants who have received the bachelorís degree or its equivalent at a non-regionally-accredited institution. Such admission requires the recommendation of the program director and the approval of the dean of the college.

Upon the completion of not more than 12 credit hours, a decision will be made regarding admission to regular status or dismissal. Acceptance requires a minimum B average for all courses attempted and the fulfillment of all other requirements established by the program director. The hours taken during conditional status may be counted as credit toward the fulfillment of degree requirements with the permission of the program director.

In some cases applicants with a bachelorís degree may be required to enroll in some undergraduate courses to strengthen their background in preparation for graduate study. Courses taken in such circumstances will not be accepted for graduate credit.

Provisional Status

Provisional status may be granted to students with a bachelorís or equivalent degree from an accredited college who appear to meet the quantitative and qualitative standards for regular admission, but who lack the official transcripts or test results necessary for regular admission. Provisional admission is granted for a single termís registration.

Provisional status is temporary. Applicants admitted provisionally agree, by their registration, to abide by the final decision of their dean with reference to acceptance or rejection of their application for graduate study after the receipt and evaluation of official transcripts and/or test results by the University.

Unclassified Status

Unclassified status is granted to applicants not seeking a graduate degree or whose admission to a graduate program has been deferred or who are (1) undecided about their area of specialization or (2) seeking professional development. A bachelorís degree is required for admission to the unclassified status. A maximum of 12 credit hours taken under unclassified status may be applied to a degree program. Applicants must submit an application form but need not submit transcripts or test results unless requested to do so. Unclassified students must obtain approval from the program director and the dean of the college in which the graduate courses are offered prior to registration in any given term.

Admission to unclassified status does not constitute admission to a graduate program. Students wishing to pursue a graduate degree or certificate must apply to the program of their choice and meet all the admission requirements of that program.

Guest Student Status

Students in good standing at other Michigan institutions who wish to take a course or a limited number of courses to be transferred back to their "home" institutions may enroll as Guest students. Students may apply for guest student admission by submitting an application for the Michigan Intercollegiate Graduate Studies (MIGS) Program.

This application may be obtained from the Graduate Program Office at most Michigan institutions. Students enrolled in institutions outside the state of Michigan must present a letter from their home institutions which indicates that they are in good standing and the specific course(s) the student may take. This letter must be signed by the dean of the graduate program at the home institution.

Guest student status is not continuous. A new application must be filed for any term in which the student desires to enroll at the University of Detroit Mercy.

Post-Degree Student Status

Students who possess a bachelorís degree and wish to pursue a limited number of credit courses at the undergraduate level may be admitted as Post-Degree students. Post-Degree students may not register for graduate level courses, must maintain the same scholastic standards and meet the same class requirements and course prerequisites as degree-seeking students. Post-degree students apply with an undergraduate application. That form and the Undergraduate Catalog are available from the Undergraduate Admissions Office.


Any student who has not been enrolled at the University for two calendar years must apply for readmission. Readmission forms are available in the college office. Upon seeking readmission, students must consult with the program director and/or dean of the college to determine their degree status and requirements.

Senior Privilege

University of Detroit Mercy undergraduate seniors with at least a 3.25 GPA may be permitted to take a limited number of graduate credits (nine credits) to be used either toward an undergraduate or graduate degree. Such courses cannot be counted for credit towards both the graduate and undergraduate degrees and they would appear on only one transcript (graduate or undergraduate). The student must have earned at least 110 hours and obtain the approval of the director of the graduate program offering the courses to be taken. Registration for graduate courses is by Senior Privilege Authorization Form only and the designation of whether the courses are being taken for undergraduate or graduate credit must be made at the time the form is submitted.

Permission to enroll in graduate courses under senior privilege does not imply acceptance into a graduate program. Students enrolled through senior privilege must follow the procedures and meet the established requirements in order to continue their graduate study.

Advanced Standing

Advanced standing may be allowed for courses taken in an earlier masterís degree program at the University of Detroit Mercy. Advanced standing is occasionally allowed for satisfactory work done in another recognized graduate school prior to enrollment in a graduate program at the University of Detroit Mercy.

Transfer of Credit

Students may transfer up to 12 semester hours from another graduate school or program (some programs may specify less) with the approval of the program director or the dean. Transfer credit will be granted for advanced undergraduate courses open to graduate students only if written verification is provided from an official of the institution verifying that the courses were completed for graduate credit. (Quarter-hour courses are converted to semester hours.)

A minimum grade of B (3.0 on a 4.0 scale) is required in all courses presented for transfer. All transfer courses must fall within the time limits established by the program in which a student wishes to enroll.

Petitions for advanced standing or transfer credits are available in the college office. Official transcripts must be supplied.

Students wishing to take graduate courses at other institutions must obtain the written approval of the dean and program director prior to enrolling in such courses. Such courses must be open to graduate students only. No more than one semester credit will be allowed per week of short courses or seminars. Some programs do not permit students to take graduate courses at other institutions subsequent to admission and enrollment at UDM.

Admission of International Students

Applicants from countries other than the U.S. are urged to complete an international application at least five months before classes begin. Completed applications with the $50.00 application fee should be mailed to International Services Admissions. Students needing form I-20 for a student visa must fulfill the requirements thereof, including proof of adequate financial support.

Academic Background

Graduate students from abroad must provide evidence of completion or near completion of at least four years of university studies leading to a degree equivalent to an American bachelorís degree.

English Proficiency

Proficiency in English is not required for admission to the University of Detroit Mercy. However, students for whom English is not the native language or who have not successfully completed a degree program at an approved U.S. institution, will be required to take an English proficiency test upon arrival at the University. All students whose scores indicate that they are not yet proficient in English are required to enroll in the American Language and Culture Program. Depending upon their score, students will be assigned to Intensive English (23 hours per week), Intermediate English (nine hours per week), or Advanced English (three to six hours per week).

American Language and Culture Program

Students who have not been admitted to an academic program, but who wish to develop their English proficiency, may apply specifically for admission to the American Language and Culture Program without applying for a major.

Financial Support

The total cost of tuition, room, board, books, etc. as estimated for the academic year range from $20,000-$22,000 depending on the academic program. All applicants must provide evidence of adequate financial support prior to the issuance of form I-20. Forms for this purpose are included in the application packet.

Transfer Students

Students with an F-1 or J-1 visa who wish to transfer from another university to the University of Detroit Mercy must have their transfer approved by the University of Detroit Mercy International Services Office prior to enrollment.

Applications for admission along with evidence of financial support should be mailed directly to:

International Services
of Detroit Mercy
PO Box 19900
Detroit, MI 48219-0900

Telephone: (313) 993-1205
Fax: (313) 993-1192


2002-2003* Tuition & Fees Schedule

Application Fees



Graduate Ė master/specialist


Graduate Ė doctoral




Graduate Tuition

Liberal Arts & Education, Science, Business Administration, Health Professions, Nursing, Study Abroad, per credit hour



Nurse Anesthesiology


Track I per term


Track II per term


Physician Assistant

1-4 credit hours per credit hour


2 year program, 5 or more cr. hrs
(flat rate per term)


3 year program, 5 or more cr. hrs
(flat rate per term)



1-11 credit hours, per credit hour


12-18 credit hours flat rate


Engineering, per credit hour


Other Sites

As announced



General Fees

Registration/Service Fees (non-refundable)


Part-time Students             


Full-time Students            


Late Payment Fee


Late Registration Fee





Residency Fees*



(double/single rooms)

East, North, South Quads


Holden Hall/Shiple


West Quad Second-Fourth Floors


*Local telephone and cable service included.

Meal Plans




19 meals/$20 DB


14 meals/$100 DB


9 meals/$200 DB


5 meals/$350 DB



500 DB (co-op students)


All resident students, except West Quad and Holden Hall residents are required to take a board plan.

Single occupancy is subject to availability.

All other rates for special or guest housing are subject to negotiation with the Residence Hall director.

Miscellaneous Fees


Full tuition

Returned Check Fee


Service Charge on Past-due Balances

1.5% per month

Courses Fees

Varies per course

Duplicate Diploma or Certificate Fee


Graduation Fee (Includes academic regalia)


Tuition Deposit




Cooperative Training Assignment


†††† Full time


†††† Part time


I.D. Card Replacement


Supplementary Tuition & Fee Information

Extension Programs/Credit (consult program director)
Summer Workshops (per course as advertised)
ALCP Intensive English Tuition (per course)
Intensive English Book Fee ALCP Intermediate, Advanced (per course)

*This schedule is effective with TERM 1/Fall, 2002-2003 and is subject to change.

Tuition Refund Policy

General Information

Students must withdraw from a class or service according to proper procedure once they have registered for that class or service. This is the only way academic and financial obligations for a registered class or service can be modified. The proper procedure is for the student to complete an official academic withdrawal in writing on the appropriate form available in the college or school in which they are enrolled.

Withdrawal from the Residence Life and Food service plans must be completed in writing on the appropriate form available in the Office of Residence Life director. The official date of withdrawal will be the date on which the college office executes the change form.

A 100 percent tuition refund of charges will be granted to students who withdraw from the University or before the end of the sixth day of the term. Refunds of tuition for withdrawals occurring after this date will be pro-rated according to the Universityís Refund Schedule.

The refund of tuition charges will be available on a credit hour basis according to the University Refund Schedule. Refunds will first be applied to any financial aid received by the student and then to the studentís indebtedness to the University.

Refund Variance Committee

Students who withdraw after the 100 percent refund period due to circumstances beyond their control may appeal to the Variance Committee for a 100 percent refund of tuition. The student must complete a Petition for Refund and submit it to the Student Accounting Office. Supporting documentation should be included with the petition. Examples of documentation include the following: a letter from the attending physician, a letter from the employer or a recommendation from the college office. The petition will take approximately 30 days to process. Please note: the student must withdraw from classes prior to submitting the petition.

University Refund Schedule

Period of studentís attendance from
beginning of second day of term/session

Percent of tuition refund for lengths of terms or sessions


9-16 wks

6-8 wks

One week or less



Between one and two weeks



Between two and three weeks



Between three and four weeks



Over four weeks



Residence Halls Refund Policy

A student may cancel a residence hall agreement if he or she so notifies the Office of Residence Life in writing at least 30 days prior to the first day of classes of each term. The student who cancels after the first day of class or after picking up the keys to his/her room and floor will be charged for the entire semester. After the first day of classes of any term until the end of the term, students must request an agreement release in order to cancel their housing agreement. Releases will be given for the following reasons only:

ó Graduation
ó Withdrawal from the University
ó Marriage
ó Medical reasons (verified by the director of Student Health Services or Office of Student Affairs) which are of such a nature as to pose potential physical or mental harm to the student or to other residents.
ó Co-op assignment away from the greater Detroit Metropolitan area.
ó Financial (request must be accompanied by a letter from Financial Aid Office indicating at least a 30% decrease in award, or other substantial documentation.)

In the event of approved withdrawal from the University residence hall system, refunds are subject to a pro-rated assessment for the period of residence. The effective termination date will be the day upon which all of the following have been accomplished:

ó The student has canceled in writing.
ó The student has removed all belongings from the room.
ó Appropriate check out forms have been completed.
ó Room and building keys and key tags have been surrendered to the Office of Residence Life.

Students found withdrawing from school and re-registering at a later date during the period of the original agreement for the purpose of securing an agreement release will be assessed all housing and board charges for the year.

Meal Plan Refunds

Exemptions from the mandatory meal plan requirements are granted on an individual basis. All appeals should be made in writing to the Meal Plan Exemption Committee c/o Controllerís Office. Students who totally withdraw from the University will be refunded for the food plan on a pro-rata assessment basis for the period of use.

Administrative Withdrawal Policy

Students who have enrolled in classes but have not made a payment or payment arrangements by the payment due date will be notified of the Universityís intention to withdraw them from classes. This policy does not apply to those students who have received financial aid awards. Students who still have not made satisfactory arrangements by the end of final day of registration will be dropped from their classes.

Students who are withdrawn lose their enrollment in the class (es) they were registered for and must follow the normal add/drop policies to be re-registered into classes. This requires obtaining instructorís signature and advisorís signature for open classes that have met or are closed and advisorís signature for open classes during the add/drop week. A late registration fee will be assessed for those re-registering.

2002-2003 Payment Plans

Payment Methods:

ó Cash, check or money order.
ó Charge card (VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Discover). Remember to enter your account number on the back of your student account statement and mail it in the envelope provided with your statement, or you may charge your payment by calling the Student Accounting Office.

Payment Options

ó Pay the balance in full and avoid any additional fees. Payments made by mail must be received two weeks before the first day of term, or pay in person up to the payment due date as published in the Schedule of Classes for the appropriate term.
ó If you want to pay in installments you must enroll in our Interest- Free monthly payment option plan administered by Tuition Management Systems. For further information contact the Student Accounting Office or you may contact Tuition Management Systems directly. See information below.
ó Submit documentation from your employer or other sponsoring agencies that authorizes the university to bill them for your tuition.
ó Your tuition may be deferred if you submit documentation to verify that you are eligible for tuition reimbursement benefits from your employer.

Tuition Management Systemsí Interest-Free Monthly Payment Option

The Interest-Free Monthly Payment Option allows you to maximize your savings and income by spreading your education expenses over 10 or 9 interest- free monthly payments for the academic year, or 5 or 4 interest-free monthly payments for each term. These convenient options eliminate larger annual or semester payments. Education payment life insurance is optional. You have toll-free access to knowledgeable and friendly Education Payment Counselors six days week and automated account access every hour of every day.

The University of Detroit Mercy offers these services in partnership with Tuition Management Systems, the nations number one- rated provider of education payment services.

Tuition Management Systemsí education payment counselors are available any time between 8 a.m. and 10 p.m. weekdays and from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday (EST) at 1-800-722-4867. From out-side of the U.S. dial (401) 849-1550

To learn more about Tuition Management Systems, visit their website at http:// or e-mail

Collection Activity

Should a student not return to classes the following term, a collection notice is sent (approximately the second month of the new term) to the student, advising him/her that an outstanding tuition account balance must be paid to avoid having the account forwarded to a collection agency.


Financial Assistance

A limited number of fellowships, assistantships and tuition scholarships are available each year in various program areas. Fellowships usually involve remission of tuition and academic fees for two academic terms or, in some circumstances, for the entire year. Some may include stipends.

Upon admission, students should apply for graduate fellowships and assistantships available through the graduate program to which they have been accepted. Designated recipients will be required to respond to the offer within 30 days. After that period, the University reserves the right to rescind its offer and notify a designated alternative that the award is available.

Graduate Awards

Recipients of graduate fellowships and assistantships must remain full-time students, in good standing in their major, during the period of the award. Duties and responsibilities of award recipients are defined by the dean and are limited to teaching, research and/or other activities related to scholarship and must remain enrolled as full-time students in their major program. Failure to fulfill the obligations of an assistantship or fellowship may result in immediate termina- tion of the award. Approximately 20 hours per week should be devoted to these duties. For further information on the availability and guidelines for these awards, contact the dean of the college to which the application will be made.

Financial Aid

Financial assistance based upon need is available to students enrolled at least half-time (five credits per term) in programs leading to a graduate degree. This assistance includes Federal Work Study and the Michigan Tuition Grant Program (for Michigan residents who qualify). In addition, Stafford Loans may be available from your bank, saving/loan or other lending agency. Graduate students who demonstrate financial need may borrow a Subsidized Stafford loan of up to $8,500 per academic year. (Subsidized means the interest is paid by the government while the student is enrolled at least half-time.) The Unsubsidized Stafford provides additional funds, not based on financial need, of up to $10,000 per academic year. (The student is responsible for the interest on the unsubsidized amount while in school; however, principal and interest payments can be postponed.) The combination of the subsidized and unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans cannot exceed $18,500 per academic year. The interest rate is variable up to 8.25 percent and is adjusted July 1 each year. Repayment terms of up to 10 years are available. Repayment begins six months after a student graduates, drops to less than half-time enrollment or leaves school.

Alternative loans, based on cost of your education, less other financial aid, are available to graduate students. Some examples are Grad Excel, Chase Signature Student Loan, Law Access Loan (LAL), Law Student Loan (LSL), Teri, MI-Loan, Citi Assist, Plato and Dental Alternative DEAL Loan. Eligibility for these loans is based on individual credit worthiness. Borrowing limits and interest rates vary, depending upon the type of loan.

Information on these programs may be obtained by writing to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office, University of Detroit Mercy, FAC 200, P.O. Box 19900, Detroit, MI 48219-0900 or by calling (313) 993-3350 (McNichols Campus) or 993-6120 (Outer Drive Campus.)

A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form is required for each academic year the student wants to be considered for grants, work-study or loans.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

In order to receive financial aid funds from federal, state and institutional sources, all students must make satisfactory academic progress toward a degree. All graduate students (not professional school students) must earn a Grade Point Average (GPA) of at least 3.0 during at least one of two semesters of each academic year and must maintain a 3.0 G.P.A.

1. Full-time students (those who register for at least nine credit hours per semester) must complete a 36 hour degree program by the end of the third academic year.
Students enrolled in a program of study requiring more than 36 credit hours must complete a minimum of 12 credit hours in each year beyond the third year. The only exception to this policy will be made for students requiring fewer than 12 hours to graduate.
2. Less than full-time students (those who register for less than nine credit hours per semester) must complete a 36 hour degree program in a maximum of four academic years.
Students enrolled in a program of study requiring more than 36 credit hours must complete a minimum of nine credit hours in each year beyond the fourth year. The only exception to this policy is made for students requiring less than nine hours to graduate.

For financial aid purposes, grades of A, B, C, D and S are considered passing grades. Classes elected for audit (AUD) are not considered when determining eligibility. Grades of I and F will be considered non-passing grades. A grade of I, if changed to a passing grade, will be taken into consideration. A grade of W or NR (no record) will not be counted in the calculation of the quality point average and the course in which the grade is received will not be considered in the calculation of incremental requirement.


Students who repeat a course during a semester must meet the grade point and increment standard for the year for continued eligibility for financial aid.

Students receiving financial aid who fail to meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) standards will be placed on probation for one semester. While on probation, students will be considered to be making satisfactory academic progress. First time financial aid applicants who do not meet SAP requirements will also be placed on probation.

Students who do not meet SAP requirements will be notified by letter after Term II grades are posted. If you, as a student, receive a "Financial Aid Probation Notice and Satisfactory Academic Progress Contract," you should follow the steps below:

1. Examine the notice carefully. If you have questions about the notice or if you believe you have met the SAP requirements, contact your financial aid counselor.
2. Once you have examined the notice and contract, make an appointment to meet with your academic advisor or dean to discuss your academic progress, schedule your classes for the upcoming term and complete the SAP contract. Your advisor will try to assist in making class choices which will fulfill both the requirement of the SAP policy and the requirements of the college. (Please remember that the requirements of the college may be more stringent than those of the SAP policy.) It is very important that you select your classes wisely so that you will not be overburdened, yet will meet the minimum SAP requirements.
3. Return the completed contract to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office by September 1. No financial aid will be disbursed until the signed contract is returned to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office.
4. Do your best to meet the requirements of the contract during your probationary semester. If the contract specifies that you must complete a minimum number of credit hours, be aware that dropping classes may result in the loss of financial aid for future semesters. If the contract specifies both a credit hour and a QPA requirement, you must meet both requirements during your probationary semester.
5. At the end of your probationary semester, your academic progress will be reviewed. If the SAP requirements have been met, your probation will end. If you failed to meet the minimum SAP requirements, no further financial aid will be disbursed to you until those requirements are met. If you did not meet the SAP requirements during your probationary semester because of mitigating circumstances, you may make a written appeal to continue your probation for one additional semester.

Appeals and Mitigating Circumstances

A student denied financial aid because of failure to make SAP may appeal the denial in writing to the Scholarship and Financial Aid Office if there are mitigating circumstances. The appeal must describe in detail all circumstances which the student believes are relative to his or her inability to meet the SAP requirements. Students must submit letters of appeal, plus any supporting documents, by the end of the first week of classes (late registration week).

Regaining Financial Aid Eligibility

If a student becomes ineligible for financial aid because of unsatisfactory academic progress, he or she may regain eligibility by meeting the SAP policy without the benefit of financial aid from the University of Detroit Mercy. To do this, the student must enroll and complete courses which are applicable to a degree at the University of Detroit Mercy. The student must also achieve the number of credit hours and/or quality point average sufficient to meet the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy.

To find out more about regaining financial aid eligibility, the student should contact both the academic advisor and a financial aid counselor for assistance.

Return of Title IV Funds/Institutional Refund Policy

This policy applies to students who withdraw or are expelled, and refunds for these students are determined according to the following policy:

The term "Title IV Funds" refers to the Federal financial aid programs authorized under the Higher Education Act of 1965 (as amended) and includes the following programs: unsubsidized FFEL loans, subsidized FFEL loans, Federal Perkins loans, FFEL PLUS loans, Federal Pell Grants, Federal SEOG.

A studentís withdrawal date is: the date the student began the institutionís withdrawal process or officially notified the institution of intent to withdraw; or the midpoint of the period for a student who leaves without notifying the institution; or the studentís last date of attendance at a documented academically-related activity

Refunds on all charges including tuition, room and board, and fees will be prorated based on the University policy.

Title IV aid and all other aid is earned in a prorated manner on a per diem basis up to the 60% point in the semester. Title IV aid and all other aid is viewed as 100% earned after that point in time. A copy of the worksheet used for this calculation can be requested from the Financial Aid Office.

In accordance with federal regulations, when financial aid is involved, refunds are allocated in the following order: unsubsidized FFEL loans, subsidized FFEL loans, Federal Perkins loans, FFEL PLUS loans, Federal Pell Grants, Federal SEOG, other Title IV assistance, other Federal sources of aid, other state, private and institutional aid, and finally the student.

The studentís responsibilities in regard to the return of Title IV funds include returning to the Title IV programs any funds that were disbursed directly to the student and which the student was determined to be ineligible for (via the Return of Title IV Funds calculation), within 45 days after notice from the University of an overpayment of a grant.

Academic Information & Procedures

Graduate Grading System

Grading Scale


Quality Points


Credit Earned



















Below graduate standards
































(The grade of "W" is not faculty assignable.)








No Record (Temporary)




Satisfactory (Temporary)




Unsatisfactory (Temporary)


("S" and "U" are temporary grades for research in progress, internships and practica.)

*Policies relating to the applicability of courses towards graduation in which a grade of C or less is received are determined within each college.

Incomplete Work

A petition for a grade of I, Incomplete, is required and may be approved or disapproved at the discretion of the instructor. This grade is only appropriate at the end of the term when the majority of the course requirements have been completed but for serious reason the student is unable to complete the remaining course requirements. Graduate regulations require that the work be completed no later than April 1 for fall term courses and December 1 for courses in winter or summer terms. The instructor, the department, or the college may establish earlier dates for the completion of incomplete work. Students should acquaint themselves with the deadlines established by their programs. Students who fail to complete the course by the established deadlines lose the right to complete the course. The grade of I remains the grade of record on the permanent transcript.

Students with an excused absence from a final examination must complete the examination within two weeks of the scheduled date, unless the appropriate college administrator permits a further extension of the deadline in writing.


A limited number of specific courses in some programs are graded on a Pass/Fail basis. The grade of P earns credit but is not counted in the calculation of the GPA. Pass/Fail option is determined by the course. Students cannot elect Pass/Fail.

Satisfactory and Unsatisfactory

The grades S or U may be used at the graduate level for practica, for internships, for thesis or dissertation research or for credits for experiential learning earned by examination. S or U grades are temporary and do not contribute to the GPA; a U does not earn graduate credit. The S grade indicates the studentís work, if continued, is equivalent to a B or higher; the U grade indicates the studentís work is equivalent to a B- or lower. At the discretion of the program director, the S or U grade may be converted to an appropriate traditional letter grade when the project is completed.


No record is made of individual course withdrawals during the first full week of classes. A withdrawn statement will be recorded on the student record of those individuals who totally withdraw during the second, third, or fourth week of classes or during the first 25 percent of the course. Students withdrawing during the middle 50 percent of a course will receive the grade of W for each course dropped. This grade will appear on the studentís grade report and transcript, but will not be counted in hours attempted or the GPA calculation.

A graduate student may withdraw from a course at any time during the first 75 percent of the course. Please refer to the Schedule of Classes for specific dates. After that date, written approval of the course instructor, program director and dean is required for withdrawal. Such permission will be granted only for serious reasons. Students are normally expected to continue class attendance until all required signatures for the withdrawal are attained. No withdrawal may be made after the final class or examination.

Withdrawals are processed on a Change of Registration form available in the office of the dean. Upon completing the form and obtaining approval, it must be filed with the Registrar within one week.


Space permitting, students may attend classes at the prevailing tuition rate without receiving credits or grades. Students who wish to attend a course without credit or grade may register for the course as auditors. At the conclusion of the course the grade of AUD will be recorded on the student record, which carries no credit or quality points.

Students wishing to change a course registration to this status may do so by means of the change of registration procedure by the end of the second week of the term. Once chosen, Audit cannot be changed to regular credit.

No Record

A grade of NR may temporarily be assigned when the instructor has no record of a student ever attending class although the name still appears on the final grade list as being registered for the course. NR grades will be reviewed during the six weeks after the semester to determine if they should be deleted, changed to ĎWí or ĎFí grades. NR is not a permanent grade.

Repeating a Course

A student may, with the approval of the program director and dean, repeat a graduate course. When a course is repeated, the last grade is averaged with the previous grade in computing the quality point averages. All entries remain a part of the studentís permanent academic record. For a repeated course, credit toward graduation is received only once.

Grade Grievances

In some instances a student may believe that the final grade received in a particular course is unjustified. In such cases the student may choose to appeal the grade received. Each college has published written grievance procedures that must be followed. A copy of this procedure should be obtained from the dean of the college offering the course. In general, students are advised to consult with the instructor concerned prior to beginning the appeal process.

All appeals should be filed within 30 days after the grade report is received. The decision of the college/school dean is final. Appeal to the academic vice president will be considered only on procedural grounds.

Grade Point Average

The grade point average (GPA) is used to describe the general level of the studentís academic performance at the University. Grade points are assigned to each grade. By illustration: A =4.0, A-=3.7, B+=3.3, etc. The number of grade points earned in a particular course is determined by multiplying the grade points assigned to the grade given, by the number of credit hours for the course.

A grade point average is calculated by dividing the sum of the grade points earned by the number of credit hours attempted. The grades of I, S, P, U, W, and AUD are not included in the calculation. Grades earned at other institutions and transferred to the University are not shown on the transcript or used in the calculation of the GPA.

Grade Reports

A report of the studentís academic performance is prepared at the end of each term. This report indicates the studentís performance for that term and a cumulative summary of the studentís academic progress. These reports are mailed to students, by the college office typically within one week following the end of the semester. Beginning in Winter 2001-2002, grades are also available online at, using a pin number assigned to each student.


The permanent, official record of a studentís academic performance and progress is maintained by the office of the Registrar, Room 80, Fisher Administrative Center. Requests for official copies of transcripts must be made in writing or can be ordered by phone if charging by credit card. Copies are available for $5.00 per copy; a 48-hour notice is required.

Classification of Students

Students are classified as full- or part-time based upon the number of credit hours for which they are registered in a term. A full-time student in a graduate program is enrolled for at least nine credit hours. A part-time student in a graduate program is enrolled for one to eight credit hours. The normal maximum number of credits a student enrolled in graduate study may take is 12 credit hours.There are exceptions made to the above for students in some graduate programs. Please check with the graduate program director or the Office of the Registrar for questions and exceptions.

Michigan Intercollegiate Graduate Studies (MIGS) Program

The University of Detroit Mercy is one of many Michigan colleges and universities with graduate programs participating in MIGS. Graduate students who are in good standing in a University of Detroit Mercy degree program are eligible to elect courses at any of the other participating graduate schools in Michigan with the approval of both the host and home institution.

Students on a MIGS enrollment pay tuition and other fees normally charged by the host institution for the services rendered. All credits earned under a MIGS enrollment are accepted by the University. This type of enrollment is limited to six credits for masterís or specialist degree students and nine credits for doctoral degree students. Students are responsible for arranging to have official transcripts forwarded to their home institution upon completion of work.

Students interested in this program should contact their advisors and the deanís office of their college for further information and instructions.

Academic Standards

Graduate student academic standing is left largely to individual graduate programs which act consistently with the norms of graduate education and University academic standards. To remain in good standing, a graduate student must maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0 computed on the basis of all courses attempted for graduate credit, including thesis/dissertation, while enrolled in a particular graduate program.

The following pertain to the maintenance of good academic standing.

Academic Warning

Students whose grade point average falls below 3.0 in any term will receive a warning from the college in which they are enrolled. Such warning enables students to take early corrective action concerning their academic performance.

Academic Probation

Students are placed on probation when it appears that their performance places their academic objectives in jeopardy. A student whose cumulative quality point average is below 3.0 is automatically placed on academic probation. Individual programs or colleges may establish additional criteria for placing a student on probation. A student who fails to raise the cumulative average to a 3.0 or satisfy the additional program/college criteria in the following term is subject to dismissal for poor scholarship. If a student has completed the requisite number of credit hours for his or her degree but he or she has failed to achieve a 3.0 cumulative GPA, he or she may take up to six additional hours in an attempt to establish the necessary 3.0 grade point average.

A dean may, at his or her discretion, establish specific requirements or conditions for a student on scholastic probation. The dean may require the student to enroll in particular courses, repeat courses, establish a maximum and minimum number of credit hours to be attempted or earned, and/or require a specific minimum quality point average for the next term. Failure to meet such conditions, when established, may lead to dismissal.

Graduate students on probation have the privilege of applying for admission to another college or school within the University. If accepted by that school, the student may be admitted on probationary status.

The Veterans Administration will be informed if a student receiving veteranís benefits fails to come off probation at the end of the second term in this status.

Academic Dismissal

Students may be dismissed from the college in which they are enrolled as a result of poor academic performance. Dismissal may occur when a student has not achieved a 3.0 cumulative quality point average in the term following one in which he or she was placed on probation, when terms or conditions established for probation have not been met or when the academic record reflects poor performance.

Students who wish to appeal an academic dismissal should contact the deanís office immediately upon their receipt of notice that they have been dismissed. If first contact is made by telephone or in person, it should be immediately followed by a written statement of intent to appeal the dismissal. Each college has written procedures which govern appeal from an academic dismissal. These procedures will be explained to the student upon request.

Students dismissed from one of the Universityís colleges for academic reasons may be considered for admission to a different college within the University. Regular admission procedures must be followed. Dismissal for poor scholarship is entered upon the studentís permanent academic record.

Academic Integrity

As members of the academic community engaged in the pursuit of truth and with a special concern for values, students must conform to a high standard of honesty and integrity in their academic work.

Instances where academic misconduct occurs include, but are not limited to, falsification or misrepresentation of material used in the admission process, presenting the work of others as oneís own, theft, plagiarism and cheating. These actions pose a threat to the academic integrity of the University and its mission and will be treated accordingly.

Academic misconduct is subject to disciplinary sanctions. These sanctions include, but are not limited to, reprimand, probation, suspension and dismissal. Students are required to familiarize themselves with the specific protocols of their school or college, available in each respective deanís office or college/school Academic Policy Handbook. Students also have the responsibility to consult the University of Detroit Mercy Student Handbook for further information on other academic policies and University procedures.

Degree Requirements

The following are the minimum University standards for graduate degrees. Colleges and programs impose SPECIFIC requirements which the student must meet prior to a degree being conferred. Consult the program section of this Catalog for specific requirements.

Earned Hours

All masterís degree programs require a minimum of 30 semester hours beyond the baccalaureate level. Students completing a thesis (elected or required) may use six hours of thesis credit toward the minimum total required. Not all masterís programs have a thesis option available.

All specialist degree programs require a minimum of 60 semester hours beyond the baccalaureate level.

All doctoral degree programs require a minimum of 48 semester hours beyond the baccalaureate level and a doctoral dissertation. Specific requirements are listed in each program.

Graduate Courses

Only courses numbered 500 and above are recognized as graduate courses. Courses numbered 400-499 are advanced undergraduate courses. The latter may be taken for graduate credit on approval of the department concerned and on condition that distinctive graduate assignments are completed as part of the course. Students must register for the graduate section of any 400-499 level course in order to receive graduate credit. Courses below 400 are not offered for graduate credit. Of the hours of course work required for the degree, at least one-half the total number of hours must be earned in courses numbered 500 and above.


The residence requirement demands a minimum of 18 semester hours of courses be taken at the University of Detroit Mercy for a 30 credit hour masterís program or more than half the course hours in masterís programs requiring more than 30 credits.

The residence requirement for specialist programs is that more than one-half of the courses taken are completed at the University of Detroit Mercy.

The doctoral degree requires a minimum of one uninterrupted year of full-time attendance.

Second Masterís Degree

Students seeking a second masterís degree from the University of Detroit Mercy in a field related to their first degree may, with departmental approval, receive up to 12 credit hours applied to the second degree. Courses that were taken more than five years prior to admission to the second masterís degree program may not be accepted. Applicants should discuss the possibility of such advanced standing with the director of the second degree program. The maximum number of hours accepted is based on the program directorís recommendation and the approval of the dean.

Thesis Requirements - Plan A

Masterís candidates in programs requiring a thesis and candidates in other programs who elect to write a thesis, as well as all doctoral candidates, must present a thesis or dissertation approved by their advisor and program director on some phase of their field of specialization. The thesis or dissertation must be written and typed according to the prescribed format, available in each college deanís office, and be in accord with the other regulations of the University.

The thesis or dissertation topic must be filed with the dean not later than the date determined by the specific program.

All research which involves human subjects must be submitted to the Institutional Review Board before research can begin. Information about regulations governing research involving human subjects may be obtained from the Office of Academic Affairs, Room 500, Fisher Administrative Center.

The thesis or dissertation must be completed, in accordance with all regulations, not later than two years after course requirements have been fulfilled. Masterís theses must be filed in duplicate and dissertations in triplicate with the McNichols Library, Technical Services not later than the date determined by the specific program. Note that some programs require shorter time limits.

Non-Thesis Masterís Program - Plan B

Several departments offer degree candidates an option to receive a masterís degree without requiring a thesis. See individual department listings for details.

Time Limits

The maximum time permitted for completion of a graduate degree is seven years from the time of admission. Some colleges may impose more restrictive time limitations than seven years. Students who need an extension may apply to the dean of the appropriate college.

Comprehensive Examination

The nature of the comprehensive examination is determined by each department where such examination is required. A candidate who fails the required comprehensive examination may repeat it once only at the next date assigned in the Academic Calendar. Failure to pass the repeat comprehensive examination will result in the studentís termination from the academic program.

Student Outcome Assessment

As part of the continuing effort to maintain the quality of academic programs, the University has implemented a system of student outcome assessment, in which students are required to participate. This program is designed to determine the growth of student achievement in general education, and changes in student attitudes and values. In addition, the University of Detroit Mercy also assesses achievement in the studentís academic programs.

Application for Degree

Candidates for degrees must file their applications in the college office by the dates established in the Academic Calendar for the year in which they intend to graduate. Applications for a degree should be filed by October 1 for December graduation; February 1 for May, June, and August graduation. Application forms can be obtained in any College Office or the Registrarís Office.

Applications received after the deadline may result in denial to participate in the Commencement ceremony and/or delay in the date of graduation.


Degrees are formally awarded only at the annual Commencement exercises of the University in May. Students who have completed their degree requirements at any point in the preceding academic year are invited to participate. June and August graduates may be permitted to participate in the May commencement exercises by permission of their college. Students must submit their applications by the deadline in order to participate.

Release of Student Records

The University maintains the confidentiality of student records in accordance with the provisions of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 as amended. At the University, the Registrar coordinates the inspection and review procedures for student records which include administration, personal, academic and financial files as well as cooperative education and placement records. No one outside the institution may have access to the studentís educational records without the written consent of the student except: officials of other institutions in which the student seeks to enroll; persons or organizations providing student financial aid; accrediting agencies carrying out their accreditation functions; persons in compliance with a judicial order or subpoena; and persons in an emergency in order to protect the health and safety of students or other persons.

Educational records or components thereof may be made available without the studentís written consent to personnel within the University who are determined by the institution to have a legitimate educational interest.

Students may review their educational records by making written requests to the Registrar. Students may not inspect financial information submitted by their parents; confidential letters and recommendations associated with admissions, employment or job placement or honors, to which they have waived their right of inspection and review; or educational records containing information about more than one student. The University is not required to permit students to inspect and review confidential letters and recommendations placed in their files prior to January 1, 1975.

The University may disclose the following categories of public or "directory information" for any purpose, at its discretion: Name, addresses, telephone number, dates of attendance, class, previous institutions attended, major field of study, awards, honors (includes Deanís List), degrees conferred (including dates), past and present participation in recognized sports and activities, physical factors (e.g. height, weight of athletes), date and place of birth and photograph. Currently enrolled students may withhold disclosure of any such information under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. To withhold disclosure, written notification must be received by the Registrar prior to the end of the first week of classes for each semester or period of study.

Registering for Classes

Specific and current information on the policies, procedures, dates and deadlines governing class registration is provided in the Schedule of Classes published prior to each term. Copies of the Schedule of Classes are available on the UDM website, or may be obtained from any College Office or the Registrarís Office during the registration period.


Most students find it advantageous to register early for classes. Earlier registration improves the probability that students will be placed in the courses they prefer at the times most convenient for them.

Registration is offered during the spring for the following fall and during the fall for winter and summer. Students who wish to register should meet with their academic advisor and select the courses they wish to take. They process their Advising and Registration Form in the Registrarís Office according to the dates published in the Schedule of Classes or use web registration, which debuts Fall 2002-03.

Consult the section of this Catalog on "Tuition and Fees" for information on payment requirements, etc.

Late Registration

Students who, for good and sufficient reasons, were unable to register during the regular registration period may register during the first week of class. Students desiring to register late should report to their deanís office as early as possible during the first week. Students who attempt to register after the first week of classes may not be allowed to register for that semester. Special fees are assessed on all students who register late. University policy prohibits unregistered students from attending classes.

Changes in Registration

Registered students may change course registration by completing a Change in Registration form, available in their deanís office, and by obtaining the appropriate signatures. Add/drops can be completed on the web up until the final day of registration for the semester.

To be official, completed Change in Registration forms must be filed according to procedures established by their deanís office.

Students should be aware that any change which affects a studentís status as full- or part-time may have an impact on his/her financial obligations, financial aid and/or visa status.

Important dates pertaining to the changes in registration described below are listed in each termís Schedule of Classes.

Add/Drop Period

Registered students may change course registration during the first week of classes. Such changes may be necessitated by closed classes during registration or by the addition or deletion of scheduled courses. Signatures by both the instructor and deansí offices of the college/school in which oneís program is located are required for adding classes during this period.

Adding a Course

Any course added requires the signature of the instructor as well as signatures required by the studentís college (advisor and/or dean) once the course has met.

Dropping a Course

Students may drop a course from their schedule by obtaining the signatures required by their college on the Change in Registration form and filing that form in the Registrarís Office. If a course is dropped by the end of the fourth week, no record of enrollment for the course will appear on the studentís transcript. Refunds must be applied for at the Student Accounting Office. Refund schedules may be found in the Schedule of Classes.

Forced Withdrawal

In some cases a "Change in Registration" may be initiated by the University to remove a student from a class (or classes) in which he/she is registered. This action may be taken when a student has failed to follow the procedures, regulations or requirements of the University or college or when the student has gained registration in a particular class or classes by misrepresentation. When such actions are taken, the course instructor and the student are notified.

Attendance Policy

Regular and punctual attendance is expected in all classes. Students are responsible for work missed because of late registration or for any other reason. Faculty communicate in writing their attendance policy to students in the first class session of the term/semester. Faculty may recommend that a student withdraw from class when absence prevents the student from achieving the objectives of the course.

Accreditations and Memberships

Vital to the Universityís public accountability are its accreditations. The University of Detroit Mercy is fully accredited by the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, 30 North LaSalle Street, Suite 2400, Chicago, IL 60602-2504


The University is listed by the Board of Regents of the University of the State of New York and by the Department of Public Instruction of the State of Pennsylvania among their registered institutions.

The University is a member of the Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities, the Association of Mercy Colleges, Mercy Higher Education Colloquium, the National Catholic Educational Association, the Association of Independent Colleges and Universities of Michigan and the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities. The University is included in the list of institutions providing membership eligibility in the American Association of University Women.

The School of Architecture is accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board, the only accrediting agency for architecture in the nation. It is a member of the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture.

The College of Business Administration undergraduate and graduate business programs are accredited by AACSB International Ė The Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business.

The School of Dentistry and the Dental Hygiene, Doctor of Dental Surgery Programs and the Advanced Education Programs in Endodontics and Orthodontics are accredited by the American Dental Associationís Commission on Dental Accreditation.

The College of Engineering and Science curricula leading to the degree of Bachelor of Chemical Engineering, Bachelor of Civil Engineering, Bachelor of Electrical Engineering, and Bachelor of Mechanical Engineering are accredited by the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology. The Bachelor of Science program in Chemistry is certified by the American Chemical Societyís Committee on Professional Training. The Bachelor of Science program in Biochemistry is within the guidelines stipulated by the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.

The College of Health Professionsí Physician Assistant Program is accredited by the Accreditation Review Commission for the Education of the Physician Assistant.

The McAuley School of Nursing undergraduate and graduate programs are accredited by the National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission. The Master of Science in Nurse Anesthesiology Program is nationally accredited by the Council on Accreditation of Nurse Anesthesia Educational Programs/Schools.

The School of Law is accredited by the American Bar Association and is a member of the Association of American Law Schools and the Association of the Religiously Affiliated Law Schools.

In the College of Liberal Arts and Education, the Ph.D. program in Clinical Psychology is accredited by the American Psychological Association.

The Michigan State Board of Education has authorized the College to recommend applicants for certificates to teach in the private and public schools of Michigan. The State Elementary and Secondary Certificate, Provisional and Professional, are issued by the State Board of Education, on the recommendation of the University. The Legal Assistant Program is approved by the American Bar Association. The Social Work Program is accredited by the Council on Social Work Education. The Master of Arts in Counseling program has applied for accreditation by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Education Programs. The College is a member of the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education and the Addiction Program is a member of the National Association of Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors.