August 17, 2004
Convocation this Thursday, August 19
Welcome the academic year with UDM’s new president, Gerard L. Stockhausen, S.J., Ph.D., and new Vice President for Academic Affairs and Provost, Barbara R. Schirmer, Ed.D., at Convocation this Thursday, August 19, in the Superior and St. Clair Ballrooms in the Ward Conference Center on the Outer Drive Campus. The gathering of colleagues and friends will begin with coffee and pastries at 8:30 a.m., followed by the Convocation program at 9:10 a.m. Lunch will be served at noon.
Shared Governance Forums
The Shared Governance Task Force wants your feedback! The following forums will provide an opportunity for faculty, staff and administrators to share their views and opinions on the types of governance models they would like to see at the University. Information about shared governance is available on the committee's web site. Meetings will occur as follows:
- Wednesday, August 25, at 2:30-3:30 p.m. in the Faculty Lounge (staff and administration)
- Wednesday, August 25, at 4-5 p.m. in the Faculty Lounge (faculty)
- Wednesday, September 8, 12:30 - 2 p.m., in the Superior Ballroom, Ward Conference Center (faculty)
- Tuesday, September 14, 12:30 p.m.-2 p.m., in LS113 (faculty)
- Monday, September 20, 1-2:30 p.m. in the Warren Loranger Architecture Exhibit Hall (staff and administration)
- Monday, September 20, 3-4:30 p.m. in the Warren Loranger Architecture Exhibit Hall (faculty)
Inauguration Volunteer Opportunities
UDM will celebrate the inauguration of Rev. Gerard L. Stockhausen, S.J., Ph.D., as President during the week of September 27. Several volunteer opportunities are available to faculty, staff and administrators who wish to participate in the week’s events. Helpers are especially needed for the Ruben Studdard concert and Titan Idol contest on Monday, September 27. For more information on volunteer opportunities, please contact Jean Krystyniak at email@example.com.
More information on the Presidential Inauguration is available on the UDM website.
The following Dental School faculty were awarded promotion and/or tenure effective July 1, 2004:
- John Brand, associate professor of Diagnostic Sciences, has received tenure.
- William Forbes, assistant professor of Biomedical Sciences, has been promoted to associate professor with tenure.
- James Geist, associate professor of Diagnostic Sciences, has been promoted to full professor.
- James Winkler, associate professor of Periodontology and Dental Hygiene, has been promoted to full professor.
Mary Lou Caspers, professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry, and Elizabeth Roberts-Kirchhoff, associate professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry, recently published the following papers in the September/October 2003 issue of the journal Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Education: "An Undergraduate Laboratory Course with an Emphasis on a Research Experience" and "Incorporation of Ethical and Societal Issues in Biochemistry into a Senior Seminar Course."
Alan Hoback, associate professor of Civil Engineering, received third place for the Best Paper Award in the category "Simulated Engineering Ethics" at the 2004 American Society of Engineering Education NCS Conference last April.