Work Regulations for J-1 Students

On-campus Employment

On-campus employment regulations for students in J-1 status are essentially the same as those for students in F-1 status: You are permitted to work part time (up to 20 hours per week) while attending classes and full time (more than 20 hours per week) during vacation period and school holidays. University rules for on-campus employment also apply. For more information, please refer to the section on F-1 on-campus employment.

Off-campus Employment

Students in J-1 status are eligible to work off-campus work in their field of study only. This type of employment is referred to as academic training. At UDM, a period of academic training is often a part the J-1 program.

  • You must be authorized by the ISO before you can begin to work.
  • Have your employer write a letter of offer stating the dates of employment and the employer's address.
  • Take this letter to your academic advisor or dean and ask him or her to complete a Recommendation for Academic Training for J-1 Student form. (If your advisor does not have a copy of this form, please ask for one at the ISO.)
  • Bring the advisor Recommendation form to the ISO. Upon receipt of these forms, the ISO director will issue you a letter which authorizes you to work. Show this letter to your employer when you report to work.