On-Campus Employment for F-1 Students

Immigration regulations

F-1 students can work part time (up to 20 hours per week) on campus while they are attending classes and full time (more than 20 hours per week) during vacation semesters or when classes are not in session. 

University regulations

You can work 20 hours per week during the fall and winter semesters. If you are taking fewer than six credits in the summer term, you can work up to 35 hours. If you are taking at least six credits during the summer, work is limited to 20 hours per week. 

How to look for an on-campus job

First visit the Financial Aid office, located on the ground floor of the Fisher Building. Here, you will find postings advertising jobs available on campus. International students are eligible to work only at non work-study jobs--jobs which are not funded by the Federal (U.S.) or State Government. If you do not find any non work-study job opportunities listed, try visiting individual areas such as the library, Public Safety or the computer labs. Graduate students may also be able to find jobs as research or teaching assistants. Check with your department for information on these positions. You must secure a job no later than October 31 for the fall term and February 28 for the winter term.

Doing the paperwork

If you find a job, report immediately to the Financial Aid Office to complete your employee paperwork. Ask for the International Student Employee Packet. The packet contains an I-9 (Employment Eligibility) form. You must fill out this form and have your employment eligibility verified by the ISO within three days of being hired.

For additional information about working on campus as an international student, please visit the Financial Aid web site