Immigration Requirements for Admitted Students

In order to enter the U.S. in F-1 (Student) status, you will need the following documents:
  1. A valid passport obtained from your government. If you already have a passport, if possible, it should be valid for at least one year beyond your expected stay in the United States. You are required by law to keep your passport valid at all times during your stay in the U.S.
  2. A Form I-20 (certificate of eligibility), which will be issued to you by the University after you have completed all requirements for admission.
  3. A student visa. Applications for a student visa are made at the nearest United States Consular Office. You will need to take with you your passport, your Form I-20, evidence of adequate financial support for your studies, and your academic credentials. At the consulate, you will fill out an application form and be interviewed by a consular official. You will have to demonstrate to the consular official that you have sufficient financial support for your entire program and that you have strong ties to your home country and that you do not intend to immigrate to the U.S. Documents showing that you or your family owns property or a business in your country, or that you are employed or are being considered for employment upon your return may constitute evidence of intent to return home. If a visa is issued, it will be marked with the name of the school that issued your I-20. You must attend this school your first semester in the U.S. Any questions regarding visa applications should be addressed to the Consular Office. Apply early. Recent changes in U.S. visa laws and regulations have increased the length of time it can take to get a visa. More information on visa application is available at the U.S. Department of State Websites. Information on visa denials is available here.

Transfer students within the United States: If you already have an F-1 visa and wish to transfer from another U.S. university to University of Detroit Mercy, you must inform the foreign student advisor or other Designated School Official (DSO) at your current school of your intention to transfer to UDM. If you are eligible for transfer per immigration regulations, UDM will issue you a new I-20 when you arrive on campus and enroll in classes. If you plan to travel outside the U.S. before enrolling at UDM, we will issue the I-20 before your departure. When you reenter the U.S., you must present your UDM I-20 at the U.S. port of entry.