Getting involved in some of the many social, recreational and educational activities available on the UDM campus and in the Detroit metropolitan area is a great way to learn about the new culture, meet new people, and just kick back, relax and have fun! The UDM Student Life Office organizes a wide variety of activities for all students, and the International Services Office sponsors a number of events designed especially for international students. To learn more, click on the links to the left and on the link to UDM News and Events above.
Not only does UDM strongly encourage you to consider living on campus to facilitate your acculturation, following are just a few reasons why many of our domestic and international students choose to live on campus...
- The residence hall population is comprised of 800 energetic, friendly, interesting people… all working toward the same goal - academic and personal growth. Also, being a part of a community reinforces and enhances the acculturation process.
Independence and responsibility
- Life beyond high school brings with it new responsibilities, like budgeting and time management. The transition will be smoother when spent in a friendly, supportive environment.
- Residence halls put classrooms, faculty, support services, and campus recreation at your doorstep. In addition, quick, easy, and nutritious meal plans are available.
Interpersonal and leadership skills
- Prepare for leadership opportunities in your future career by learning to communicate, understand, and motivate others. Living on campus gives you practical experience outside the classroom.
- The 80-plus clubs and organizations available at UDM are even easier to get involved with when you live on campus. Enjoy activities that are built on common bonds-from social clubs to academic organizations and even intramural sports.
Greater career opportunities
- Friendships that residence hall students make with fellow students are lasting ones-often evolving into a lifelong network of clients, colleagues, and contacts to serve you in your future.
Beyond the books
- Outside the University gates, a bustling city awaits you. Detroit… The Motor City… Motown. Enjoy nightlife, dancing, comedy clubs, and concerts. Enjoy cultural events, museums, opera, and live theatre. Sports more to your liking? How about the Red Wings, Tigers, Pistons, Lions - and even our own UDM Titans at Calihan Hall.
- Students who live in a residence hall consistently have higher grades than non-resident classmates. Plus, they are more likely to graduate and to do so within the goal of four years.