Minimal Requirements for International Students
firstname.lastname@example.org. Before the University will review your file for admissions consideration, you must minimally do the following...The following are minimal requirements for all international student applicants. Your program may require additional requirements. For further assistance, contact UDM’s International Admissions Counselor (Steven Coddington) via email at
- Contact a recognized educational credential evaluation service based in the United States such as the World Education Services or the Educational Credential Evaluators. Order the evaluation stated below, and have the results sent to the University (see address below).
- If you use WES, order the Document-by-Document Report if you are applying as a Freshman Student. Order the Course-by-Course Basic Evaluation if you are applying as a Transfer Student or a Graduate Student with previous foreign college coursework.
- If you use ECE, order the General Report with Grade Average if you are applying as a Freshman Student. Order the Course-by-Course Report if you are applying as a Transfer Student or a Graduate Student with previous foreign college coursework.
- High school coursework done in the U.S. and Ontario Canada need not be evaluated by WES or ECE. If the transcripts are in English, just have them sent to UDM.
- College/university coursework done in the U.S. and Ontario Canada (if using a 4.0 grade point scale and the transcripts are in English) need not be evaluated by WES or ECE. Just have them sent to UDM.
- Certain Graduate Programs do not require a credential evaluation if the coursework was done in certain countries. Check with the International Admissions Counselor to determine if your graduate program requires an evaluation from your country.
- Submit a CV/Resume. This is required for almost every graduate Program at UDM. So, submitting one is important. For undergraduate students, unless otherwise specified, this requirement is optional.
If you are academically admitted to the University of Detroit Mercy, before you can be issued an I-20 to apply for a student visa, you must minimally do the following...
- Submit a Statement of Financial Support Form and a financial statement (not to be dated more than 4 months prior to your Desired Start Term), verifying that you and/or your sponsor has readily available funds to cover at least one year of study (including living expenses). For amounts, click here. NOTE: This requirement is waived for applicants on a work visa (e.g., TN, TD, H1-B, and H-4).
- Submit a copy of the information pages of your passport. Also, if you are currently in the U.S. on a visa, send a copy of that visa.
- Submit a Signature Page personally signed by you if applying online.