Minimal Requirements for International Students
- Contact a recognized educational credential evaluation service based in the United States such as the World Education Services or the Educational Credential Evaluators. Order the evaluation stated below, and have the results sent to the University (see address below).
- If you use WES, order the Document-by-Document Report if you are applying as a Freshman Student. Order the Course-by-Course Basic Evaluation if you are applying as a Transfer Student or a Graduate Student with previous foreign college coursework.
- If you use ECE, order the General Report with Grade Average if you are applying as a Freshman Student. Order the Course-by-Course Report if you are applying as a Transfer Student or a Graduate Student with previous foreign college coursework.
- High school coursework done in the U.S. and Ontario Canada need not be evaluated by WES or ECE. If the transcripts are in English, just have them sent to UDM.
- College/university coursework done in the U.S. and Ontario Canada (if using a 4.0 grade point scale and the transcripts are in English) need not be evaluated by WES or ECE. Just have them sent to UDM.
- Certain Graduate Programs do not require a credential evaluation if the coursework was done in certain countries. Check with the International Admissions Counselor to determine if your graduate program requires an evaluation from your country.
- Submit a CV/Resume. This is required for almost every graduate Program at UDM. So, submitting one is important. For undergraduate students, unless otherwise specified, this requirement is optional.
If you are academically admitted to the University of Detroit Mercy, before you can be issued an I-20 to apply for a student visa, you must sumbit the following documents:
- An official bank statement showing a total amount to cover the first year of study including tuition and living expenses. If your bank statement is provided by your sponsors, a Statement of Financial Support Form needs to be filled out by your sponsor(s). The official bank statement and the statement of financial support form can not be dated more than 3 months prior to your Desired Start Term). For UDM tuition and living expenses, click here. NOTE: This requirement is waived for applicants on a work visa (e.g., TN, TD, H1-B, and H-4).
- Submit a copy of the information pages of your passport. Also, if you are currently in the U.S. on a F-1, J1 visa or any other visas, send a copy of that visa.