Impact - Fall 2005
Now It’s Time to Move Ahead
In mid-August, when I returned from my summer of study and reflection, I presented five themes for future emphasis in the College:
- Innovation, entrepreneurship and creativity in service to the community
- Education of responsible and effective global leaders
- Computationally intensive science and engineering
- Inter-college service and collaboration
- Aggressive and focused marketing
I am pleased at the positive response that these have received from the college’s faculty, alumni and corporate partners. This response confirms my confidence that these focal areas are both “on target” in today’s world and in Detroit, and that they are aligned well with the mission and values of our University and College.
The faculty of the College has embraced these themes and moved quickly forward in selecting relevant initiatives that they feel are most appropriate and “doable.” In some cases, these initiatives are still being studied; in other cases, progress has been made to launch new courses, programs and activities. Here is a sampling of initiatives:
- Interdisciplinary Design, Entrepreneurship and Service (IDEAS) studio-based course is under development by a team from four UDM colleges and schools, and will be piloted next fall.
- Engineering and business faculty members have created a four year plan to develop entrepreneurship cases, courses, certificate and minor, and support has been requested from a foundation.
- The establishment of a chapter of “Engineers without Boarders” is being evaluated.
- International universities have been invited to link their students to ours at UDM on design projects.
- The E&S faculty have developed a laptop specification and computational vision as a preamble to a possible laptop program for students.
- The “Engineering Road-shows” are being scheduled at over twenty schools, with a target of fifty schools for the year.
To support the faculty travel and time dedicated to these and other initiatives I have asked 14 alumni for support totaling more than $100,000 for program development and launch. So far, 12 alumni have indicated that they will support these exciting projects.
If you would like to discuss these initiatives and the many ways you can make a difference in the future of the College, please call me at (313-993-1216) or send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dr. Leo E. Hanifin, Dean
Warning: include() [function.include]: URL file-access is disabled in the server configuration in /var/www/udmercy.edu/www.udmercy.edu/alumni/newsletters/fall05/impact/dean.php on line 88
Warning: include(http://www.udmercy.edu/includes/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: no suitable wrapper could be found in /var/www/udmercy.edu/www.udmercy.edu/alumni/newsletters/fall05/impact/dean.php on line 88
Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening 'http://www.udmercy.edu/includes/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/var/www/phplib') in /var/www/udmercy.edu/www.udmercy.edu/alumni/newsletters/fall05/impact/dean.php on line 88