Renovations, moves offer enhancements for programs, students

Impact, Winter 2002

A number of renovations and relocations this past summer will benefit both UDM’s educational offerings and, most importantly, its students. The renovations were all funded by contributions to the University’s Legacy Campaign.


classroom renovation Five of the six classroom renovations in the Engineering Building involved rooms that had been built in 1927. The rooms were completely modernized with new wall treatments, carpeting, writing surfaces and seating.

“They were quite a nice addition to the buildings’ amenities,” says Ken Henold, associate dean, College of Engineering and Science.

The sixth room is a large classroom created by the renovation of a former laboratory.

“These six classrooms provide the classroom space needed to move all the math and computer science classes to the Engineering Building,” Henold continues.

To accommodate the moving of Physics classes from the Engineering Building to the Chemistry Building, additional renovations were needed. Two new classrooms were created in the Chemistry Building. One resulted from the renovation of a previously unusable classroom on the second floor. A major laboratory in the Chemistry Building was subdivided to make way for a second classroom and a Physics lab.

“The moves of the math and computer science faculty to the Engineering Building and the Physics faculty to the Chemistry Building will hopefully allow for more synergy in the research and educational activities of the faculty involved,” Henold explains.

Finally, the space in the Engineering Building formerly used for the Physics laboratory is being redesigned to accommodate two major advanced computing labs to be constructed, thanks to a gift from Ford Motor Company.