Making a difference…
Impact, Summer 2003
Gift furnishes Chemistry Building seminar room
Renovations in the Chemistry Building continue to be made possible by alumni and other donors. Most recently a gift from Jonathan Rose (’81) has paid for furniture for the new seminar room (Room 213).
A total of six areas have been renovated or built in the Chemistry Building, which now houses the Physics department, including two new Physics labs and a new classroom, plus the renovation of Room 213. The Physics Department was previously located in the Engineering Building.
Classroom named for Lear
The first installment of a gift from Lear Corporation to UDM for capital renovation projects has helped to renovate a classroom in the Engineering Building. Lear made a $250,000 pledge to UDM in summer 2001 to be paid over four years.
The Lear Classroom is one of a number of improvements being made in the Engineering Building. Five of six classroom renovations in the building involved rooms built in 1927. As part of the modernization, the rooms have new wall treatments, carpet, writing surfaces and seating. Some of the rooms also have high-resolution computer projectors for computer-generated models and presentations.
Father Gerard Albright Hall Campaign under way
A campaign is under way to renovate a lecture hall in the Ford Life Sciences Building and name the state-of-the-art lecture hall for Biology Professor Gerard Albright, S.J. The goal is to make the facility the premier lecture hall at UDM, to be used for major lectures and events, as well as regular classes. The initiative is in its early stages, with approximately $45,000 donated or pledged to date. The goal is $500,000.
Albright began his career at the University in 1955 as a part-time instructor. In the fall of 1960, he became a full-time faculty member. He served as chair of the Department of Biology four times and previously was associate dean of Humanities and Religion (1969-70) and dean of Liberal Arts (1979-82). He estimates that in his 42 years at the University, he has taught more than 4,000 students. To serve students better, he lived in the student residence halls for 23 years.
To participate in this opportunity to honor Albright, contact Marc D. Melamed, director of Development, College of Engineering & Science, at 313-993-1510 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Denso donating equipment
Denso International America, Inc., has recently donated instrumentation valued at nearly $95,000 to be used primarily by UDM’s Mechanical and Electrical & Computer Engineering departments.